What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rex Ryan benches WR Clowney For Tweet (1 Viewer)

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
After NE win, Clowney posted this on his twitter feed. "1 play in the 1st Half, 4 plays in the 2nd half . . . A bit disappointed about my playing time but very happy and satisfied about the win."

That was enough to earn a benching from his coach who made him inactive yesterday according to profootballtalk.

That's beyond lame. Have a no tweet policy if you want. But to call this out as the "no player is bigger than the team" thing is just stupid.

If Mangini had done this in Cleveland, it would be "control freak that's lost the locker room".

It's against the rules to do say anything less than praises about coach of the year after 3 games Rex Ryan but this is :thumbdown:

J

A bit disappointed about my playing time but very happy and satisfied about the win."
I don't get it. He should be disappointed about his lack of PT & happy with the team winning. I'd hate to have a player satisfied being on the sideline. You want them hungry for playing time if they're not starting.

Agree with you on the surface Joe, but perhaps there is more behind the scenes?

Maybe there has been some small history in this short time, and with Clowney "going public" even as innocent as it seems could have made Ryan feel like Clowney crossed a line or was instigating the matter?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see anything wrong with that Tweet. Peculiar decision by Ryan especially since he and the whole team have been running their mouths to media for weeks now.

Agree with you on the surface Joe, but perhaps there is more behind the scenes?Maybe there has been some small history in this short time, and with Clowney "going public" even as innocent as it seems could have made Ryan feel like Clowney crossed a line or was instigating the matter?
Could be. Looks to me like there must be something more.J

Agree with you on the surface Joe, but perhaps there is more behind the scenes?Maybe there has been some small history in this short time, and with Clowney "going public" even as innocent as it seems could have made Ryan feel like Clowney crossed a line or was instigating the matter?
Could be. Looks to me like there must be something more.J
He's probably been acting like a Clown.

I could see Ryan's act as being one that gets kinda old after awhile. Obviously that didn't happen as DC in BAL, but he never had this much power in BAL, either.

I could see Ryan's act as being one that gets kinda old after awhile. Obviously that didn't happen as DC in BAL, but he never had this much power in BAL, either.
It'll be all about the wins Patrick.They keep winning and it's all good. They start losing and he's Mangini. That's what irritating. If Mangini had done this, it would be "he's a control freak / lost the locker room / doesn't understand players". But at 3-0, it's new sheriff in town. :goodposting:J

I hope Sanchez sends a stupid tweet.
That's another angle. It just feels like bullying. He picks the weak kid and chooses to make an example out of him. Big "new sheriff in town" shtick. Not a fan.J
Yup. Not a lot to see here:It's Ryan being a bully + being the toast of the town and 3-0 entitles you to do anything. Odd move by a coach who shouldn't be feeling power hungry, but also not a huge deal. I don't think this is the sort of thing that's going to hurt the team's chances of winning, so it's going to be a non-issue. But I don't think Ryan did the right thing.

caglassc said:
Joe Bryant said:
bostonfred said:
That's another angle. It just feels like bullying. He picks the weak kid and chooses to make an example out of him. Big "new sheriff in town" shtick. Not a fan.J
Joe - do you have people who police this board? Have you banned people in the past for saying things that someone deemed as crossing the line?
:unsure:

It seems to me some key information is missing here.

Was the punishment for violating a teamwide "no-tweet" policy? If so, then there's no issue.

If it's for the content of the tweet, then I'm with the rest of the guys wondering how the guy should be expected to react, if not happy about winning but disappointed about not being more involved. That's exactly how you the coach should want the guy to feel.

Chase Stuart said:
Joe Bryant said:
bostonfred said:
Yup. Not a lot to see here:It's Ryan being a bully + being the toast of the town and 3-0 entitles you to do anything. Odd move by a coach who shouldn't be feeling power hungry, but also not a huge deal. I don't think this is the sort of thing that's going to hurt the team's chances of winning, so it's going to be a non-issue. But I don't think Ryan did the right thing.
Sorta reminds me of his old man. Huge ego, but not enough to back it up....yet.Ryan would have problems with Chad Ochocinco.

