What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rookie RB's - Where do they stand at this point? (1 Viewer)

enfuego

Footballguy
There have been some good few weeks in the first games for a few players and a couple players have seemingly disappeared.

Slaton - Is there a doubt that Ahman is done? But can Slaton last all year?

Forte - Solid lock on #1.

Chris Johnson - Reports White is hurt only helps his situation.

Hightower-Looks good on short yardage, but will he take over when Edge is done? When will that be?

Rice - where's he been? Faded fast since 64 yards in game 1.

Jones - Making the most of his carries.

Smith - Been displaced by Rudi as starter in Detroit.

Stewart - Not a ton a yds, but 3 game TD streak.

Mendenhall-IR

Anyone else...or comment...

Last edited by a moderator:
There have been some good few weeks in the first games for a few players and a couple players have seemingly disappeared.Slaton - Is there a doubt that Ahman is done? But can Slaton last all year?Forte - Solid lock on #1.Chris Johnson - Reports White is hurt only helps his situation.Hightower-Looks good on short yardage, but will he take over when Edge is done? When will that be?Rice - where's he been? Faded fast since 64 yards in game 1.Jones - Making the most of his carries.Smith - Been displaced by Rudi as starter in Detroit.Stewart - Not a ton a yds, but 3 game TD streak.Mendenhall-IRAnyone else...or comment...
McFadden maybe. :popcorn:

Are you looking for redraft or dynasty rankings?
None of these are ranked...just observations. My thought is there are homers/experts that can add to this thread for an all in one update for rookie RB's.

There have been some good few weeks in the first games for a few players and a couple players have seemingly disappeared.

Slaton - Is there a doubt that Ahman is done? But can Slaton last all year?

Forte - Solid lock on #1.

Chris Johnson - Reports White is hurt only helps his situation.

Hightower-Looks good on short yardage, but will he take over when Edge is done? When will that be?

Rice - where's he been? Faded fast since 64 yards in game 1.

Jones - Making the most of his carries.

Smith - Been displaced by Rudi as starter in Detroit.

Stewart - Not a ton a yds, but 3 game TD streak.

Mendenhall-IR

Anyone else...or comment...
McFadden maybe. :confused:
I knew I would forget at least one...or more.

There have been some good few weeks in the first games for a few players and a couple players have seemingly disappeared.Slaton - Is there a doubt that Ahman is done? But can Slaton last all year?Forte - Solid lock on #1.Chris Johnson - Reports White is hurt only helps his situation.Hightower-Looks good on short yardage, but will he take over when Edge is done? When will that be?Rice - where's he been? Faded fast since 64 yards in game 1.Jones - Making the most of his carries.Smith - Been displaced by Rudi as starter in Detroit.Stewart - Not a ton a yds, but 3 game TD streak.Mendenhall-IRAnyone else...or comment...
I know it is early to predict too much, but with RBs (unlike TEs, WRs and QBs), I feel the first impression is often the truest one when it comes to performance (sure there will always be exceptions like LJ).Forte, McFadden (if he can stay healthy), Stewart and Johnson look like the real deal (I know...really going out on a limb)Mendenhall and Smith will not justify their position in the draftRice, Slaton and hightower...jury is still out (for various reasons). I believe Hightower and Rice have the ability (just not the right situation and it will most likely impact their careers). Slaton looks REALLY good, but in that system, an average RB is supposed to look good (and face it, since DD, they have not had an average RB in place). It would not surprise me at all to see Slaton go for 1200-1300 total yards and have the Texans grab an RB in the first two rounds of the 2009 draft.

THE STUDS

1)Stewart - Clear #1 rookie RB. He can do it all

2)Chris Johnson - Another stud

3)Matt Forte - looks like an every down back and has been real solid between the tackles

SOLID SITUATIONAL BACKS

4)Felix Jones - might not be an everydown type, but should eventually get 12-15 touches a game

5)Steve Slaton - not an everydown or goaline back, but still decent

LONGSHOTS to ever become much

6)Kevin Smith

7)Ray Rice

8)Mendenhall

9)Hightower

THE STUDS

3)Matt Forte - looks like an every down back and has been real solid between the tackles

SOLID SITUATIONAL BACKS

4)Felix Jones - might not be an everydown type, but should eventually get 12-15 touches a game

