What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Leonard Fournette, FA (1 Viewer)

Who cares if a guy who still looks like he's cut out of stone is a few pounds "overweight". Either his NFL team will get him where they want him or they won't care that he's at 240. The tiny bit of agility he'd gain by dropping a few pounds isn't his game anyways, at all. 

You're reaching for anything at this point. Stick with the stuff on tape you don't like, it has merit.
This...

Let an NFL team decide his ideal weight.  It's one thing to pull a number out of the air (like, 225) and another to be at a natural weight for your frame and build.  I would fully expect a guys weight to fluctuate at different times of the year, especially one with a bigger frame.

Is a few pounds really a concern for a young man who has the rigors of an NFL training schedule in front of him?  I imagine losing 10 pounds is, no pun intended, a piece of cake.

So, is Fournette another Le'veon Bell who came into the league around 244 and is now widely considered the best back in the league?  Or is he the next Eddie Lacy or Karlos Williams doomed for late night snacks with his pregnant girlfriend?  It all seems a little premature right now...

This...

Let an NFL team decide his ideal weight.  It's one thing to pull a number out of the air (like, 225) and another to be at a natural weight for your frame and build.  I would fully expect a guys weight to fluctuate at different times of the year, especially one with a bigger frame.

Is a few pounds really a concern for a young man who has the rigors of an NFL training schedule in front of him?  I imagine losing 10 pounds is, no pun intended, a piece of cake.

So, is Fournette another Le'veon Bell who came into the league around 244 and is now widely considered the best back in the league?  Or is he the next Eddie Lacy or Karlos Williams doomed for late night snacks with his pregnant girlfriend?  It all seems a little premature right now...
The problem with all of this is that he was already told his ideal playing weight by his coaches once before and he didn't get to it.  So clearly not a "piece of cake" for him.

For me, it's a minor issue, but stuff like the above is silly to say when he's had problems doing EXACTLY what was described would be easy for him already.

The problem with all of this is that he was already told his ideal playing weight by his coaches once before and he didn't get to it.  So clearly not a "piece of cake" for him.

For me, it's a minor issue, but stuff like the above is silly to say when he's had problems doing EXACTLY what was described would be easy for him already.
Big difference between college and the NFL.

DropKick said:
Who do you like at the 1.01?  And how much will/can that change after the NFL draft?
The NFL draft will add more clarity and for any major variance between NFL draft and my rankings, I'll certainly reconsider my rankings. For now I have McCaffrey and Davis 1-2. 

The NFL draft will add more clarity and for any major variance between NFL draft and my rankings, I'll certainly reconsider my rankings. For now I have McCaffrey and Davis 1-2. 
I'm hoping the actual draft shakes things up a bit.  I have Davis ahead of Williams too.  Thinking I have to trade into the 1.4 or 1.5 range to have a shot.  I don't think I can get a higher pick without grossly overpaying.

What are the odds that Fournette drops to #24 to Oakland?

Could the weight issues, plus his pathetic vertical, plus his physical running style, plus Christian McCaffery's ascension make this a realistic possibility?

It would be an ideal landing spot for both player and team IMO.

Nothing is 0% in the NFL draft and anyone saying so has no memory.

It's very unlikely, but it's not like we haven't seen many times before a projected top 10 guy drop well into the 20's (or later) and vice versa.

LawFitz said:

Could the weight issues, plus his pathetic vertical, plus his physical running style, plus Christian McCaffery's ascension make this a realistic possibility?

what effing weight issues are you guys talking about?  They only people that have an issue with it is like 3 posters on this board

Those of you saying 0% must be discounting the possibility of a video surfacing on draft night showing Fournette smoking weed in a gas mask.  That's been known to unexpectedly drop a can't-miss prospect by half a round or so...

Anything can happen.  It's just moderately unlikely.

Those of you saying 0% must be discounting the possibility of a video surfacing on draft night showing Fournette smoking weed in a gas mask.  That's been known to unexpectedly drop a can't-miss prospect by half a round or so...

Anything can happen.  It's just moderately unlikely.
Hahaha crazy that the smoking weed in a gas mask video released the night before the draft actually happened.

Did I miss the video of Aaron Rodgers smoking weed?
Yeah, I don't think it would take anything crazy. There are probably only a small handful of teams willing to take a RB early in rd 1, so if you combine that with the depth of this RB class, I could easily see a number of early teams passing on him and LF falling into the hands of a team in the 20s.

Many people have Ezekiel Elliott on the brain, but Zeke was coming off a much better college season, didn't have nearly as deep a prospect class, and is a much more complete running back. Plus he had crazy Jerruh making the pick.

Yeah, I don't think it would take anything crazy. There are probably only a small handful of teams willing to take a RB early in rd 1, so if you combine that with the depth of this RB class, I could easily see a number of early teams passing on him and LF falling into the hands of a team in the 20s.

Many people have Ezekiel Elliott on the brain, but Zeke was coming off a much better college season, didn't have nearly as deep a prospect class, and is a much more complete running back. Plus he had crazy Jerruh making the pick.
Gurley the year before helped Zeke too. 

I don't understand why Fournette is so high in these mock drafts. Derrick Henry seems like a closer comp than Zeke. 

I have the likely 1.01 in a league, and if it does end up being Fournette based on rankings, I'll gladly trade out of that spot as I'm not on his bandwagon, I'm kind of 1/4 mile behind the bandwagon but I'm catching up.  
So nothing has changed in the last 5 months other than me securing the 1.01 (through trade), but I'm just torn on the guy.  Not sure what to think of him.  I'd ideally like to trade to 3 and 4 and grab Davis/McCaffrey but the problem is they aren't the same owner.  Other avenues are being pursued but I might be forced to take a guy I'm not high on which I hate doing.  I've watched/read so much on Fournette and I just can't convince myself that he's this great RB prospect.  

So nothing has changed in the last 5 months other than me securing the 1.01 (through trade), but I'm just torn on the guy.  Not sure what to think of him.  I'd ideally like to trade to 3 and 4 and grab Davis/McCaffrey but the problem is they aren't the same owner.  Other avenues are being pursued but I might be forced to take a guy I'm not high on which I hate doing.  I've watched/read so much on Fournette and I just can't convince myself that he's this great RB prospect.  
my brother was in this spot in our 12 team TE premium league. Had only the 1.01 and wasnt high on LF or Cook.

Ended up moving the 1.01, 18' 2nd, Sanu for 1.07, 1.08, 2.08,3.07, 3.08, and 18' 1st

Not sure how i feel about it, but there should be 2 quality guys available at 7,8 so might be fine

LawFitz said:

Literally no chance. He will be the first RB selected and will go in the top 15.

I'm in the exact same spot in one of my leagues. 

Last edited by a moderator:
my brother was in this spot in our 12 team TE premium league. Had only the 1.01 and wasnt high on LF or Cook.

Ended up moving the 1.01, 18' 2nd, Sanu for 1.07, 1.08, 2.08,3.07, 3.08, and 18' 1st

Not sure how i feel about it, but there should be 2 quality guys available at 7,8 so might be fine
Is your brother run it up?  That's the exact trade he mentioned making in the McCaffrey thread...

petekrum said:
Literally no chance. He will be the first RB selected and will go in the top 15.
Meh, I don't see this guy as a sure fire top 15 prospect in today's NFL. We'll see how it goes.

Having a hard time with the Fournette hate, on tape he's does nothing but impress me. Does anyone have tape strictly on his flaws?

Sooooo, what team in the top 10 would be best for Fournette's dynasty value?  Kind of worried if he goes to Jacksonville or Carolina.  1 has a bad o-line and bad QB and the other works out of the shotgun a lot, which isn't where Fournette is best.

I'm hoping for the 49ers or the Browns surprisingly.  Shanahan is good for any offense long term, and the Browns just fortified their O-line.  Even with QB troubles, he should be good from year 1.
This is what I'm worried about also...and feel WILL happen.  Adding to the Carolina fears is Cam Newton vulturing TDs near the goal line.

Vid of him smoking pot in high school could get released on draft day...
Yes, and he could decide he doesn't want to play football...

