What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Kenneth Walker III - SEA (1 Viewer)

Name the last great RB to come from either Michigan or UCLA. Bonus points if these players are still in the NFL making touchdowns and racking up yards.

We may be here a while.

I don't Charb changes that narrative either.
UCLA is pretty easy. Maurice Jones Drew.

I have no idea how Charbonnet will do in the pros. A lot of that has to do with opportunity and he’s got a great back in front of him. But take it from someone who has watched nearly every game of Bruin football for the last 40 years: he’s the best ever RB at UCLA.

Right, Drew has been retired for a few years now. That's my point. These schools are not putting RBs in the NFL. Chip Kelley's offense is not one that produces good NFL backs. Believe me, I was #1 fan of LaMichael James (who owns a fabulous burger joint a mile from me).
Again, I won’t argue whether or not Charbonnet will be good or great in the NFL. I certainly hope so but I have no idea.
But I think the history of running backs out of one school vs another is kind of irrelevant to the question. We’re discussing one player, not the history he represents. When Seattle drafted him I doubt they examined the record of other previous running backs from the same school.

We are discussing a player who hails from 2 different schools - neither one is churning out productive RBs in the NFL. You say that's irrelevant but I disagree.

This year, I reached for Walker and didn't even consider Charbs later. Why? Because I think he's the better back, has all the confidence of Pete Carroll and gets to play the horrendous Rams and Cards twice. Hell, I think DeeJay Dallas will get more chances than Charb early in the season.

Charbs also played with one of the most dynamic QBs in the country last year. He benefitted greatly from that. The guy Walker III played with at Michigan State is selling women's shoes in Muskegon. He wasn't just the focal point of that Spartan offense - he WAS the offense. And defenses still couldn't stop him.

Get ready for 1,400 yards rushing, 500 receiving and 10 total TDs for WIII.

Name the last great RB to come from either Michigan or UCLA. Bonus points if these players are still in the NFL making touchdowns and racking up yards.

We may be here a while.

I don't Charb changes that narrative either.

Walker is from Michigan State and TJ Duckett wasn't great, but pretty good.

You would allow I know the difference between Michigan and Michigan State I hope. ;)

Charb was a U Mich player who transferred to UCLA. Neither has been a factory of good NFL RBs in several years. I don't think Charb will be the player to change that.

I think Walker is going to be a top 10 RB this year.

I misunderstood, but you can understand my rash reaction when my Spartans are compared to or mistaken for Wolverines.

It appears the Hawks strength of schedule against the run might be the #1 most difficult. Does that factor in at all?
Yes Walker gets to play ARZ twice and he feasted last year. But he also gets to play the 49ers twice.
Weeks 12-17 are brutal, so is their road schedule. The away game against ARZ is week 18 which doesn't count in most leagues.
I'm less concerned about Charbonnet and more about the back half of the schedule. Same goes for Geno.

Last edited:
It appears the Hawks strength of schedule against the run might be the #1 most difficult. Does that factor in at all?
Yes Walker gets to play ARZ twice and he feasted last year. But he also gets to play the 49ers twice.
Weeks 12-17 are brutal, so is their road schedule. The away game against ARZ is week 18 which doesn't count in most leagues.
I'm less concerned about Charbonnet and more about the back half of the schedule. Same goes for Geno.

Seattle opens with:
Rams - 13th against the run in 2022 and arguably one of the worst teams coming into 2023.
Lions - 29th against the run in 2022 and not expected to be an upper echelon defense in 2023.
Panthers - 18th against the run and a perpetual loser since Cam's MVP season
Giants - 27th against the run and not poised to be much better in 2023.

In week 5, they get Cincy, their first game against a good NFL defense. Next week, it's Arizona, which is as close to a bye in 2023 as a team will get.

Fast starts in fantasy are important and Walker III is going to be a big part of early season success.

Charbs also played with one of the most dynamic QBs in the country last year. He benefitted greatly from that. The guy Walker III played with at Michigan State is selling women's shoes in Muskegon. He wasn't just the focal point of that Spartan offense - he WAS the offense. And defenses still couldn't stop him.
The best recent version of MSU was when Walker played there. The guy really was unstoppable. 208 total yards vs UM on 26 touches.

Charbonnet exploded today for 1 yard on 3 carries, Also had 1 catch for 6 yards.

Walker, meanwhile, rested with the rest of the starters. Pass on him at your own risk.

So it’s a tale of Walker’s awesomeness that he was rested, but it’s also a sure sign of Carbonnet sucking that he was given only two touches and lots of rest? Mmkay.
What??

First of all, never did I say Walker was awesome or that Charbs sucks.

Walker sat all preseason. Charbs did not.
Charbs wasn't that impressive in the preseason. Especially the last game.
Walker was impressive last year against NFL starters.
Walker has been named the starter. Charbs isn't even #2. He is #3 behind DeeJay Dallas.

I understand your thoughts. Plenty of experts feel Charbs is a huge threat to Walker. You are not alone.

The best recent version of MSU was when Walker played there. The guy really was unstoppable. 208 total yards vs UM on 26 touches.
This debate has been ongoing since the draft.

At this point I am just going to wait and see what happens on Sunday.

Groin injuries are tricky. He is an afternoon game. I'll keep an eye out on how I'm doing and keep a pivot on the back burner. I want to play him in the matchup but I have no clue how his health really is so depending on where we are point-wise in our matchup I could see playing safe with Jake Ferguson in the Sunday night matchup.

