What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ronald Jones, Cowboys (2 Viewers)

I’m trying to buck the narratives not create one.

Saying “the Bucs and Brady disagree with a whole lot of that” is a narrative. First, it ironic, second, it’s not “the Bucs”, it’s Arians. And he’s never actually said anything to that effect - he’s just treated a RB like crap until he needed him, and then that same RB played great football, which many narrative seekers on this forum are all too quick to dismiss or memory-hole. And then he treated him like crap again.

And I don’t recall Brady saying anything to that effect either. Care to share some links? Or are you just content in creating more narratives? 

Let’s look at the play on the field instead. That’s a much more effective way to evaluate player potential.

And in that light RoJo pretty well blows CEH away.  That’s not a narrative, that’s a fact. 
When do teams ever come out and say such things? Same with TB12, it just rarely ever happens. I’m a big fan of watching the games. 

It’s pretty clear that Bucs coaching staff, including management, didn’t/don’t believe in Jones. 

D Williams was my most drafted player last season, over 60% of my redraft teams. So I get the opportunity that is possible here, however the lack of him being a receiving back really cools down my feelings about his potential prospects. I think they will still bring in someone for that role. Some of you think he will be that guy, time will tell. 

I can’t get on board with the idea that he is going to be the full time or even 3rd down back. In PPR, checking one of those boxes is a must, for me.

When do teams ever come out and say such things? Same with TB12, it just rarely ever happens. I’m a big fan of watching the games. 

The Bucs and Brady disagree with a whole lot of that. Let’s not forget that little piece of information, it’s an important one to remember as we create narratives in the shark pool.
i can’t believe the same person posted both of these quoted statements. 

so you just spun the early statement from while cloth? 

I can’t get on board with the idea that he is going to be the full time or even 3rd down back. In PPR, checking one of those boxes is a must, for me.

I’m not saying he is. 

Right now CEH is the presumed RB1 for the chiefs.

The RB2 for the chiefs has gotten a lot of work in the recent past. 

I’ve said there’s a chance he has a larger role than expected.

And he does have skills that CEH lacks. If anything he’ll be the early down banger & CEH would be relegated to 3rd down duties. 

It’s just a possibility. It’s also possible that CEH finally lives up to his draft status and balls out. The Chiefs would love that I’m sure. 

Last edited by a moderator:
And I don’t recall Brady saying anything to that effect either. Care to share some links? Or are you just content in creating more narratives? 
Watch the way Brady looked at him when he ran out of bounds and then realize how little RoJo played this year and you have the answer to your narrative. Brady gets the guys he wants on the field. If he wanted RoJo out there he would have been. There’s no denying or getting around that. He called Leonard last week to come back. We’ll never get confirmation but he wasn’t calling RoJo. 

Watch the way Brady looked at him when he ran out of bounds and then realize how little RoJo played this year and you have the answer to your narrative. Brady gets the guys he wants on the field. If he wanted RoJo out there he would have been. There’s no denying or getting around that. He called Leonard last week to come back. We’ll never get confirmation but he wasn’t calling RoJo. 
I don’t need any narrative.

All I need to do is look at 2020’s 13-game stretch & compare it to CEH’s career. 

that’s what he’s capable of. Everything  else is conjecture. 

After further thought, I'd go so far as to say I'd be shocked if RoJo doesn't unseat CEH as the early-down back at some point next season. He's a better natural runner & is also more dynamic.

It could unwind any number of ways, but I'm very confident RoJo will eventually become their starter barring injury.

All due respect, It’s possible that KC brought in Jones more to run between the tackles, which is something he excels at. He’s a decisive runner with good burst, & good vision, two things CEH isn’t. He also has the power to punch it into the end zone from short yardage, something CEH has proved to be woefully ineffective at as well.

I highlighted this part because it fits what I've felt since the end of season and thinking about how the Chiefs are built now.

What I hope is that Reid is finally seeing what is right in front of him. His GM has built a road-grading offensive line for a team that likes to pass the ball. It makes me wonder if this has been the plan for two years.

He brings in Orlando Brown - great run blocker but green as pass blocker. Drafts Humprhey and Trey Smith - both total road grader, mean streak type of guys.  Signs Thuney who is good at both.

The team struggles last year with the deep zones and never really adjusted to it. So what do they do now? Completely shift the narrative a bit. Has this offensive line that is mean and nasty in the run game. Trades Hill to stockpile talent because his plan is to run and do dink and dunk type stuff early in the season. And has some speed in Valdes-Scantling to take the top off the defense when those safeties start creeping in.