I like it. He has control over the team, they are winning, they believe in themselves. I am a Phinsfan but I am quietly a Rex Ryan fan and think the Jets needed an overhaul on atitude and they are getting it.

He didn't take Clowney's paycheck, he simply made him inactive, sent a message to the team, I like it. WHo is Clowney anyways?

Joe Bryant said:
PatrickT said:
It'll be all about the wins Patrick.They keep winning and it's all good. They start losing and he's Mangini.

That's what irritating. If Mangini had done this, it would be "he's a control freak / lost the locker room / doesn't understand players". But at 3-0, it's new sheriff in town. :thumbdown:

J
I disagree... Ryan is one of those coaches that excites players midweek with Game plans.... The players know and trust where he's coming from. He works with the players to tweek game plans and put players in position to succeed. Even with losses I think Players stick with him quite a while cuz they trust what he's selling....That's not really Mangini. Players thought Mangini's system was confining and on D players don't love it as much in a read and react environment - they want to let it fly and rely more on ability with more defined roles. Besides the fact that Mangini was secretive and just plain uninspiring...

I think Rex holds players interest a lot longer than Mangini given equal losses.

Mangini had some off the wall game plans at times and players were frustrated with the Jets for lack of player involvement.... I wouldn't be surprised in the least if players talked to Woody Johnson behind the scenes or if Woody asked players and that was a major reason for Mangini getting the boot.

Hey, I was one of the last Mangini fans standing in NY - I think he knows football.. I just think Rex is night and day when it comes to knowing football and translating it to the players plus bonding with the players...

As for Clwoney - I don't see it as a big deal - Ryan in interviews today was kinda saying "David knows where I'm coming from - we're on the same page and he's a big part of this team"....

I like it. He has control over the team, they are winning, they believe in themselves. I am a Phinsfan but I am quietly a Rex Ryan fan and think the Jets needed an overhaul on atitude and they are getting it.

He didn't take Clowney's paycheck, he simply made him inactive, sent a message to the team, I like it. WHo is Clowney anyways?
Mr. August.

Joe Bryant said:
PatrickT said:
It'll be all about the wins Patrick.They keep winning and it's all good. They start losing and he's Mangini. That's what irritating. If Mangini had done this, it would be "he's a control freak / lost the locker room / doesn't understand players". But at 3-0, it's new sheriff in town. :thumbup:J
As I started reading through the thread I was going to post both what Patrick said and what you said. I agree; Ryan will get away with his attitude just as long as he's winning, but it's an attitude that wears thin and once winning no makes it all OK, I think he loses the team. Mangenius is a good example. The Clowney thing makes Ryan look a little bit hypersensitive to me. A private talk with the player would seem the appropriate thing if he was unhappy with what was said -- although I don't understanding a player voicing wanting to play more being a crime at all -- but to bring the hammer down the way he did was clearly overkill.

HellToupee said:
A bit disappointed about my playing time but very happy and satisfied about the win."
I don't get it. He should be disappointed about his lack of PT & happy with the team winning. I'd hate to have a player satisfied being on the sideline. You want them hungry for playing time if they're not starting.
:confused:

Joe Bryant said:
PatrickT said:
It'll be all about the wins Patrick.They keep winning and it's all good. They start losing and he's Mangini.

That's what irritating. If Mangini had done this, it would be "he's a control freak / lost the locker room / doesn't understand players". But at 3-0, it's new sheriff in town. :lol:

J
As I started reading through the thread I was going to post both what Patrick said and what you said. I agree; Ryan will get away with his attitude just as long as he's winning, but it's an attitude that wears thin and once winning no makes it all OK, I think he loses the team. Mangenius is a good example. The Clowney thing makes Ryan look a little bit hypersensitive to me. I private talk with the player would seem the appropriate thing if he was unhappy with what was said -- although I don't understanding a player voicing wanting to play more being a crime at all -- but to bring the hammer down the way he did was clearly overkill.
Again.. I don't get this at all...I think were seeing the night and day difference between Mangenius and Rex....