My concern isn't so much the groin, it's the game itself. They shouldn't need him to win this game.
Could easily see them giving him a handful of carries and then have a seat for when we really need you.

Can only imagine the Charbs hype should that happen. lol.

My concern isn't so much the groin, it's the game itself. They shouldn't need him to win this game.
Could easily see them giving him a handful of carries and then have a seat for when we really need you.

Can only imagine the Charbs hype should that happen. lol.

Well I was way off. Huge upset.

That being said, Walker saw almost all the work.

Kenneth Walker rushed 12 times for 64 yards in the Seahawks’ Week 1 loss to the Rams, adding four catches for three yards.

Coming off a groin injury that sidelined him for several weeks in camp and then reappearing in practice this week, there was some concern that Walker would be limited in Week 1 or lack his explosive running style. Though he didn’t find the end zone this week, it was clear that he wasn’t hampered by the issue at all. Walker ceded just five carries to his backups and finished the day tied for a team-high in targets. He will look to rebound in a solid matchup versus the Lions next week.

- Rotoworld

While nobody looks great behind this line, here is the comparison after week 2.

29 carries to 7
7 targets to 2

All Walker, but he needs to do better.

Kenneth Walker has seen 74 percent of the Seahawks’ rush attempts.

Walker also has a route rate of 44 percent. He isn’t playing a three-down role for Seattle, but a two-and-half-down role would be a fair characterization of his job. Per usual, Walker is seeing all of the team’s short-yardage work. He has been on the field for all nine of the Seahawks’ plays with less than three yards to the sticks.

Source:

He plays football well. In all seriousness, his instinctive cuts are fun to watch. The question now is how long he stays healthy and how long you keep him before moving him. The running back shelf life just stinks.

He plays football well. In all seriousness, his instinctive cuts are fun to watch. The question now is how long he stays healthy and how long you keep him before moving him. The running back shelf life just stinks.
https://x.com/MattWaldman/status/1703611811730239514?s=20
I see a little bit of Barry Sanders in the way he runs. I loved watching Barry play when I was a kid, and I got that same feeling when I watched Walker’s college highlights. That made him a must pick for me in last year’s rookie draft at #2 when most others were suggesting Drake London in that spot. Glad I went with my guy.

Someone offered me him in a two-two deal in a trade (Walker/Meyers for Pacheco/Puka full ppr) and I think that schedule is the deal breaker for me.

Gonna mull it over a little longer though.

Someone offered me him in a two-two deal in a trade (Walker/Meyers for Pacheco/Puka full ppr) and I think that schedule is the deal breaker for me.

Gonna mull it over a little longer though.
Yep, I'd have a hard time taking that offer.

Seahawks RB Kenneth Walker (calf) did not participate in Wednesday practice.
Walker has seen high usage this season, including 18 touches in Week 8 against the Cardinals. With an apparent calf injury, his usage may decrease if he plays in Week 8. Walker has been a low-end RB1 this season and fantasy managers should keep an eye on his progress throughout the week. Zach Charbonnet would stand to benefit from Walker missing a game, but Charbonnet is dealing with a hamstring injury, leaving DeeJay Dallas as next man up.

One of my very few redraft successes. And he hasn't even been that good.
The Seahawks run blocking has graded very poorly and Walker still finds a way to put up points. Still wish he was a more efficient runner especially near the goal line but he’s doing a lot better considering the doom-and-gloom I kept hearing in the fantasy community after the Seahawks drafted Charbonnet.

One of my very few redraft successes. And he hasn't even been that good.
The Seahawks run blocking has graded very poorly and Walker still finds a way to put up points. Still wish he was a more efficient runner especially near the goal line but he’s doing a lot better considering the doom-and-gloom I kept hearing in the fantasy community after the Seahawks drafted Charbonnet.

Walker is a tough, talented RB. Lot of football left.

THU, OCT 26, 6:43 PM ROTOWIRE.COM
Walker (calf) was a non-participant at Thursday's practice, John Boyle of the Seahawks' official site reports.
Spin: Walker now has only one more opportunity to fit in some on-field work this week as he tends to a calf injury. As for the rest of Seattle's injured running backs, Zach Charbonnet (hamstring) returned to a full practice Thursday, and Kenny McIntosh (knee), who was designated for return from injured reserve Wednesday, also didn't have a cap on his reps. If Walker is limited or sidelined this weekend, Charbonnet likely would be the biggest beneficiary, with DeeJay Dallas and potentially McIntosh (if he's activated) also in the RB mix.

Oh man...the Charbonnet backers will be well prepared for this.

Not too worried about Walker.
Nothing changes for all the Charbers either way. Exactly how it's always been. Only way he has fantasy value is Walker is out for injury or you play in a 16+ team league. And even then, I think I could do better.

60/40 split with healthy Walker was not happening this year. Was always much adieu about nothing. This is Pete Carrol's Seahawks and Walker is RB1

The Charbs vs Walker debate was fierce here. 109 carries to 23 carries later I guess the debate is over? Charbs is a good hand cuff.
It's more one sided than even I thought.
I was wrong. What a bad pick by Seattle. I gave them too much credit.
Hard to say it's a bad pick. Seattle lost all rb depth. Walker goes down and Charbs takes over then it's a good pick. Ha ha. Drafting him might allow Seattle to move on instead of pay Walker down the road. I was never on the side that said Charbs wasn't a good player. My stance was when both are healthy no way Pete gives this rookie heavy usage. Walker is just really good.

Users who are viewing this thread