What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Retired Guys, anyone? (1 Viewer)

Sorry to hear about your health problems, chief, but I'm at least 10 years away from retiring. And I'm eligible for early retirement right now. Anyhow, I have a 100% remote position with a Chicago firm that has worked out really great for me. All that said, I fill my days besides work with: (1) Nextdoor.com where they made me a moderator, much to the dismay of many a poster, who simply don't get it, (2) backgammongalaxy.com, where I'm known as the Midnight Toker (a line from Steve Miller's "The Joker", in case you don't get it, either., and (3) I have rediscovered the joy of cooking. As long as I was married, I depended upon my wives, but before I ever got married, I did lots of cooking on my own.
You must be killing it to be able to retire with your harem in tow. :bow:

If only you knew the half of it, chief! A few months ago, my second wife, the Chinesed one, told me she wanted to go on vacation with me. So we spent a week in Austin, Texas together. Went to the Austin City Limits Hall of Fame induction ceremony, as well as a great sunset cruise, etc. All sorts of monkey sex every night. But she told me she couldn't live with me, but loved to go on vacation with me. But, so far, I have found the Denver chicks here have an even bigger stick up their *** than Boston chicks. So take that for what it's worth and with a grain of salt.

Don’t know where to start and didn’t see a thread on retired FBGs. Anyways I had a couple of medical scares recently that I’ve pretty much come though ok but now my wife really wants me to retire. I’m 58 ,have a federal pension and would receive a social security supplement from the OPM based on my SS payment at 62 . Since the pandemic I’ve been working 60-70 hours a week and now it seems weird to be suddenly on the sidelines. Can’t do much right now until after a scheduled surgery in early December so at this time this isn’t the retirement I envisioned but that will change.
That said what do you guys do during the day?

Glad you're on the mend.

Have you given Disc Golf a try? @urbanhack got me to try it a couple years back and I liked it ok, but didn't play very often. Fast forward to today, and now I play at least 3 times a week, usually by myself or with my dog but will occasionally play with buddies. For me, it's become a hobby that I absolutely want to do more of as I age, so IF I ever retire (and let's be honest, with five kids, youngest of which are 7, I'll probably die before I retire) I've got my daily activity already waiting for me.

Pros:
- Most courses are free to the public - the ones that are private are like $5-10 bucks tops. So unlike ball golf, the cost is to play is de minimis. Buy a few discs, a bag and wa la.
- Granted, it's not Crossfit or ultramarathon running, but you're getting some steps in. My goal is 10K steps a day, 18 holes of disc golf will get me half of that total at least.
- Fresh air and vitamin D.
- Folks that play are laid back and easy to befriend (unlike ball golf, which can be full of uptight dbags).
- Dog friendly (I just grab my bag of discs and my dog jumps up ready to go).
- FUN! I'm not very good, but I love it. Unlike ball golf where I was just getting worse with age, frustrated at the regression and would finish a round more aggravated than relaxed. Even a lousy round of disc golf makes me happy.
- You can play 18 in an hour or so.
- SO many courses out there, hidden in plain sight. Some are basic and easy, others are challenging and creative. Nothing better than looking for a new course to play on road trips/business trips.
This is a great idea for me I think. I think ill google some groups or look on facebooko.

reco for a set of disks?

Don’t know where to start and didn’t see a thread on retired FBGs. Anyways I had a couple of medical scares recently that I’ve pretty much come though ok but now my wife really wants me to retire. I’m 58 ,have a federal pension and would receive a social security supplement from the OPM based on my SS payment at 62 . Since the pandemic I’ve been working 60-70 hours a week and now it seems weird to be suddenly on the sidelines. Can’t do much right now until after a scheduled surgery in early December so at this time this isn’t the retirement I envisioned but that will change.

Glad you're on the mend.

Have you given Disc Golf a try? @urbanhack got me to try it a couple years back and I liked it ok, but didn't play very often. Fast forward to today, and now I play at least 3 times a week, usually by myself or with my dog but will occasionally play with buddies. For me, it's become a hobby that I absolutely want to do more of as I age, so IF I ever retire (and let's be honest, with five kids, youngest of which are 7, I'll probably die before I retire) I've got my daily activity already waiting for me.

