What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Richard Sherman Thread *** 2.0 - now with less tool (1 Viewer)

Hooper31

Footballguy
Sherman has made himself look like an ####### a few times, but he's likely not the guy you might think he is.

He's nowhere near the "thug" that some might imagine. He's much more of the intellectual Stanford graduate that has gone out of his way to draw some attention to himself. I tend to believe this is intentional in some ways, and perhaps coincidental in others.

Is he the "best CB in the league"? I have a hard time with this. I think he's potentially the best in some smaller skills, but certainly not the best in some others. He consistently demonstrates great bump and run coverage. His hand play at the line of scrimmage is excellent when he gets to use it. I say "gets to" because Seattle doesn't always play man coverage on the outside. They play a lot of zone as well. His ball skills are among the best. That's likely a direct result of having been a WR until two years into his college career. When the ball is in the air his mentality is "its mine". He's particularly adept at tracking deep balls. Combined with his height he's very tough to beat over the top.

With regard to Sherman the #######, he's drawn some criticism for a several incidents.

1. U made bro? pic of him letting Tom Brady have it after a Seattle win. At halftime Brady and Sherman exchanged pleasantries. Brady told him to check the scoreboard and that they would talk after the game when NE won. Sherman made sure they spoke. Brady was less than thrilled.

2. Sherman tears into Skip Bayless. Sherman drops the "I'm better at life than you" on Bayless. IMO Sherman said what every other human would like to say to Bayless. My favorite part was when he called Bayless a cretin and ignorant. That said, it was a mistake to get in the mud with that pig. Nearly impossible to walk away without mud all over you as well.

3. Sherman gets into war of words with Roddy White. Sherman has little regard for White and has taken the time to make sure the world knows it. Last year White commented that Sherman wasn't worthy of being mentioned along with the best CBs in the NFL. Sherman replied in kind about White and it hasn't ended since. It culminated in the early parts of last year's playoff game when Sherman let the world know ATL was crazy for targeting White by circling his finger beside his head. White ended up scoring a long TD over Sherman when he fell down. My perception on this situation is that Sherman views White as a punk and really dislikes his image. However, Sherman also goes out of his way to praise players on other teams. He speaks glowingly of players like Larry Fitzgerald. White is listed as questionable for the game this coming week. Part of me just hopes White doesn't pay so its not a distraction. When asked this wee about the challenge of facing White this weekend Sherman responded with "What challenge?"

4. Harbaugh handshake snub. Earlier this year Seattle put a crushing on the 49ers. After the game Sherman ran up behind Harbaugh and patted him on the backside before quickly turning and heading the other direction. Harbaugh turned his head to see Sherman headed the other direction. When asked about it after the game Sherman commented that Harbaugh snubbed him. IMO Sherman was in the wrong on this one.

Sherman at his core is a choir boy. He's very into his charitable work and takes his role as a public figure in the Seattle community seriously. He put together a softball event last year in Cheney stadium. Locals in the sell out crowd raved. Sherman is working hard to build a specific image in the community. He and the other members of the Legion of Boom are regularly contributing backpacks full of school supplies to local schools. I understand that some of this is PR, but they're not just donating money. They're taking the time to show up. I think part of this is the influence of Russell Wilson. Wilson spends every Tuesday at the local children's hospital with his wife. Its rubbing off.

Love him or hate him, there's a few things I think that are undeniable. He works hard at his craft and will be around in the spotlight for awhile. He has a tendency to let lose with his mouth too often. He wants to be recognized for his play on the field. That "need to be appreciated" probably means he's going to go off on someone again when he feels disrespected. Time will tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Hooper, I had not seen much of Sherman off the field, new fan after the Skip Bayless dress down.
Ha ha...yeah, the Skip Bayless thing is amazing. I just wonder what Bayless had said to instigate it. It doesn't seem like Sherman is just doing it to be rude...it seems like he's responding to a previous slight or attack.

Sherman is a really good corner, a really good guy, sharp as a tack, and completely unafraid to be really obnoxious. Since he's obnoxious, people start calling him things like "thug" because they're apparently not very good with adjectives.

I totally get why he rubs people the wrong way. So does he, I'd imagine. But it doesn't change the fact that he's good, smart, and a good guy who's pretty involved in local charity.