6)Kevin Smith

7)Ray Rice

8)Mendenhall

9)Hightower
I don't think Stew is the "clear" #1, CJ3 is a darn good back in his own right. Probably the reason I like CJ3 so much is it helps demonstrate that you don't need a high #1 pick to get a new stud back. I'm not sure where to put McFadden, he looked alright when he played, but Fargas is doing well. Not a situational back, not a longshot, but is he a stud? :unsure:

moderated said:
THE STUDS

SOLID SITUATIONAL BACKS

6)Kevin Smith

7)Ray Rice

8)Mendenhall

9)Hightower
That cracked me up and I am a big Stewart fan. Personally I like McFadden, Stewart, Forte, CJ3 in that order and their kind of bunched up at the moment for me. If anyone "Can do it all" it's Forte at this point and he's someone who I was 100% wrong about and predicted he'd be a complete, utter bust.

FUBAR said:
moderated said:
THE STUDS

SOLID SITUATIONAL BACKS

6)Kevin Smith

7)Ray Rice

8)Mendenhall

9)Hightower
I don't think Stew is the "clear" #1, CJ3 is a darn good back in his own right. Probably the reason I like CJ3 so much is it helps demonstrate that you don't need a high #1 pick to get a new stud back.
I also (and you know this is coming from me) wonder how CJ is a STUD, but Felix is a SITUATIONAL back... that might not be an 'everydown type'...

No one mentioned Torain? Torain will get his shot when he returns. S Young isn't the workhorse back in DEN.

FUBAR said:
moderated said:
THE STUDS

SOLID SITUATIONAL BACKS

6)Kevin Smith

7)Ray Rice

8)Mendenhall

9)Hightower
I don't think Stew is the "clear" #1, CJ3 is a darn good back in his own right. Probably the reason I like CJ3 so much is it helps demonstrate that you don't need a high #1 pick to get a new stud back.
I also (and you know this is coming from me) wonder how CJ is a STUD, but Felix is a SITUATIONAL back... that might not be an 'everydown type'...
I agree, i do think they are pretty close in talent/type of player(i do prefer CJ3), the only real difference is one is the best offensive weapon on his team, and the other is a clear backup.There is a definate top 4 at this point, and they are all really close(dynasty value). Of course that is Forte, Mcfadden, Stewart and CJ. After that, i would take Slaton and Jones. Probably another drop, then Rice, Smith and Mendenhall.

I think this class is well on its way to being considered one of the best RB classes ever.

Edit to add Hightower, who is at least a tier lower than Rice, Smith, RM.

FUBAR said:
moderated said:
THE STUDS

SOLID SITUATIONAL BACKS

6)Kevin Smith

7)Ray Rice

8)Mendenhall

9)Hightower
I agree, i do think they are pretty close in talent/type of player(i do prefer CJ3), the only real difference is one is the best offensive weapon on his team, and the other is a clear backup.There is a definate top 4 at this point, and they are all really close(dynasty value). Of course that is Forte, Mcfadden, Stewart and CJ. After that, i would take Slaton and Jones. Probably another drop, then Rice, Smith and Mendenhall.

I think this class is well on its way to being considered one of the best RB classes ever.

Edit to add Hightower, who is at least a tier lower than Rice, Smith, RM.
Not sure I agree with this based on what we have seen through 1 month:1) Not enough on Mendenhall ot make a true judgment.

2) Ray Rice can't beat out the FB for playing time with McGahee banged up and a banged-up McGahee has jumped back in front of Rice.

Hightower has a couple of things going for him:

1) He's already scoring TDs, and at 6 points a pop, you can at least use him in an emergency.

2) Edge is OLD. He's the clear backup. Sure they could take a RB high next year, and maybe they will. But RIGHT NOW, it looks like he's got a shot next year. McGahee and Parker are both much younger than Edge.

FUBAR said:
moderated said:
THE STUDS

SOLID SITUATIONAL BACKS

6)Kevin Smith

7)Ray Rice

8)Mendenhall

9)Hightower
I think I know what ya mean here.IMO Chris Johnson is part of a RBBC wherein he is setup over and over and over to make the big play-a "lightning" role.

Felix is a high quality backup to Marion Barber.

While they come in on similarly later downs and similarly don't do the "dirty work", it "feels" different with Johnson.

Maybe the easiest way to explain the difference is, I do not feel that Johnson is Lendale's backup.

Make sense?

