What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rey Maualuga - USC Linebacker (1 Viewer)

AtomicDogg97

Footballguy
I have a question for people who have watched alot of USC games...what is your opinion of Rey Maualuga and his pro prospects? I know he has a reputation as a ferocious hitter who is a tackling machine. But I have also heard people say he sometimes disappears and that he makes alot of mental mistakes. Is he expected to be a top 10 pick in the 2009 NFL draft?

Right now he is expected to be a top pick in the draft. How that changes between now and then is anyone's guess.

His athletic ability and nose for the ball are tremendous but whether he will be the next Junior Seau or the next Chris Claiborne is also anyone's guess.

Personally I think he is going to be a force at the next level.

I have a question for people who have watched alot of USC games...what is your opinion of Rey Maualuga and his pro prospects? I know he has a reputation as a ferocious hitter who is a tackling machine. But I have also heard people say he sometimes disappears and that he makes alot of mental mistakes. Is he expected to be a top 10 pick in the 2009 NFL draft?
From what I have seen, he is a very good MLB. If I had my choice, I would probably take him over Laurinaitis at this point. I think the perception that he disappears might be due to him playing alongside Cushing and Matthews, two other legitimate playmakers. There are only so many opportunities for each defender.

He was the best player on the field during USC's Rose Bowl win over Illinois last season, and quite fun to watch. I'll be shocked if he slips out of the top 15 picks or so...

He was disappointing early in the year when he was trying to do too much and make too many highlight plays. He was really subpar against Oregon St. when the Beavers continually ran zone plays right at him. However, Carroll had a talk with him about staying within himself and he's now playing the best ball of his career. I always felt he was a little overrated despite his incredible talent until the Cal game this year. He was reading and reacting in a flash, beating blockers to the play, and tripping up Jahvid Best at the line before he had a chance to unleash his 4.3 speed. Even if he's a little undisciped playing for pay, that won't be much different than Junior Seau. His physical gifts are undeniable.

Last edited by a moderator:
High risk/high reward.

He has elite potential but has a tendency to play too aggressively and finds himself out of position too often. On USC, surrounded by that talent, and playing against inferior talent it isn't as noticable. On a more balanced playing field it's something that probably will be exposed.

That said I'd take him in a heartbeat before Little Animal, who I don't expect to be any good at the next level.

The best bet for a quality LB in this class is Aaron Curry, doesn't have the ceiling that Rey does but should be good for a long time and carries much less risk.

You might get better responses in the IDP fourm.

I think Rey is a sure fire top 10 pick. He is a high motor guy who playes a lot faster than his 40 time and 260lb frame would suggest. His instincts are solid. He knows how to find the gaps and rarely misses tackles. He takes great angles to track down the ball carrier. If he makes mental mistakes it's in pass coverage. He'll match up well against most backs and TE's in the NFL but he doesn't seem to break on the ball very well which means guys often make the catch but don't get get much yac. He is leathal seperating guys from the ball with contact.

He's a playmaker with huge NFL potential.

Positives: Big LB 265 lbs, who moves around from side line to side line like junior seau. Also is an outstanding pass rusher. Mean player who likes to hurt people.

Negatives: Has a little Odell Thurman in him. Over pursues alot and couldn't beat out a more disciplined Oscar Lua who went undrafted. He looked awful against the midget RB from Oregon St constantly out of position. He's also had off the field incidents including one where he hit a guy while he was down and said, "I own the police."

Positives: Big LB 265 lbs, who moves around from side line to side line like junior seau. Also is an outstanding pass rusher. Mean player who likes to hurt people.

Negatives: Has a little Odell Thurman in him. Over pursues alot and couldn't beat out a more disciplined Oscar Lua who went undrafted. He looked awful against the midget RB from Oregon St constantly out of position. He's also had off the field incidents including one where he hit a guy while he was down and said, "I own the police."
That "midget rb" may be under the radar but he is a serious ball player. He's still a freshman, give him a few years to develop and add some lbs. He could be another MJD type back.

Laurinaitis
Will be nothing more than an average LB in NFL. He is overated in my opinion because he plays for Ohio State. I think he is too small to play mike anyways so i expect him to get moved to the weakside due to his size and speed. Porbably will impress with speed at combine so will most likely be a top 15 pick. But not worth it.Maualuga is a great NFL prospect. I think his durability will be only question. Between him and A. Curry out of Wake, they are two best prospects this year I think.

That "midget rb" may be under the radar but he is a serious ball player. He's still a freshman, give him a few years to develop and add some lbs. He could be another MJD type back.
Yeah, if you are gonna crack on Jacquizz Rodgers, you haven't been watching him. Fantastic season by him and he's schooled plenty of teams, not just USC. That said, the whole of USC looked like crap that game and completely played without focus.Other than that, I pretty much agree with a lot of what has been said here. He's a fierce player, fast and good with his hands as well as tough on opposing players. He'll go high in the 2009 draft (unless he implodes between now and then) and disappears at times because there are so many solid players around him to make plays.

I think he'll play well at the next level and I like him a ton more than Laurinaitis.

Like Lauranitis, I think Maualuga has a lot more hype than he probably deserves. Very inconsistent player, who can bite on false action in the backfield. When he is attacking the line of scrimmage, he is a beast, but when asked to read and react, I think he is going to have a lot of trouble at the next level. I think he is best suited as a 3-4 middle linebacker. I closely watched the Ohio State game, and was shocked watching Maualuga get pancaked a couple of times. These were on plays that had counter action in the backfield.

The guy will be a star in the NFL.....great instincts, hits like a MACK truck.......much better than Lofa Tatupu even as he should grade out as a middle 1st Rder.......Pro Bowler within 2 years!

He's supremely athletically gifted. Physically, he's a monster.

The knock on him is his game instincts. I have been comparing him to Ray Lewis, but the more I've been thinking about it, the better comparison is Jeremiah Trotter. I think he's best put into an attacking defense rather than a read-and-react defense, that utilizes his speed and aggressive play.

The guy will be a star in the NFL.....great instincts, hits like a MACK truck.......much better than Lofa Tatupu even as he should grade out as a middle 1st Rder.......Pro Bowler within 2 years!
Physically he is one of USC's most talented linebackers ever but no way is he much better than Lofa. Lofa was never caught out of position and had perhaps the best nose for the ball of any USC defender since Ronnie Lott and Clay Matthews Sr.

Wow the lack of love for Brandon Spikes is mind boggling. That said, Aaron Curry has proven himself to be the best LB in this year's class. I'd probably also take Witherspoon and Cushing over Rey too. Rey's got the physical talent and perhaps more than any other draft prospect, but it appears that he doesn't have the instincts. I watched him closely this season and he was always out of position, something I think that wasn't as magnified last year (for whatever reason). The best bet for him would be for him to be drafted as a 3-4 'thumper' ILB paired with a smart but undersized player like Stephen Cooper (Chargers) and it could pay some massive dividends. Cooper can stay at home and SDC can create multiple blitz packages with Maualuga and Merriman. Maualuga has insane burst and derives a significant amount of power when he runs. He's an absolute freight train and can dictate the flow of the football to the outside where SD has their best play makers.

Here's my list so far:

Top 4-3 MLB:

1.) Brandon Spikes

2.) James Laurinaitis

3.) Jasper Brinkley

4.) Darry Beckwith

5.) Rey Maualuga

Top 3-4 ILB:

1.) Brandon Spikes

2.) Jasper Brinkley

3.) Brian Cushing

4.) Rey Maualuga

5.) Worrell Williams

Wow the lack of love for Brandon Spikes is mind boggling.
Bob Davie thinks Spikes is going to be a 3-4 OLB and Kiper doesn't even have him as one of the seven LBs in his top-25. I'm like you in thinking you can't play MLB much better than Spikes has played it this year, but there must be something in his measurables that has the pros downgrading him as a NFL MLB.

Bob Davie thinks Spikes is going to be a 3-4 OLB and Kiper doesn't even have him as one of the seven LBs in his top-25. I'm like you in thinking you can't play MLB much better than Spikes has played it this year, but there must be something in his measurables that has the pros downgrading him as a NFL MLB.
Well perhaps, but he's got a frame that can put on 15 pounds without affecting his mobility much. 6'3 240 right now, one of the fastest LB's in the draft, I don't really see what the issue is. As for those draft experts, Kiper has Tebow as his #2 junior TE. A good bit of these rankings are about throwing #### against the wall and hoping it sticks.

In that right system I think he can be successful, but I really question his sideline to sideline speed. He's a menace in the middle of the field, but I don't think he moves well enough laterally to cover that much ground at the NFL level. College? Yes. NFL? I doubt it.I think a similar talent can be mined out toward the end of the draft so unless Spikes were to slip to the 2nd/3rd round I'd rather wait.

Top 4-3 MLB: 1.) Brandon Spikes2.) James Laurinaitis3.) Jasper Brinkley4.) Darry Beckwith5.) Rey MaualugaTop 3-4 ILB:1.) Brandon Spikes2.) Jasper Brinkley3.) Brian Cushing4.) Rey Maualuga5.) Worrell Williams
Brinkley is the only truly elite LB prospect on these lists.

Physically he is one of USC's most talented linebackers ever but no way is he much better than Lofa. Lofa was never caught out of position and had perhaps the best nose for the ball of any USC defender since Ronnie Lott and Clay Matthews Sr.
Tatupu is good, but also slightly overrated.....The NFL is primarily about stud talent, the coaches will figure out how to deploy the talent. Give me a guy with his physical gifts and we'll get him to make plays. It's not like Lofa can play in any type of scheme, he's very undersized for a MIKE and will never be able to take on interior blockers....."Rey Rey" will blow up guards and fullbacks all day as well as play sideline-to-sideline......Maleauga >>> TatupuThe verdict will be delivered soon enough.....

