What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Roseanne Barr tweets racist comment; her show is canceled (1 Viewer)

Nobody pigeonholed you.  You made an unrequested declaration.
Perhaps it's where I come from, intellectually. Hayek wrote a famous essay called "Why I Am Not A Conservative," Buckley wanted to stop history (inevitably teleological) yelling "athwart." Such is the tension twixt the two -- to stop Marxian history or to prepare for a new world. Personally, I believe in both.  

If you constantly have to declare how independent of a thinker you are because everything you say gets heard as something you claim not to be, you should really take a look at what you're actually saying. 
Or the people listening should listen to what you're trying to say -- truth as truth. 

Very well, where should I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low-grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen-year-old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims, like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. A sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. If I was insolent, I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds. Pretty standard, really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. At the age of fifteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my ####. There really is nothing like a shaven scrotum. At the age of eighteen, I went off to evil medical school.

Physician, heal thyself.

People aren't talking about what you're referring to as conservative thought when they reference "conservatives."  You know this. 
Dude, I sure as heck don’t know what “conservative” means anymore. So far as I can glean, it means supporting Donald Trump. 

This is horrible. She shouldn't be on tv.
Saints wrote this back in March and he was right. And which leads us to another issue of this discussion: unlike Matt Lauer and other examples, ABC knew what Roseanne was about these days. They hired her anyhow because they anticipated good ratings. Yes they deserve some credit for firing her so quickly but it’s tenpered by the fact that they hired her. 

And while the news shows can rightfully criticize Trump for praising her, they did as well. Roseanne appeared on Good Morning America at least twice that I saw (I’m on the treadmill at the gym at that time in the morning) and George Stephanolophous and the rest of them showered praise on her for her success. 

For people trying to defend Roseanne or make it sound like what she did wasn't so bad.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/05/roseanne-and-the-deplorable-style-in-american-politics/561503/

She says, "Hey, don't do it. I ####ed up."

Later, she took to Twitter to concur with her critics and to rein in her defenders. “Hey guys, don’t defend me, it’s sweet of you 2 try, but … losing my show is 0 compared 2 being labelled a racist over one tweet-that I regret even more,” she wrote. In a separate tweet, she added, “guys I did something unforgiveable so do not defend me. It was 2 in the morning and I was ambien tweeting-it was memorial day too-i went 2 far & do not want it defended-it was egregious Indefensible. I made a mistake I wish I hadn’t but … don’t defend it please.”
From the National Review and quoted in the Atlantic story

This wasn’t some kind of innocent joke that has been misinterpreted and blown out of proportion. It was a clear-cut, textbook example of racism, and 65-year-old Barr is absolutely adult enough to have known this when she tweeted it. Although she happens to support Donald Trump, conservatives absolutely should not feel compelled to defend Roseanne—and I say this as someone who really enjoyed the show.

Her tweet was racist, and she’s also made plenty of crazy statements in the past. For example: She’s a 9/11 truther. She accused the Obama administration of contriving “false-flag terror attacks,” such as the Boston Marathon bombing, in an attempt to interfere with our Second Amendment rights. She’s tweeted YouTube videos that defended the Pizzagate conspiracy theory. Truly, she’s not even really “conservative” so much as she is nuts. Is someone like that really someone that conservatives should want as a representative of their side, anyway?

I suppose I can understand how the dearth of conservatives in Hollywood might make conservatives feel compelled to just support whomever they can get, but anyone with a shred of respect or intelligence should think twice before defending a racist tweet from an unhinged conspiracy theorist. Principles should always come before party—and an opposition to racism should always be among your principles.
Roseanne doesn't think it should be defended. The National Review things it's horrible and shouldn't be falsely equivocated. Maybe those in this thread who have tried either of these things should sit back and think about themselves. And whose values they think they're supporting and defending.

For people trying to defend Roseanne or make it sound like what she did wasn't so bad.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/05/roseanne-and-the-deplorable-style-in-american-politics/561503/

She says, "Hey, don't do it. I ####ed up."

From the National Review and quoted in the Atlantic story

Roseanne doesn't think it should be defended. The National Review things it's horrible and shouldn't be falsely equivocated. Maybe those in this thread who have tried either of these things should sit back and think about themselves. And whose values they think they're supporting and defending.
The funny thing is that a lot of the people defending Roseanne or saying her show shouldn't have been cancelled seem to agree with the president that NFL players that kneel during the playing of the National Anthem should be cut because they are disrespecting the flag.  They forget about this wonderful performance.

ETA:  Looks like this was covered in the very first page of the thread.   Nevermind...

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO you got this exactly backwards.  The people who are quitting are doing so because they realize that Trumpism has won the battle for the soul of their party. They either don't want to be a part of it, or they don't think they can survive a primary against a Trumpist or a general election in a purple district where they would have to defend him. 

So while it's true that some people aren't running because of him, they made that decision because Trumpism is the GOP and vice-versa, not because he's an outlier.
I think its both reasons.  IMHO - the biggest problem in politics today is both political parties have succumb to the fringe/extreme.

Trump making it about him as usual...

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump

Bob Iger of ABC called Valerie Jarrett to let her know that “ABC does not tolerate comments like those” made by Roseanne Barr. Gee, he never called President Donald J. Trump to apologize for the HORRIBLE statements made and said about me on ABC. Maybe I just didn’t get the call?

8:31 AM - 30 May 2018
Trump finally identified the real victim here: himself

Trump making it about him as usual...

Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump

Bob Iger of ABC called Valerie Jarrett to let her know that “ABC does not tolerate comments like those” made by Roseanne Barr. Gee, he never called President Donald J. Trump to apologize for the HORRIBLE statements made and said about me on ABC. Maybe I just didn’t get the call?

8:31 AM - 30 May 2018
Link

She has a history of being a nutjob and I'd imagine she was on double secret probation. There was already a boycott push based on her history of racism and homophobia.

What are the extreme positions on the left that the moderates have succumbed to?
Its not they succumbed to the extreme position its more the moderate voice is often not heard or muted today.  To me, the voice of the democrats are the Sanders, Warren, Pelosi, Schummer etc who are IMO left of the moderates... 

Its not they succumbed to the extreme position its more the moderate voice is often not heard or muted today.  To me, the voice of the democrats are the Sanders, Warren, Pelosi, Schummer etc who are IMO left of the moderates... 
Do you think your friend General Tso had any extreme views?

Our lefties are barely left at all. Our moderates largely haven't gotten behind cannabis legalization or single payer health care and there is majority public support for both. We are a strange country in that our government is largely configured to reward inertia and thwart progress.

No offense but if you're throwing these four together I don't think you have a particularly good handle on what's going on across the aisle.  Schumer is a middle of the road establishment Dem. So is Pelosi.  Warren is further left and far more combative.  Sanders isn't even a member of the party, he's probably similar ideologically to Warren but not nearly as combative and takes pride in his lack of party affiliation.

Our lefties are barely left at all. Our moderates largely haven't gotten behind cannabis legalization or single payer health care and there is majority public support for both. We are a strange country in that our government is largely configured to reward inertia and thwart progress.
I agree with legalization of cannabis but how can we trust the federal gov't with our health system?? I don't see majority of people supporting single payer..  I don't trust many polls.. 

I agree with legalization of cannabis but how can we trust the federal gov't with our health system?? I don't see majority of people supporting single payer..  I don't trust many polls.. 
I don't want the federal government to run our health system. I just want it to oversee the medical community and pay the bills out of tax revenues. Like other countries figure out how to do. It must be a miracle the way they do it.

I don't know how to address someone who doesn't trust polls in an era of the most accurate polling in history.

No offense but if you're throwing these four together I don't think you have a particularly good handle on what's going on across the aisle.  Schumer is a middle of the road establishment Dem. So is Pelosi.  Warren is further left and far more combative.  Sanders isn't even a member of the party, he's probably similar ideologically to Warren but not nearly as combative and takes pride in his lack of party affiliation.
I'm throwing them together as the main voice/face of the democratic party - Who am I missing?  With that said, collectively they are left of the most moderates in the democratic party.  Pelosi middle of the road???

And this hasn't been moved to the political sub-forum because...???

JB inundated deleting 'Who's hottest' posts? ;P

I'm throwing them together as the main voice/face of the democratic party - Who am I missing?  With that said, collectively they are left of the most moderates in the democratic party.  Pelosi middle of the road???
Yes, she's a middle of the road Democrat.  Not middle of the road overall, but definitely not one of the more liberal Dems. And you don't have to take my word for it, here's an attempted quantifying of political leanings from 2016 that puts her closer to the true centrists than the far left.

Based on your mistaken impression of Pelosi's politics, and the fact that the four people you named as Dem leadership/voices include someone who isn't even a Democrat and a first-term Senator with no leadership position and limited previous political experience, I kind of get the feeling that your understanding of liberals/progressives/Dems comes from conservative news sources more interested in finding easy marks to stir up anger among conservatives than accurately conveying what is going on across the aisle.  Is that accurate?

For what it's worth the view on the other side of the aisle is exactly the opposite of your impression of party/movement leadership.  There are way more people who think Dem leadership is too centrist/passive than there are people who think leadership is too extremist.

Yes, she's a middle of the road Democrat.  Not middle of the road overall, but definitely not one of the more liberal Dems. And you don't have to take my word for it, here's an attempted quantifying of political leanings from 2016 that puts her closer to the true centrists than the far left.

Based on your mistaken impression of Pelosi's politics, and the fact that the four people you named as Dem leadership/voices include someone who isn't even a Democrat and a first-term Senator with no leadership position and limited previous political experience, I kind of get the feeling that your understanding of liberals/progressives/Dems comes from conservative news sources more interested in finding easy marks to stir up anger among conservatives than accurately conveying what is going on across the aisle.  Is that accurate?

For what it's worth the view on the other side of the aisle is exactly the opposite of your impression of party/movement leadership.  There are way more people who think Dem leadership is too centrist/passive than there are people who think leadership is too extremist.
I get my news from the newspaper and CBS national news for the most part.  Sanders, while independent, he is aligned with democratic party.  Who generally speaks for the democratic party in your opinion?

Users who are viewing this thread