What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ryan Tannehill (2 Viewers)

'MAC_32 said:
And correct me if I'm wrong but most people that criticized the Cam Newton pick, myself included, were more concerned about the neck up as opposed to the neck down. As far as the neck up is concerned I don't think last year disproved his naysayers. I still have doubts.
What?
I don't trust his head, if I trusted his head I'd have invested last year. He's the type that I won't buy into until it's too late. I just can't stomach dealing with potential head cases at the QB position. Last year didn't do much to change my opinion, now that there are expectations for the team I'm curious to see how he handles this year.

'MAC_32 said:
And correct me if I'm wrong but most people that criticized the Cam Newton pick, myself included, were more concerned about the neck up as opposed to the neck down. As far as the neck up is concerned I don't think last year disproved his naysayers. I still have doubts.
What?
I don't trust his head, if I trusted his head I'd have invested last year. He's the type that I won't buy into until it's too late. I just can't stomach dealing with potential head cases at the QB position. Last year didn't do much to change my opinion, now that there are expectations for the team I'm curious to see how he handles this year. I think you're too late.
I don't know what "type" you're referring to, and I don't know why you're referring to him as a "potential head case." But I'm pretty sure 32 NFL teams don't share your opinion of him today.

'MAC_32 said:
What?
I don't trust his head, if I trusted his head I'd have invested last year. He's the type that I won't buy into until it's too late. I just can't stomach dealing with potential head cases at the QB position. Last year didn't do much to change my opinion, now that there are expectations for the team I'm curious to see how he handles this year. I think you're too late.
I don't know what "type" you're referring to, and I don't know why you're referring to him as a "potential head case." But I'm pretty sure 32 NFL teams don't share your opinion of him today.
32 other NFL teams don't manage my team. I can't get out of my head all the idiotic stuff he has done since getting to college. As I said above, if I ever buy in it will be way after he has proven all of his naysayers wrong. He's the type of risk I'd take on if I could get him cheap enough to pair with a safer low ceiling guys like Matt Ryan, but his current owner's won't do that nor will he drop that far on draft day.I just think there are better risks to take.

Instead of making this thread labeled Ryan Tannenhill about Charlie Casserly or Cam Newton lets get back to center and talk about Tannenhill.

Just look at the tape and you see a guy with undeniable athleticism and mobility and he has a decent enough arm but he simply does not look comfortable in the pocket. As Lammey would say, look at his feet, they are all over the place.

He doesn't look like a normal quarterback because when he drops back he is all over the place. In my eyes it is not a physical malady like Bernie Kosar's awkward style of dropping back to pass which was based on him being soo slow pulling back away from center and very slow feet and its not a 'style-thang' ALA Phil Rivers throwing motion which is just his 'style' of throwing which works for him.

I see sloppy footwork but I think the sloppy footwork is a symptom of him just not feeling comfortable in the pocket. It seems to me that he reverts back to being a WR when he is on the field.

QBs who have never played any other position drop back in a natural manner, they don't have WR instincts that kick-in that Tannenhill displays. It may be corrctable but I do not see a natural QB with Ryan Tannenhill when he drops back. I see a WR who feels uncomfortable in the pocket.

I can understand why scouts would see rare athleticism and think what a weapon he could be with WR skills but he's supposed to be a QB and I do not see QB skills when he's in the pocket. I see a guy who doesn't feel comfortable in the pocket and I'm not sure he'll ever be able to overcome the WR instincts that kick-in when he's got defenders coming at him and his body is reacting like a WR looking for a seam to run with the ball after catching it instead of a QB who should be thinking of dropping back and setting his feet and calmly moving up in the pocket.

Scouts might be thinking 'oh he's a bit rough right now but he just has to learn his drops and to set his feet' but I think the issue is that he will have to UN-LEARN the WR instincts that were drilled into, not just his head, but his body reacts before he has a chance to think what his feet are doing so I think he really needs to sit for a long time before he sees the field.

That is why I think it would be a mistake for a team in the top-ten to take him because they would be forced to start him sooner than he would be ready. I think the best thing is if a team with a decent but older starter would somehow land him and use kid gloves to cultivate him and the first thing I would do is try to break him of those enticing WR skills before I would try to hone any QB skills he has.

Oh and I really do not like his ability to pull the trigger. He hesitates and allows DBs to get a break on deep balls. So I would never take him in the top-ten. I have doubts about him that I can't shake.

Instead of making this thread labeled Ryan Tannenhill about Charlie Casserly or Cam Newton lets get back to center and talk about Tannenhill.

Just look at the tape and you see a guy with undeniable athleticism and mobility and he has a decent enough arm but he simply does not look comfortable in the pocket. As Lammey would say, look at his feet, they are all over the place.

He doesn't look like a normal quarterback because when he drops back he is all over the place. In my eyes it is not a physical malady like Bernie Kosar's awkward style of dropping back to pass which was based on him being soo slow pulling back away from center and very slow feet and its not a 'style-thang' ALA Phil Rivers throwing motion which is just his 'style' of throwing which works for him.

I see sloppy footwork but I think the sloppy footwork is a symptom of him just not feeling comfortable in the pocket. It seems to me that he reverts back to being a WR when he is on the field.

QBs who have never played any other position drop back in a natural manner, they don't have WR instincts that kick-in that Tannenhill displays. It may be corrctable but I do not see a natural QB with Ryan Tannenhill when he drops back. I see a WR who feels uncomfortable in the pocket.

I can understand why scouts would see rare athleticism and think what a weapon he could be with WR skills but he's supposed to be a QB and I do not see QB skills when he's in the pocket. I see a guy who doesn't feel comfortable in the pocket and I'm not sure he'll ever be able to overcome the WR instincts that kick-in when he's got defenders coming at him and his body is reacting like a WR looking for a seam to run with the ball after catching it instead of a QB who should be thinking of dropping back and setting his feet and calmly moving up in the pocket.

Scouts might be thinking 'oh he's a bit rough right now but he just has to learn his drops and to set his feet' but I think the issue is that he will have to UN-LEARN the WR instincts that were drilled into, not just his head, but his body reacts before he has a chance to think what his feet are doing so I think he really needs to sit for a long time before he sees the field.

That is why I think it would be a mistake for a team in the top-ten to take him because they would be forced to start him sooner than he would be ready. I think the best thing is if a team with a decent but older starter would somehow land him and use kid gloves to cultivate him and the first thing I would do is try to break him of those enticing WR skills before I would try to hone any QB skills he has.

Oh and I really do not like his ability to pull the trigger. He hesitates and allows DBs to get a break on deep balls. So I would never take him in the top-ten. I have doubts about him that I can't shake.
I'm confused. Are you saying he has WR instincts that kick in when he's in the pocket?

I'm confused. Are you saying he has WR instincts that kick in when he's in the pocket?
That is what I see when he drops back. He looks awkward and that is why we've gotten so many strange comparisons with Tannenhill. It is because he doesn't fit into any QB box so these strange comparisons with QBs who had awkward styles or where they had a physical weakness that forced them into an awkward style is used.I don't think the issue with his awkward passing style is due to any physical weakness, in fact I give him ample credit for superior athleticism and mobility. I do not think his awkwardness is a style thing either.I think that since he was moved to WR he picked up WR skills and they pop-up when he drops back in the pocket. I thnk that is why he looks soo awkard in the pocket.I also don't like his ability to pull the trigger.Don't take anyone's word for it since the pndits and draftnics are getting bashed.Just go to U-TUBE and take a look for yourself.

If barkley was around. Tannenhill wouldnt b getting this undeservee first round hype
If Barkley were around there would be a bidding war for the Vikings pick between Cleveland and Miami. The loser would settle for Tannehill later in the 1st, which would be much more in line with his value imho. My guess would be Cleveland ponies up their 2 #1's and that would be enough to get it done then Miami looks to trade up from their 2 using the picks acquired in the Marshall trade to get Tannehill.

Brandt: Browns, Bills, Eagles intrigued by Tannehill

By Marc Sessler NFL.com

Writer

NFL.com draft guru Gil Brandt spoke Saturday of the growing interest in Ryan Tannehill. With Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III slated to go first and second overall in this month's draft, the Texas A&M quarterback has become a central figure of intrigue.

Brandt confirmed Tannehill will meet with the Cleveland Browns on Sunday into Monday before departing for a Tuesday visit with the Buffalo Bills.

Tannehill traveled to Indianapolis this week, where roughly 40 college prospects gathered for post-combine medical re-checks. Brandt told me Tannehill's foot, which he broke during a workout in January, checked out fine.

Looking toward the draft, Brandt doesn't see Tannehill failling past Miami at No. 8, and accepts a popular theory about the Dolphins possibly trading up to grab him. Another team in the mix, the Philadelphia Eagles, worked out Tannehill in College Station, Texas, on the heels of his March 29 pro day. Brandt doesn't see a smokescreen here. Andy Reid and Co. are an interested party.

