What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rex Grossman to start (1 Viewer)

I don't get why this is a funny move. Shanny is admitting that the Redskins including himself made a mistake by bringing McNabb in as he is merely a shell of who he once was. Should Shanny just stick with McNabb because of what he has done in the past and who he once was???
I could buy this if it weren't for the contract extension. It didn't make sense then and it makes less sense now. Yeah, there wasn't a whole bunch of guaranteed money, but he got $3.5M more and then there was the time, effort, and publicity that went into it. Puzzling.

I don't get why this is a funny move. Shanny is admitting that the Redskins including himself made a mistake by bringing McNabb in as he is merely a shell of who he once was. Should Shanny just stick with McNabb because of what he has done in the past and who he once was???
I could buy this if it weren't for the contract extension. It didn't make sense then and it makes less sense now. Yeah, there wasn't a whole bunch of guaranteed money, but he got $3.5M more and then there was the time, effort, and publicity that went into it. Puzzling.
Mebbe they can trade his rights? It's probably a pipe dream but I'd take a 7th for him at this point. That's about all he's worth.

I cannot believe some people in my leagues are picking this bum up. Talk about short memories. Now I can understand owners picking him up in leagues that award + points for fumbled snaps and interceptions.

I cannot believe some people in my leagues are picking this bum up. Talk about short memories. Now I can understand owners picking him up in leagues that award + points for fumbled snaps and interceptions.
Hey, some of us play in 16 team leagues and have a qb quartet of McNabb, Hassellbeck, Alex Smith, and Flynn. It would be dumb not to dump McNabb and grab Grossman as insurance, with no better qb's available on the wire.

Skeletor has lost his mind. This is really going to blow up in his face unless his ultimate goal is to get rid of McNabb and that smoke and mirrors new contract, then draft a real QB.
That is the plan I think. They might as well find out of they need to get a FA QB in the off-season to replace Rex, as you'll need a solid #2 behind the new rookie QB they will draft on day one. Can someone give them a 2nd for Hanesworth so we can get a WR too? That would be nice. :pickle:

So...Mcnabb gets cut and ends up in?? Buffalo?Car?ugh...OAK?
I seriously doubt they'll cut him, instead of trading him.
His new contract may make that difficult.Also, considering that he is finishing the year as the number 3 QB behind Grossman and ????, I don't know what the Redskins could possibly get in return.
I think that might have been the whole reason they signed him to a contract, in order to trade him. If they don't sign an extension beyond one year, he just walks.I keep hearing that his contract makes him untradeable? Why is this? Can someone explain to me the terms of the contract and what another team would have to take on if they signed him?

bump Armstrong
Actually, this is the one guy who takes a hit, imo. McNabb and Armstrong had developed pretty good chemistry and Grossman isn't as good at throwing deep as McNabb.
I'd like to think the frequency of Grossman's deep throws will outweigh whatever advantage you think McNabb has over him. However, I guess we should just wait and see. I like Armstrong getting passes from Grossman.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the pick the Eagles get from the Skins this year is contingent on the % of snaps McNabb plays. Maybe they see they're not going anywhere, so they're trying to keep the Eagles from getting the 'max' pick they could from the deal?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that the pick the Eagles get from the Skins this year is contingent on the % of snaps McNabb plays. Maybe they see they're not going anywhere, so they're trying to keep the Eagles from getting the 'max' pick they could from the deal?
It was based on a few factors. I'm pretty sure the eagles were only get a 4th back next season anyways.

Last edited by a moderator:
Between Week 2-12 (11 games) McNabb has thrown 15 picks. Rex wont do worse than that.
Grossman threw 20 picks in 16 games in 2006, the same rate. Grossman did it for a team that made the Super Bowl. The Redskins are one of the worst teams in the league. Yes, he'll do worse.

It was based on a few factors. I'm pretty sure the eagles were only get a 4th back next season anyways.
I thought it was a 3rd rounder if he hit the magic number. I'm off to Google........*edit* Yup I was right:
the Eagles traded McNabb to the Washington Redskins in return for a second-round (37th overall) pick in the 2010 NFL Draft and a conditional third- or fourth-round pick in the 2011 NFL Draft.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...ng-quarterback/

Just when you think the Redskins quarterback situation couldn’t get any more ridiculous, coach Mike Shanahan has found a new way to “disrespect” Donovan McNabb.