Rex is a people person.... Mangini is not.. To me that's what makes people run through a wall for you....

Here's more on the "story":

Jets

Show me you’re a Jet.

That was head coach Rex Ryan’s message to WR David Clowney, who was deactivated for the Titans game.

“I put David down this week. That was my decision, nobody else’s,” Ryan said at his news conference this afternoon the day after the Jets improved to 3-0 with their 24-17 win over Tennessee. “I wanted to see how David would respond.

“David had two options. He could have come down and been upset and pouted, or he could come out and be a Jet and work his tail off and show me that he wants to do it our way.”

After the Jets' Week 2 win over the Patriots, Clowney expressed via his Twitter account that he was “a bit disappointed” concerning his playing time in the game, what he said was a total of five plays.

The coach said he told Clowney early last week that he would be deactivated for the Titans.

“To me it’s like this is about our team,” said Ryan, "understanding that it’s about our team and that no one individual is bigger than the team.”

That’s the impact that Ryan is trying to make, putting no player above another in building a team atmosphere. And Clowney responded with his play during last week's practices.

“He was phenomenal this week in preparation — in fact, I’ll give him the 'scout team player of the week,' ” Ryan said. “He humbled himself and that was it.

“He has no reason not being up. He’s too talented, too athletic, too fast not to be a guy that we can count on down after down. Nobody’s a bigger fan of David Clowney than I am.”

Clowney’s tweets in the recent week have looked look like this:

“My team always comes first so I'ma just keep grinding ... And we gonna keep winning.”

and:

“Its Titans week,.. Watch my team get stronger and stronger every game.”

That’s how Ryan thinks it should be. He was also asked about safety Eric Smith, who he admitted he wasn't high on after the first veterans minicamp in April but since then has been very impressed with.

caglassc said:
Joe Bryant said:
bostonfred said:
Joe - do you have people who police this board? Have you banned people in the past for saying things that someone deemed as crossing the line?
Don't get this comment. Banning someone for repeatedly abusing a rule and benching someone for a single (and in my opinion, fairly innocent tweet) to make an example of them don't equate in my mind.

its not like Clowney ever catches balls in the regular season anyway. At least he had an excuse this week.

If i was a head coach, I'd just have a no twitter policy.

Joe Bryant said:
Addai said:
The NFL spent quite a bit of time with the players on this before the season started. It's all public.
This issue isn't an NFL thing. It's a Ryan thing.J
Nope.
Can you elaborate on what you mean?J
The groundwork was laid this off season for this kind of misbehavior. They even did a piece on on "Hard Knocks", though I think they were educating more the players about the pitfalls of online comments, saying it's the same as if you said it in the locker room.

caglassc said:
Joe Bryant said:
bostonfred said:
Don't get this comment. Banning someone for repeatedly abusing a rule and benching someone for a single (and in my opinion, fairly innocent tweet) to make an example of them don't equate in my mind.
When did I use the word "repeatedly"?? You break the rule (wether it is written on unwritten) is apparently the case here......

Joe Bryant said:
After NE win, Clowney posted this on his twitter feed. "1 play in the 1st Half, 4 plays in the 2nd half . . . A bit disappointed about my playing time but very happy and satisfied about the win."That was enough to earn a benching from his coach who made him inactive yesterday according to profootballtalk.That's beyond lame. Have a no tweet policy if you want. But to call this out as the "no player is bigger than the team" thing is just stupid. If Mangini had done this in Cleveland, it would be "control freak that's lost the locker room".It's against the rules to do say anything less than praises about coach of the year after 3 games Rex Ryan but this is :ptts: J
Hi Joe,The way I coach my football team isn't for everyone. However, there are a lot of NFL teams to root for which is what makes the NFL so great. I've been coaching like this since day 1 so not much has changed here. Is it the right way to coach? I don't know, but is how I do it and it seems like it works for me.Have a great season guy.Sincerely,Rex Ryan

caglassc said:
Joe Bryant said:
bostonfred said:
When did I use the word "repeatedly"?? You break the rule (wether it is written on unwritten) is apparently the case here......
You didn't, I did. I've never seen or heard of anyone banned for a single off-hand comment, which is what you appear to be insinuating. People are banned for repeatedly breaking a rule, or for egregiously stepping over the line. I don't see the equation between your comment and Ryan's benching of Clowney.

You didn't, I did. I've never seen or heard of anyone banned for a single off-hand comment, which is what you appear to be insinuating. People are banned for repeatedly breaking a rule, or for egregiously stepping over the line. I don't see the equation between your comment and Ryan's benching of Clowney.
Well, I have seen people banned for a period of time for a comment they have made - more so in the free for all forum. So, the equation is you make a comment like Clowney and the coach sits you - just like making a comment on this board that would be over the line according to the mods and you would "get a timeout"....if you don't see this then I can't help you.

Well, I have seen people banned for a period of time for a comment they have made - more so in the free for all forum. So, the equation is you make a comment like Clowney and the coach sits you - just like making a comment on this board that would be over the line according to the mods and you would "get a timeout"....if you don't see this then I can't help you.
It is quite likely that there is some sort of team rule that would classify his statement as "not excellent", hence the "timeout". Just a thought. :ptts:

Also FWIW, this decision was made when the Jets were 2-0, not 3-0.
Yes, it was after the Pats game.What I'm saying is that at 3-0, he'll get a free pass on this.J
That may be the case but the point remains that Ryan's thought process was not, "I'm 3-0 I can do whatever I want" like you're implying.
No, I think he means if Ryan did this and they were 0-3, there would be much negative press towards Ryan.How Ryan has lost control, the inmates are running the asylum, he is a control freak etc... But they are 3-0 so all is good, it's a footnote in the papers, some that read will say good, new sheriff in town is layin down the law.

caglassc said:
Jet fans have been following Clowney's Twitter antics all summer....I'm pretty sure this is a case of multiple infractions.....

This is a non-issue

Clowney has been Tweeting out of tune before this instance. In addition, Rex stated that he also did not like some things that he saw in practice during the week, thus a benching. He then went on to say that Clowney is a great athlete who will make positive contributions to the team this year. - Interview with Michael Kay.

I got no problem with the benching. I'm not sure why so many do.

The guy, who's apparently fighting for playing time anyway, is publicly complaining about his playing time? Listing the actual number of plays makes this worse, imo. I can't express exactly why though. Listing the number plays puts it in whining territory, I think.

What he did was very different than saying/tweeting something like "I would loved the chance to be in the game more, but....."

I don't see anything wrong with benching a guy for publicly whining about his playing time.

In the times I've seen Ryan speak, I always think the same thing, "Damn, I'd love to play football for this guy." I have a feeling the Jet players feel the same way. I'd think that's why Ryan can get away this and someone like the Manginius can't.

caglassc said:
Joe Bryant said:
bostonfred said:
Not enough given the current state of these forums.

Clowney's next tweet should be "I'm pretty excited that I didn't have to play today, and I still got paid! Kinda sucks that we won though."

You can save the condescension, please, I grasp the concept, thanks. They two don't equate in mind. Have a nice day.

Joe Bryant said:
After NE win, Clowney posted this on his twitter feed. "1 play in the 1st Half, 4 plays in the 2nd half . . . A bit disappointed about my playing time but very happy and satisfied about the win."That was enough to earn a benching from his coach who made him inactive yesterday according to profootballtalk.That's beyond lame. Have a no tweet policy if you want. But to call this out as the "no player is bigger than the team" thing is just stupid. If Mangini had done this in Cleveland, it would be "control freak that's lost the locker room".It's against the rules to do say anything less than praises about coach of the year after 3 games Rex Ryan but this is :unsure: J
Really surprised you would have this view, GB. I love the discipline, I love that he is setting the precedent and letting these guys know that prima donnas will not be tolerated. It's a fantastic response to the TOs and Ochocincos of the world. Good for him. And I think it's good for the team.

Users who are viewing this thread