What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rick Perry indicted for 2 felonies (3 Viewers)

Perry's defense seems unbelievably simple to me:

He didn't believe that the woman was capable of leading that department and that her poor judgement and leadership compromised the entire department, in order to protect the taxpayers of Texas, he had a duty to use his powers to prevent a waste of taxpayer money and cut out a department that he believed was no longer able to function in the manner it was designed to.

I'm not saying that that was, or was not, his actual motivation, but I don't think there is any evidence against that. Viewed under that light, I can't see how this prosecution is even a little bit proper.

Just from a rational standpoint, ignoring any possible hidden motivations that we would just be guessing at, it would seem that Perry was the one person that used what tools he had to remove someone from their position that quite obviously didn't belong there. A DUI for someone with her position was bad enough, but her behavior afterwards goes beyond the pale. She was absolutely wrong to not resign. Her superiors were then absolutely wrong to not fire her from her position. Perry gave her an opportunity to do the right thing and resign and she refused once again. So he did what he had to do to get rid of someone that wasn't fit to do their job.

I'm sure that my political bias is informing this next thought, but I feel like if a Perry was a Democrat and the woman was a Republican, that Perry would be being portrayed in the media as a hero for getting rid of a vile and incompetent Republican, while the press screamed about the partisan witch hunt against him.
Another :goodposting:

This is nothing other than a witch hunt by the Democrats.

I love it that nobody can even come to a consensus on whether the republicans or democrats were behind this.

From the Associate Press

Five THings to Know about the Perry Indictment

THE PUBLIC INTEGRITY UNIT

The indictments stem from Perry’s veto last year of $7.5 million in funding for the unit responsible for investigating public corruption in Texas. The Public Integrity Unit is part of the Travis County district attorney’s office, which is headed by a Democrat, District Attorney Rosemary Lehmberg.

Lehmberg was arrested in 2013 for drunken driving. Perry insisted she resign because she had lost the public’s confidence. When she refused, Perry made good on a threat to cut off the only funding to her office that was within his power to veto: funding for the ethics unit.

The veto forced the unit to lose about a third of its staff. But county government officials made up some of the difference to keep the office running.

___

THE CANCER-FIGHTING AGENCY

Perry’s veto came as the ethics unit was investigating alleged corruption involving one of the governor’s key projects, a $3 billion taxpayer-supported effort to find a cure for cancer.
The Cancer Prevention and Research Institute of Texas, known as CPRIT, quickly unraveled following revelations that some lucrative contracts were awarded without proper scrutiny and oversight. The biggest was an $11 million award to Dallas-based Peloton Therapeutics, which is backed by Perry donors.
The agency’s top three officials resigned in 2012, and one was later indicted on felony corruption charges. On Thursday, Perry’s lawyers produced an affidavit from a former Public Integrity Unit investigator, Chris Walling, who stated that neither Perry nor anyone in the governor’s office was a target of that investigation.

___

PAST INDICTMENTS

Austin is a liberal bastion in an otherwise fiercely conservative Texas, which gives Democrats a big edge for the elected office of Travis County district attorney. That has long fueled accusations among Republicans that the ethics unit within the DA’s office has a vendetta against conservatives.

Republicans have certainly been the biggest names ensnared by the unit: former U.S. Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison, former U.S. House Majority Leader Tom DeLay and now Perry. Hutchison was acquitted and DeLay was convicted, though he later won on appeal.

But Democrats have also run afoul of the unit: In 2010, a popular Democratic state lawmaker was convicted on charges of records tampering and perjury.

___

IT’S ALL POLITICS?

Perry has rebuked the indictment as grandstanding politics, saying “we don’t settle political differences with indictments in this country.” He said his detractors are trying to do in court what they could never do at the ballot box in his record 14 years as Texas governor.

But the case against Perry wouldn’t have reached a grand jury had it not been for Republican Judge Bert Richardson, who assigned a special prosecutor, Michael McCrum, to investigate the original complaint filed by a left-leaning group. It’s McCrum — and not Lehmberg or anyone in Travis County — who is pursuing the case against Perry. McCrum has refused to discuss specifics of the case but insists that it’s stronger than might outwardly appear.
McCrum hasn’t discussed his political affiliations, though he garnered support from both Republicans and Democrats when he was nominated for a U.S. attorney post in 2009.

___

THE EVIDENCE

What evidence investigators have against Perry remains the big question. McCrum interviewed more than 40 witnesses and called several top Perry aides to testify before the grand jury. Perry did not appear.

Perry’s attorneys said Thursday that McCrum has yet to turn over evidence he presented to the grand jury. Neither McCrum nor grand jurors have disclosed what was presented behind closed doors. But four grand jurors, in interviews with The Houston Chronicle this week, defended their decision to indict and denied politics played any role.