John Beck has passed McNabb on the depth chart, in addition to Rex Grossman. McNabb will be the team’s third quarterback Sunday.
Since Grossman will be the QB for the rest of the season, Shanahan has basically told McNabb to take a hike for the rest of the year.
Washington Redskins coach Mike Shanahan told reporters Friday that Rex Grossman will start Sunday against the Dallas Cowboys, and six-time Pro Bowl quarterback Donovan McNabb has been benched for the remainder of the season, barring injury.

The shocking move isn't sitting well with the players. "The guys are extremely pissed," one Redskins player said.

Shanahan said John Beck would be the second-string quarterback, making McNabb No. 3. Shanahan also said it was his priority to evaluate the other quarterbacks on the roster and that he already had seen what McNabb can do.

"There's nothing (McNabb) could do in the three games that would influence me with what he's done over the first 13 games," Shanahan said. "I have to do what's in the best interest of the organization. "I also told (McNabb) I could not guarantee him he would be back next season," said Shanahan, who later added: "I'm not saying he's not going to be with us next year. ... I will evaluate that and be as honest as I possibly can with him as time goes on. I want to get a feel on how Rex can run our offense in the next few weeks. ... I've been impressed with Rex since Day 1. ... I believe in him wholeheartedly."
linkSo Shanahan has given up on this year and just wants to see what he's got for next year. Maybe he could go home and just watch the games from there. He'll get booed mercilessly in DC.

I thought it was a 3rd rounder if he hit the magic number. I'm off to Google........*edit* Yup I was right:
the Eagles traded McNabb to the Washington Redskins in return for a second-round (37th overall) pick in the 2010 NFL Draft and a conditional third- or fourth-round pick in the 2011 NFL Draft.
Yea, but the pick that doesn't go to the eagles, goes to the Saints for the Jamaal Brown trade, IIRC.

Deranged Hermit said:
fatness said:
Dexter Manley said:
Yea, but the pick that doesn't go to the eagles, goes to the Saints for the Jamaal Brown trade, IIRC.
Correct.
:goodposting: Who cares who the pick goes to, they'd still lose the pick if McNabb hit the agreed upon 'magic' number of snaps. I mean, I guess it's better that the division rival didn't get the extra pick, but it's still gone regardless.
the Redskins have no fishing pole in the water on this one -- whether the pick is 3rd or 4th based on McNabb is irrelevant because they don't have that pick anyway.

Shanny is doing the right thing. Shanny said "I have evaluated McNabb for 13 games, he is not going to show me anything the last three that I don`t already know"

Traslation "McNabb is history in Wsshington" Shanny does not like his game. Right now there they are just evaluation who is going to be the backup for next year. Rex or Beck.

Shanny is doing the right thing. Shanny said "I have evaluated McNabb for 13 games, he is not going to show me anything the last three that I don`t already know"Traslation "McNabb is history in Wsshington" Shanny does not like his game. Right now there they are just evaluation who is going to be the backup for next year. Rex or Beck.
I'm thinking it's a shark move for Shanahan. He brought in McNabb. If he stuck with McNabb next year, and he doesn't do well....McNabb is out and so is Shanahan.So he is cutting bait and staking his coaching future on whoever he gets this offseason.

Summer Wheat said:
Paul Newton said:
I don't get why this is a funny move. Shanny is admitting that the Redskins including himself made a mistake by bringing McNabb in as he is merely a shell of who he once was. Should Shanny just stick with McNabb because of what he has done in the past and who he once was???Shanny is sending a message that if you don't play well you don't play. McNabb is a 9 year pro. He is playing in his tenth season and although his supporting cast has not been great, Donovan is a huge part of the problem. He has 14td's to 15 ints, he is completing only 58% of his passes, and his team is not winning.Shanny knows what he is in McNabb at this point and it is clear that he does not think he will be his QB of the future. I wrote this in another thread, but my guess is he is playing Grossman to see if he is worth keeping around as his back up going forward.
Didn't McNabb throw what should have been a game tying touchdown pass in the last seconds of the previous game? I don't see how McNabb's play on the field has justified Shanny to bench him. The fact that they are not winning would be difficult to place squarely on Donovan. Last week is a great example of that. Does Shanny really think Grossman gives them a better chance to win? C'Mon.....if anything this experiment will give Snyder all the info he needs to fire Shanahan, cut McNabb and Grossman.
This is what I don't get, also. McNabb just went 22-35-228 with 2TD and no INTs and Shanny picks now to bench him for Grossman? It makes no sense.
It makes total sense. McNabb will not be back next year. See what the other guys on your roster can do so you can prepare.
What?Everyone already knows what Rex Grossman can do. It that's what they're doing then Beck should be starting.

