What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Le'Veon Bell, FA - 9.6.21 Workout For Baltimore (2 Viewers)

There are no fines.  He's not under contract so he can't be fined. And they can't negotiate any payment other than what's on the Franchise tag contract, so they can't pay him more per week to make up for what he misses.
Yeah I thought it was a long shot too. 

Which I believe is fine with the Steelers (that seems to be what they are telegraphing with the contract offer etc.)
This is a really interesting point. 

By doing this the Steelers have basically gotten bell for the second half of the season and the playoffs for what, 7 million?  And they get a draft pick?  No wonder they low balled him. 

This is like Hans Gruber at Nakatome plaza.  They know the FBI is going to cut the power lines.  They're planning on it. 

By doing this the Steelers have basically gotten bell for the second half of the season and the playoffs for what, 7 million?  And they get a draft pick?  No wonder they low balled him. 

This is like Hans Gruber at Nakatome plaza.  They know the FBI is going to cut the power lines.  They're planning on it. 
Yeah........might help some of our ff teams too. Fresh Bell in the FF playoffs. 

You do? Maybe he hopes to cause them to miss the playoffs and then come in. Maybe he's going to come back week 4 and say hey ill sign the tag now or any time before week 9 if you waive the the fines and pay my my entire contract. 

They **** slapped him yo. He might have a smaller wiener but he's slapping them back with it. 
They can't pay the entire contract - the hands of the Steelers are tied because they put the Franchise Tag on him and have to follow the rules of the CBA. The Steelers can't say after 4 weeks - "We understand and its okay. Come on back and we will pay you for the 4 weeks you missed." The terms of the tag are the terms and they can't be changed. Period.

ETA - There are no fines  as he has not signed the tag. 

This is about principle for  Bell and he is willing to sacrifice $855K a week to make a point and hopefully make even more $ in his next contract. 

Last edited by a moderator:
They can't pay the entire contract - the hands of the Steelers are tied because they put the Franchise Tag on him and have to follow the rules of the CBA. The Steelers can't say after 4 weeks - "We understand and its okay. Come on back and we will pay you for the 4 weeks you missed." The terms of the tag are the terms and they can't be changed. Period.

This is about principle for  Bell and he is willing to sacrifice $855K a week to make a point and hopefully make even more $ in his next contract. 
Yeah if thats the case I'm rooting for Bell and officially rooting against my 2nd favorite team. I don't think they'll miss him much they are run pretty well but I dislike what they did to him. 

This.

With that said, Bell has put the Steelers in a bind previously (3 game suspension) and judging by the way his teammates fled from supporting him...the Steelers are also apparently standing on principle.  

He does have to return later this year, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he was inactive for any remaining games.

This.

With that said, Bell has put the Steelers in a bind previously (3 game suspension) and judging by the way his teammates fled from supporting him...the Steelers are also apparently standing on principle.  

He does have to return later this year, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he was inactive for any remaining games.
Think a lot of it might hinge on how good Pittsburgh is and how well Conner performs.  Leverage in the situation can shift wildly depending on their performance.

You do? Maybe he hopes to cause them to miss the playoffs and then come in. Maybe he's going to come back week 4 and say hey ill sign the tag now or any time before week 9 if you waive the the fines and pay my my entire contract. 

They **** slapped him yo. He might have a smaller wiener but he's slapping them back with it. 
Whoa ?

For the millionth time, they CAN pay him more than the tag this season if they want to.  

Yeah if thats the case I'm rooting for Bell and officially rooting against my 2nd favorite team. I don't think they'll miss him much they are run pretty well but I dislike what they did to him. 
Agreed, the Steelers gave him an offer that was not close to market in terms of guaranteed money. Of course, Pittsburgh is just playing by the rules of the system and using them to their advantage. Maybe the bigger issue should be with the inability of the players union to negotiate a better deal.....

Maybe, with regards to he bolderd.  As has been posted before, if he’s willing to forego $850K per week to save his body for next year, it doesn’t make a lot of sense to subject his body to (maybe 4) playoff games when he’s not obligated by a contract to do so, especially when he’d make, AT BEST, 1/4 of what he’s giving up,for each regular season game he skips.

Agreed, the Steelers gave him an offer that was not close to market in terms of guaranteed money. Of course, Pittsburgh is just playing by the rules of the system and using them to their advantage. Maybe the bigger issue should be with the inability of the players union to negotiate a better deal.....
Sucks though because the fans lose here. We miss the amazing plays he likely would have produced this year. 

Might have seen the last of peak Bell too.......

Drafting after a game has already been played?  Makes no sense at all.
It's a legit league dude... to each his own.

