What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rotoworld (1 Viewer)

The content of the updates is pretty good and they do have "stringers" that send them information, but the writing is atrocious. If I read one more sentence that begins with "that" on their site I may scream.

The content of the updates is pretty good and they do have "stringers" that send them information, but the writing is atrocious. If I read one more sentence that begins with "that" on their site I may scream.
The updates are solid, although KFFL's Hot off the Wire is more thorough. It's the writer's personal view on it that annoys me. So many different viewpoints, but I guess that's what the first reply meant by many different people.Todays, Kevin Smith update was a bit brutal for example. Initially posted as he's likely out til Week 7. I was quite suprised to read that as Jim Schwartz went on record about he very rarely will disclose the length of the injury. So I clicked on the article and nowhere does it say that. So I come back 20 minutes later and it now says "We're speculating........"Just very poor writing for a trusted fantasy source.

Last edited by a moderator:
The updates are solid, although KFFL's Hot off the Wire is more thorough. It's the writer's personal view on it that annoys me. So many different viewpoints, but I guess that's what the first reply meant by many different people.Todays, Kevin Smith update was a bit brutal for example. Initially posted as he's likely out til Week 7. I was quite suprised to read that as Jim Schwartz went on record about he very rarely will disclose the length of the injury. So I clicked on the article and nowhere does it say that. So I come back 20 minutes later and it now says "We're speculating........"Just very poor writing for a trusted fantasy source.
Exactly. It's like they know the more dramatic they can make it, the more fantasy football players will copy and paste their headliner on all their forums.

Exactly. It's like they know the more dramatic they can make it, the more fantasy football players will copy and paste their headliner on all their forums.
i think i have to stick to reading only the black part (news) and ignoring the blue (opinion)

The updates are solid, although KFFL's Hot off the Wire is more thorough. It's the writer's personal view on it that annoys me. So many different viewpoints, but I guess that's what the first reply meant by many different people.

Todays, Kevin Smith update was a bit brutal for example. Initially posted as he's likely out til Week 7. I was quite suprised to read that as Jim Schwartz went on record about he very rarely will disclose the length of the injury. So I clicked on the article and nowhere does it say that. So I come back 20 minutes later and it now says "We're speculating........"

Just very poor writing for a trusted fantasy source.
It bugs me too.

I appreciate what they bring to the table. That said, even their accounts of "what happened" in a game are pretty far off. I've watched a game from beginning to end, and then the description of a piece of the game is wildly inaccurate. Bottom line : read the facts part, and take the rest with a grain of salt.

KFFL... talk about allergic to change. Haven't become an interesting site after all these years. I gave up on my bookmark there over the last year. Solid info, maybe. But they just dont seem to want to adopt to the new decade.

Oooh, conspiracy theories! I can see how a reader would come to believe this if they were to cherry-pick and choose a blurb here and a blurb there. But it really couldn't be further from the truth. Believe it or not, accuracy is the goal. The Rotoworld writers are guessing right along with everyone else. Most of them have years of experience reading the tea leaves of head coach quotes, player reactions, and beat writer speculation. The goal is to help the reader get a good feel for what to expect. The guy who wrote the Kevin Smith blurb last night has been on top of this for years, and is -- in my opinion -- the best in the business at getting a good read on an injury timetable when the coach won't spill the beans.

I like rotoworld for their news, other than that I read most of the other stuff and move on.

You need to be able to take those opinions and put them together with the other things you read and then make a decision based on what you think.

Otherwise why play. I guess if rotoworld was the only source you used, then I could see being a critic of their information if it isn't working out for you.

Oooh, conspiracy theories! I can see how a reader would come to believe this if they were to cherry-pick and choose a blurb here and a blurb there. But it really couldn't be further from the truth. Believe it or not, accuracy is the goal. The Rotoworld writers are guessing right along with everyone else. Most of them have years of experience reading the tea leaves of head coach quotes, player reactions, and beat writer speculation. The goal is to help the reader get a good feel for what to expect. The guy who wrote the Kevin Smith blurb last night has been on top of this for years, and is -- in my opinion -- the best in the business at getting a good read on an injury timetable when the coach won't spill the beans.
You are one of the writers for RW, correct?

You are one of the writers for RW, correct?
Yes.

That is untrue.
I see. Perhaps that's Rotowire, or ___world changed its (your) policy, as a guy I play fantasy baseball with was one such stringer.

Anyway, please stop starting sentences with "that." It's awful, awful English. TIA! :thumbdown:

:hot: I appreciate a writer's willingness to give his/her opinion. What the regular posters/readers of this board need to understand is that they are roughly a bazillion times more informed than the AVERAGE fantasy football player poking their head in once a week Friday afternoon to get a quick assessment. The random person isn't scouring 6-8 different sources. They want a blurb, the site's opinion and move on with their day.

That is untrue.
I see. Perhaps that's Rotowire, or ___world changed its (your) policy, as a guy I play fantasy baseball with was one such stringer.

Anyway, please stop starting sentences with "that." It's awful, awful English. TIA! :thumbup:
Now baseball is a different story, but I'm pretty sure they don't even do "stringers" anymore. They do have more regular contributors than the football side though. I'm not your "that" man, but I have a pretty good idea who is.

In my probably biased view, Rotoworld is possibly the best in the biz with player news updates. Typically very timely and I think the personal analysis is usually reasonable... sure, I don't agree with all of it, as it is usually just an informed opinion, but the brief analysis is usually solid/reasonable, in my experience, and rarely far-fetched.

In my league at MFL where we get like 5 or so news sources for player news/blurbs, some of the other news providers have much less professional feel for their news updates, for both the news portion and the analysis portion. I'm not going to name names, but there are a couple that I now don't even bother to read at MFL once I see who produced the 'blurb'. I've seen things as bad as completely butchering a FF relevant player's name to a total/complete lack of understanding of a given team's depth chart or the latest camp/preseason developments. Hard to buy any analysis when a player's name isn't even correct or when there is an obvious lack of understanding of current depth charts. - Never found Rotoworld guilty of this in the past few seasons.

I like Rotoworld for the quick updates, and agree that generally speaking, the assessments/analysis are pretty solid. But like anything, you have to take that as just one opinion, combine that with other opinions/analysis you read, plus your own thoughts, then make your own conclusion. That's why I like reading player news at MFL (plus reading FBG of course), because MFL posts an aggregate of different sites and you can see varying opinions all in one spot.

One example of this is the Laurent Robinson injury impact. Rotoworld (Chris) saw the impact as a potential upgrade for Avery as the default #1 option, while FBG (Waldman, I think it was) sees Avery as a continued downgrade, with the potential upgrade more for Burton. So it's always good to draw from multiple sources before making a decision.

That said, Chris, can you elaborate on why you think Avery will bounce back and become the #1 target again?

I like Rotoworld for the quick updates, and agree that generally speaking, the assessments/analysis are pretty solid. But like anything, you have to take that as just one opinion, combine that with other opinions/analysis you read, plus your own thoughts, then make your own conclusion. That's why I like reading player news at MFL (plus reading FBG of course), because MFL posts an aggregate of different sites and you can see varying opinions all in one spot.
Agree.I use to read different sources but lots of times I take the Rotoworld view: quick, accurate and good depth in just 4 lines.

Rotoworld is guessing just like everyone else. Take today for example.....There is a blurb on Chris Brown being sore from last week's game and not practicing at all. But then the blurb goes on to say he could lose goal line looks because of last week's goal line fumble. This is complete specualion and 100% not truth. The coach said in the post game presser EXACTLY the OPPOSITE of those thoughts Rotoworld posted on the goal line stuff.

Roto is a great place to stay on top of every player but do your own further research and investigation.

I like Rotoworld for the quick updates, and agree that generally speaking, the assessments/analysis are pretty solid. But like anything, you have to take that as just one opinion, combine that with other opinions/analysis you read, plus your own thoughts, then make your own conclusion. That's why I like reading player news at MFL (plus reading FBG of course), because MFL posts an aggregate of different sites and you can see varying opinions all in one spot.One example of this is the Laurent Robinson injury impact. Rotoworld (Chris) saw the impact as a potential upgrade for Avery as the default #1 option, while FBG (Waldman, I think it was) sees Avery as a continued downgrade, with the potential upgrade more for Burton. So it's always good to draw from multiple sources before making a decision.That said, Chris, can you elaborate on why you think Avery will bounce back and become the #1 target again?
Not a brain buster, really. There is no one else to throw to. Burton isnt good. L robinson was.

That is untrue.

Anyway, please stop starting sentences with "that." It's awful, awful English. TIA! :kicksrock:
Now baseball is a different story, but I'm pretty sure they don't even do "stringers" anymore. They do have more regular contributors than the football side though. I'm not your "that" man, but I have a pretty good idea who is.
Yeah? I think I might, based on other written material. And of course I'm just joking around with you - - I wouldn't have the time to be annoyed by that little quirk if I didn't read the page all the time. It's invaluable. I vastly prefer the football material, though, so thanks for your efforts there. It's irritating when the front page "update" baseball material - - particularly since the sport has more contributors available, as you indicate - - consistently reflects the biases, not to mention grammatical boners, of what's pretty clearly been one person. At least this sesaon.

thehornet said:
Rotoworld is guessing just like everyone else. Take today for example.....There is a blurb on Chris Brown being sore from last week's game and not practicing at all. But then the blurb goes on to say he could lose goal line looks because of last week's goal line fumble. This is complete specualion and 100% not truth. The coach said in the post game presser EXACTLY the OPPOSITE of those thoughts Rotoworld posted on the goal line stuff. Roto is a great place to stay on top of every player but do your own further research and investigation.
I believe it said he's at risk of losing "carries" not goal-line looks, but the point is well taken. We write with one voice on the news page, but there are definitely times where disagreements spring up. I'm pretty much with you on this one. Kubiak expressed plenty of confidence in Brown despite the lost fumble.

Aerial Assault said:
That is untrue.

Anyway, please stop starting sentences with "that." It's awful, awful English. TIA! :lmao:
Yeah? I think I might, based on other written material. And of course I'm just joking around with you - - I wouldn't have the time to be annoyed by that little quirk if I didn't read the page all the time. It's invaluable. I vastly prefer the football material, though, so thanks for your efforts there. It's irritating when the front page "update" baseball material - - particularly since the sport has more contributors available, as you indicate - - consistently reflects the biases, not to mention grammatical boners, of what's pretty clearly been one person. At least this sesaon.
To be frank, I always preferred the football page to the baseball page even before I worked there. Now that I've done some baseball work (in the first half of the season before training camps started), I know that the guys running the show -- Pouliot and Gleeman -- are outstanding. Their knowledge is unparalleled for fantasy writers. But they do have more underlings than the football side just because it's the nature of the beast with 15 games every day/night ... and it's those underlings that are irritating you. One thing that's interesting about baseball though: there are plenty of sites devoted to fantasy football news, but Rotoworld is basically it for baseball. It's a pretty large undertaking to get the baseball news/updates out there every day.

Also, you mentioned "biases." I'm not sure exactly what you were referring to. Before I worked there, my one complaint about the baseball side was that it fell back on sabermetric analysis far too easily. I thought it was lazy just to plug a player into the Moneyball formula (Hee Seop Choi, anyone?) to determine whether he was good or not. Honestly, I think they've improved greatly in that area, though. I don't see nearly as much of the sabermetric parroting as I used to.

thehornet said:
I like Rotoworld for the quick updates, and agree that generally speaking, the assessments/analysis are pretty solid. But like anything, you have to take that as just one opinion, combine that with other opinions/analysis you read, plus your own thoughts, then make your own conclusion. That's why I like reading player news at MFL (plus reading FBG of course), because MFL posts an aggregate of different sites and you can see varying opinions all in one spot.One example of this is the Laurent Robinson injury impact. Rotoworld (Chris) saw the impact as a potential upgrade for Avery as the default #1 option, while FBG (Waldman, I think it was) sees Avery as a continued downgrade, with the potential upgrade more for Burton. So it's always good to draw from multiple sources before making a decision.That said, Chris, can you elaborate on why you think Avery will bounce back and become the #1 target again?
Not a brain buster, really. There is no one else to throw to. Burton isnt good. L robinson was.
:lmao: I think Waldman is one of the best analysts around. There's really no question about it.But we have different styles. I don't want Burton because he's not that talented, and he's going to be useless in all leagues that don't have 25-30 deep rosters. Avery is the superior talent, and now he ascends to the No. 1 receiver role ... as he was supposed to originally. As thehornet says: there is no one else to throw too.

thehornet said:
Rotoworld is guessing just like everyone else. Take today for example.....There is a blurb on Chris Brown being sore from last week's game and not practicing at all. But then the blurb goes on to say he could lose goal line looks because of last week's goal line fumble. This is complete specualion and 100% not truth. The coach said in the post game presser EXACTLY the OPPOSITE of those thoughts Rotoworld posted on the goal line stuff. Roto is a great place to stay on top of every player but do your own further research and investigation.
And isn't that what you want from a fantasy analyst? Educated guessing? Ohhh, the coach said the opposite...then he must NOT be at risk of losing goal line touches. :X And I suppose every time they say "Player X is our guy" and he gets yanked the following week, they just happened to change their mind in the meantime.Here's the thing, NOBODY is going to be 100% correct, not even 70% correct. If you don't think the goal in fantasy analysis is to be LESS WRONG than everyone else, you're kidding yourself. I don't care WHAT source you use - they'll be wrong plenty. And just using your example above, what you cite as "100% not truth" - we'll see how it plays out.

thehornet said:
And isn't that what you want from a fantasy analyst? Educated guessing? Ohhh, the coach said the opposite...then he must NOT be at risk of losing goal line touches. :goodposting: And I suppose every time they say "Player X is our guy" and he gets yanked the following week, they just happened to change their mind in the meantime.Here's the thing, NOBODY is going to be 100% correct, not even 70% correct. If you don't think the goal in fantasy analysis is to be LESS WRONG than everyone else, you're kidding yourself. I don't care WHAT source you use - they'll be wrong plenty. And just using your example above, what you cite as "100% not truth" - we'll see how it plays out.
I'm in 100% agreement. I am cautioning to do further research and not just use one source for information and take it as truth. However, I will say the Brown situation was odd. The coach said that he loves Brown on the goal line and that there is not even a thought in his mind about yanking him from the role. I find it a little strange that anybody would think that those statements would lead to a decerease in that role. Of course if he keeps doing it, then yes, i would say his chances to lose goal line looks increase.All that being said, I love rotoworld and have been going there for a very long time. It's one of my main sources for up to the minute info and the opinions are generally very well thought out and entertaining. And generally accurate.

They're wedded to their projections. They'll gloss over mediocre performances from their favorites ("expect huge numbers next week") while downplaying great stats of guys they projected lower ("don't expect this again"). Their frequent player updates, however, are unparalleled.

They're wedded to their projections. They'll gloss over mediocre performances from their favorites ("expect huge numbers next week") while downplaying great stats of guys they projected lower ("don't expect this again").
I've noticed this as well. On the positive side, they aren't quick to go bonkers over one good or bad performance. But they do seem to be a little slow to come around on an emerging situation.My biggest disappointment this year is with the Season Pass. While I love the Draft Guide and will probably get that again in future years, the Season Pass is mediocre and is basically replicated in full on the free side of the website. The IDP stuff is atrocious and seems like someone is mailing it in every week. The updated 200 is nice but there aren't PPR rankings after the draft guide. I do like the game summaries, the dynasty rankings, and the personalized roster management. But I think FBG's in-season subscriber stuff is far superior.

Aerial Assault said:
To be frank, I always preferred the football page to the baseball page even before I worked there. Now that I've done some baseball work (in the first half of the season before training camps started), I know that the guys running the show -- Pouliot and Gleeman -- are outstanding. Their knowledge is unparalleled for fantasy writers. But they do have more underlings than the football side just because it's the nature of the beast with 15 games every day/night ... and it's those underlings that are irritating you. One thing that's interesting about baseball though: there are plenty of sites devoted to fantasy football news, but Rotoworld is basically it for baseball. It's a pretty large undertaking to get the baseball news/updates out there every day. Also, you mentioned "biases." I'm not sure exactly what you were referring to. Before I worked there, my one complaint about the baseball side was that it fell back on sabermetric analysis far too easily. I thought it was lazy just to plug a player into the Moneyball formula (Hee Seop Choi, anyone?) to determine whether he was good or not. Honestly, I think they've improved greatly in that area, though. I don't see nearly as much of the sabermetric parroting as I used to.
Roger that on the underlings. I enjoy the columns - - although Pouliot has a little "that" in him too. Incredibly irritating! :confused: There's Rotowire as well, unless they folded or something this season (I didn't check), but good call on Rotoworld lapping the field with baseball news. Of course, that just makes them more of a target, however unfair that may be. One bias off the top of my head - - the front page writers detest any player with speed who doesn't also hit 30 home runs. I had owned Bourn in a deep, minor league keeper since 2004, and once he made the bigs, they would RELENTLESSLY dump on the kid almost every day. Of course that halted this season, but they just stopped writing bad things; it's not like they ever balanced it with positive reports now that the kid has shown the ability to hit. Additional examples: the front page hates Joe Torre (this one is okay with me even though I am a resident Dodger fan); Jeff Francoeur is a war criminal because he doesn't walk; and guys who are 26 or so and haven't yet broken out in the bigs are done, until they really light it up, and then they're good (this season: Josh Willingham). Again, great content for the most part - - but those types of shots always have to be included, and they get old really, really fast. While I'm at it, did you have anything to do with the recent proclamation of Ed "Deep Center Field" Reed as one of the greatest safeties of all time? I'm almost afraid to ask. :hot: :(

That is untrue.
Anyway, please stop starting sentences with "that." It's awful, awful English. TIA! :confused:
I'm not your "that" man, but I have a pretty good idea who is.
Oh really? :(
That's nothing and I'll allow it. It's this kind of construct: "That Joe Torre has mismanaged Chad Billingsley this season is obvious even though some of the righty's late-season backsliding is likely due to mental issues."

In other words, "It's obvious that Joe Torre has mismanaged . . . even though . . . . " Same usage of space, but with bonus literacy! :hot:

At least one person at RW got it into their head to start almost every sentence with "that," probably thinking they're saving time and space by not using "the fact that." It's risen to awesome levels in 2008 and 2009.

Evan Silva's "Matchups" which comes out on Thursday/Friday has become my favorite fantasy football article to read each week. Great stuff.

I'm sure they do. They would be crazy not to. Always know what your competition is doing.

Users who are viewing this thread