What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Le'Veon Bell, FA - 9.6.21 Workout For Baltimore (2 Viewers)

Dr. Octopus said:
Sure - I’m not shedding tears for him but the Franchise Tag also restricted his true market value and while he made millions he also lost many more millions he could have potentially earned.
Sounds like a CBA complaint, not a complaint over what the Steelers are doing. Who even came up with the "running a guy into the ground" phrase... as if they are going out of their way to wreck him? I think an NFL team would want the ball in the hands of their stars. Are they supposed to play him one carry per series to be fair about paying him as a top NFL RB?

Sounds like a CBA complaint, not a complaint over what the Steelers are doing. Who even came up with the "running a guy into the ground" phrase... as if they are going out of their way to wreck him? I think an NFL team would want the ball in the hands of their stars. Are they supposed to play him one carry per series to be fair about paying him as a top NFL RB?
That's fair and I do agree it's a CBA issue but that goes back a few pages to who has the better bargaining/leverage position between the owners and NFLPA.

I'm saying from his perspective, he's forced into these one year deals where a team can then ruin his long term value by overworking him. I get that they would want to do that, as it helps them win but what's his incentive to allow it? I'm not implying that they are purposely trying to ruin his long term earning potential but at the same time I don't think they really care if they do by "running him into the ground". It's like when you drive a rental car, you're not going to purposefully wreck it but if you grind the transmission a little, who cares? 

It's just not a clear cut situation.

this guy gets it.  gurley is a one off not a market rate.  it was a dumb contract for the Rams but they can get away with it.  bell and his agent are idiots if they hold out.  his market rate is not what he thinks it is.  market rate is not determined by production, it is determined by supply and demand like anything else.  there are hundreds of guys that can be running backs in the NFL.  there are not hundreds of guys that can be OL,DL or QB in the NFL.  
This guys doesn’t get it.

Look at the rookie contracts for Zeke, Fournette, Barkley.  When they start coming due, they are going to force their teams to play closer to Gurley deals than McKinnon/Freeman deals.  When DJ signs his deal, that will also push RB contracts up.  Gurley’s deal wasn’t a “one off,” it was a change in the market rate.

”hundreds of guys who can be running backs in the NFL?” completely clueless.

Last edited by a moderator:
this guy gets it.  gurley is a one off not a market rate.  it was a dumb contract for the Rams but they can get away with it.  bell and his agent are idiots if they hold out.  his market rate is not what he thinks it is.  market rate is not determined by production, it is determined by supply and demand like anything else.  there are hundreds of guys that can be running backs in the NFL.  there are not hundreds of guys that can be OL,DL or QB in the NFL.  
:lmao: so bad and so funny. There aren't even 30 good backs in the NFL. There are 4 or 5 running backs per NFL team, there are 8 to 10 offensive lineman and the same number of defensive lineman.

This is a great alias though.

He may be there for 8 games but why would they use him. He has already said needs to take care of himself and stay healthy. No way would I run him out there, he could care less what the team does.
Because they still have to pay him and he still wants to get paid.  Basically. 

So nothing new on the Bell front?

Asking for a friend.
Yesterday, Le’Veon Bell’s agent suggested they wanted to know #Steelers’ plan for use of the RB. Today, HC Mike Tomlin said: “I don’t communicate w/ agents on how I use players. I communicate w/ players.” (Would not say if Le’Veon has asked that.)
@AKinkhabwala :wub:

Le'Veon Bell can be subject to a drug test upon signing his franchise tender. Per 2018 policy on substance abuse: "Any player desirous of signing a contract with an NFL club who has not had a test in the four-month period prior to his pre-employment test" is subject to testing
@rayfitt1

mr. peanut said:
no disagreement here.  i just think he is overvaluing his worth.  the franchise tag is a huge gift IMO.  he should be paid 4 x $5M.  instead he gets offered 1 x $15M and says no?  the reason he is saying no is he knows he is declining already and wants a long term deal because he may be worth 0 next year.  if he knows this so do NFL GM's thats why he is not getting paid.  if he were a free agent today he might get 4 x $8M tops.  
I don't even know where to start here. I disagree with everything.

That's kinda out of the blue, the drug testing part.  Is there any speculation that's why he hasn't signed yet?
caught me by surprise also. here is the tidbit from the article where I saw that:

Le'Veon Bell isn't showing up in time to play in Pittsburgh's first game of the 2018 season. Bell also hasn't offered a public reason why he is choosing to continue staying away from the team despite initially stating that he would be back for the start of the regular season back in February. Bell's continued silence and absence has led to speculation about why he is choosing to delay his return to the team. On Thursday, Ray Fittipaldo of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette alluded to the fact that Bell can be subject to a drug test open signing his tender. Bell has served two suspensions for violating the league's substance abuse polity. He served a two game suspension for his first violation in 2015 and a four game suspension for his second violation in 2016. 
https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/Article/LeVeon-Bell-drug-test-121509682/

That's fair and I do agree it's a CBA issue but that goes back a few pages to who has the better bargaining/leverage position between the owners and NFLPA.