Anyhow, just wanted the insight on Bell.  I agree.  Stay away.  I don't have him on a single team this year.

For the millionth time, they CAN pay him more than the tag this season if they want to.  
Voluntarily - they would never do that - they would have 31 other owners to answer to but thanks for pointing that out. I never thought about the voluntarily angle. I haven't read every page of this thread so I did not pick up on that !!

my bad - I stand corrected - they can voluntarily pay him anything they want and give the $ money away without having a long term deal. That isn't very realistic but they could do it if they wanted to 

https://triblive.com/sports/steelers/14053654-74/explaining-the-ins-and-outs-of-leveon-bells-absence-from-steelers

Maybe for the playoffs. If he holds out til week 11 and loses that much money, i could see enough animosity built up that he goes home before the playoffs start.

I will always root for the player in contracts. I don't care if it is my least favorite player and my favorite team.

Reading fails you. If Gurley gets popped for a banned substance he gets 4 games. Wanna guess how long Bell gets for the same failed test?
Speaking of reading, I think you need to read up on the substance abuse policy. You're nuts if you think he and Gurley are on the same page regarding suspension risk.

Want to try again?
Link me and enlighten me.

Regardless, one player has been suspended twice, one has not. But OK, they are on the same risk page. :wall:

EDIT: I see he's not in the program as of last month. Still a huge risk difference between Gurley and Bell as far as potential suitors.

Speaking of reading, I think you need to read up on the substance abuse policy. You're nuts if you think he and Gurley are on the same page regarding suspension risk.
You’re nuts if you think you know where Gurley is with regards to suspension risk.  Under the current substance-abuse policy, the first suspension for violation is 4 games.  To get to that point, a player must have violated the policy 4 times.  After the first 3 violations, no one (other than the player & the NFL (& anyone the player chooses to inform) is made aware of the violations.  The player is placed into a substance-abuse program, then fined 2 game checks, then 4 checks, before a suspension is meted out.  The team isn’t notified until the 4th violation.  

So Gurley could have between 0-3 violations, and you wouldn’t have a clue.  Meanwhile, Bell faces a 4-game suspension for his next violation, as part of his agreement with the NFL after his missed test a few years ago resulted in a reduced 3-game suspension.

HTH

You’re nuts if you think you know where Gurley is with regards to suspension risk.  Under the current substance-abuse policy, the first suspension for violation is 4 games.  To get to that point, a player must have violated the policy 4 times.  After the first 3 violations, no one (other than the player & the NFL (& anyone the player chooses to inform) is made aware of the violations.  The player is placed into a substance-abuse program, then fined 2 game checks, then 4 checks, before a suspension is meted out.  The team isn’t notified until the 4th violation.  

So Gurley could have between 0-3 violations, and you wouldn’t have a clue.  Meanwhile, Bell faces a 4-game suspension for his next violation, as part of his agreement with the NFL after his missed test a few years ago resulted in a reduced 3-game suspension.

HTH
Are you sure Bell is even in the program? I think I just read he's back to square 1, but I see conflicting stuff.

That being said, one player has been suspended twice, one hasn't been suspended. If you don't think there's a risk difference there for a potential team as far as signing them to a long term contract, we will just have to agree to disagree.

HTH
Do you have a link for the bolded?

Do you have a link for the bolded?
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000687567/article/leveon-bells-suspension-reduced-to-three-games

The link is from 2016, his last suspension.  He hasn’t been suspended since, so unless he’s been removed from the program (I’m not possible whether/if that’s possible), his next suspension for violating the substance-abuse policy is 4 games, as would be the next(first) suspension Gurley receives for violating the substance-abuse policy.  Seems the same to me.??‍♂️

Are you sure Bell is even in the program? I think I just read he's back to square 1, but I see conflicting stuff.

That being said, one player has been suspended twice, one hasn't been suspended. If you don't think there's a risk difference there for a potential team as far as signing them to a long term contract, we will just have to agree to disagree.
There is no difference. Only the perceived one you are making up because you don't know anything about the way Gurley lives or what he does. You might be right that Gurley is straight as an arrow, but you are just guessing and have no basis for it. So try to move the goal posts all you want it changes nothing. 

He's made poor decisions in the past and is more likely to make these kinds of decisions in the future than someone who's never been suspended.
That is your opinion. I seen an interview where he said he could quit weed until after his career. Maybe the 2 suspensions woke him up and as I said earlier you don't know if Gurley has ever failed a test. 

There is no difference. Only the perceived one you are making up because you don't know anything about the way Gurley lives or what he does. You might be right that Gurley is straight as an arrow, but you are just guessing and have no basis for it. So try to move the goal posts all you want it changes nothing. 
No difference. :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread