What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RIP Harold Ramis (1 Viewer)

What about Bob? Is me and Mrs. SLB's favorite movie. Actually yesterday she told me to put it in the DVD player and we've seen it dozens of times already. So much of his other stuff is a close second.

The last time I was bummed out when a celebrity died was when I heard John Candy passed away. This bums me out. :(

Animal House, Meatballs, Caddyshack, Stripes, Vacation, Ghostbusters, Back To School, Groundhog Day.

And those are just the classics.

edit: even his "second tier" would make a solid career for most writer/directors: SCTV, Club Paradise (w/Robin Williams), Armed And Dangerous (John Candy & Eugene Levy), Stuart Saves His Family, Multiplicity, Analyze This, Bedazzled, Year One, and The Ice Harvest

Last edited by a moderator:
What about Bob? Is me and Mrs. SLB's favorite movie. Actually yesterday she told me to put it in the DVD player and we've seen it dozens of times already. So much of his other stuff is a close second.

The last time I was bummed out when a celebrity died was when I heard John Candy passed away. This bums me out. :(
That wasn't Ramis, but he still ruled.

That wasn't Ramis, but he still ruled.
I didn't think so either but that's what the announcer said on the radio news. Quick Internetting shows you are correct not that it matters. :(

Groundhog Day is my favorite Ramos movie. Like you and WaB, I've seen it a ton of times. Difficult to imagine how exhausting it must have been to make a movie like that.

Groundhog Day is my favorite Ramos movie. Like you and WaB, I've seen it a ton of times. Difficult to imagine how exhausting it must have been to make a movie like that.
Harold Ramis had a direct hand in inventing a genre of comedy but groundhog was even more of a departure. I think ebert said before his death it was the last original American comedy and I have seen nothing to dispute that. Brilliant movie.

Harold Ramis had a direct hand in inventing a genre of comedy but groundhog was even more of a departure. I think ebert said before his death it was the last original American comedy and I have seen nothing to dispute that. Brilliant movie.
Ramis and Murray were always golden together, no matter what they were involved in. Underrated dynamic comedy duo of all time, IMO.

Acting was actually his weakest link however he still managed to do a lot of good work. His writing and directing are up there on the comic genius list. We all lost a terrific funny man today.

RIP

kentric said:
St. Louis Bob said:

Smack Tripper said:
kentric said:
St. Louis Bob said:

:goodposting: 's

I just watched Groundhog Day with my boys. Is it too early for flapjacks?

kentric said:
St. Louis Bob said:

Smack Tripper said:
kentric said:
St. Louis Bob said:

:goodposting: 's

I just watched Groundhog Day with my boys. Is it too early for flapjacks?
Don't drive angry! Don't drive angry!!!

Just saw him a couple days ago in that Jack Nicholson/Helen Hunt movie. He played a small role as the doctor Jack hired to take care of Hunt's kid so she could get back to work and wait on him. No funny lines, just a solid job.

Quietly one of the greats. I mean pretty much every comedy I wanted to see for a long time was his. Huge loss. My condolences to his family.

Very sad.

There is a documentary on the making of "Caddyshack". It was his first directed film. Total chaos. Drugs everywhere. Chevy's ego, Chevy and Bill Murray absolutely despising each other. A shell-shocked Ted Knight, a coked-up Rodney so inexperienced at filmmaking that he didn't even know what "hit your mark" meant. Over-budget. Lacey refusing to do her nude scene until the scumbag producer threatened to ruin her career.

It seemed that it was mainly Ramis' calmness, intelligence and just all-around good nature that kept the film together. Traits that everyone is applauding today.

Very sad.

There is a documentary on the making of "Caddyshack". It was his first directed film. Total chaos. Drugs everywhere. Chevy's ego, Chevy and Bill Murray absolutely despising each other. A shell-shocked Ted Knight, a coked-up Rodney so inexperienced at filmmaking that he didn't even know what "hit your mark" meant. Over-budget. Lacey refusing to do her nude scene until the scumbag producer threatened to ruin her career.