...or get in a car accident and lose a leg...

...or have Donald Trump name him Vice President...

...or have Bill Gates offer him 12 billion dollars to not play football...

But these speculations are totally without value.  Its peoples opinions at the current time that are being offered.

LSU RB Leonard Fournette forced 44 percent more missed tackles in 2015 compared to 2016, according to Graham Barfield's charting.
Barfield puts Fournette's struggles against Alabama into perspective. On 36 carries against Alabama in 2015 and 2016, Fournette only created 1.36 yards per carry. On 159 charted carries versus other opponents, Fournette created 6.83 yards per carry. The differences between Fournette's effectiveness in 2016 versus 2015 are drastic, both on paper and when watching his games.

Source: Graham Barfield on Twitter

If Jax used the 4th pick on him, I don't see that being a poor landing spot. With Coughlin/Marrone running the show they would love to be a power running team to go with what should be a young and improving defense.

Either Carolina or Jacksonville would have me desperately trying to move the 1.01. Not sure I have to explain but Newton would match better with a smaller back who runs mainly out of the shotgun. The jags have a guy named Bortles and a crappy line. I don't know why people keep bringing this up as a good spot. There's a reason they've had three different starters in three seasons and they've all failed badly.

Either Carolina or Jacksonville would have me desperately trying to move the 1.01. Not sure I have to explain but Newton would match better with a smaller back who runs mainly out of the shotgun. The jags have a guy named Bortles and a crappy line. I don't know why people keep bringing this up as a good spot. There's a reason they've had three different starters in three seasons and they've all failed badly.
Jax is working on improving it's o-line, and Bortles has shown promise before last season's regression (reportedly he has worked through some of his delivery issues).

Personally I was not a fan of Yeldon as a prospect so his "failures" do not surprise me, nor does Ivory's inability to stay healthy.

Carolina, I can agree with - unless they were willing to overhaul their offense to have Newton under center more (which I don't see happening).

Yes. The reason is that they're average backs.

Because the Jags have Bottles they would lean heavily on the run game.

One unsung aspect of the running game is having a QB that can read defenses well.  A prime example of this was the Broncos when they sat Brock and put Peyton back in.  He was throwing terribly, but he could read the defenses and the RBs were getting holes much easier.  The QB rearranged the blocking scheme at the line to make sure that the RB has somewhere to go, and a bad QB can't account for this on a regular basis.

I honestly don't know how good Bortles is at reading defenses pre-snap, but it appears that he's not very good at it.  That has a chance to limit a RBs effectiveness in that offense.  The Jags are working to upgrade their offensive line, which is good, but it's still not an ideal spot for a RB to land.  That said, if it was an ideal spot they usually wouldn't be drafting top 10.

I'd rather have him go to the Jags than Carolina, but that's mainly because I don't think Cam will ever stop goal line rushing.  He likes to be the hero and this is 1 place he usually dominates.  I could see a RB having limited touches in the red zone compared to other teams.

The amateur scouts always try to ding the top prospects. Happens every draft season. 
I actually think "amateur scouts" whether it's media or us regular Joes actually do a decent job at figuring out strengths and weaknesses based on the information available to the public. Also, let's not act like NFL GMs are batting 1.000, even on top prospects. And they have a lot more information.

The other thing specifically for this board is the fantasy factor. A solid rotational player that gets 900 yards and 5 TDs for 8 years is a "win" for an NFL team (hitting a single or a double if you listen to DJ and Bucky) but I doubt anyone here is bragging about taking that player early in their draft. 

By no means am I saying that media or us FBGs are better than NFL GMs but the information and opinions give the reads a good platform to build an opinion. But it's the importance of the players strengths and weaknesses that is up in the air. How much does McCafferys and Fournettes weight matter? How important is Williams and Cooks speed? How well does Player X's style convert to the NFL? And so on. This is where NFL draft decision makers earn their pay cheque. 

I just don't see the Panthers taking a RB in the 1st. Maybe I'm wrong, but because EVERYONE is mocking that, all the more reason I think it won't happen. 

Users who are viewing this thread