What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Richardson Trade Poll: Which team got the better end of the deal? (1 Viewer)

Which team got the better end of the Richardson trade?

• Colts

Votes: 478 70.1%
  • Browns

Votes: 204 29.9%

• Total voters

Jewell

Footballguy
I'm seeing mixed feelings on who people think got the better end of the Trent Richardson trade to the Colts. I was curious to see the percent breakdown so please vote.

Trade:

Colts get Trent Richardson from the Browns.

Browns get the Colts 2014 first round pick.

Not a fan of Richardson. I know I'm in the minority but I already posted my thoughts on this in the other thread.

He'll do well from a fantasy perspective now cause he'll never see an 8 or 9 man front in Indy.....but from a real life fantasy perspective I'm of the opinion he's overrated as hell.

Go back and rewatch last weeks game against the Fins. I'm a fins fan mind you....that kid had holes to run through (and against a good Fins front 7) and left a ton of yards on the field. I've never understood the hype on him.

Impossible to tell yet.
The trade is already good for the Colts - they needed a RB and got one of the best ones in the league for what they hope will be a late 1st.

Here's what needs to happen for the trade to be good for the Browns:

- end up with the #1 pick

- Bridgewater to turn out to be a good QB

- them to pick a good player with the Colts #1

I understand why the Browns did the deal, by this is a big get for the Colts. Richardson may not be worth the 3rd pick in the draft now that we have seen him in action, but he's still likely a mid to late first rounder and the Colts are looking to contend now.

Not a fan of Richardson. I know I'm in the minority but I already posted my thoughts on this in the other thread.

He'll do well from a fantasy perspective now cause he'll never see an 8 or 9 man front in Indy.....but from a real life fantasy perspective I'm of the opinion he's overrated as hell.

Go back and rewatch last weeks game against the Fins. I'm a fins fan mind you....that kid had holes to run through (and against a good Fins front 7) and left a ton of yards on the field. I've never understood the hype on him.
Doing so now...

I like him more than you but I totally agree with the questioning of why anyone picks RB's in the top 10 (or the 1st round for that matter) unless you're pretty sure they're Peterson.

I know this is a fantasy forum but I'm kinda surprised/sad this isn't a consensus.

Maybe it'd be different if there weren't such a built-in bias about each franchise? The Colts were lucky enough to finish last in the two best seasons to finish last of the last 20 years so they must be smart I guess.

it'll be a few years until we can definitely tell one way or another..

if t-rich helps lead the colts to a super bowl this year.. then maybe we say faster that the colts won the deal.

but if the colts tank and its a pick in the teens and the browns turn it into a clowney and maroita maybe it leads to future success for the browns.

Its really going to depend on what the Browns do with that extra first round pick.

the Browns now have the 2 1st rounders, 1 2nd rounder and 3 3rds... thats enough picks in there that they could see a quick turn around from this trade starting next year.

I like him more than you but I totally agree with the questioning of why anyone picks RB's in the top 10 (or the 1st round for that matter) unless you're pretty sure they're Peterson.

I know this is a fantasy forum but I'm kinda surprised/sad this isn't a consensus.

Maybe it'd be different if there weren't such a built-in bias about each franchise? The Colts were lucky enough to finish last in the two best seasons to finish last of the last 20 years so they must be smart I guess.
agree 100%, and although I love Petersen I could see skipping him in the top 10 also

Ok. Past, present, obviously disaster for Browns. You trade a guy you invested time and money in for a lower pick than he cost you.

But... we dont live in the past and the Browns are going nowhere in the present. So, much like a card game, if you can throw away a hand you think is losing for future opportunity, thats a small victory. It doesnt matter what you already have in the pot, thats spent money. Is it the best move NOW to maximize your value.

Obviously, we dont know and wont for a while, but its either a panic move, or a ballsy, hardcore move. Remains to be seen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doing so now...
Ok, watched it and here's what I saw:

- a bunch of good runs and catches where he broke tackles for 5-10 yard gains

- a bunch of runs where he had no blocking

- a couple of plays where he had holes but either cut back the wrong way or didn't cut back decisively enough

Gandalf said:
This poll should be 100% Colts.
Disagree 100%

Rb's aren't worth a first round pick. They have zero shelf life and you can find good ones on the cheap and late. I understand AP is the exception to the rule but that's just it...he's the exception to the rule.

Anytime you can get a first round pick in return for a running back, you've won the trade. When that running back already has a year or more of service? It's highway robbery.

And I'm already on the record as to my opinion of Richardson as a player....overrated as all hell. It doesn't mean he won't put up good fantasy numbers but if we're having this conversation from a REAL LIFE perspective, the Browns won the trade.

I'm a fins fan before anyone goes thinking I have some sort of bias against either the Colts or the Browns. My honest opinion.

Don't like the trade for the Colts, but it does make some sense.

It makes all kinds of sense for the Browns though.

I mentioned some of the reasons in the other thread. I'm in the vast minority, and nobody wants to hear it. I'll leave it there.

Richardson's cap hit will only average $3.3M a year.

mbuehner said:
Ok. Past, present, obviously disaster for Browns. You trade a guy you invested time and money in for a lower pick than he cost you.

But... we dont live in the past and the Browns are going nowhere in the present. So, much like a card game, if you can throw away a hand you think is losing for future opportunity, thats a small victory. It doesnt matter what you already have in the pot, thats spent money. Is it the best move NOW to maximize your value.

Obviously, we dont know and wont for a while, but its either a panic move, or a ballsy, hardcore move. Remains to be seen.
If you want to use a poker analogy, you don't have to see the river card to figure out if your bet on the turn was a good move. In fact, the river card is completely irrelevant.

So, we don't need to see who the Browns take with the first round pick and how well he does to evaluate whether it's a good trade or not. The question is whether the value that a solid young RB would deliver over his career with the team is greater than the value of a mid-first-round pick.

And I think the answer is, yes. Half of first round picks are outright busts, and probably half of the remainder aren't as good as Richardson.

Don't like the trade for the Colts, but it does make some sense.

It makes all kinds of sense for the Browns though.

I mentioned some of the reasons in the other thread. I'm in the vast minority, and nobody wants to hear it. I'll leave it there.
I like it for Clev even though Richardson was their best offensive player. People who keep bringing up that Richardson was the 3 pick a couple of years ago don't get it. That means nothing to the state of Clev right now, today. Clearly they feel they are in rebuilding mode and Richardson is a luxury they can't afford. I'd agree with that. Richardson isn't carrying that team to a winning season. A franchise QB may in the future. This trade gives Clev ammunition to move up to 1 overall if they don't "earn" it on their own. If they do land a top pick then they can get a franchise QB and a high WR to other difference maker with greater I pact than RB in the NFL.

Hate the trade for the Colts. TR's injury history scares me, don't like the indy online or Def and rbs are becoming one of the least important positions in the NFL.

Major win for the Browns.

I think this was definitely a good move for the Colts, and it could be for the Browns as well but that remains to be seen.

Richardson is 22 years old, and on a cheap contract for a few years longer. The glaring skill position need for Indy was RB, and I think this move will overall benefit their franchise player, Luck, as well. Sure, Colts could use help on the OL and numerous spots on defense, but this move helps their franchise player greatly in the end, moreso than probably anything besides Top 10 type LT for Luck.

It will be interesting to see if the Browns keep both 1's or trade up for Bridgewater or something. Their own 1st rounder should be top 10 as it is.

The Colts, if for only one reason - for it to be Cleveland you are assuming they make a WISE choice with the draft pick :yes:

It was good for both teams.

Browns got a good draft pick draft pick - Colts filled a very big hole on an otherwise playoff caliber team.

TR is a GL and everydown back - and Bradshaw is a fantastic match to that. LOTS of options on offense and injury protection for either guy as well. If either back gets hurt - which is now less likely as they can be used more effectively - the other can at least step in and passably do the job. So now they can look for VALUE at the RB position next draft or after. TRich might not be AP - but he looks like a good solid RB. I am PRETTY DAMN SURE Pittsburgh would LOVE TR right about now.

Browns? IDK - rebuild again? That's a hard pill to swallow but......

mbuehner said:

If you want to use a poker analogy, you don't have to see the river card to figure out if your bet on the turn was a good move. In fact, the river card is completely irrelevant.

So, we don't need to see who the Browns take with the first round pick and how well he does to evaluate whether it's a good trade or not. The question is whether the value that a solid young RB would deliver over his career with the team is greater than the value of a mid-first-round pick.

And I think the answer is, yes. Half of first round picks are outright busts, and probably half of the remainder aren't as good as Richardson.
True, but the poker analogy only goes so far because the pick is something the Browns have some control over.

As far as 1st round picks... truish, if you were entirely right more teams would be picking RBs in the 1st round. The 'problem' is you can get a quality RB later in the draft or off the street. Otoh, you may only have a 50% or lower shot at a 1st round pick paying off, but if its a tackle, or a cb, or a qb that pans out, it could be almost priceless. Nobody is trading a young successful stud at a more diffucult position to fill for any amount of draft picks.

I honestly think its a win-win. Browns could use that 1st to spend at another position(whch they should have done instead of drafting him in the first place). Colts get a stud RB which they really need, T-Rich will benefit big time from going from Weeden/Gordon/Cameron to Luck/Wayne/Hilton. I'm not high on the Colts coaching staff or O-line so I don't suddenly expect T-Rich to suddenly explode, but he'll be much better than the Ballard/Bradshaw/Brown combo they were using this year and last year.

the people hating on trent in here is funny. so jason lacafora who is old buddies with lombardi tries to support the trade with a bunch of unnamed sources. please.

trent did wonders last year on a horrible browns team. he will do well in indy with a good qb and actual nfl caliber wrs.

pagano got his bellcow back. a mid to late first round pick that will be spent on a wr, have fun with that cleveland as you continue to rebuild for the last decade.

There is no win win option.

If I have to pick one, and only one. Cleveland.
If Richardson were in next year's draft and Indy was able to draft him with their 1st and only give him a 3 year/$10M contract with no guaranteed money, do you think they should? That's what this trade boils down except they are getting him a year earlier.

Doing so now...
Ok, watched it and here's what I saw:

- a bunch of good runs and catches where he broke tackles for 5-10 yard gains

- a bunch of runs where he had no blocking

- a couple of plays where he had holes but either cut back the wrong way or didn't cut back decisively enough
Richardson's biggest plays Sunday - (in yards) - 9,5,5,7,7,9. I would hardly call that a "bunch" of plays for 5-10 yards, considering he didn't gain 10 yards on even one touch, and 33% of those plays went for exactly 5 yards. The lack of long gains Richardson has had in his career so far is frighteningly low. Even a bad offensive line occasionally blows open a hole that an explosive running back is able to take advantage of. I live in SEC country and watch a lot of SEC football. Richardson played half his games during his final season at Bama with a massive advantage in OL vs DL. He had NFL guys blocking guys that Bama didn't even look at coming out of high school. He's a bust.

If last year the Colts had the 1st and 3rd picks and got Luck and TR, I think most would say "amazing" job especially considering they only had to give up a 2014 1st rounder.

Now, the Colts could still use a Guard or 2.

Anyone minimizing TR and comparing him to "someone you could get off the street" is being silly.

His 3.5 YPC is likely 2.5 for a FA off the street on that Browns team!

if t-rich helps lead the colts to a super bowl this year.. then maybe we say faster that the colts won the deal.

but if the colts tank and its a pick in the teens and the browns turn it into a clowney and maroita maybe it leads to future success for the browns.

Its really going to depend on what the Browns do with that extra first round pick.

the Browns now have the 2 1st rounders, 1 2nd rounder and 3 3rds... thats enough picks in there that they could see a quick turn around from this trade starting next year.
The hilarious thing is we already have one of the youngest rosters in the league. Weeden, Gordon, Little, Richardson... these were supposed to be the guys to turn it around!!!

Impossible to tell yet.
The trade is already good for the Colts - they needed a RB and got one of the best ones in the league for what they hope will be a late 1st.

