What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Le'Veon Bell, FA - 9.6.21 Workout For Baltimore (1 Viewer)

This is about the most brutal commentary from any player I’ve ever seen: 

:unsure:

Steelers LG Ramon Foster and C Maurkice Pouncey expressed frustration with Le'Veon Bell continuing his holdout on Wednesday.

"What do you do? Here’s a guy who doesn’t give a damn, so I guess we’ll treat it as such. I just hate it came to this," Foster said. "He’s making seven times what I make, twice as much as [LT] Al [Villanueva] is making and we’re the guys who do it for him." Pouncey added, "The business part...I get it. But not if it's game day. We have a game this Sunday, we're all the way into the game plan and you're still not here?" Players typically side with players on money, but not when it's costing the team potential wins with Bell not showing up. This is getting ugly for Bell.

Last edited by a moderator:
ghostguy123 said:
I don't get it.  If they can rescind the tag and then sign him to a long term deal, then what is the point of the negotiating deadline?
The negotiating deadline was just for the Steelers, wasn't it?  If they rescind the tag, all teams can offer him something. 

ghostguy123 said:
Based on some things people have said, I think we need an iron clad answer on this:

If the Tag is rescinded, can the Steelers make offers, or just all the other teams?
All teams 

As I said 3 posts earlier, he would be a free agent (unrestricted).
As I said in the post you quoted, what is the point of the deadline if they could just be negotiating this whole time?

I get you can only tag one player, but once he was tagged they could have tried working on a deal this entire time.  

Not looking very likely at the moment though.

The negotiating deadline was just for the Steelers, wasn't it?  If they rescind the tag, all teams can offer him something. 
Right, I get it, but if they were to rescind the tag right NOW, and offer him a Gurley type deal, who is going to offer more than that?  WHo would bring him in a couple days before the season starts on a salary that would beat that?

Then again, Mack just signed for like a billion dollars.

As I said in the post you quoted, what is the point of the deadline if they could just be negotiating this whole time?

I get you can only tag one player, but once he was tagged they could have tried working on a deal this entire time.  

Not sure what you are getting at.  Once a player is tagged, he is not able to negotiate with other teams.  He can negotiate with his team until the deadline.  If a team rescinds the tag (whether before or after the deadline), the player becomes a FA instantly.  He can then negotiate with ANY team (including his previous team, but why would he).  I don’t see why this is confusing to you.

Wat? Bc if you rescind the tag, anyone can make an offer, hence UFA.

Picking 11th in a non ppr draft just now. Went uber WR heavy and have just grabbed Conner at end of round 7. Worth the risk to possibly get an RB1 when you have DHop/Julio/Thielen and Cooper as your WR corps !

Right, I get it, but if they were to rescind the tag right NOW, and offer him a Gurley type deal, who is going to offer more than that?  WHo would bring him in a couple days before the season starts on a salary that would beat that?

Colts or Texans.  Both have far more cap space than Steelers.

This is about the most brutal commentary from any player I’ve ever seen: 

:unsure:
That's pretty freaking lame of them to say that, they know how this stuff works and the season hasn't even officially kicked off yet.  Shut up and let him do what he thinks is best.

Not sure what you are getting at.  Once a player is tagged, he is not able to negotiate with other teams.  He can negotiate with his team until the deadline.  If a team rescinds the tag (whether before or after the deadline), the player becomes a FA instantly.  He can then negotiate with ANY team (including his previous team, but why would he).  I don’t see why this is confusing to you.
I am saying they could have been negotiating a deal with Bell this entire time, rescind the tag, then offer him the deal.

Sure, other teams could jump in, but it would have avoided what happening now.  

Bringing up discussion doesnt mean I am confused by it.

That's pretty freaking lame of them to say that, they know how this stuff works and the season hasn't even officially kicked off yet.  Shut up and let him do what he thinks is best.
There might be something else there. Players don't usually do that, which is what I find so surprising. 

