What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (6 Viewers)

Tonight, keeping with the 100 years of Columbia Studios and watching one of my all time favorite screwballs, The Awful Truth.

Now You See Me....fun ride. Solid flick.
Now You See Me2.. let's screw up a good story universe by changing everything about 4 of the main characters and add Harry Potter as a bad guy.

You know how 10% of the population thinks cilantro tastes like soap and can't eat it?

I feel that way about Joachim Phoenix. I got into a big Johnny Cash phase recently (thanks to the FFA) and was excited to watch "Walk the Line" last night.

I turned it off 30 minutes in. His acting just doesn't work for me. I'm sure he's great but he's not for me. I don't think I've ever watched a movie of his I loved. "To Die For" was good but he wasn't the main.
I dunno. I'll try to finish but he's cilantro for me and I'm the 10%.

You know how 10% of the population thinks cilantro tastes like soap and can't eat it?

I feel that way about Joachim Phoenix. I got into a big Johnny Cash phase recently (thanks to the FFA) and was excited to watch "Walk the Line" last night.

I turned it off 30 minutes in. His acting just doesn't work for me. I'm sure he's great but he's not for me. I don't think I've ever watched a movie of his I loved. "To Die For" was good but he wasn't the main.

Try watching Beau is Afraid

He was great in The Joker

The Rules Of The Game (1939)

I'm not quite sure what I was supposed to get out of it but what I got was "It's all fun and games until someone gets shot. Then it's just a return to phoniness." Did I get it right?

I guess that does pretty much encapsulate Renoir's framing that he knows what's about you happen to these idiots that they don't - namely World War 2.

Last edited:

I'm not quite sure what I was supposed to get out of it but what I got was "It's all fun and games until someone gets shot. Then it's just a return to phoniness." Did I get it right?

I guess that does pretty much encapsulate Renoir's framing that he knows what's about you happen to these idiots that they don't - namely World War 2.
The hunting scene is an obvious reference to the past WW and the upcoming WW where the decisions of the elite ruling classes lead to the senseless deaths of so many. It's also about the frivolity of those in charge. As the world is literally falling apart around them, they focus on their champagne, affairs, trysts, social status, etc. The first time I watched it, I didn't get it. I've since seen it twice more and it's grown on me significantly each time. Excellent film and really well made. I still prefer Grand Illusion though. Heck of a talented father-son combo those Renoirs.

The hunting scene is an obvious reference to the past WW and the upcoming WW where the decisions of the elite ruling classes lead to the senseless deaths of so many. It's also about the frivolity of those in charge. As the world is literally falling apart around them, they focus on their champagne, affairs, trysts, social status, etc. The first time I watched it, I didn't get it. I've since seen it twice more and it's grown on me significantly each time. Excellent film and really well made. I still prefer Grand Illusion though. Heck of a talented father-son combo those Renoirs.
Yeah - Rules of the Game is one of those films that I think works best when considered in context with the “dancing on the volcano” element of 1939. Otherwise, just an upper class twit screwball comedy.

I haven’t seen The Grand Illusion, but need to do so. In addition to Rules of the Game, I’ve got the Criterion disc for “Toni” — has an Italian neorealistic feel, even though predates that era.

Yeah - Rules of the Game is one of those films that I think works best when considered in context with the “dancing on the volcano” element of 1939. Otherwise, just an upper class twit screwball comedy.

I haven’t seen The Grand Illusion, but need to do so. In addition to Rules of the Game, I’ve got the Criterion disc for “Toni” — has an Italian neorealistic feel, even though predates that era.
It may have also kind of created that upstairs-downstairs concept that's been used to great effect in things like Downton Abbey, Gosford Park, etc.

Just watched Equalizer 3.

Very good!

I think I"ll need to revisit 1 & 2!

:thumbup:
Watch this last night while I enjoyed it. I felt like something was just a little off with his character compared to the first two. Not a sure exactly but it didn't quite feel the same but I still enjoyed the movie

Lift is a new Netflix movie starring Kevin Hart as a criminal mastermind behind a gang of art thieves. That should have been enough to warn me off but I love heist movies. It tries hard for a breezy Ocean's 11 vibe in the first half which sort of works. Hart and his gang are likeable enough if they came back for a sequel with a better script. But their big caper in this one is much more preposterous than ingenious so there's never any suspense. It falls short on the action front as well with a couple of awkwardly staged flights on planes and some poor mid-air CGI. Lift is still sort of entertaining in spite of its faults although we laughed more at the absurdity of it than anything else.

I followed Lift up with Chor Nikal Ke Bhaga also on Netflix. It's an Indian heist movie that's similar to Lift; they both share implausible plot elements of a robbery on a passenger plane that gets interrupted by hijackers. Everything about this one is done on a smaller scale than Lift which makes it less ridiculous and ultimately a better movie. There are lots of plot twists and turns and multiple flashbacks that reveal information initially withheld from the audience. The love story in the first half drags a bit but the film manages to come in under two hours which is rare for Bollywood.