2) Ray Rice can't beat out the FB for playing time with McGahee banged up and a banged-up McGahee has jumped back in front of Rice.
Not many RBs could do what McClain does and stay healthy. Actually I thought even he got hurt last week.More often than not this is how I've felt when I've had the pleasure to watch him. The D flat out knows they are running. I'd swear they are thinking of putting all 11 in the box and ignoring the WRs completely. Cam Cameron shifts his linemen to show one power side of the OL(Center, is not the middle lineman) and almost say to the D "not only do you know we're running, but we're running right here". At times, it feels more like they're running their GL offense than anything else. They even line a Center up as a TE (outside lineman) at times. I think this is taking a page from the Giants book with younger Brandon Jacobs or Derrick Ward but Cam's added some changes to his OL formation. McClain is big like Ward, Jacobs, old Bam Morris etc. When discussing the Ravens this week, I believe Coach Fisher called those "non-negative yardage plays" this week. 2-3 yards on one carry means nothing to us in FF, but to the Ravens it puts them in an especially good spot on 3rd down like 3rd and 2 or 3rd and 3. The rook QB has less pressure, as they can literally run anything on 3rd down to get the necessary yardage.

imo slaton is the #1 rookie back

stewart can not do it all...yet (emphasis on yet) i think he could ultimatly be the #1 but not right now. he does not pick up blitzes well...if he did he wouldnt be splitting time with dwill. also not many receptions so how can you say he does it all? just not true.

slaton has shown it all...has picked up haynesworth on 3rd down, also has succeded at the goal line, split out wide and caught a td pass.

I'm a Slaton, Felix Jones and Tashard Choice owner in a dynasty league. My rankings would be

Redraft

Useful players

Matt Forte

Chris Johnson

Steve Slaton

Jonathan Stewart

Felix Jones

Darren McFadden

Tim Hightower

Not very useful players

Ray Rice

Kevin Smith

Ryan Torain

Jamaal Charles

Tashard Choice

Mike Hart

Rashard Mendenhall

Dynasty

Studs

Matt Forte

Chris Johnson

Jonathan Stewart

Felix Jones

Possible Studs

Steve Slaton

Darren McFadden

Possible starters

Ray Rice

Tim Hightower

Jamaal Charles

Rashard Mendenhall

Role players

Tashard Choice

Kevin Smith

Ryan Torain

Mike Hart

I'd rank Slaton way up because unlike most of the others, he was a draft day throw in, and I got him a week later for next to nothing.

Which makes his value, based on performance to date and going forward SKY HIGH.

So Far Rookie ranks based on my touch bonus league that scores true value of a RB.

1.Matt Forte 31.35 apg 1 overall, team MVP, League Rookie of year. So much for you sharks off season blah blah blah. I read this one right from day 1 but even me never expected this! Bad line and what ever he's number 1 over all rb in league after 4 weeks. Frank Gore is second!

2.Steve Slaton 25.47 apg 17th over all

3.Chris Johnson 25.43 18th over all

4.Darren McFadden 16.75 apg 29th over all

5. Jonathan Stewart 16.55 apg 30th over all

6.Kevin Smith 14.67 apg 38th over all

7.Tim Hightower 14.05 apg 40th over all

8.Felix Jones 9.28 apg 53rd over all

9. Mike Tolbert 8.43 apg 56th over all

10. Ray Rice 8.13 apg 58 overall

11. Kregg Lumpkin 7.60 apg (1 game)61 over all

12. Jamaal Charles 7.28 apg 63 over all

13.Rashard Mendenhall 6.33 apg 65 over all

Ryan Torain ..... I bet he is high on this list after a few games!

This is how it is so far! I don;t see a lot of changes other then 2 and 3 probably forthcomeing asumeing no injuries. Maybe 4 and 5 will switch but I don;t think Stewart or DMC can catch the top 3 with De Angelo and Fargas/Bush around.

Over all most productive rookie RB class I ever recall.

So Far Rookie ranks based on my touch bonus league that scores true value of a RB.

1.Matt Forte 31.35 apg 1 overall, team MVP, League Rookie of year. So much for you sharks off season blah blah blah. I read this one right from day 1 but even me never expected this! Bad line and what ever he's number 1 over all rb in league after 4 weeks. Frank Gore is second!

2.Steve Slaton 25.47 apg 17th over all

3.Chris Johnson 25.43 18th over all

4.Darren McFadden 16.75 apg 29th over all

5. Jonathan Stewart 16.55 apg 30th over all

6.Kevin Smith 14.67 apg 38th over all

7.Tim Hightower 14.05 apg 40th over all

8.Felix Jones 9.28 apg 53rd over all

9. Mike Tolbert 8.43 apg 56th over all

10. Ray Rice 8.13 apg 58 overall

11. Kregg Lumpkin 7.60 apg (1 game)61 over all

12. Jamaal Charles 7.28 apg 63 over all

13.Rashard Mendenhall 6.33 apg 65 over all

Ryan Torain ..... I bet he is high on this list after a few games!

This is how it is so far! I don;t see a lot of changes other then 2 and 3 probably forthcomeing asumeing no injuries. Maybe 4 and 5 will switch but I don;t think Stewart or DMC can catch the top 3 with De Angelo and Fargas/Bush around.

Over all most productive rookie RB class I ever recall.
this makes no senseAccording to standard scoring http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SlatSt00.htm Slaton has 41points in FF.

I realize you said your scoring was different but....tell me how 41 total points equates to 25 points per game after 3 games.

It's tough but for redraft purposes in a PPR league, I think the NO. 1 back out of the group is Forte. He's shown excellent receiving skills and the ability to run. He's the clear No. 1 back on his team.Chris Johnson is next. Extremely explosive, seeing more goaline work and plays on a good team that likes to run the ball.Slaton-His ability to catch the ball helps big time. Houston does not have a good football team but Slaton can be used even when they're behind as he's an excellent option out of the backfield.Stewart-Doesn't get a ton of catches and moves up the rankings in non PPR and maybe dynasty leagues. He's currently sharing time with Williams but anyone can see that Stewart's slowly taking over and he is the goaline back on a good running football team.McFadden- Showed great ability a couple weeks ago but is dinged up. It's hard to say just how good this guy is just yet but it's clear he has talent. The Raiders are not a good football team so he's not going to benefit much from getting carries when in the lead.Felix Jones- Behind a top 5 back on his team. Clearly a talented player and good be as good as anyone but he's currently buried but could move way up on any given week if The Barbarian ever got hurt.Hightower- A powerful back, used mainly in short yardage and goaline situations. Very impressive but he's not used in all goaline situations, making it virtually impossible to start a guy like Hightower unless something was to ever happen to Edge.Rice-Probably the guy in week 1 who looked like he had the best chance to shine early on and he's impressed me the least. He couldn't outperform a big fullback with McGahee hurt and last week, Baltimore definately wanted to use a dinged up McGahee more than a healthy Rice.

BUMP

the two names i am most curious about are rice and mendenhall:

two top talents who have suffered in stock this year for different reasons (competition and injury respectively).

Which one has more value going forward? Are they still the "locks" that they were before the season started?

Will they ever become starting quality backs?

BUMPthe two names i am most curious about are rice and mendenhall:two top talents who have suffered in stock this year for different reasons (competition and injury respectively).Which one has more value going forward? Are they still the "locks" that they were before the season started? Will they ever become starting quality backs?
I dont think either were locks before the season started. I also dont think either will ever become a stud RB, despite their optimum BMI's, but they both have some potential, and can be had dirt cheap right now. I would probably take Kevin Smith over either, and he can be had for a similar cost.

BUMPthe two names i am most curious about are rice and mendenhall:two top talents who have suffered in stock this year for different reasons (competition and injury respectively).Which one has more value going forward? Are they still the "locks" that they were before the season started? Will they ever become starting quality backs?
I dont think either were locks before the season started. I also dont think either will ever become a stud RB, despite their optimum BMI's, but they both have some potential, and can be had dirt cheap right now. I would probably take Kevin Smith over either, and he can be had for a similar cost.
by locks, i meant more as future starter for their team as opposed to pro bowl or all pro status.really kevin smith? is that from a talent perspective, situation or both?and regardless of bmi, i realize they are relatively cheap.

I think both guys still hold a fair amount of value. Rice failed to capitalize on McGahee's injury woes, but the reports on him were very positive in training camp and he's made a handful of nice plays in the preseason and regular season. I don't view him as a lock for stardom or even as a lock to eventually become a starter, but he's one of the better buy low dynasty RBs because he has a nice upside. Mendenhall has slipped slightly down my board a bit in the last few months. He doesn't have great cutting ability and he looks like more of a "big back" than a home run hitter (which is more or less what the scouting reports said about him). However, the jury is still very much out on him. He hasn't played enough to be written off and he did show some nice flashes of ability in the preseason and in the Baltimore game. Pittsburgh's front office knows what they're doing. Their last ten first round picks:Lawrence TimmonsSantonio HolmesHeath MillerBen RoethlisbergerTroy PolamaluKendall SimmonsCasey HamptonPlaxico BurressTroy EdwardsAlan FanecaThat's a phenomenal success rate. Maybe Mendenhall is the rare Steelers first round bust, but I'll play the odds and say he'll eventually become a solid player for them. Superstar? No, but he can be a productive back in that offense when Parker moves on. I like him as a buy low RB for rebuilding dynasty teams. There's no point trading him right now since you won't get fair value back in return. Sit on him and hope that he breaks out next year like Timmons is doing this year (everyone said Timmons was a bust last year). In general, it's not wise to severely downgrade players who haven't had much of a chance to play. If you were high on Mendenhall and Rice prior to the season, there's no real reason why you should be quitting on them now.