It seemed that it was mainly Ramis' calmness, intelligence and just all-around good nature that kept the film together. Traits that everyone is applauding today.
Thank you to that producer.

I have read in several articles that Ramis and Bill Murray had a serious falling out, but nothing specific was mentioned.

I know that Ramis, Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson and Rick Moranis all wanted to do a third "Ghostbusters", but it was Murray who refused, and refused without even giving it a consideration.

I have read in several articles that Ramis and Bill Murray had a serious falling out, but nothing specific was mentioned.

I know that Ramis, Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson and Rick Moranis all wanted to do a third "Ghostbusters", but it was Murray who refused, and refused without even giving it a consideration.
I read that during Groundhog Day Murray wanted to get very deep and Ramis wanted it to be the comedy he wrote. He insisted that Bill play it his way though he did let Bill ad lib more than a bit. That seems to have been the catalyst for the feud. Ramis always claimed he couldn't remember what started it and Bill won't comment beyond "we had a falling out".

I read an interview with John Landis and he talked about how Ramis built structure and the story arc into the screenplay of "Animal House". Doug Kenney's (aka Stork) screenplay was mostly just the Deltas sitting around drinking and telling jokes. It was Ramis who came up with the concept of a rival fraternity, and a corrupt university president as the foil. Ramis also held a slight grudge for not being cast as Boon in the movie--Landis thought he was too old.

Usually don't notice much when a Hollywood type goes, but this one stings. Vacation, Caddyshack, and Ghostbusters are probably 3 of my top 5 favorite comedies. Dude even directed several episodes of the Office which is one of my favorite comedy shows ever. The world of big screen comedy will never be the same...

Acting was actually his weakest link however he still managed to do a lot of good work. His writing and directing are up there on the comic genius list. We all lost a terrific funny man today.

RIP
I hear you on his acting. Seemed he always has this look on his face that he is about to start laughing. Always seemed rather one dimensional. His acting sure isn't the reason he'll be missed.

Uh, if you saw Ghostbusters 2, it was probably the right call not to do a 3rd one.

Smack Tripper said:
kentric said:
St. Louis Bob said:

I love the different phases Murray goes through in this movie.

I read that during Groundhog Day Murray wanted to get very deep and Ramis wanted it to be the comedy he wrote. He insisted that Bill play it his way though he did let Bill ad lib more than a bit. That seems to have been the catalyst for the feud. Ramis always claimed he couldn't remember what started it and Bill won't comment beyond "we had a falling out".
I thought Murray's statement yesterday was a little cold - and that's even taking into account that he's a rather odd guy to begin with.

Ramis will definitely be missed. As everyone has said here his resume is amazing.

I thought Murray's statement yesterday was a little cold - and that's even taking into account that he's a rather odd guy to begin with.
Murray doesn't seem to possess a lot of emotional depth. Aloofness has certainly helped his career, but maybe not so much in his personal life.

I was curious to see if Michael O'Keefe would say something, but so far I have read nothing. In past interviews he has never seemed totally on-board with the reverence for "Caddyshack". He seems to think it typecast him, and derailed his dramatic acting career.

Ramis will definitely be missed. As everyone has said here his resume is amazing.
Think the book on Murray is he is the guy from Lost in Translation.

Anyone have the clip of Murray rubbing that old ladies white hair at some golf tourney. So good.

Murray doesn't seem to possess a lot of emotional depth. Aloofness has certainly helped his career, but maybe not so much in his personal life.

I was curious to see if Michael O'Keefe would say something, but so far I have read nothing. In past interviews he has never seemed totally on-board with the reverence for "Caddyshack". He seems to think it typecast him, and derailed his dramatic acting career.
Remember reading a story where his ex-wife basically said he abandoned the family. Wasn't good.

Typecast? Don't see it. He just wasn't good enough looking to play all the parts Tom Hanks got in the 90's. Weird how Groundhog Day was the one movie where it all came together and you could almost see him getting those roles yet that is the the movie that drove a wedge between him and Ramis.

Do think Murray missed out on a window where he could have done some Jack Nicholson movies like As Good As It Gets in the past 10 years. Didn't happen.

Users who are viewing this thread