Earl Thomas is one of the best players in football at any position. I got to chat at length with his backup during the offseason, and Maragos couldn't have praised him higher. Said he was just otherworldly.

Seattle cornerback Richard Sherman doesn’t think much of Atlanta receiver Roddy White, but Sherman has the utmost respect for Falcons tight end Tony Gonzalez, who will end his legendary NFL career at the end of the season. Sherman asked for Gonzalez's jersey after the game, so they swapped shirts. “He's a [future] Hall of Famer and he's been a great player in the league for a long time," Sherman said of Gonzalez. "You always respect great players. You respect the game in that sense. It's an honor to play against him." Gonzalez chuckled about the jersey exchange: "That's what happens when you’re an old guy and they know it's your last run. I'm glad I got [sherman's jersey]. He's on his way. He's such a good player.”

Full Disclosure I'm a life long 49er fan:

I am no fan of Skip Bayless. He's one of the most ignorant journalists out there. That said, I saw the entrie clip and all Skip did was ask Sherman why he said he was better than Revis. IMO Sherman came across looking like a fool. Skip didn't ask the question in a rude way and I thought actually maintained some semblance of professionalism. Sherman? "I'm better at life than you." Really? Who says that? He sounds like a 16 year old high school kid.

Stanford community thoughts? They all think he's a huge punk. I've never heard someone say he's a thug. He grew up in Compton, but went to Stanford. He's a smart guy, but he has a huge ego and guess what? He wasn't that good at Stanford. He got picked on in college. Guys would throw at him. He's improved dramatically and I would agree that he's the best CB in the NFL.

He's just a punk though. He starts things with everybody it seems. He's the instigator. He shows zero class or sportsmanship. Act like you've been there Richard. Oh wait, you never have, nor has your franchise. Got it. U mad bro?

Stanford community thoughts? They all think he's a huge punk.
Curious to know who "they" are that speak for the Stanford community.
Fair enough. The handful of ex-Stanford football players I've spoken to. Very anecdotal.

Also, I love how he always mentions that he's a Stanford graduate (not alone there, that's for sure). Running joke is you can always tell when someone went to Stanford becasue they tell you within 5 minutes of meeting them. Anyway, I'm sure he got into Stanford on academic merit alone and excelled in all his classes...

According to a local football blogger (so take this with a grain of salt) Sherman dropped into coverage on 36 plays. Ryan threw at him zero times.

A shutdown corner may not completely exist anymore, but it did yesterday.

The Browner injury may change things a bit. I wonder if they would consider flopping Sherman and Thurmond? The real question here is do they trust Thurmond to play more press coverage and jam at the line of scrimmage as Browner was forced to do being in front of the split end. Sherman is lining up against the flanker and generally doesn't get to press as often. Sherman's man gets to be off the line more often and even go in motion because he's more likely to be lined up on the side of the tight end. Just speculation and thinking out loud here.

This thread is awful. The other one is much better. I am however flattered by the copycat nature of this thread.
Its just a matter of perspective and priority.

If you like to entertain yourself by trying to piss people off the other thread is much better. That wasn't for me, so I started a new one. To each their own. I can't deny there's a time and place for both. The FBG message boards can serve multiple purposes. It doesn't all have to be chest pounding and hyperbole. There are some people that would rather spend a few minutes reflecting on some analysis of what's going on in the NFL. If one style of message board behavior is more popular with the masses I'm okay with that. Are you?

This thread is awful. The other one is much better. I am however flattered by the copycat nature of this thread.
If I buy you a beer will you calm down and act like a normal person here?
Sure thing ninja.
I'll try to be normal if you make it an Epic Ale. I've been wanting to hit that place up since they opened. PS- that stat from the Atlanta game is impressive, though they are very short handed at WR. Still think Sherman and Revis are 1 and 1A, with Alterraun Verner closing on the rest of the field.

Sherman's antics are indeed successful in drawing attention to himself (some would say the mark of a true dbag). The fact that we now have 2 threads dedicated to a cornerback on a FF forum is absurd. They might as well give him a 15 sec smack segment before each game like those old pre-match WWF trash talking clips.