by locks, i meant more as future starter for their team as opposed to pro bowl or all pro status.really kevin smith? is that from a talent perspective, situation or both?and regardless of bmi, i realize they are relatively cheap.
Although its only a small sample size, i think Smith has looked better than both RM and Rice, and he is looking better as the season goes on. My only real issue with Smith was he ran a little tenatively in the preseason, and first few weeks of the regular season. He seemed to run alot harder right around the same time the Lions brought Rudi around(probably not a coincidence). I like Smiths talent, but the situation is what sets him apart from the other two though.

I think both guys still hold a fair amount of value. Rice failed to capitalize on McGahee's injury woes, but the reports on him were very positive in training camp and he's made a handful of nice plays in the preseason and regular season. I don't view him as a lock for stardom or even as a lock to eventually become a starter, but he's one of the better buy low dynasty RBs because he has a nice upside. Mendenhall has slipped slightly down my board a bit in the last few months. He doesn't have great cutting ability and he looks like more of a "big back" than a home run hitter (which is more or less what the scouting reports said about him). However, the jury is still very much out on him. He hasn't played enough to be written off and he did show some nice flashes of ability in the preseason and in the Baltimore game. Pittsburgh's front office knows what they're doing. Their last ten first round picks:Lawrence TimmonsSantonio HolmesHeath MillerBen RoethlisbergerTroy PolamaluKendall SimmonsCasey HamptonPlaxico BurressTroy EdwardsAlan FanecaThat's a phenomenal success rate. Maybe Mendenhall is the rare Steelers first round bust, but I'll play the odds and say he'll eventually become a solid player for them. Superstar? No, but he can be a productive back in that offense when Parker moves on. I like him as a buy low RB for rebuilding dynasty teams. There's no point trading him right now since you won't get fair value back in return. Sit on him and hope that he breaks out next year like Timmons is doing this year (everyone said Timmons was a bust last year). In general, it's not wise to severely downgrade players who haven't had much of a chance to play. If you were high on Mendenhall and Rice prior to the season, there's no real reason why you should be quitting on them now.
great post. is it safe to say u value mendenhall above rice? no concern of the injury going forward or the lap of reps this rookie year due to going on IR?

great post. is it safe to say u value mendenhall above rice? no concern of the injury going forward or the lap of reps this rookie year due to going on IR?
Yea, it's safe to say I like Mendenhall more than Rice. Rice has some skills and it's possible that he'll have the better career when the dust settles, but I'll put my money on the bigger player with the better pedigree. When a team uses a first round pick on a RB, it means they're going to give him a chance to make a significant impact sooner or later. My guess is that Mendenhall will be in a committee with Parker next year. If the team is satisfied with his progress, he'll probably get a chance to start in 2010 when Willie is a free agent. Am I concerned about the injury? Sure. It's never a good thing when a player suffers a season-ending injury. At the same time, a fractured shoulder worries me a lot less than a serious knee, ankle, or foot injury. As long as Mendenhall stays committed to his rehab, the bones should heal. I don't see it being a long term concern as long as he doesn't get lazy. Bottom line is that he's a first round RB on a team with a strong recent history of drafting very good players in the first round. Yes, you might have to wait a year or two for him to make an impact, but he's just a kid. Two years from now he'll be the same age that Chris Johnson is right now. Assuming he stays motivated and lives up to his draft pedigree, there's no reason to think he can't eventually bounce back from this and become a productive NFL starter.

I can't believe there is actually discussion about Mendenhall vs. Rice. Mendenhall is a hugely talented RB who was selected in the first round by a run-centric team. Sure he's out for this year, but as stated above he should be running in a full committee next year and the full time starter in 2010.

Mendenhall may offer you a great chance to grab a future stud from an impatient player. If such a player owns him in your league go trade for him right now.

Users who are viewing this thread