Then again, wasn't Maurkice wearing "Aaron Hernandez is innocent" shirts around? 

I mean, we're not talking about the constant font of judgment here.  

I am saying they could have been negotiating a deal with Bell this entire time, rescind the tag, then offer him the deal.

I read your comments all the time. You're a good dude, but you sound really confused about both the impetus for the rule and how the rule works.  

pitt is NOT going to offer him anything close to what gurley got, they went thru that negotiation. pitt said take it or leave it, he and agent said leave it, done, pitt will not offer more. *pitt will not rescind tag now and let another team sign him, at least not until after 10 weeks

Shut up and let them do what they think is best.  :excited:

Love their comments.

This is not possible per the league rules.  The Steelers are barred from any long-term negotiations from July until the end of the league year.

There might be something else there. Players don't usually do that, which is what I find so surprising. 

Then again, wasn't Maurkice wearing "Aaron Hernandez is innocent" shirts around? 

I mean, we're not talking about the constant font of judgment here.  
Yea it's really weird.   If they were all pro lineman year in and out and couldn't get a contract worked out they would be holding out too.  Stay out of the mans business/livelihood.

Yea it's really weird.   If they were all pro lineman year in and out and couldn't get a contract worked out they would be holding out too.  Stay out of the mans business/livelihood.
Part of me loves it, part of me thinks what you're saying. My initial reaction was what you were saying, but if he's (Bell) a true ####### and they wanna block for Conner? Go ahead. But you do have personalities on that line, from Pouncey to Foster to Vlllaneuva, so...

Well, Bell is affecting THEIR livelihood.  If Bell is free to hold out and F the team, I would think they are free to express their opinions.

VERY odd to me anyone would be bashing the teammates for speaking.

Well, Bell is affecting THEIR livelihood.  If Bell is free to hold out and F the team, I would think they are free to express their opinions.

There's generally an unwritten rule about holdouts and holding your tongue in pro sports. It's sort of a man's code where you don't screw with somebody else's determination of their own and only livelihood, one that is seriously limited in terms of earning years. 

It is an unwritten code broken every so often, like today. 

There's generally an unwritten rule about holdouts and holding your tongue in pro sports. It's sort of a man's code where you don't screw with somebody else's determination of their on livelihood. 

As I said, Bell is affecting THEIR livelihood by not playing.  A lineman's next contract looks a lot better when the RB is doing well, and I would think they would want Bell in there.  

Also, just possible that Bell LIED to some guys, which is why they are currently ticked.

Is bell under contract?  He has every right to hold out.

Nor should they.  Not unless they have a current agreement they have been working on, which certainly doesnt seem likely.
so ur implying, pitt FO and bell/agent could now be planning, 'hey, here's what we'll do, here's another offer, like gurleys, we'll rescind ur tag and you accept offer, okay?'

As I said, Bell is affecting THEIR livelihood by not playing.  A lineman's next contract looks a lot better when the RB is doing well, and I would think they would want Bell in there.  

Also, just possible that Bell LIED to some guys, which is why they are currently ticked.
Yeah, nobody really knows what's motivating them to speak thusly. 

I'm shuked. Like shadyridr said, I've never seen teammates in any sport go so public.  

There's generally an unwritten rule about holdouts and holding your tongue in pro sports. It's sort of a man's code where you don't screw with somebody else's determination of their own and only livelihood, one that is seriously limited in terms of earning years. 

They didn't say anything last year or this year until he started affecting their livelihoods by missing real games 

OK; I was the one confused then.  In your scenario, I’m sure that would be viewed by the NFL as a violation of the CBA. If they just “happened” to drop the tag, then just “happened” to offer him a blockbuster deal, I don’t Roger would look kindly upon that.

Did I ever say he didn't? 

They have the right to speak, right?
Sure people can say whatever they want, normally in team/pro sports you let people handle their own business though because you could be in the exact same spot someday.  If he doesn't want to play on a one year deal he shouldn't have to and his teammates should mind their own business imo. Its just really odd.

