What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rent-a-Defense Week 7 (1 Viewer)

Picked up the Chargers DST just before kickoff of this week to play them next week. Didn't want to chance waivers. They'll most likely be a 1st round claim since a few teams like to play DST match-ups each week.
Chargers looked good vs. Indy. Might be worth grabbing vs. JAX.
Looked real good. Feeling all-right about SD DST this week.
I also have the Packers DST rostered and have them in now since I'll be at the game.

Kleck said:
Picked up the Chargers DST just before kickoff of this week to play them next week. Didn't want to chance waivers. They'll most likely be a 1st round claim since a few teams like to play DST match-ups each week.
Chargers looked good vs. Indy. Might be worth grabbing vs. JAX.
Looked real good. Feeling all-right about SD DST this week.
I also have the Packers DST rostered and have them in now since I'll be at the game.
Currently have Miami, but will probably changed to SD VS JAX. Points allows based on stats vs buffalo primarily based on sacks, whereas JAX has really stunk it up at home this year in turnovers and points. Blackmon I guess is a key x-factor.

Looking ahead, SD has a great matchup week 14 vs NYG, and may hang on to them for the duration. NYG are among the highest points allowed for TD. I would pair them with TEN for a great Fantasy Playoff matchup. (ARI/JAX) week 15/16

Gone with the Panthers after creating a wee formula and inputing it into the various games.

Panthers are top 3 against the run and Rams bottom three running the ball so I can see the Rams being forced to throw an awful lot where they are top six in Passing TDs. Panthers are 3rd ranked in stopping passing TDs though. Panthers at home as well.

Panthers

NY Jets

Dolphins

Cardinals

Is/was the order of preferences for me this week before any games started out of teams available on WW. Just need Panthers to start making their dominant front 7 rack up some sacks

A general question: When a bad defense meets a bad offense, which usually wins out?
I've tried to put together some stats on this but haven't gathered enough data. Based on relatively small samples it seems poor scoring defenses are less able to take advantage of good matchups than even mediocre defenses. I.e. in fantasy terms a bad defense tends to stay bad.

Of course it also depends on scoring systems because whether or not you use just TOs/Sacks/Scores or also use Points Against and/or Yards Against may have an impact on predictablility and consistency.

I was rolling with the Pats D until they announced that Aqib Talib was going to most likely be out. Add this to them losing Wilfork, Mayo, and Tommy Kelly and I don't think that defense is going to be the same.

I'm currently rolling with the Packers vs Weeden, hoping for some sacks and a pick or two.

What about buffalo? Gilmore and Byrd (edit: incorrectly originally wrote McKelvin) are back in the lineup (I believe last week was first game back for both), and they have some good players at all levels (kiko alonso, mario, etc). Can they help solidify this defense?

Last edited by a moderator:
What about buffalo? Gilmore and McKelvin are back in the lineup (I believe last week was first game back for both), and they have some good players at all levels (kiko alonso, mario, etc). Can they help solidify this defense?
I'm using in a couple leagues where I couldn't secure MIA, SD, or one of the other D's named in this thread.

MIA has given up lots of sacks and INTs this year; the last three games in particular they've been very generous to opposing D's.

OTOH, have to worry about the Bills O putting their D in bad field position and badly losing the time of possession game, in which case the Bills D might wilt.

With Roddy being confirmed out now as well, does anyone think Tampa Bay could be worth a shot?

It's between them and Buffalo for me.

I just dropped the Bills for the Dolphins. This has got to be the week this works. If not, I'm done with this strategy.

I think it was much easier to stream defenses last year....nearly every good matchup would produce gold.

this year I have been burned a number of times. I'm rolling with Mia vs Buf this week in one league and NE vs Jets in two others...great matchups on paper, but I don't feel great about it.

What defenses at this point are considered definitely rostered? For example, despite being awful this season Fantasy-wise, theTexans D is still rostered in my league, while the Titans D, in 3rd place in my league, is on the wire.

That being said, I'm rolling with the 'Boys for the moment, while contemplating switching for Miami. Decisions, decisions.

Thinking about going with Tennessee at home against SF. Kaepernick has NOT been lighting it up this season and Tennessee's defense has been quite solid this year (both real NFL and fantasy).

Haven't seen them mentioned once in this thread. Nobody else see this as a potential solid start?

Thinking about going with Tennessee at home against SF. Kaepernick has NOT been lighting it up this season and Tennessee's defense has been quite solid this year (both real NFL and fantasy).

Haven't seen them mentioned once in this thread. Nobody else see this as a potential solid start?
They're available in all of my big money leagues. I think the 'potential' of CK finally going off is keeping folks away. On the other hand, as you mentioned, I think they could be solid.

BlueBlazer05 said:
Not liking the Cincy matchup, so I'm debating between GB, SD, and Minny off the wire. Think I'm leaning towards the Packers.
Don't love Cinci's matchup either, but I don't have the extra roster spot, and I don't want to drop them. Also, if you assume that Ds are mostly a crapshoot anyway, if you get a decent one like Cinci you might as well ride them. Once I'm through my QB/TE byes, I might look to roster a second D, although by that point we'll be getting closer to Cinci's dream playoff schedule.

Users who are viewing this thread