I'm saying from his perspective, he's forced into these one year deals where a team can then ruin his long term value by overworking him. I get that they would want to do that, as it helps them win but what's his incentive to allow it? I'm not implying that they are purposely trying to ruin his long term earning potential but at the same time I don't think they really care if they do by "running him into the ground". It's like when you drive a rental car, you're not going to purposefully wreck it but if you grind the transmission a little, who cares? 

It's just not a clear cut situation.
Meh, his perspective is out of alignment with the players association perspective, who clearly saw enough upside to agree to this concept. The idea of a team overworking a player to reduce his future value sounds like a reach. Any team is going to use its player to the extent that helps them win. The people making play call decisions on game-day are definitely not giving a player the car rental treatment of 30+ carries with motive to wreck him. Why? Because I don't think those same coaches would make any different decisions for a guy on a long term contract. This is a win games or get fired deal for coaches, and they don't look at anything long term, whether it is game day concussion symptoms or anything else..

Meh, his perspective is out of alignment with the players association perspective, who clearly saw enough upside to agree to this concept. The idea of a team overworking a player to reduce his future value sounds like a reach. Any team is going to use its player to the extent that helps them win. The people making play call decisions on game-day are definitely not giving a player the car rental treatment of 30+ carries with motive to wreck him. Why? Because I don't think those same coaches would make any different decisions for a guy on a long term contract. This is a win games or get fired deal for coaches, and they don't look at anything long term, whether it is game day concussion symptoms or anything else..
Which is why Bell would be stupid imo to sign before week 10.

If he steps on the field he will be put at risk.  He will be the best player on his team and will see himself used as such.  When his goal is to make it to the next contract, why would he want to go along with this?

If he had gotten his long term deal I doubt he would have an issue with 400 carries - it would no longer threaten his financial goals.

If he steps on the field he will be put at risk.  He will be the best player on his team and will see himself used as such.  When his goal is to make it to the next contract, why would he want to go along with this?

If he had gotten his long term deal I doubt he would have an issue with 400 carries - it would no longer threaten his financial goals.
The only thing I dispute is the best player on the team.  Best athlete perhaps but Ben and Brown are more vital to the Steelers success

Rapoport saying he's reporting Saturday  :lmao:

Nfl Network
It's all speculation

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1037816786832580610

Ian Rapoport‏ @RapSheet

As the world waits for #Steelers RB Le'Veon Bell, there is no indication when he'll show up. A Saturday arrival would allow him to receive his game check, but there is no clear evidence that he's made plans to do that.
In the video, he says "the feeling in the building is that he reports Saturday"

Dr. Octopus said:
I'm sure he would make himself available to play, but is it a #### move akin to forcing a player to accept consecutive one year contracts while running him into the ground with no care for his long term outlook?

Both sides are in the wrong here.
get the hell outta here with this

I could easily destroy a full grown grizzly bear with my bare hands so I'm sure I could last 5+ carries in the NFL.

Bronco Billy said:
So being willing to take a loss in pay to damage the team, being very difficult to keep satisfied, wanting compensation well above the market, and multiple suspensions are highlights on his resume for negotiating with his next team?
Would you stop being a mark, that team crap is for college.  These are professionals in a business.  Are you starting a go fund me if he blows out a knee week 4 like countless guys before him? 

True that. I honestly can't say I'd carry the ball 400 times against NFL defenders for any amount of money.
I played rugby in college, now late 30s. a couple years ago figured I’d go join a men’s team and get back into it.  

It was all like 20-25 year old guys but I did alright at the first practice just got winded a lot.   

Then I woke up the next morning.

For the next week I couldn’t leave the house without 800 mg of ibuprofen and about a half a roll of tape holding my left groin muscle in place.  

Getting old is a real thing 

Bronco Billy said:
wanting compensation well above the market
I haven't been paying much attention but if I heard correctly he was offered TEN MILLION DOLLARS less in guaranteed money than Gurley wound up getting.

I'm sure age factors in here....but that sounds like compensation below market...

Yeah, I guess if he wants to forfeit 10 game checks of being the highest paid RB (and wind up with zippo vs that amount), sacrifice a year of what is already a short shelf life position, more power to him. It's not like he gets 5/8 of his salary going that route. There's a downside too. 

Not sure if mentioned, with big ben having an opinion, did he ever go to the front office and ask to take a paycut to increase bell's contract? 

I played rugby in college, now late 30s. a couple years ago figured I’d go join a men’s team and get back into it.  

It was all like 20-25 year old guys but I did alright at the first practice just got winded a lot.   

Then I woke up the next morning.

For the next week I couldn’t leave the house without 800 mg of ibuprofen and about a half a roll of tape holding my left groin muscle in place.  

Getting old is a real thing 
What position, and where at?  I played wing at a small school in VA.

Are players exempt from testing if they don't report? Anybody know?

I'm not insinuating anything, but it would be foolish to dismiss the possibility of avoiding testing if the above is true.
Not sure; since he’s not a player on a nfl team you’d think they can’t test him.  But the league kinda makes their own rules at times

Yeah, I guess if he wants to forfeit 10 game checks of being the highest paid RB (and wind up with zippo vs that amount), sacrifice a year of what is already a short shelf life position, more power to him. It's not like he gets 5/8 of his salary going that route. There's a downside too. 
The only downside he is worried about is losing the chance to get the next contract.

Users who are viewing this thread