OK; I was the one confused then.  In your scenario, I’m sure that would be viewed by the NFL as a violation of the CBA. If they just “happened” to drop the tag, then just “happened” to offer him a blockbuster deal, I don’t Roger would look kindly upon that.
They know what they negotiated months ago.  They could certainly rescind the tag and make an offer that they think Bell would have taken back then.  

If they did that, sure it would look fishy I guess, but it is a possibility that it would have all been done within the rules.

They didn't say anything last year or this year until he started affecting their livelihoods by missing real games 
I've always really taken both sides of the argument seriously and am really only commenting on being surprised by the venom with which this seems to coming from the players. It seems there's a personal edge as opposed to the usual pleas for return, slight castigations, etc.  

Is bell under contract?  He has every right to hold out.
He’s not holding out; he’s not under contract.

Did they talk #### in Ben when he contemplated retirement?  Did they give AB #### when he was #####ing about his contract?  This is really unusual.  Unless we don’t know something (like he told them he was going to report today), their comments are really out of line.

I mean, players know what goes on. Blount took a bump for Bell when they got that weed charge and Bell skated, he's held out before, he makes top at his position, etc. 

Sure people can say whatever they want, normally in team/pro sports you let people handle their own business though because you could be in the exact same spot someday.  If he doesn't want to play on a one year deal he shouldn't have to and his teammates should mind their own business imo. Its just really odd.
This "IS" their business. It affects them directly.  They are allowed to speak. 

Wow, jsut wow, so weird Bell gets a pass for his "rights" and the other players do not.

Did they talk #### in Ben when he contemplated retirement?  Did they give AB #### when he was #####ing about his contract?  This is really unusual.  Unless we don’t know something (like he told them he was going to report today), their comments are really out of line.
None of those guys missed games due to their contracts

Unless it's personal and he's a bigger twit than we know.  

They know what they negotiated months ago.  They could certainly rescind the tag and make an offer that they think Bell would have taken back then.  

If they did that, sure it would look fishy I guess, but it is a possibility that it would have all been done within the rules.
It might be “technically” OK, but King Rodger has punished teams for less.  Washington and Dallas both got fined for not adhering to a non-existent cap before the lockout.  I’m sure he’d do something similar if Pitt tried what u r suggesting.

It might be “technically” OK, but King Rodger has punished teams for less.  Washington and Dallas both got fined for not adhering to a non-existent cap before the lockout.  I’m sure he’d do something similar if Pitt tried what u r suggesting.
It's within the rules.  I dont know when Goodell punished a team for less than something within the rules.  If he did, please give me an example.  Not suspending a player, but a TEAM issue.

Wouldn't this lead you to believe that he is the outlier and there is something else? Maybe he sucks as a teammate, maybe he is an #######, but these comments aren't there to single him out for nothing.

None of those guys missed games due to their contracts
Bells not missing games either.  He’s not under contract.  He’s not obligated to sign the tag.

Did Marshawn Lynch’s teammates talk #### when he retired, then un-retired?

Did Aaron Donald’s teammates talk #### when he held out week 1 last year?

Players are supposed to have each other’s backs when it comes to the business side of the NFL.  When you’ve got guys taking the teams side, that speaks to more than just the guy not reporting.

Bells not missing games either.  He’s not under contract.  He’s not obligated to sign the tag.

Did Marshawn Lynch’s teammates talk #### when he retired, then un-retired?

Did Aaron Donald’s teammates talk #### when he held out week 1 last year?

Players are supposed to have each other’s backs when it comes to the business side of the NFL.  When you’ve got guys taking the teams side, that speaks to more than just the guy not reporting.
Seems like it speaks pretty much directly to the guy not reporting when all of a sudden a team has an uproar over the guy.  Maybe Bell is ####### while those other guys were not.  Hmmmm

Users who are viewing this thread