I watched Zola (Prime). It's a Jan 2020 A24 movie that seemed to have gotten lost with the pandemic. It's a nice sleazy little crime comedy. It's the first movie I've seen based on a Twitter thread. A young woman meets a stripper who convinces her to join in on a roadtrip to Florida to make some money doing some dancing but very quickly it becomes apparent that it was a set-up and something shady is going on. It's less than 90 minutes and a fun easy watch. It's a strong cast featuring Riley Keough, Colman Domingo and Nick Braun (cousin Greg).

23. Blackberry (2023)- One of the real trends in movies recently is the corporate bio. Tetris, Air, a Hot Cheetos movie, etc. It's something that tends to make for an entertaining movie but perhaps not one that I really like the idea of. Aren't we commercial enough without having to make movies into commercials? That said, Blackberry is different. Maybe it's because the company is already gone so this never feels like it's trying to sell me something. Instead, we just get good old fashioned entertainment as we track the rise and fall. Standouts: Glenn Howerton (Always Sunny in Philadelphia) deserves an Oscar nom, it's without a doubt one of the best and funniest performances of the year.

Gonna fire this one up based on your review. Wouldn't have considered it otherwise. By the way, your year-end round-up and Eephus's monthly viewings are must-reads for me - love them!

I simply cannot watch him. All my friends and family joke about this when he has a new movie out. "Oh, Napoleon looks good but we know you won't see it." I won't. Something about him is unbearable for me. On the female side, I feel the same about Martha Plimpton, who luckily isn't in as many movies I'd otherwise see.

Had no idea anyone else felt this way! :hifive:

I followed Lift up with Chor Nikal Ke Bhaga also on Netflix. It's an Indian heist movie that's similar to Lift; they both share implausible plot elements of a robbery on a passenger plane that gets interrupted by hijackers. Everything about this one is done on a smaller scale than Lift which makes it less ridiculous and ultimately a better movie. There are lots of plot twists and turns and multiple flashbacks that reveal information initially withheld from the audience. The love story in the first half drags a bit but the film manages to come in under two hours which is rare for Bollywood.

I watched Zola (Prime). It's a Jan 2020 A24 movie that seemed to have gotten lost with the pandemic. It's a nice sleazy little crime comedy. It's the first movie I've seen based on a Twitter thread. A young woman meets a stripper who convinces her to join in on a roadtrip to Florida to make some money doing some dancing but very quickly it becomes apparent that it was a set-up and something shady is going on. It's less than 90 minutes and a fun easy watch. It's a strong cast featuring Riley Keough, Colman Domingo and Nick Braun (cousin Greg).

Adding to my list! Need to start watching movies again with football dying down soon.

All the Dennis Villeneuve talk made rewatch Sicario. Very good movie. Will rewatch Blade Runner next.

Arrival is one of my favorite movies ever and I enjoyed Dune. I think he's moving up to my #2 spots for directors behind Nolan and ahead of Tarentino.

I just want to know how he knows that Joaquim Phoenix tastes like soap.

Phoenix has the public image of a guy who would smell bad but he wasn't the worst smelling action in Gladiator. Russell Crowe wouldn't shower for days on end to get into character for that movie.

23. Blackberry (2023)- One of the real trends in movies recently is the corporate bio. Tetris, Air, a Hot Cheetos movie, etc. It's something that tends to make for an entertaining movie but perhaps not one that I really like the idea of. Aren't we commercial enough without having to make movies into commercials? That said, Blackberry is different. Maybe it's because the company is already gone so this never feels like it's trying to sell me something. Instead, we just get good old fashioned entertainment as we track the rise and fall. Standouts: Glenn Howerton (Always Sunny in Philadelphia) deserves an Oscar nom, it's without a doubt one of the best and funniest performances of the year.

Gonna fire this one up based on your review. Wouldn't have considered it otherwise. By the way, your year-end round-up and Eephus's monthly viewings are must-reads for me - love them!

Just finished it and agree that it's fantastic. I thought all of the performances were amazing. Great storytelling - felt like they kept it simple without dumbing it down, if that makes any sense. Highly recommend.

As for Phoenix, I don't particularly care for him but he doesn't ruin movies for me either. I actually liked him quite a bit in Napoleon and I still think Gladiator was his best work. Maybe I prefer him in these historical contexts.

Just finished it and agree that it's fantastic. I thought all of the performances were amazing. Great storytelling - felt like they kept it simple without dumbing it down, if that makes any sense. Highly recommend.
Glad you liked it. I've recommended it to a few people and they've given me the, "you're joking, right?" reaction. But everyone who's actually watched has come back and been like, "you were totally right that was one of the best movies I've seen this year."

I mostly like Joaquin’s work, didn’t like Her but that might be more because the movie sucked

Also my wife likes to tell me she thinks he’s hot, although lately he seems to look too much like a hobo so maybe she’s moved on

I mostly like Joaquin’s work, didn’t like Her but that might be more because the movie sucked

Also my wife likes to tell me she thinks he’s hot, although lately he seems to look too much like a hobo so maybe she’s moved on
Oh funny, I forgot about Her. He's great in that and my opinion of that movie is the total opposite of yours.

Also my wife likes to tell me she thinks he’s hot,

OK this is gross. She has to be trolling you.
Cilian Murphey too
He's good looking tho, right? He has kind of a unique look I guess but seems like ladies would like him.

Yeah, he's good-looking.

By the way, on "Blackberry," I forgot to mention also that the soundtrack was outstanding.
The Irish have been having a moment recently: Cillian, Colin, Barry Keoghan, Paul Mescal.

and yes the soundtrack for Blackbery was good! I just looked it up because it was months ago I watched it. I think everything about the movie was so well done. Great call on the music. I need to rewatch it soon.

Also my wife likes to tell me she thinks he’s hot,

OK this is gross. She has to be trolling you.
Cilian Murphey too
He's good looking tho, right? He has kind of a unique look I guess but seems like ladies would like him.

Yeah, he's good-looking.

By the way, on "Blackberry," I forgot to mention also that the soundtrack was outstanding.
The Irish have been having a moment recently: Cillian, Colin, Barry Keoghan, Paul Mescal.

and yes the soundtrack for Blackbery was good! I just looked it up because it was months ago I watched it. I think everything about the movie was so well done. Great call on the music. I need to rewatch it soon.
I’ll have to check it out. My wife’s friend worked for them for awhile

La La Land

I wanted to love it but couldn't quite get there. But I did like it. And they very much stuck the landing. I very much appreciated the tone of the ending.

I finally watched Hot Tub Time Machine (Netflix). I laughed a lot, just a fun movie. More boobs than I was expecting, too. As soon as Corddroy's character mentioned hooking up with a girl, it was clear who it would be.
A classic comedy

Speaking of which what's the last great comedy made? It seems like there hasn't been a good one in 10 years. Nobody makes comedies anymore.

I finally watched Hot Tub Time Machine (Netflix). I laughed a lot, just a fun movie. More boobs than I was expecting, too. As soon as Corddroy's character mentioned hooking up with a girl, it was clear who it would be.
A classic comedy

Speaking of which what's the last great comedy made? It seems like there hasn't been a good one in 10 years. Nobody makes comedies anymore.
The Holdovers, The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent, Palm Springs, Rye Lane, Shiva Baby, Barbie, Jojo Rabbit, Booksmart, Lady bird, Game Night, The Nice Guys are all really funny movies from the last 8 or so years

A classic comedy

The Holdovers, The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent, Palm Springs, Rye Lane, Shiva Baby, Barbie, Jojo Rabbit, Booksmart, Lady bird, Game Night, The Nice Guys are all really funny movies from the last 8 or so years
I honestly never saw any of those or even heard of most of them.

I miss the quotable comedies. I miss Ben stiller and Jim Carrey. I miss comedy

A classic comedy

Well you should check them out, they are funny. I loved when Ben Stiller and Jim Carrey were really funny too but they don't have that touch anymore. It's really hard for a comedian to stay funny for a long period of time. Everything Everywhere All at Once just won Best Picture and it's absolutely hilarious (and emotional and action packed). Barbie was the highest grossing movie of the year so recently we've actually had a bit of a resurgence for comedies. The Bear and Succession were the 2 most acclaimed shows on TV the last few years and both are very funny. So while I agree it's not exactly been a golden age of comedy, we are seeing a bit of a comeback.

A classic comedy

Well you should check them out, they are funny. I loved when Ben Stiller and Jim Carrey were really funny too but they don't have that touch anymore. It's really hard for a comedian to stay funny for a long period of time. Everything Everywhere All at Once just won Best Picture and it's absolutely hilarious (and emotional and action packed). Barbie was the highest grossing movie of the year so recently we've actually had a bit of a resurgence for comedies. The Bear and Succession were the 2 most acclaimed shows on TV the last few years and both are very funny. So while I agree it's not exactly been a golden age of comedy, we are seeing a bit of a comeback.
I wouldn't call any of those comedies (except Barbie which I didn't see)

A classic comedy

If I laugh a lot while watching something, I consider it a comedy. If you look at the Wikipedia or IMDb or whatever they also consider them comedies. They aren’t Hot Tub Machine where the literal only goal is laughs but they are very funny.

A classic comedy

If I laugh a lot while watching something, I consider it a comedy. If you look at the Wikipedia or IMDb or whatever they also consider them comedies. They aren’t Hot Tub Machine where the literal only goal is laughs but they are very funny.
Yeah I'm talking about movies like Hot Tub Time Machine

Users who are viewing this thread