All the while the AFC West is building to stop the Chiefs passing game AND giving up draft picks to sign a bunch of offensive guys too to try and win shoot-outs.

While Reid is planning to slow the game down and frustrate the living hell out of those guys. This is next level stuff if this is the plan.

Can't wait to see it unfold.

I highlighted this part because it fits what I've felt since the end of season and thinking about how the Chiefs are built now.

What I hope is that Reid is finally seeing what is right in front of him. His GM has built a road-grading offensive line for a team that likes to pass the ball. It makes me wonder if this has been the plan for two years.

He brings in Orlando Brown - great run blocker but green as pass blocker. Drafts Humprhey and Trey Smith - both total road grader, mean streak type of guys.  Signs Thuney who is good at both.

The team struggles last year with the deep zones and never really adjusted to it. So what do they do now? Completely shift the narrative a bit. Has this offensive line that is mean and nasty in the run game. Trades Hill to stockpile talent because his plan is to run and do dink and dunk type stuff early in the season. And has some speed in Valdes-Scantling to take the top off the defense when those safeties start creeping in.

All the while the AFC West is building to stop the Chiefs passing game AND giving up draft picks to sign a bunch of offensive guys too to try and win shoot-outs.

While Reid is planning to slow the game down and frustrate the living hell out of those guys. This is next level stuff if this is the plan.

Slowing down the game while having one of the greatest qbs in history while rules strongly encourage passing would maybe be the worst idea any head coach has ever had. 

So, in the above scenario - Clyde Edwards Helaire is dead, because I don't think he can run through a doorway without the door jam tripping him up.  I think this is optimistic thinking - this is assuming JuJu Smith Schuster can be the #1 and MVS can be any semblance of a "take the top off the defense" player. 

Best of luck!

Slowing down the game while having one of the greatest qbs in history while rules strongly encourage passing would maybe be the worst idea any head coach has ever had. 
It doesn’t mean they’re not going to pass. If true (and it’s a reasonable theory) then maybe KC understands that having a quick strike offense leaves them exposed because they can’t kill clock when they get a lead. 

Reportedly they’re still seeking a WR1 (maybe Metcalf, maybe Cooks, maybe someone else YTBN) - I’m sure they’ll still pass plenty. They aren’t going to mothball Mahomes. 

But they just don’t have the defense to get into shootouts every week & win. 

I believe it will be a committee, but if they have a 7 point lead in the 4th quarter with 5 mins to play, now they have a RB who can pick up tough yardage. 

They lacked that with CEH. 

Why can't you do both?  Slow down the game and still take your shots and game controlling short passing with the run......I think this is a fascinating idea that could pay dividends.  Of course this hinges on the defense being able to stop someone.  If that doesn't happen it doesn't matter if you control the game (see Vikes from last year). 

Chiefs head coach Andy Reid said the team will give Ronald Jones a chance to be a "major part" of the offense. 

Signed to a one-year, $5 million deal this week, Jones will join Clyde Edwards-Helaire in the Kansas City backfield after being relegated to the bench in Tampa Bay. “He’s a tough runner with good vision,” Reid said of Jones. “I’ll take that, and he needs that opportunity to feel like he’s a major part of this thing. We’ll give him that. I’ve got Clyde in there, too, so it’ll just help take some pressure off and they’ll work together and be a pretty good combo.” Among the most efficient rushers in the league, Jones last year gained 239 yards over expected on inside runs, more than any running back besides Derrick Henry. Jones was second in the NFL in expected points added per rush. He would profile as KC's better early-down runner while Edwards-Helaire likely takes most pass-catching opportunities out of the backfield. 

edited to add… this is clearly a Rotoworld blurb.  

Just the commentary at the end though, the key comments were made by Reid yesterday.

I'm not sure what he's talking about though or what the Chiefs are doing even watching tape on him. I mean Arians and/or Brady did not seem to embrace him so not sure what they'd watch film on him and think he's be any good with them.

Chiefs head coach Andy Reid said the team will give Ronald Jones a chance to be a "major part" of the offense. 

Signed to a one-year, $5 million deal this week, Jones will join Clyde Edwards-Helaire in the Kansas City backfield after being relegated to the bench in Tampa Bay. “He’s a tough runner with good vision,” Reid said of Jones. “I’ll take that, and he needs that opportunity to feel like he’s a major part of this thing. We’ll give him that. I’ve got Clyde in there, too, so it’ll just help take some pressure off and they’ll work together and be a pretty good combo.” Among the most efficient rushers in the league, Jones last year gained 239 yards over expected on inside runs, more than any running back besides Derrick Henry. Jones was second in the NFL in expected points added per rush. He would profile as KC's better early-down runner while Edwards-Helaire likely takes most pass-catching opportunities out of the backfield. 

I think some of this comes down to this:

Andy Reid sees what RoJo can do on the field and isn’t evaluating him like a bunch of butt-hurt FF owners who “got burned” by taking Jones in the 5th round in a PPR league in 2019 or 2021.

Anyone looking at Jones 13-game stretch of excellence in 2020 knows what he’s capable of.

The only real unknown here is usage. How large of a share of touches will he get, what % of plays will he be on the field, and how many targets can he sponge up in the passing game. Obviously all of those factors will matter to RoJo’s value.

I think he’s the best RB in KC since Kareem Hunt, but I don’t want to be accused of being a RoJo cheerleader.

And CEH is pretty meh so far. Maybe this pushes CEH to new heights. Or maybe it pushes CEH out of the way. Or maybe it’s a true RBBC. 

It’ll be fun to watch either way. Not a lot to lose if you’re a RoJo shareholder - he was never gonna get this opportunity in TB.

Plenty to worry about if you’re a CEH shareholder, IMO. 

Protecting/hiding that defense is a very good idea.
Slowing down the game means you are limiting the number of possessions you have. Limiting the amount of possessions you have is a criminal act for a top-5 offense. The focus should be on maximizing your scoring opportunities not willingly helping out the other team by taking your number of chances down. 

Now if the chiefs had or will have a terrible offense then I would agree. 

Just the commentary at the end though, the key comments were made by Reid yesterday.

I'm not sure what he's talking about though or what the Chiefs are doing even watching tape on him. I mean Arians and/or Brady did not seem to embrace him so not sure what they'd watch film on him and think he's be any good with them.
2020 shows plenty of talent. That seems like a long time ago. It’s basically 1 season ago that Jones had 5.1 YPC & 7 TDs in 13 games.

Maybe Arians isn’t as smart as Arians thinks he is. And who cares if Brady never embraced him? Andy Reid is no slouch when it comes to coaching, so maybe Reid cares more what Reid sees than what Arians or Brady do. 

Slowing down the game means you are limiting the number of possessions you have. Limiting the amount of possessions you have is a criminal act for a top-5 offense. The focus should be on maximizing your scoring opportunities not willingly helping out the other team by taking your number of chances down. 

Now if the chiefs had or will have a terrible offense then I would agree. 
Watching the Chiefs in the playoffs, a few drives where they could have grinded the ball down the field in the 4th quarter would have resulted in a win that they didn't get. 

Holding the ball also keeps the ball out of Joe Burrow's hands.

Watching the Chiefs in the playoffs, a few drives where they could have grinded the ball down the field in the 4th quarter would have resulted in a win that they didn't get. 

That’s exactly it. It should have cost them a super bowl against the 49ers. They’ve consistently failed to kill enough clock on late and close drives the last few years, giving opponents an opportunity to drive.

If they can clamp that down at the end of games, they’re likely to win more of them. It’s not a revolutionary concept.

And since they don’t have the defense to do it, using a RB to grind it out for a few extra mins could prove to be the answer. 

Sure, they should be able to run the ball to kill clock. It should not be their focus of their game plan however. 

2020 shows plenty of talent. That seems like a long time ago. It’s basically 1 season ago that Jones had 5.1 YPC & 7 TDs in 13 games.

Maybe Arians isn’t as smart as Arians thinks he is. And who cares if Brady never embraced him? Andy Reid is no slouch when it comes to coaching, so maybe Reid cares more what Reid sees than what Arians or Brady do. 
Right, I was just kidding on what seems to be heaviest anti-ROJO counter going. The surface level "But But Brady and Arians did not seem to love him".

Sure, they should be able to run the ball to kill clock. It should not be their focus of their game plan however. 
Tough inside runs will actually legitimately set up the PA pass. 

No defensive coordinator takes CEH seriously enough as an inside rushing threat to sell out against the run for him.

IMO, it's not about making RoJo the focus of their game plan, it's about making their entire offense better by adding an element they've been sorely lacking.

The fact that he can be an effective GL/short yardage back is just a bonus to the Chiefs and to FF shareholders alike. 

Is it me or is Reid kinda somewhat in a roundabout way suggesting Jones will be the feature back? Either way, I was already convinced he'll become their starter at some point.

As far as RoJo's time in Tampa, Arians isn't exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to RBs. And Brady is a great QB, but I put very little emphasis on who he prefers.

BTW, I had stated earlier I'd consider giving a 2nd for him at first glance, but I definitely would after some thought. What kind of 2nd? Maybe a high 2nd if I was hurting at RB & was a contender. I'd give a late 2nd with any kind of team just to try to take advantage of the upside.

Is it me or is Reid kinda somewhat in a roundabout way suggesting Jones will be the feature back? Either way, I was already convinced he'll become their starter at some point.

As far as RoJo's time in Tampa, Arians isn't exactly the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to RBs. And Brady is a great QB, but I put very little emphasis on who he prefers.

BTW, I had stated earlier I'd consider giving a 2nd for him at first glance, but I definitely would after some thought. What kind of 2nd? Maybe a high 2nd if I was hurting at RB & was a contender. I'd give a late 2nd with any kind of team just to try to take advantage of the upside.
As a RoJo shareholder, it's hard to read Reid's comments and not be a little excited about the potential. 

I don't think he implied "feature back", but he did seem to pretty clearly say he'd be the preferred early down back. That's not an insignificant role for a team that rarely plays from multiple scores behind (and often plays from ahead). 

Long-suffering RoJo shareholders have to love this opportunity - it's really the best we could have hoped for.  

All due respect, I read this situation dramatically differently. 

There are a lot of narratives about Ronald Jones.

Pass protection, fumbling, and not being a capable receiver are 3 of the most exaggerated ones.

He went 250 touches in college without a fumble (one of 2 players to do so during his tenure) and has only fumbled 5x over 3 years in the NFL. Gibson fumbled 5x last year alone. JT fumbled 4x in 2021. We just don’t obsess over it because their coaches weren’t Arians, who makes a federal case out of it for a player he clearly doesn’t like.

In 2020, Jones was a 13-game starter. I posted the numbers above. He was absolutely a low-end RB1 value during that span. Somehow Brady never go shellacked because of Jones during that span of games.  All QBs get hit though, and sometimes it’s on the RB. But like the fumbles & his receiving being detrimental, it’s a little overblown. No, he’s not great at it. Yes, he can pass protect. 

Maybe a change of scenery & better coaching on a team that’s actually committed to him will help him with his  pass pro technique. Or maybe he simply won’t be used as much on passing downs.

FWIW, CEH isn’t that great in pass protection either from what I’ve seen. 

It’s possible that KC brought in Jones more to run between the tackles, which is something he excels at. He’s a decisive runner with good burst, & good vision, two things CEH isn’t. He also has the power to punch it into the end zone from short yardage, something CEH has proved to be woefully ineffective at as well.

And he’s significantly faster than CEH, so if he does get a hole or break a 1st tackle, he could take it to the house, which is something CEH simply can’t do.

If we’re going to compare CEH & Jones, let’s stick to what they’ve shown on the field, not what the respective narratives about them have become.

People say a lot of things about RoJo that simply aren’t true, like the comment about his “consistency” above. His 5.1 YPC in 2020 sure looked consistent to me, though I understand for FF purposes, “consistency” might mean something else. And when a dude’s getting benched at random, it’s hard to be a consistent FF contributor. As a dude who’s held RoJo since his rookie year, I’m all too familiar with that frustration. That doesn’t mean RoJo is inconsistent on the field though. A 4.5 ypc career seems to prove that. 

2020 wasn’t very long ago. 1 season, really. And it’s hard not to watch his highlights from 2020 and not think he’s a real threat to CEH. 

Signed

-apparently the new president of the RoJo fan club, defender of his honor. (I won’t go up on stage & slap anyone though) 

lol
Pass pro can be taught. He's gotta be receptive and by now there's probably things he's good at and weak at that opponents know and....I'd let the Chiefs RB coach do his thing before I jump onboard.

I had him in 2020 I'm a fan but was totally let down last year

Pass pro can be taught. He's gotta be receptive and by now there's probably things he's good at and weak at that opponents know and....I'd let the Chiefs RB coach do his thing before I jump onboard.

I had him in 2020 I'm a fan but was totally let down last year
Good news then: he’s on a different team with a coach who doesn’t hate him, and much weaker competition than Fournette “ahead” of him. 

Man, I'm hoping this guy puts it together. 

WIll he? I don't know. Seems like if he hasn't put together pass pro with a willing attitude by now, then he's not going to. The only thing that gives me pause is Brady runs guys out of town that he doesn't like. Combine Brady and Arians not giving RoJo any leeway whatsoever in TB and you've got at least the faintest of glimmering hopes. Brady wanted an all-around back with James White-style passing upside and James Develin blitz pickup, and Playoff Lenny fit the bill oodles better than Jones. 

Good news then: he’s on a different team with a coach who doesn’t hate him, and much weaker competition than Fournette “ahead” of him. 
Doesn't hate him yet. Jones is a solid runner, but is about as mistake prone as it gets at the position. If that continues, I doubt Reid will have much more patience than Arians did. 

I'd also disagree that CEH is much weaker competition than Fournette. I'd say they are about equal. Fournette isn't a good RB by any means, he was simply a good fantasy RB last year. CEH has had his moments, and is still going to only be 23 when the season starts, I wouldn't be writing him off by any means. 

Doesn't hate him yet. Jones is a solid runner, but is about as mistake prone as it gets at the position. If that continues, I doubt Reid will have much more patience than Arians did. 

I'd also disagree that CEH is much weaker competition than Fournette. I'd say they are about equal. Fournette isn't a good RB by any means, he was simply a good fantasy RB last year. CEH has had his moments, and is still going to only be 23 when the season starts, I wouldn't be writing him off by any means. 
Once again, I’ll refer you to the 13 game stretch in 2020 when RoJo finally had opportunity & shined with a performance that CEH hasn’t even sniffed in his career to date.

CEH is a bust. The sooner people realize that, the more excited they’ll get for RoJo’s tough between the tackles running. (Well, not CEH owners, who may have to watch his value crater to 3rd down/breather back) 

From the Reid presser it sure sounds like CEH is the COP now while RoJo gets the early down work. Which is weird since usually the COP is the faster dude. 

As for the “yet” part, one could posit that Reid has seen enough of CEH failing to have success in short yardage, and failing to show good vision - 2 things he specifically praised RoJo for at the press conference. Perhaps the RoJo signing is an indictment of CEH. 

I can't decide what to make of this.

I don't love CEH, but at this point you have to give him the benefit of the doubt over Jones?

I have to think they aren't done at RB.

I can't decide what to make of this.

I don't love CEH, but at this point you have to give him the benefit of the doubt over Jones?

I have to think they aren't done at RB.
Why do you have to give CEH the benefit of the doubt when he’s been spectacularly meh? 

CEH has bad vision, doesn’t read blocks well, and lacks speed and quickness.

I wouldn’t give CEH the benefit of anything at this point. He may have lost his early down role with this signing. 

Why do you have to give CEH the benefit of the doubt when he’s been spectacularly meh? 

CEH has bad vision, doesn’t read blocks well, and lacks speed and quickness.

I wouldn’t give CEH the benefit of anything at this point. He may have lost his early down role with this signing. 

Age.  Ronald Jones has been spectacularly less than meh.... for longer.

8/3/1997 (24)
4/11/1999 (22)

There is barely 1.5 years between them. I am sure that is what Andy Reid cares about. That Jones is ancient. He has been meh for longer, though.

5 years in the league... with nothing but meh.

3 years in the league... with nothing but meh.

RJ is beyond the point where you hope for upside.  He is what he is.

CEH is about at the end of the rope where maybe he still has upside.  Last chance to prove it.

I'd also disagree that CEH is much weaker competition than Fournette.
His athletic profile alone is much weaker, and so is his performance. 

I'm not sure Fournette and CEH are even in the same stratosphere when it comes to running, catching, and pass pro. 

Founette's a two-time 1,000 yard rusher in Jacksonville, of all places. All he did with Tampa last year is gain well over 1,200 yards from scrimmage in thirteen games started. 

I mean, CEH has never cracked a thousand rushing or over 300 yards receiving. He's totaled 1746 yards from scrimmage in 23 games, all of which he's started. 

It's not like this guy got a chance and totally took it. He's been weak. Fournette has been better than league-average. 

8/3/1997 (24)
4/11/1999 (22)

There is barely 1.5 years between them. I am sure that is what Andy Reid cares about. That Jones is ancient. He has been meh for longer, though.
Once again I’ll point you to the 13 games Jones started. 

Because I like apples to apples comparisons. 5.1 YPC, 7 TD & 28 receptions, 978 yards.

Thats not “meh”. That’s a RB1 in FF. 

Personal bias against a player is a hell of a drug. just ask Bruce Arians. 

5 years in the league... with nothing but meh.

3 years in the league... with nothing but meh.

RJ is beyond the point where you hope for upside.  He is what he is.

CEH is about at the end of the rope where maybe he still has upside.  Last chance to prove it.
He is a career 4.5 YPC runner who’s faster, stronger and more decisive than CEH with better vision.

He is a guy who when given the opportunity blows away CEH as an inside runner to the tune of 5.1 YPC to 4.4 YPC. 

There ya go. 👍🏼

ETA your math, while convenient, is wrong. RoJo has only been in the league for 4 years. 

Users who are viewing this thread