What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (1 Viewer)

Watched The Wolf of Wall street last night. I'm a huge Scorsese fan but I didn't like this one much. I thought it was absurdly over the top, to the point where it was annoying. Lots of Deja Vu moments from Boiler Room(a movie that I enjoyed), the first hour plus was pretty similar. The Jonah Hill character and his performance was brutal, not funny/real at all. I wouldn't say it's not worth watching, I think anything Scorsese does is, at least once. I wouldn't go in with high expectations though. The eye candy is great at least :shrug:
I could watch this movie a thousand times.

Edge of Tomorrow - Really enjoyed this. Best Cruise film in a long while.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - I kept waiting to be disappointed in this film but it never happened. Quite solid and I hope they continue the series.
Big fan of both these movies.

jdoggydogg said:
Kraft... said:
Watched The Wolf of Wall street last night. I'm a huge Scorsese fan but I didn't like this one much. I thought it was absurdly over the top, to the point where it was annoying. Lots of Deja Vu moments from Boiler Room(a movie that I enjoyed), the first hour plus was pretty similar. The Jonah Hill character and his performance was brutal, not funny/real at all. I wouldn't say it's not worth watching, I think anything Scorsese does is, at least once. I wouldn't go in with high expectations though. The eye candy is great at least :shrug:
I could watch this movie a thousand times.
Good god. I barely made it through the first time.

Joe

5/5. Phenomenal drama. Cage's best film by far. If you haven't seen it, see it.
I just watch this and was sad to find out that the actor (he actually was homeless in real life, living off the streets) who played the drunk/abusive dad died before the movie was released.

Whiplash:

Absolutely loved everything about this movie. JK Simmons was a monster, and I really hope he gets the Oscar love for this role. So far my favorite movie of the year. Watched it twice today. 8.5/10

My wife and I watched the entire Star Wars series in Blu Ray over the last week plus, moving from Episode I to VI. I'm 29 and remember absolutely loving the original trilogy growing up, having seen each probably 50 times. I saw each of the new trilogy in theaters once a piece and once or twice on DVD and remember liking them as well.

The Phantom Menace - What a steaming pile of poo this is. I remembered this movie somewhat fondly and I hold no grudges against Lucas for booting this series back up, but holy crap this is awful. Jar Jar Binks (the worst character in the series is the Gungan king guy) is worse than reviews would lead you to believe and the the ambitious special effects were very distracting. By far the worst in the series. The only redeeming character was Darth Maul and he had like 5 minutes of screen time. D-

Attack of the Clones - Again, the special effects were pretty distracting, but otherwise a decent movie, especially if you can see past the wooden acting of Natalie Portman and Hayden Christensen. Overall this movie was pretty forgettable other than it tying together much of the Star Wars universe. Has some of the feel of the original series. C+

Revenge of the Sith - I think this might be the best of the whole series (this and Empire Strikes Back are close). The acting is still very mediocre, but I think this movie is the only one in the series that actually has any real emotion. This one was the darkest of all the movies, and watching Anakin turn into Vader was pretty sad even if most of the characters couldn't express their emotions. With better casting and directing, this could have been an awesome movie. By the time 2006 came around the CGI could actually keep up with what Lucas had visioned. B+

A New Hope - I think of all the old trilogy, this one is the most overrated because it came out when our largest generation was young with some groundbreaking effects. I'm sure it was a fantastic experience to see this in theaters nearly four decades ago, but I don't have the nostalgia that many of you would have. Like the new trilogy, the acting is pretty bad, but the story is very good. The good definitely outweighs the bad, and it was an enjoyable movie. B-

The Empire Strikes Back - By far the best of the old movies. Yoda was awesome and his scenes were some of my favorite of the entire series. I feel like they missed the sassiness of Yoda in the the new movies. All of the Cloud City story was excellent and watching Luke face Vader was the most memorable scene of my childhood. B+

Return of the Jedi - It seems like Lucas had a hard time figuring out how he was going to tie up the series with this movie, so he went with what was going to make him the most money with toys. The Ewoks were as bad as the Gungans, maybe worse because they had more screen time. The opening 30 minutes of the movie was pretty good, as were the final scenes that didn't take place in Endor. Everything else seemed like filler. C-

As a whole, the sum of the series is greater than its parts. It is an epic story that could have been much better with somebody helping Lucas steer things in the right directions. Even though some of the movies just aren't very good, it was a very enjoyable experience. Somehow it made me more excited for Episode VII coming out late this year, and I think having Lucas detached from the future movies will give audiences a better product.

My wife and I watched the entire Star Wars series in Blu Ray over the last week plus, moving from Episode I to VI. I'm 29 and remember absolutely loving the original trilogy growing up, having seen each probably 50 times. I saw each of the new trilogy in theaters once a piece and once or twice on DVD and remember liking them as well.

Revenge of the Sith - I think this might be the best of the whole series (this and Empire Strikes Back are close). The acting is still very mediocre, but I think this movie is the only one in the series that actually has any real emotion. This one was the darkest of all the movies, and watching Anakin turn into Vader was pretty sad even if most of the characters couldn't express their emotions. With better casting and directing, this could have been an awesome movie. By the time 2006 came around the CGI could actually keep up with what Lucas had visioned. B+
I just did this same thing with my son. I am glad to see someone else liked ROTS. I would've liked to see a bit deeper of a psychological attack and the manipulation was pretty weak but to see how Anakin turned and him becoming Vader was pretty good. I always thought the ending of the movie should be when they put the helmet on and he takes his first breath as Vader (and probably a frontal view).

We have a very similar take on the series but I don't think A New Hope is over-rated. It might be a nostalgia thing for me though as I was a kid when it came out and it was such an huge event - lines for days, people seeing it over and over. Also the special effects were pretty amazing for that time.

I just did this same thing with my son. I am glad to see someone else liked ROTS. I would've liked to see a bit deeper of a psychological attack and the manipulation was pretty weak but to see how Anakin turned and him becoming Vader was pretty good. I always thought the ending of the movie should be when they put the helmet on and he takes his first breath as Vader (and probably a frontal view).

We have a very similar take on the series but I don't think A New Hope is over-rated. It might be a nostalgia thing for me though as I was a kid when it came out and it was such an huge event - lines for days, people seeing it over and over. Also the special effects were pretty amazing for that time.
Revenge of the Sith could have been a much better movie if Lucas could have conveyed any understanding of emotions and could have come up with a better reason for Anakin to turn. To become Hitler level evil, you would figure it would be a bigger trigger than he didn't want his wife to die. I agree with you it should have ended with Vader putting on his mask.

I don't think A New Hope is overrated as an event or the effect it had on movies and movie going audiences, but as a film its pretty mediocre. I appreciate the special effects, but by the time I saw Star Wars movies like Jurassic Park and Terminator 2 were out.

The last time I watched them I came away feeling that AOTC was much worse than TPM.
No way it is worse than TPM, but maybe I rated it a little higher than it should be because we watched those two back to back and anything would have been better than TPM. If The Phantom Menace had been the first movie to come out in the series, there would have been no second movie.

tbh- all of the 2nd trilogy blur into one jar-jar nightmare to me. I'll take the ewoks over any of those movies.
One thing I didn't remember before watching them all over again, Jar Jar is in all three of them. They toned it waaaaay down in the 2nd and 3rd movies and he is only a bit part, but I still cringed every time he was on screen. The Ewoks were ####### ridiculous though.

FWIW, Revenge of the Sith was very well received critically, with 80% on Rotten Tomatoes.

The Empire Strikes Back

Star Wars (A New Hope)

Revenge of the Sith

Return Of The Jedi

The Phantom Menace

Attack Of The Clones

My top three are clearly the best in the series. Return Of The Jedi was a good movie. Not great and I really wish Lucas stuck with his idea to go to Chewbacca's planet instead of the dreaded Ewoks.

I was so excited to see The Phantom Menace. I went to a 10am showing on the day of release back in 1999 and was giddy. It was a let down, but I enjoyed Liam as Obi Wan's master. Wooden acting big time though and Jar Jar was...well Jar Jar.

Attack Of The Clones was dreadful. Plain and simple, it was a total bore. Only Bobba Fett's back story and the evolution of the Storm Troopers and republic army get my attention. The Love story was incredibly bad.

My top three are clearly the best in the series. Return Of The Jedi was a good movie. Not great and I really wish Lucas stuck with his idea to go to Chewbacca's planet instead of the dreaded Ewoks.
What was the thinking here for Lucas? The first two weren't popular enough so he needed something to get the kids interested?

Holy #### was Dead Snow 2 awesome! Liked it better than the first.

ETA: best use of intestines in a movie ever!

Last edited by a moderator:
They're all terrible. Just admit it.
They really are.
Let's throw Lord of the Rings into that group. Hell, I'm as nostalgic as it gets when it comes down to Tolkien. I read the Hobbit in 2nd grade and polished off the trilogy after I broke my arm at the end of 3rd. In High School, I dorked out and wrote a paper on the similarities between Tolkien's world and WWII despite the fact that Tolken repeatedly denied they had anything to do with each other. Still, I can't sit through one one of those gawdam movies without falling asleep.

Kev4029 said:
El Floppo said:
tbh- all of the 2nd trilogy blur into one jar-jar nightmare to me. I'll take the ewoks over any of those movies.
One thing I didn't remember before watching them all over again, Jar Jar is in all three of them. They toned it waaaaay down in the 2nd and 3rd movies and he is only a bit part, but I still cringed every time he was on screen. The Ewoks were ####### ridiculous though.

FWIW, Revenge of the Sith was very well received critically, with 80% on Rotten Tomatoes.
Revenge of the Sith is the worst of all of them because it's the one people point to from the prequels as "good". None of them were good, they were all abominations and all copies should be destroyed.

Among Filmspotting top 10's that I found interesting:

Force Majeure

Love is Strange

Listen Up Phillip

Only Lovers Left Alive

Under The Skin

Dear White People

Winter Sleep

Ida

Stray Dogs

The Rover

Locke

Memphis

Lot of love for Boyhood, Under The Skin, and Lego movie. Two-part podcast. Great listen.

Force Majeure

Love is Strange

Listen Up Phillip

Only Lovers Left Alive

Under The Skin

Dear White People

Winter Sleep

Ida

Stray Dogs

The Rover

Locke

Memphis

Lot of love for Boyhood, Under The Skin, and Lego movie. Two-part podcast. Great listen.
Are these ones you've seen that you found interesting, or are these ones that stuck out from the podcast as ones you would like to watch?

I did the same thing - love the podcast and wrote down ones that I hadn't heard of so I can keep an eye on them when they get released. The top 2 you listed were the main two that stuck out for me as well.

As much as I dig the podcast, I do cringe a little when Michael Phillips is on. Grates on me a little. Picture him as some smug a**hole sitting there in tweed that thinks only movies from the 40s and 50s are worth a crap. Guaranteed when he is on a show during the year I have heard of maybe one of his top 5.

They really are.
Let's throw Lord of the Rings into that group. Hell, I'm as nostalgic as it gets when it comes down to Tolkien. I read the Hobbit in 2nd grade and polished off the trilogy after I broke my arm at the end of 3rd. In High School, I dorked out and wrote a paper on the similarities between Tolkien's world and WWII despite the fact that Tolken repeatedly denied they had anything to do with each other. Still, I can't sit through one one of those gawdam movies without falling asleep.
Now we are talking. I have tried a few times with these and can't do it. :sleep:

What was the thinking here for Lucas? The first two weren't popular enough so he needed something to get the kids interested?
Easier to find a bunch of little people vs. finding a bunch of 7' giants?

Cute cuddly Ewok toys would sell better?

Force Majeure

Love is Strange

Listen Up Phillip

Only Lovers Left Alive

Under The Skin

Dear White People

Winter Sleep

Ida

Stray Dogs

The Rover

Locke

Memphis

I've heard of one of these. :thumbup:

The Empire Strikes Back

Star Wars (A New Hope)

Revenge of the Sith

Return Of The Jedi

The Phantom Menace

Attack Of The Clones

I was so excited to see The Phantom Menace. I went to a 10am showing on the day of release back in 1999 and was giddy. It was a let down, but I enjoyed Liam as Obi Wan's master. Wooden acting big time though and Jar Jar was...well Jar Jar.

Attack Of The Clones was dreadful. Plain and simple, it was a total bore. Only Bobba Fett's back story and the evolution of the Storm Troopers and republic army get my attention. The Love story was incredibly bad.
This would be my ranking too, but I would have Phantom and Attack closer together and farther away from the others.

I love the first couple, but even I can start to admit that it is more about nostalgia than me thinking they are actually great movies. We (I) bag on the newer one for the bad acting and bad characters, but the original trilogy has that going on as well. Never paid attention too much, but now that my son is watching these movies on repeat, I would say that C3PO is damn near as annoying to me as Jar Jar is - at least they had the decency to cut Jar Jar out of the the 2nd and 3rd for the most part.

That said, I haven't learned my lesson, and that new teaser trailer gave be a nerd boner. They will be getting our money in December again. I think my son is going to start counting down the days on a calendar.

I remember going to see the first trilogy again when they rereleased them in the theaters with added ILM cg. Saw Star wars in the Ziegfeld (giant NYC theater) and was loling throughout because of how bad the writing and acting (Hamilton in particular) was.

still way superior to the walking-dead-inside second trilogy.

They really are.
Last year about this time my Wife and I chugged through the LotR trilogy in one day. I had only seen bits and pieces of the second and third movies on TV after I mostly disliked the first one when it came out. So boring. I really don't see why they are so beloved.

saw No Good Deed last night. was kinda meh, was hoping for it to be at least a little better. waste of time

anyone here stream from laptop -> to tv using hdmi?

just started doing this recently and when I go full screen the movie is choppy like its 60hz

They really are.
Last year about this time my Wife and I chugged through the LotR trilogy in one day. I had only seen bits and pieces of the second and third movies on TV after I mostly disliked the first one when it came out. So boring. I really don't see why they are so beloved.
If you're:

1. A huge Fantasy fan in the realm of Dragons, Elves, Orcs etc You know, Dungeon and Dragons stuff. This is the ultimate cinematic experieince in the genre.

2. If you're a video game geek (like myself) and love playing Skyrim, Dragon Age and grew up playing Ultima and Dragon Fire on the old NES these movies rule.

3. And of course if you read the books over and over (like I did in my pre teen and early teens) this was an amazing adaptation.

I think the the LOTR trilogy is an incredible film experience if your into the genre. It's not a mainstream thing by any means. I think the reason for it's mainstream success is the EPIC nature of the films, the action and the fantastic execution of the characters, the stories and the lore.

The Hobbit on the other hand was long winded as it was only one book and could have easily been told over the course of two movies max. I did enjoy it though. But the LOTR was vastly better on every level.

These movies are a Dungeons and Dragons/Elder Scrolls/Led Zeppelin/Rush fan's dream (that's me....yeah I am a closet geek LOL).

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that LOTR was a great adaptation of the books. I geeked the hell out on the movies, and still love seeing them pop on TBS.... 27 endings of ROTK and all.

Force Majeure

Love is Strange

Listen Up Phillip

Only Lovers Left Alive

Under The Skin

Dear White People

Winter Sleep

Ida

Stray Dogs

The Rover

Locke

Memphis

Are these ones you've seen that you found interesting, or are these ones that stuck out from the podcast as ones you would like to watch?

I did the same thing - love the podcast and wrote down ones that I hadn't heard of so I can keep an eye on them when they get released. The top 2 you listed were the main two that stuck out for me as well.
The ones that stuck out from the podcast that I'd like to watch.

They really are.
If you're:

1. A huge Fantasy fan in the realm of Dragons, Elves, Orcs etc You know, Dungeon and Dragons stuff. This is the ultimate cinematic experieince in the genre.

2. If you're a video game geek (like myself) and love playing Skyrim, Dragon Age and grew up playing Ultima and Dragon Fire on the old NES these movies rule.

3. And of course if you read the books over and over (like I did in my pre teen and early teens) this was an amazing adaptation.

I think the the LOTR trilogy is an incredible film experience if your into the genre. It's not a mainstream thing by any means. I think the reason for it's mainstream success is the EPIC nature of the films, the action and the fantastic execution of the characters, the stories and the lore.

The Hobbit on the other hand was long winded as it was only one book and could have easily been told over the course of two movies max. I did enjoy it though. But the LOTR was vastly better on every level.

These movies are a Dungeons and Dragons/Elder Scrolls/Led Zeppelin/Rush fan's dream (that's me....yeah I am a closet geek LOL).
I'm none of those things (well, I'm a video game geek but I don't really play Skyrim, DA, etc) and I loved the LOTR movies.

I did get bored during the 2nd Hobbit movie though (haven't seen the 3rd yet). Definitely not enough material there to make three movies, much less three really long movies.

They really are.
If you're:

I'm none of those things (well, I'm a video game geek but I don't really play Skyrim, DA, etc) and I loved the LOTR movies.

I did get bored during the 2nd Hobbit movie though (haven't seen the 3rd yet). Definitely not enough material there to make three movies, much less three really long movies.
You don't have to be. Like I said the mainstream loved them as well. They are great movies period. But if you like any of the above...it makes it extra awesome.

They really are.
If you're:

I can answer in the affirmative to all 3 of those points and still think the movies are boring as hell

Looks like a ton of stuff - Sniper, Big Hero 6, Birdman, Unbroken, Imitation, Big Eyes, Selma, and Into the Woods.

Force Majeure

Love is Strange

Listen Up Phillip

Only Lovers Left Alive

Under The Skin

Dear White People

Winter Sleep

Ida

Stray Dogs

The Rover

Locke

Memphis

The ones that stuck out from the podcast that I'd like to watch.
Calvary with Brendan Gleeson another one that got a lot of praise. Gleeson and the director previously did The Guard which was superb.

Time Lapse

3 friends stumble across a camera that takes pictures 24 hours into the future. I had no desire to watch this but several people recommended it. It wasn't half bad. Think of The Monkey's Paw or Tell-Tale Heart. To me it's much more of a psychological thriller than sci-fi. If you're one to look for every little paradox or inconsistency I am sure there are plenty to be found. 6.5/10

Users who are viewing this thread