Pros:
- Most courses are free to the public - the ones that are private are like $5-10 bucks tops. So unlike ball golf, the cost is to play is de minimis. Buy a few discs, a bag and wa la.
- Granted, it's not Crossfit or ultramarathon running, but you're getting some steps in. My goal is 10K steps a day, 18 holes of disc golf will get me half of that total at least.
- Folks that play are laid back and easy to befriend (unlike ball golf, which can be full of uptight dbags).
- FUN! I'm not very good, but I love it. Unlike ball golf where I was just getting worse with age, frustrated at the regression and would finish a round more aggravated than relaxed. Even a lousy round of disc golf makes me happy.
- SO many courses out there, hidden in plain sight. Some are basic and easy, others are challenging and creative. Nothing better than looking for a new course to play on road trips/business trips.
This is a great idea for me I think. I think ill google some groups or look on facebooko.

reco for a set of disks?

You can start with a 3-pack of Innova discs off AMZN: driver, mid-range, putter. All you need to start. YouTube has excellent beginner vids. Learning good footwork for me was key.

Have fun!

Reactions: KGB

Glad you're on the mend.

Pros:

reco for a set of disks?

You can start with a 3-pack of Innova discs off AMZN: driver, mid-range, putter. All you need to start. YouTube has excellent beginner vids. Learning good footwork for me was key.

Have fun!
Thanks. Yeah, every frisbee ive ever throw has gone left. im a lefty.

Im going to research left handed frisbees.

If you have enough post tax monies you can engineer a low enough salary from 62-65 to get a good subsidy out of Obamacare. That may or may not be a good option depending on what your marketplace looks like where you are.
This is what we are starting to look into if/when my wife's company goes under. This will give her the opportunity to get a small bookkeeper job or get her own clients, which already seems likely with her boss and other people. Or, like I hope to push her on, just retire and volunteer somewhere that interests her. We have enough to do that now but it's always a scary thought not knowing if you have enough.

I started doing voiceovers over 10 years ago, knowing that the AV staging world is a young man's game and I needed some kind of backup. Covid put an earlier end to AV than anticipated since we moved out of NY last year. VO is a hustle and a grind but I do well enough to continue full time, mostly due to my wife's salary as well, and it's something I enjoy and hope to do as long as I can. I rent a little space here in Boise and have a booth there in a quiet building about a mile from home, so it's a nice walk too through the city. So I'm kind of semi-retired now at 58.
I could easily find things to do to stay occupied if I was fully retired. I'm never bored. I've taken to improving my cooking, am expanding my photography knowledge especially with so much natural beauty around me here in Idaho, am looking to get back into painting, am taking regular long walks with headphones finally getting into podcasts and 5 years ago I stumbled into Taoism and it has really changed my worldview and outlook on life. Plus, like GM, I started getting into disc golf this year and hope to get more into it next year. Thankfully, my wife and I travelled extensively over the past 30+ years so there really aren't many places that we want to visit anymore, so we can just explore the beautiful PNW of this great country.

I hope your health issues resolve themselves HT and you find things in your life to enjoy the next stage you are heading into. Try to make it the greatest stage ever!

Not retired but I took a break for 4 months. What I found in that period was the old saying "now that I'm retired I have no idea how I had time to work". I hit the gym most mornings, played sports, visited relatives, travelled, did tons around the house that had been put off for years. Honestly I could travel 75% of my time and be so happy just driving around the US, flying to Europe, or hanging in the Caribbean. Problem is that takes money.

I think the biggest consideration if you retire before 62 is medical costs. Some are lucky to be able to carry on the insurance they had. But that number is small. Most people are gonna have to come up with $1500/month to cover married insurance costs. So retiring at say 52 means $180,000 of medical insurance cost until Medicare kicks in (and it is coming straight outta your savings since you can even get to your 401k/IRAs yet.)

The number to retire is getting bigger. Probably $3-4M to do it at 55. It's gotta last 30 years for 2 people.

I think the biggest consideration if you retire before 62 is medical costs. Some are lucky to be able to carry on the insurance they had. But that number is small. Most people are gonna have to come up with $1500/month to cover married insurance costs. So retiring at say 52 means $180,000 of medical insurance cost until Medicare kicks in (and it is coming straight outta your savings since you can even get to your 401k/IRAs yet.)
Can you keep your income low to take advantage of Obamacare? It's isn't a panacea, but it can be pretty low cost.

I'm retiring December 31.

Good luck and speedy recovery.
So at the last second, Nov 30, I renewed my RE license for another year. Prices quickly went down here 20 to 25 percent and have some old clients looking to get back into buying more rentals

Users who are viewing this thread