Regardless as to how Shanny is going about this, I find it telling that 2 very good (if not great) head coaches have now decided McNabb is not fit to lead their team. I know he was a great QB and I'm sure he will have plenty of interest in the offseason from other teams and I would love to see him succeed somewhere. But 2 head coaches have now said "thanks, but no thanks".

Dexter Manley said:
So...Mcnabb gets cut and ends up in?? Buffalo?Car?ugh...OAK?
I seriously doubt they'll cut him, instead of trading him.
In order to trade him wouldn't they need to pay his $10M roster bonus which would guarantee a good portion of his contract? What team is going to want give the Redskins value and then have to take on that contract?

Who would have guessed that the 1st UF QB to be named a starter this season would be Rex Grossman?

Maybe Rush was right about some things regarding McNabb.

Rush Limbaugh didn't say Donovan McNabb was a bad quarterback because he is black. He said that the media have overrated McNabb because he is black, and Limbaugh is right. He didn't say anything that he shouldn't have said, and in fact he said things that other commentators should have been saying for some time now. I should have said them myself. I mean, if they didn't hire Rush Limbaugh to say things like this, what did they hire him for? To talk about the prevent defense?

By Allen Barra Posted Thursday, Oct. 2, 2003, at 6:33 PM ET http://www.slate.com/id/2089193/

Rush Limbaugh didn't say Donovan McNabb was a bad quarterback because he is black. He said that the media have overrated McNabb because he is black, and Limbaugh is right. He didn't say anything that he shouldn't have said, and in fact he said things that other commentators should have been saying for some time now. I should have said them myself. I mean, if they didn't hire Rush Limbaugh to say things like this, what did they hire him for? To talk about the prevent defense?

By Allen Barra Posted Thursday, Oct. 2, 2003, at 6:33 PM ET http://www.slate.com/id/2089193/
Stupid post. Rush has no credibility whatsoever.McNabb won in Reid's system, and the media lionized McNabb for his performance. I don't believe any other quarterback took the Eagles to five straight NFC championship games, and some of his games were like quarterback clinics.

Why is Rush even in this discussion?

Cowboys are apparently getting cocky and giving Rex and the Skins bulletin board material:

The Cowboys are excited for Rex Grossman’s promotion

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 17, 2010, 4:01 PM EST

The news that Rex Grossman would start at quarterback Sunday for the Redskins caused howls in Washington, but a far different reaction in Dallas where Grossman would be playing.

“Everybody started smiling,” Dallas defensive end Jason Hatcher said via Rick Maese of the Washington Post. “We were pretty happy about the news. . . . We’ll take Rex over McNabb any day.”

So would most NFL coaches. Redskins offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan has a history with Grossman and sees some upside in the former Chicago Bears player, even if he’s not too mobile.

“[McNabb's] hard to contain,” Hatcher said. “He’s hard to bring down and he can make plays with his legs and his arm. Not taking anything away from Rex Grossman, I think he’s a good quarterback also.”

Not taking anything away from him. But, you know, we’re pumped he’s playing.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/...mans-promotion/

Stupid post. Rush has no credibility whatsoever.McNabb won in Reid's system, and the media lionized McNabb for his performance. I don't believe any other quarterback took the Eagles to five straight NFC championship games, and some of his games were like quarterback clinics.

Why is Rush even in this discussion?
Hasn't McNabb gone through these bouts before of being very inaccurate as a passer? There has to be some overhype associated with McNabb. Sorry if I'm off base here, but McNabb has never looked as good as the media has made him out to be. At least not to me he hasn't.

Deranged Hermit said:
I thought it was a 3rd rounder if he hit the magic number.
It's a 3rd rounder if McNabb gets 70% of the snaps AND the Skins win 9 games. Since it's not possible for Washington to win 9 games, they don't have to bench McNabb to save the draft pick.

Rush Limbaugh didn't say Donovan McNabb was a bad quarterback because he is black. He said that the media have overrated McNabb because he is black, and Limbaugh is right.
Where is Limbaugh's evidence that the media overrated McNabb because he was black?? Maybe the media overrated McNabb because his team won 70% of its games over the previous 3 seasons? Maybe the media overrated McNabb because quarterbacks tend to get more credit than they deserve? Maybe the media overrated McNabb for a myriad of other reasons?Just because Rush Limbaugh says something, that doesn't magically make it true.

