What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Roy E. Williams - broken collarbone? Conflicting reports (1 Viewer)

gbill2004

Footballguy
Roy E. Williams left Thursday's practice with a shoulder injury after a goal-line collision with CB Orlando Scandrick.Williams stayed down for awhile and was examined by trainers before shouting out in anger on his way to the locker room. The severity of the injury isn't known, though he'll likely be sent for an MRI on Friday.
According to Profootballtalk.com, Roy E. Williams' shoulder injury is a broken collarbone.Source: Profootballtalk at NBCSports.com
The Dallas Morning News cites two sources as saying X-rays on Roy E. Williams' shoulder/collarbone were negative.Profootballtalk.com was originally told that Williams sustained a broken collarbone, but a second source corroborated the Dallas Morning News report of a negative X-ray. There's no timetable for Williams' return, but this certainly increases his chances of being ready for the season opener.

Last edited by a moderator:
No surprises here. Hopefully it's just a stinger and not a dislocation, but he has had similar should problems with Detroit.

is it 100% certain that Crayton would see the majority of Williams targets should Roy be out an extended period? I thought Hurd was the better "project" of the two?

Mike Florio is saying it may be a broken collarbone.

Source: Broken collarbone for Roy WilliamsPosted by Mike Florio on August 27, 2009 10:20 PM ETPaging Marvin Harrison.Paging Marvin Harrison.A league source tells us that Cowboys receiver Roy Williams suffered a broken collarbone during his Thursday night collision with cornerback Orlando Scandrick.More to come.

Mike Florio is saying it may be a broken collarbone.

Source: Broken collarbone for Roy WilliamsPosted by Mike Florio on August 27, 2009 10:20 PM ETPaging Marvin Harrison.Paging Marvin Harrison.A league source tells us that Cowboys receiver Roy Williams suffered a broken collarbone during his Thursday night collision with cornerback Orlando Scandrick.More to come.
Maybe Charles Rogers passed that onto him during their stint together in Detroit. Do these guys there not get enough milk?

Hurd's looked good. With the talent at RB, the Crayton-Austin-Hurd trio will be serviceable, if not earth-shattering.

So is there a concensus pickup here, or will this be a WRBC with Hurd, Austin and Crayton picking up the slack?

Is there any one receiver besides Witten who has a significant bump in value?

So is there a concensus pickup here, or will this be a WRBC with Hurd, Austin and Crayton picking up the slack?Is there any one receiver besides Witten who has a significant bump in value?
It'll be spread out...but Crayton may actually become a viable fantasy starter.

The name not really mentioned yet is Felix Jones. I'd expect some more dump-offs given that this is a less than stellar WR corps who may not be able to get much separation.

Hurd's looked good. With the talent at RB, the Crayton-Austin-Hurd trio will be serviceable, if not earth-shattering.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves
No, I meant that even though they won't be earth-shattering, they'll be serviceable. *Not* they'll be serviceable and possibly earth-shattering.

It reminds me of the Giants situation last year.

Austin hasn't been living up to his billing and as previously mentioned Hurd has been standing out this preseason so he would be the Sleeper of the Group.

Now is the time for Austin and/or Crayton to make their stand and try to hold the position but even T.O. raved about Hurds potential when he was there and took him under his wing giving him pointers on being a better wideout.

That might not be saying much to some of you but T.O. I am pretty sure knows talent when he sees it. Hurd also comes with the smallest price tag so while everyone else is scrambling for Austin and Crayton, Hurd is already stashed on my bench as my sleeper pick for the year. :shrug:

Crayton was already a starter. Hurd had passed Austin for #3. I suspect Crayton's role will remain about the same and Hurd will move into Roy's spot. I'd be adding Hurd (and have been during the last 10 minutes).

Those pimping Hurd need to be reminded of his preseason last year, maybe the year before, but he looked great and then didn't catch a ball all year.

Crayton cannot be a WR1 so get that out of your mind. He's a marginal NFL WR2, a much better slot guy where he has made a living. Austin ahs actually caught TDs in the regular season and looked good doing it. Hurd would a long shot IMO but I honestly believe Dallas will make a few quick phone calls, they are not going to roll with what they have...not with the new stadium and everyone of their fans having big expectations this year.

What WRs are out there? Harrison is so old and if he couldn't make it work with Peyton who he has had throwing to him for over 10 years...I ahve to believe he is way over the hill at this point. matt Jones might actually be able to stay with the team for awhile.

Paging Matt Jones
Paging Matt Jones
It sure does seem like a scary good fit on many levels, doesn't it?
It does. Better than Crayton or Hurd. Have the Cowboys publicly spoken about Jones recently at all?
I thought I remember Jerry saying he wasn't interested but I could be wrong... but...Things the Cowboys need:

Big, athletic WR? Check

Other qualities Jerry Jones Likes:

Off the field issues? Check

Arkansas Alumni? Check

This really sucks. Now we're gonna have to rehash the whole "but look how good Roy Williams is on a ppg basis" next year. When will it ever end?

I could see Dallas making a move for Marshall. Jones would be a nice fit also.

Hurds last couple of preseasons don't really matter because they had a decent core and he has made his major strides this off season. If thrown into action Hurd or Austin may blossom under pressure.

per Bloom and PFT on Twitter, Roy Williams might not have a broken collarbone (a dif. source)

Are we sure it's a broken collarbone? 6-8 weeks? I really would think Roy is useless at that point...6-8 weeks, let's say he could start running about week 5 of the season, he might be able to go by week 7 or 8 but he just went form 5th round to almost undraftable. Crayton likely goes fro 15th round to maybe somewhere in the high single digits...8th/9th.

I could see Dallas making a move for Marshall. Jones would be a nice fit also.Hurds last couple of preseasons don't really matter because they had a decent core and he has made his major strides this off season. If thrown into action Hurd or Austin may blossom under pressure.
Trading for Marshall is a much bigger move then signing matt Jones plus they have $45 million and draft picks locked up with Roy...this is Joey Galloway all over again.

The Eagles have a bunch of receivers..... :goodposting: Maybe DeSean Jackson for Witten? :shrug: j/k
I know you're kidding about DJ but... it's possible they trade for Reggie Brown for depth. Or Baskett.Same division though... hmmm... maybe not.

Drop the Cowboy running backs a couple of notches. With no outside threat and Witten clearly being the best receiving option, defenses will be able to key more on the middle of the field, causing there to be more defenders in the box to stop the run.

Maybe no broken collarbone.. PFT is now reporting that it may not be a broken collarbone, same with the Dallas Morning News.

I could see Dallas making a move for Marshall. Jones would be a nice fit also.Hurds last couple of preseasons don't really matter because they had a decent core and he has made his major strides this off season. If thrown into action Hurd or Austin may blossom under pressure.
No doubt that this is the way to go for Dallas.

Title needs changed until confirmation...people are having heart attacks right now and its all speculation...in fact we have reports that x-rays are now negative.

Users who are viewing this thread