Here's what needs to happen for the trade to be good for the Browns:

- end up with the #1 pick

- Bridgewater to turn out to be a good QB

- them to pick a good player with the Colts #1
LMAO. Sure man, I bet Adrian Peterson loses sleep at night thinking Richardson is coming for him. What exactly has Richardson done in the NFL, I don't want to hear about college. He's averaged 3.5 YPC. That's a joke. Say whatever you want about his O-line and QB but look at what Peterson has been doing with Christian Ponder at QB. Everybody knows Peterson is getting the rock and all he does is put up 2,000+ yards on 6 YPC. At least Weeden has a strong enough arm to take a shot down the field, with Ponder's noodle arm 20+ yards is a bomb. College is not the NFL, even if you played for Alabama. In other news: Mark Ingram also sucks.

the people hating on trent in here is funny. so jason lacafora who is old buddies with lombardi tries to support the trade with a bunch of unnamed sources. please.
The CBS reporter in an effort to save face for his buddy makes up sources/quotes. Because everyone who liked the Indy side is going to hate it after reading that; and obviously the Texans & Steelers GMs would totally say that stuff on the record without anonymity.

But yes the people "hating on Tent" are a hoot.

The Browns basically get a redo for spending a top 10 pick on a running back. They have no chance of competing current and by the time they get the pieces together Richardson will likely either be done or moved onto a new team. Yes, he was their best offensive weapon. That didn't translate to wins, nor is Richardson good enough to build your team around and you're desperately struggling to get any relevant quarterback on the field (let alone a franchise one). All he can do for you is help your poop offense win a handful of games and if you're Cleveland you don't want to do that. Bottom out, get a QB, try again.

Those sunk costs hurt, but that's not the current FO's doing. And even if it was, just suck it up and realize you made a mistake and move on. This smells like "smart but unpopular move," not "franchise that's making random moves in the hopes of getting better."

I was shocked they managed a 1st rounder out of this deal. Ask yourself, how many running backs not named Adrian Peterson are worth 1st rounders?

Also, the 1st that they're getting from the Colts is likely going to be higher than last year's. Indianapolis's expected record was around 7 wins, but they ran insanely hot and varianced into an extra 4 wins. They should be regressing to the mean, and even if Mike Lombardi doesn't know that, Alec Scheiner definitely does.

Of course this all assumes the new FO is better than the old one.

If last year the Colts had the 1st and 3rd picks and got Luck and TR, I think most would say "amazing" job especially considering they only had to give up a 2014 1st rounder.

Now, the Colts could still use a Guard or 2.

Anyone minimizing TR and comparing him to "someone you could get off the street" is being silly.

His 3.5 YPC is likely 2.5 for a FA off the street on that Browns team!
False. Just because Richardson was the #3 pick in a draft 2 years ago doesn't make him good. He's an average NFL running back, plain and simple. Giving up a first rounder for a guy who can be replaced by a similar skill set deep in the draft is silly. Doug Martin was selected 28 picks after T Rich and has had (and will have) a much more productive career. Same think with Alfred Morris 170 picks after T Rich.

You can't call Cleveland the loser in this trade because they gave up the #3 pick 2 years ago for what will likely be a pick in the late teens/early twenties this year. They saw first hand every day what they had with Richardson and decided he wasn't worth a first rounder next year. They were right.

If Richardson were in next year's draft and Indy was able to draft him with their 1st and only give him a 3 year/$10M contract with no guaranteed money, do you think they should? That's what this trade boils down except they are getting him a year earlier.
exactly why I said win win. If browns come away with a franchise qb like they plan to that is more important.

exactly why I said win win. If browns come away with a franchise qb like they plan to that is more important.
If Bridgewater is the next Cam/Kaepernick/RGIII then obviously it works out. Huge risk though.

I just think had they lost normally they might not have got Bridgewater but they would have been able to get another highly talented QB and kept Richardson.

If Bridgewater is the next Cam/Kaepernick/RGIII then obviously it works out. Huge risk though.

I just think had they lost normally they might not have got Bridgewater but they would have been able to get another highly talented QB and kept Richardson.
still could happen. Then add a wr with Richardson pick. Add Richardson replacement later in draft. Get Dion Lewis back.

Um...virtually every person who watched that game suggested otherwise. He broke a ton of tackles and the D was all over him. Plus he barely got the ball.

Um...virtually every person who watched that game suggested otherwise. He broke a ton of tackles and the D was all over him. Plus he barely got the ball.
He had 23 touches. What constitutes not "barely getting the ball?" 40 touches?

I think it's a lose/lose for both teams long-term.

If I were the Colts GM, I would quit after being overriden on such a risky and unnecessary maneuver.

When was the last time, in the salary cap era, that a huge trade like this panned out well? It doesn't, because draft picks are gold (and should be treated as such). The Colts traded away a 1st, 4th, and 7th ... ammunition they could have used to get virtually any player outside of the top 15 in next year's draft, whom would have had 4 years of a controlled contract.

You don't build championship teams with moves like this ... look at the Super Bowl champions of the past decade. How many of them had a big free agent signing that ended up as a core member of the winning the big game? I can't find a single one. The Packers, Patriots, Giants, Ravens, and Steelers are all built through draft and develop. None of those teams ever give much in draft picks for players. And when they do? How has Amendola turned out?

For the Browns... I've never seen a clearer case of throwing in the towel on a season. This is awful for their fan base and could have lasting repercussions. I would be demanding a refund of my season tickets if I was a Cleveland fan. Winning does solve everything, so if they get the right QB then it will turn it around quickly.

Another note that I can't seem to get past, is that Rod Chuzziniznznik (whatever his name is) has made comments about Richardson not fitting his scheme. For f*cking real? That's just bad coaching. Great coaches, the Belichecks, Coughlins, McCarthys, Capers (and so on) take the talent available and design the best scheme with what they have. They don't pigeon-hole whatever players they come across into the same X's and O's that were successful for them in the past. That's just lazy, and very bad coaching. Hopefully Richardson is a better fit with what Indy is doing, or they use him more wisely.

The trade winner is the Colts, bottom line. They just got a stud rb for the rest of this season. A stud who is only 22-23 yrs old. They now can threaten defenses with the run and the pass.

Trent Richardson gets a lot of flack on these boards from people who don't obviously watch his games but read box scores. He looked phenomenal at the beginning of last season. Then he played with broken ribs all year on a team with no passing game where he was the focal point. Then this year he has played two games and received about 30 carries for a team that truly stinks on offense, a qb that has played awful and that was without the only legit wr they had.

So there is no reason to think Any differently of Trent now than when he was drafted. The injury concerns are hilarious, considering he played through a broken rib for most of a season.

The Browns-- what a disaster. Now they truly have nothing on offense. But even with that being the case, they are still better than the Jags and are assured if nothing in terms of their draft pick. By telegraphing their intention this early, thy are disenfranchising their entire fan base and all the veteran players on the team. Good luck getting morale and buy-in from the team now!

The new coach now has to deal with an even worse team, which will make his job harder and his record look worse, which will bring the best down on him even further.

The fans are the ones that are really screwed. I can't imagine this helps the young and teenage fan base. I can't imagine this is good for all the tens of thousands of fans tha dropped 80 bucks ok Trent jerseys. Are they going to provide refunds? Doubt it.

The best case scenario is that Cleveland sucks this year and gets the first pick and gets a stud qb. Of course if that's the case what do you need the Colts pick for?

And if the jags get the first pick, good luck getting that from them. So then what? You trade Trent so you can later draft a rookie wr or some cb that may or may not suck?

Basically you infuriate an entire fan base so that you MIGHT get better in a future draft.

It's going to be painful to watch Cleveland now. They will be he laughing stock of the league, which is a shame because they have great fans.

It better work out because if it doesn't and if Trent and Luck form some kind of Aikman/Emmitt combo for the next 5-7 years, This GM and coaching staff will never live it down.

The hilarious thing is we already have one of the youngest rosters in the league. Weeden, Gordon, Little, Richardson... these were supposed to be the guys to turn it around!!!
Weeden is probably older or within 1-2 years of age of 2/3rds of the starting QBs in the NFL. This screams theyre going QB in the draft next year.

Users who are viewing this thread