Most legal experts say proving that Perry broke the law by invoking his right to veto will be difficult. No one disputes that Perry has the right to exercise vetoes, but the issue is whether his public threat to do so beforehand constituted coercion by trying to force a public official to step down.

If convicted on the two felony charges, Perry could face a maximum 109 years in prison.

___

Associated Press writer Will Weissert contributed to this report.

___

I love it that nobody can even come to a consensus on whether the republicans or democrats were behind this.
Democrats definitely behind it, but it would have never progressed without Repub. Judge assigning a Special Prosecutor

cosjobs said:
culdeus said:
Democrats definitely behind it, but it would have never progressed without Repub. Judge assigning a Special Prosecutor
He had to assign a special prosecutor. There was a complaint made. And when the governor of the state is the one who's accused of wrongdoing you don't just give the case to a local DA's office. You want someone outside the normal structure.

cosjobs said:
culdeus said:
He had to assign a special prosecutor. There was a complaint made. And when the governor of the state is the one who's accused of wrongdoing you don't just give the case to a local DA's office. You want someone outside the normal structure.
Which is exactly what those who brought the charges wanted for the CIPRIT investigation- someone outside the normal structure established in perry's 12 years at the helm. By removing the local DA, Perry appoints whomever he wants to assume leadership. He'd no doubt easily find an ally to figure a way to impede or drop the investigation.

Doesn't saying he cut the funding due the cancer investigation basically exonerate him of making his veto dependent on whether or not drunk DA Stumblebum stepped down? You can't have it both ways.

cosjobs said:
culdeus said:
Which is exactly what those who brought the charges wanted for the CIPRIT investigation- someone outside the normal structure established in perry's 12 years at the helm. By removing the local DA, Perry appoints whomever he wants to assume leadership. He'd no doubt easily find an ally to figure a way to impede or drop the investigation.
Do you have a link that supports this?

Perry would appoint drunk DAs replacement. I'm out now and on my cell. I'm sure you can readily find it, I've not dug too deep on any of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
cosjobs said:
culdeus said:
Perry should have had Holder as the state's top guy. That way there would be zero chance of a special prosecutor ever being assigned.

Maurile Tremblay said:
MaxThreshold said:
Your position is that Rick Perry is a witch?
That would explain a lot
Well, the progressives are on a witch hunt, that's for sure. With "witch" being defined as anyone that doesn't buy into their :bs: .
Just stop. Rick Perry is a liberal's wet dream. They love having him around.
Okay, Tim. Since you demanded it I will stop. :thumbup:

Maurile Tremblay said:
MaxThreshold said:
That would explain a lot
Well, the progressives are on a witch hunt, that's for sure. With "witch" being defined as anyone that doesn't buy into their :bs: .
Which witch hunt is that? Funneling $22mm of taxpayer funds to bogus cancer research?

Or the one authorized by the Republican judge.

Maurile Tremblay said:
MaxThreshold said:
That would explain a lot
Which witch hunt is that? Funneling $22mm of taxpayer funds to bogus cancer research?

Is that what he's being indicted for? Stay on point, sherlock.

Whether it was authorized by a Republican or not is irrelevant. That's nothing but a talking point for those who don't have an argument. The progressives are behind this - and it IS a witch hunt. Even the most liberal of people and organizations are calling this indictment horse####.

That would explain a lot
Which witch hunt is that? Funneling $22mm of taxpayer funds to bogus cancer research?Or the one authorized by the Republican judge.

Whether it was authorized by a Republican or not is irrelevant. That's nothing but a talking point for those who don't have an argument. The progressives are behind this - and it IS a witch hunt. Even the most liberal of people and organizations are calling this indictment horse####.
I love how you throw around the word "progressives" as of its a dirty word.

The cancer thing was a horrible boondoggle bit that doesn't mean that this particular indictment isn't a pile of bullplop.

That would explain a lot
Which witch hunt is that? Funneling $22mm of taxpayer funds to bogus cancer research?Or the one authorized by the Republican judge.
What's the standard for whether or not a judge would request a special prosecutor after receiving a formal complaint?

That would explain a lot

You do realize Perry was once a Democrat don't you?

Oh, I forget, it's Max.

Judge refuses to toss Rick Perry charges

A Texas judge on Tuesday declined to toss out abuse of power and coercion charges against Gov. Rick Perry (R-Texas).

Perry’s lawyers had asked Senior District Judge Bert Richardson to dismiss the case because they argued that special prosecutor Michael McCrum had not correctly taken his oath of office.

But Richardson said that any “irregularities” in the oath wouldn’t void his actions, adding that there hadn’t been any complaints over the oath for the 15 months that he’s served, according to the Austin American-Statesman.

The ruling allows the felony case against Perry to move forward.

Users who are viewing this thread