Richard Sherman on what he would do as NFL commissioner

It’s a difficult job, I’m sure, working for the owners while looking out for the welfare of the players. It always seems like a happy balance is being struck in late April, when a parade of draftees crosses the stage at Radio City Music Hall, each one giving Roger Goodell a handshake and a hug after his name is called. But for the rest of the year it’s clear that the interests of the 1,700 players pale in importance to those of the 32 owners.

But I, Commissioner Sherman, am here to fix that, so let’s get started.

http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2013/11/13/tonight-on-nfl-turning-point-richard-sherman-interview-sneak-peak/

This is a fantastic piece in "NFL Turning Point" on Richard Sherman. Also, here's a quick quote from the producer and editor of the piece:

Interviewing Richard Sherman was one of the coolest experiences I’ve had in my 10 years at NFL Films. The knowledge he dropped on me in our hour-long film session blew my mind. The guy is a genius. He is also an incredibly polished interview – spoke eloquently, finished thoughts, and made compelling football points. The end product shows off a Sherman few have seen – the football nerd.

"I don't want to be an island. I want to be a tourist attraction. You come, I take your money and you go."

Sherman mic'd up for the Vikings game.

http://ll.video.nfl.com/films/s2013/nflcom/w11/131120_nfln_sfx_richard_sherman_700k.mp4

My favorite parts were him predicting the Thurmond INT, Lynch discussing his bye week plans, and Lynch/Sherman razzing each other about bad plays they made in the game.

He also gets under the skin of Joe Webb pretty seriously and does his best to make more non-Seahawks fans hate him. He's an interesting character.
:lmao: The part with Lynch and Sherm talking smack to each other was great. Sherm: remember that play when #24 ran the ball and then he fumbled. Lynch: And then he went and got 3 TDs.

biju said:

http://ll.video.nfl.com/films/s2013/nflcom/w11/131120_nfln_sfx_richard_sherman_700k.mp4

My favorite parts were him predicting the Thurmond INT, Lynch discussing his bye week plans, and Lynch/Sherman razzing each other about bad plays they made in the game.

He also gets under the skin of Joe Webb pretty seriously and does his best to make more non-Seahawks fans hate him. He's an interesting character.
I'm willing to bet he gets under some of his teammate's skin as well - guys like Russell Wilson and Earl Thomas - guys who go out and perform at a high level and don't scream 'look at me' when they're doing their job. Not saying he's a bad guy and not saying I am not entertained by his personality as a fan - but as a teammate these kinds of guys rubbed me the wrong way. I like the guy, hate the persona he's created.

biju said:

I'm willing to bet he gets under some of his teammate's skin as well - guys like Russell Wilson and Earl Thomas - guys who go out and perform at a high level and don't scream 'look at me' when they're doing their job. Not saying he's a bad guy and not saying I am not entertained by his personality as a fan - but as a teammate these kinds of guys rubbed me the wrong way. I like the guy, hate the persona he's created.
I don't mean this snarkily the way I would to other posters, but you must not have watched any games this year. Earl Thomas USED to be that way. This season he high steps and prances across the field and poses after just about every tackle or defended pass. He flipped 180 from his first few years of quiet excellence.

biju said:

I don't mean this snarkily the way I would to other posters, but you must not have watched any games this year. Earl Thomas USED to be that way. This season he high steps and prances across the field and poses after just about every tackle or defended pass. He flipped 180 from his first few years of quiet excellence.
Well I have in fact watched most of each game but maybe I just haven't noticed that about Thomas this year. To be honest, I usually don't notice Sherman's antics during the game either - it's just the mic'd up segments that he seems to be very popular with now - presumably because he puts on a show and feeds the media what they want.

biju said:

Not sure if this is actually a serious post...

biju said:

The DB room is really tight. Those guys love each other. Source: A guy in the room.

My favorite part is the complete silence when Jarius Wright burns him deep.

how do the seachickens game plan for Jimmy Graham this coming week?
The word from the Hawks fans is that it will be Chancellor.

I think I'm ok with that (which I'm sure will get a reaction).

I don't know enough, admittedly, about the Seahawk def backfield, but he seems too big and maybe too slow to handle Graham.

I don't think Graham looks particularly limited on the field anymore, though I know his snaps were still somewhat low vs SF & ATL.

I would have said Sherman, but we shall see.

Users who are viewing this thread