Rush Limbaugh didn't say Donovan McNabb was a bad quarterback because he is black. He said that the media have overrated McNabb because he is black, and Limbaugh is right.
Where is Limbaugh's evidence that the media overrated McNabb because he was black?? Maybe the media overrated McNabb because his team won 70% of its games over the previous 3 seasons? Maybe the media overrated McNabb because quarterbacks tend to get more credit than they deserve? Maybe the media overrated McNabb for a myriad of other reasons?Just because Rush Limbaugh says something, that doesn't magically make it true.
I agree. He could be overrated for many reasons. I'm just saying that Rush is not necessarily wrong and was crucified much too harshly for his statements.

no he's just a racist pos. thanks for the flame.

Hasn't McNabb gone through these bouts before of being very inaccurate as a passer? There has to be some overhype associated with McNabb. Sorry if I'm off base here, but McNabb has never looked as good as the media has made him out to be. At least not to me he hasn't.
Very few people arguing with that here. No need for :hifive:

I agree. He could be overrated for many reasons. I'm just saying that Rush is not necessarily wrong and was crucified much too harshly for his statements.
If someone makes a claim, then offers nothing to back it up, then justifies it by saying he's not necessarily wrong........he's going to be crucified. And rightly so.The funny thing is that Limbaugh would have looked like a total genius if he'd just stuck to the "McNabb is overrated/the defense carried the team" talking points. But by playing the race card he forfeited the right to puff out his chest and proclaim "I told you so!"

If someone makes a claim, then offers nothing to back it up, then justifies it by saying he's not necessarily wrong........he's going to be crucified. And rightly so.The funny thing is that Limbaugh would have looked like a total genius if he'd just stuck to the "McNabb is overrated/the defense carried the team" talking points. But by playing the race card he forfeited the right to puff out his chest and proclaim "I told you so!"
Again, I agree. The best thing he could have done was exactly what you said, "McNabb is overrated/the defense carried the team, etc. etc.", instead of playing the race card. He would have looked pretty good right now had he done that.

It would be interesting to see Mcnabb in Miami with Marshall, Bess, and Fasano to throw to and Brown and Williams toting the rock.

At this point in his career I think that he is a great bridge; a veteran QB willing to share his knowledge to a young, 1st round QB who can sit a year and learn before being thrown to the wolves. The team gets a mentor for the young QB and still has a good, veteran QB running the team giving them a shot to win.

Just a thought but Carolina would work, but McNabb would have to teach the QB and the WRs at the same time. I like the idea of him in Miami though...I could see that being beneficial to all parties.

Very few people arguing with that here. No need for :fishing:
Do you disagree that the media has overhyped McNabb more than they should have? Do you think McNabb's talent has justified the hype the media has showered him with over the years?

So he is cutting bait and staking his coaching future on whoever he gets this offseason.
And he'll likely trade away some of the few Redskin draft picks to move up in the draft and pick a QB. Pretty much a desperation move at this point, after giving up a 2nd and 3rd for McNabb and bailing on him. Reminds me of Josh McDaniels more and more as this season goes on.

This tired old #### comes up in every McNabb thread.
I apologize for bringing up Linbaugh, but McNabb has been overrated throughout his career. I may not agree with Linbaugh as to why he's overrated, but I do agree with him being overrated and I'm not entirely convinced he was wrong or right about McNabb.

The humor is not from the switch so much as it is about trading for him and giving him an extension paying $3.75 million for the right to give him an extension calling him dumb and fat - then benching him.
Fixed.
Fixed some more.
Since I posted this, several other folks chimed in on Twitter. Holden Kushner from 106.7 The Fan estimated that the ratio was 70-30 cheers. Jack Kogod, a longtime Wizards and Redskins fan, put it at 60-40 boos. SB Nation's Mike PRada called it 50-50. Others suggested that it was primarily Lakers fans who were booing McNabb, and that the booing was "not hardcore."

So if there's a silver lining it's that, at best, only half the home crowd booed McNabb. Which, I suppose, is progress from his days in Philadelphia :P .
:tfp: :lmao: Yea those Laker fans have a long history of hating McNabb. :tfp: :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread