What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Request ur comish setting advice- How2set contract cost per player by (1 Viewer)

amit-nfl

Footballguy
After joining & taste the dynasty format as a player on MFL, im starting this year one new as a comish.

I want to add a salary cap budget to every team on the league with contract cost and length per each player.. BUT I don't know and need to figure out how to the determine there first cost/contract according to their position picked on the first draft

So qb in second round like 2.3 will have higher contract cost like 23$ per season.. but qb picked in the ninth round like 9.15 would cost his manager 12.5 $.. Te Cost 15 $ in the fifth round while just 4 $ in the 18 round.. corner back cost 11 $ in the 4 round and just3 $ in the 15 round and etc.

Drive me crazy I cant find anywhere some1 who have an idea or customized chart solving this issue
It cant be I'm the only comish on the world thinking bout this..

Most telling me they're using the auction draft format in the startup first year so the money they invested to win the bid on a player become his contract cost.. I dont like this and not becoz im using the regular serpent draft system.. but from competitive side.. u can be smart and catch andrew.luck in the first draft with just few $ cost.. jail him in ur roster with tiny cost the first 3-4 year.. gives u huge advantage. . Or harsh manager spending 50 $ to win the bid on t.gurley or s.bradford.. just to be the team that stuck with huge "frog" on the team cap budget.

[SIZE=small]Plz advice me on this matter.. I feel that im missing an easy solution just under my noise.. (all but auction option)..[/SIZE]

Some other basic setting:
Two separate conference, each have 18 teams with its own six teams playoff (d 2 winners meet in last week to determine d champion) with seperate nfl roster
The starting lineup: 10 0n Off ..QB, rb, rb, wr, wr; wr; Te; rb/wr; wr/Te; k.. 11 on Def.. d, d, de, de, lb, lb, lb; ss, ss, cb, cb... and more on the bench.. several of them taxi squad

Thanks in advance, Amit

You sound like you don't want to use any of their pricing systems (total points times a multiplier, or a default salary database via Rotoworld, or auction results).

So take your draft results, use your own system to come up with what the salary should be, and import them under For Commissioners -> Import Salaries.

Once you have your draft results it should be simple in a spreadsheet to use your salary formula and put them in a format that you can cut and paste into the import window.

If you are asking what should your formula be... I don't know, make one that matches your preferences.

My league has a rookie draft and the salary is set based on the average of the bottom half of fantasy starters at the position. So with the league starting 24 RBs each week, a 1st round RB is the average of the 13th to 24th highest paid RBs as of the rosters start of the last week the previous season (which I save at the time for later access). Then every round after costs 1/3 as much until 4th round rookies are the minimum $1.

That obviously won't work for your initial start up. There's all sorts of ways you could do it, just come up with something you like.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in a dynasty that did something similar to this. Rather than setting contract rates based on start-up draft position (we did not auction), the players' contract values were based on prior year's output. The top salary was set at $20 million. Every salary was based on that $20 million mark.

So say Aaron Rodgers led the fantasy league and scored 435 points last year. He's the $20 million man. Every other salary is based off that (X/Y)*20; X=player salary, Y= $20 million salary. So say Chris Ivory scored 135 fantasy points last year. His salary would be $5.5 million (120/435)*20. Salary cap is $160 million.

One result is players coming off injury can become immense values and that may cause a pretty significant bump in their draft position so you may not like this as an owner would be able to snag him for cheap--however contract terms are set at a max of 5 years so it's usually not a career-defining contract value. Any player whose salary falls below the $1.0 million threshold is automatically given the minimum $1.0 million salary.

each player is then tendered a contract by the team that drafted or acquired the player via FA/waivers. contracts are up to 5-year terms and their $ value increases by 10% each offseason. Players with 2 years remaining on contract are able to re-do their deals based on the last year's (X/Y)*20 formula.

Rookies were not included in the start-up draft as it was too difficult to figure out a fair way to determine their cap value. Instead, there was a separate 4-round rookie draft with slotted salary allocations that diminish in value with each subsequent pick. We hold a similar rookie draft every offseason with the same slotted salaries. All undrafted rookies automatically are assigned the minimum salary value of $1.0 million.

Players who are added/dropped during the season are allocated a pro-rated salary based on the amount of time spent on the team as follows:

(X/16(16 weeks))= Per week cap hit * 5 (# of weeks owned for)= Salary cap hit that will be added to salary cap once player is dropped. X= Players' salary

1. During the first 3 weeks of the season, if an owner drops a player there will be no salary cap penalty for dropping them.
  2. After week 3, if an owner drops a player, they will have to pay for however many weeks they had that player for. For example, if you drop a player in week 5:
If this isn't making sense or if you want further info send me a PM.

All this changes the draft, transaction, and offseason dynamics as not only are you concerned with the age of player and other dynasty factors, but must manage your team's cap accordingly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread