What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Resting starters? Answer seems pretty clear (1 Viewer)

teamroc

Footballguy
People were all over the Pats for playing everyone, every game, regardless of the score. As usual they seem a step ahead of the NFL.

Cowboys - Lots of rest, no focus, coasted into the playoffs

Bucs - Very well rested, w00ps.

Colts - 4th time Manning loses the opening game of the playoffs. He was well rested though.

Pats - Played hard all year

Giants - On a roll. Played all out in week 17 with nothing to gain

Packers - Won a meaningless game huge late in the season

Chargers - Got on a roll and never stopped

Sure you can rest guys, sure you're healthier, but your team is out of sync. The Cowboys just never caught up to the Giants intensity. There's no such thing as a meaningless game in the NFL. You put on the brakes, you pull back, and you might never get it back up to speed.

All year we heard about how the Pats were risking Brady's health. He's a football player. The Pats never took the foot off the gas, and I don't see how anyone beats them at this point. The Chargers will get out coached and embarrassed. Packers vs Pats? NFC is embarrassing. It will be a romp.

People were all over the Pats for playing everyone, every game, regardless of the score. As usual they seem a step ahead of the NFL.

Colts - 4th time Manning loses the opening game of the playoffs. He was well rested though.

Sure you can rest guys, sure you're healthier, but your team is out of sync. The Cowboys just never caught up to the Giants intensity. There's no such thing as a meaningless game in the NFL. You put on the brakes, you pull back, and you might never get it back up to speed.

All year we heard about how the Pats were risking Brady's health. He's a football player. The Pats never took the foot off the gas, and I don't see how anyone beats them at this point. The Chargers will get out coached and embarrassed. Packers vs Pats? NFC is embarrassing. It will be a romp.
Yep, People will still say the same thing next year. Pats are smart. :rolleyes:

Yep, People will still say the same thing next year. Pats are smart. :thumbup:
The Giants playing their starters will be cited for years to come.

In the last nine years, the Colts are 0-3 in the divisional round at home when having a first round bye. They need to stop getting those first round byes. :thumbup:

:ptts: Ummm...he threw for 400+ yards and 3 TDs - the 2 INTs went off his receivers hands and both were very catchable balls (both hit the intended receiver in BOTH hands). He started off the game completing 13 passes in a row. The other turn over was Marvin Harrison's fumble. Did you even watch the game?

Unless the Colts rested their entire starting defense at the end of the year, I can't see blaming the loss on rest. The loss today had little to do with Manning or Clark or Addai - all three had solid games. Pinning this loss on Manning is akin to blaming Garrard for Jax's loss (actually a little worse, becuase Garrard did fumble and throw an INT that wasn't in the hands of his receiver first.)

While I generally agree that "coasting" into the playoffs is not a great idea, it had no ill effect on Manning.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Giants playing their starters will be cited for years to come.
Gotta give Tom Coughlin some credit.They had nothing to play for, could have rested Plax, but went all out to beat the Pats. Clearly it's helped them in the playoffs. And the Giants even lost their center in the game! And I'm not a Browns fan, just some observations from this weekend.

:X Ummm...he threw for 400+ yards and 3 TDs - the 2 INTs went off his receivers hands and both were very catchable balls (both hit the intended receiver in BOTH hands). He started off the game completing 13 passes in a row. The other turn over was Marvin Harrison's fumble. Did you even watch the game?

Unless the Colts rested their entire starting defense at the end of the year, I can't see blaming the loss on rest. The loss today had little to do with Manning or Clark or Addai - all three had solid games. Pinning this loss on Manning is akin to blaming Garrard for Jax's loss (actually a little worse, becuase Garrard did fumble and throw an INT that wasn't in the hands of his receiver first.)

While I generally agree that "coasting" into the playoffs is not a great idea, it had no ill effect on Manning.
:ptts: It's also not a simple question of resting or not resting players. Although Tampa Bay lost, I agreed with them resting most of their starters since they were banged up and were going to have to play the following week.

Also the Redskins rested nobody, but IIRC Seattle's starters did rest against Atlanta.

DoubleG said:
teamroc said:
:thumbup: Ummm...he threw for 400+ yards and 3 TDs - the 2 INTs went off his receivers hands and both were very catchable balls (both hit the intended receiver in BOTH hands). He started off the game completing 13 passes in a row. The other turn over was Marvin Harrison's fumble. Did you even watch the game?

Go check Mannings record, and QB rating when he gets into the playoffs. Both TANK.Manning choked away 2 drives to win it, as usual.

Users who are viewing this thread