Top 4-3 MLB: 1.) Brandon Spikes2.) James Laurinaitis3.) Jasper Brinkley4.) Darry Beckwith5.) Rey MaualugaTop 3-4 ILB:1.) Brandon Spikes2.) Jasper Brinkley3.) Brian Cushing4.) Rey Maualuga5.) Worrell Williams
That's why I have him pretty high. But you are right, it seems he's not getting a lot of love. Not sure what others are seeing :bye:I think Spikes will end up being the better (and more versatile) pro. Laurinaitis is only up there on the MLB list if its a cover-2 system.

That's why I have him pretty high. But you are right, it seems he's not getting a lot of love. Not sure what others are seeing :goodposting:I think Spikes will end up being the better (and more versatile) pro. Laurinaitis is only up there on the MLB list if its a cover-2 system.
Agreed in part.I don't think either Maualuga or Brinkley will be three down LB's. Downhill thumpers who are ideal for 4-3 Mikes. Love Brinkley being as underrated as he is. Someone's going to get a 2-3 round steal. For me, he is easily the best in this class in his likely role.I see Spikes as strictly a 4-3 WLB. I don't see the stack and shed to play the middle in the NFL, nor do I see the rush/coverage skills to play in the 3-4. I do think he has the best chance to be on the field in nickel situations if he lands as a WLB.Laurinitis is a non-factor in these rankings IMO. Posluszny or Hawk redone. Good not great players.

Top 4-3 MLB:

1.) Brandon Spikes

2.) James Laurinaitis

3.) Jasper Brinkley

4.) Darry Beckwith

5.) Rey Maualuga
Completely disagree with you on Spikes and Laurinitis. Spikes did not impress me in all in the game I broke down (Florida Miami). And Laurinaitis is very overhyped.Here is my blurb on Spikes from that game:

BRANDON SPIKES, LINEBACKER (6'3 245) JUNIOR (# 51)

Spikes gets a lot of press about his future pro career, but I did not see an elite skill set in this game. When he is left unblocked, Spikes does a tremendous job of chasing down the running back. Great tackler in the open field. However, he shies away from contact, and would rather run around an offensive lineman than maintaining his responsibility. This creates big holes in the defense. Easily blocked by linemen and tight ends in this game, getting pancaked several times. Needs to improve.

Link to Full Scouting Post

Last edited by a moderator:
He's supremely athletically gifted. Physically, he's a monster.

The knock on him is his game instincts. I have been comparing him to Ray Lewis, but the more I've been thinking about it, the better comparison is Jeremiah Trotter. I think he's best put into an attacking defense rather than a read-and-react defense, that utilizes his speed and aggressive play.
That is a great comparison. When you tell him where to go, he is going to blow up plays. Hut if you have him read and react, he is going to get himself in a lot of trouble.

Tatupu is good, but also slightly overrated.....The NFL is primarily about stud talent, the coaches will figure out how to deploy the talent. Give me a guy with his physical gifts and we'll get him to make plays. It's not like Lofa can play in any type of scheme, he's very undersized for a MIKE and will never be able to take on interior blockers....."Rey Rey" will blow up guards and fullbacks all day as well as play sideline-to-sideline......Maleauga >>> TatupuThe verdict will be delivered soon enough.....
Sounds like the same things people used to say about Sam Mills and Zach Thomas. Million dollar talent doesnt mean anything if he has a 10 cent head. I think Rey will be great in the NFL but if he cannot absorb the schemes he will not come close to matching Lofa for production. Lofa is not a product of the system either, he is great because he is smart and would be great in any system because he is smart. He doesn't play in the Tampa-2 which funnels everything to the Will or the Pittsburgh 3-4 which is designed for the OLBs to make plays, he plays the Mike in a standard 4-3 and excels because he is smart and has enough physical talent to make his talent work for him.

Sounds like the same things people used to say about Sam Mills and Zach Thomas. Million dollar talent doesnt mean anything if he has a 10 cent head. I think Rey will be great in the NFL but if he cannot absorb the schemes he will not come close to matching Lofa for production. Lofa is not a product of the system either, he is great because he is smart and would be great in any system because he is smart. He doesn't play in the Tampa-2 which funnels everything to the Will or the Pittsburgh 3-4 which is designed for the OLBs to make plays, he plays the Mike in a standard 4-3 and excels because he is smart and has enough physical talent to make his talent work for him.
:IBTL: See also, Lavar Arrington. I'll take a smart, disciplined, hard working but modestly talented LB over an uber-athlete who isn't disciplined every day of the week. The top of the IDP LB rankings is filled with far more guys like that (Fletcher, Tatupu, Pierce, etc.) than it is with guys who have huge combine numbers but who don't learn and play within their schemes.

Users who are viewing this thread