Meanwhile, Cleveland remains a genuine possibility at No. 4. I asked Brandt if the Browns believe their own words about surrounding starter Colt McCoy with weapons.

"They believe that if they put enough good people around Colt McCoy, that he can do it," Brandt said. "And I think the same, but there's several thoughts here. It's very seldom you get the opportunity to select a franchise quarterback. With that said, I think you have to go out and get a guy if you can."

Brandt told of his days as general manager of the Dallas Cowboys, when the team housed starter Don Meredith but drafted Craig Morton with the fifth overall pick in 1965. His second example: Despite the presence of Joe Montana, the 49ers didn't shy away from trading for Steve Young in 1987.

Brandt closed by saying, "I see too much upside in (Tannehill)."

His second example: Despite the presence of Joe Montana, the 49ers didn't shy away from trading for Steve Young in 1987.
Montana missed half of the season in 1986 and was injured in the first half of their first playoff game against the Giants. His backup, Jeff Kemp, entered the game with the score 21-3 in favor of the Giants and it ended 49-3. That's why they needed a better backup to Montana and got him for a late 2nd and 4th.

'EBF said:
I'm always leery of late-risers.If he's so good, where were all these plaudits during the season when he was...you know...actually playing football?Just seems like another guy who's moving up because he looks like a player in shorts and a t-shirt. Decent college career, but really nothing there to make you think top 15 pick. This feels like Flacco/Freeman all over again.
Both Flacco and Freeman will be worth their pick. They've had some downs, but some pretty serious ups as well.

'EBF said:
I'm always leery of late-risers.If he's so good, where were all these plaudits during the season when he was...you know...actually playing football?Just seems like another guy who's moving up because he looks like a player in shorts and a t-shirt. Decent college career, but really nothing there to make you think top 15 pick. This feels like Flacco/Freeman all over again.
Both Flacco and Freeman will be worth their pick. They've had some downs, but some pretty serious ups as well.
True, but that is usually the best-case scenario for this type of QB prospect. A guy like Kyler Boller or Jason Campbell offers a more damning potential outcome.My feeling with QBs is that who they are in college is usually the same as who they'll be in the pros. This is especially true in terms of mental traits/tendencies. Tannehill strikes me as a Flacco or Campbell type. Mediocre mental talent paired with top 10 physical tools. It's enough to get him drafted high and it might be enough to have a decent pro career, but it's tough to envision a guy like this becoming a Pro Bowl type, whereas Griffin and Luck both seem to possess that innate potential. So for me he probably falls somewhere between Campbell and Flacco on the career expectancy chart. That doesn't do much for me from a FF perspective, although it wouldn't be such a bad proposition for a QB-less franchise like the Dolphins, Cardinals, or Browns.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that since he was moved to WR he picked up WR skills and they pop-up when he drops back in the pocket.
I think you're going to have to be a little more specific.Some analysts are praising Tannehill's pocket presence and ability to make subtle adjustments to the rush to find angles and climb the pocket while keeping his eyes downfield.

I think it was Waldman that broke down a specific play on the RSP blog highlighting this. He also highlighted, in great detail, other QB skills he utilized like pump fakes and going through his progressions.

Can we get an illustration of these "WR skills" that are hindering his play?

I seem to recall last season a lot of talk about some guy named Gabbert being the first QB off the board That worked out well

'bonesman said:
I think that since he was moved to WR he picked up WR skills and they pop-up when he drops back in the pocket.
I think you're going to have to be a little more specific.Some analysts are praising Tannehill's pocket presence and ability to make subtle adjustments to the rush to find angles and climb the pocket while keeping his eyes downfield.

I think it was Waldman that broke down a specific play on the RSP blog highlighting this. He also highlighted, in great detail, other QB skills he utilized like pump fakes and going through his progressions.

I point out something that will prevent him from what I feel will prevent him from developing good pocket presence. Even Tannenhill's most ardent supporters are saying the same thing, he's raw and needs time to DEVELOP.

I see a flaw where I believe its not a matter of having a guy who has QB skills that need to be developed.

I think he's been drilled and honed as a WR.

I'm not about to go do research for others. I've done mine and made my conclusions and shared them. I don't expect you to believe me so do your own research and take a look at the guy when he's got pressure coming at him.

Instead of deftly moving up in the pocket, ALA Tom Brady who makes it look easy or a Petyon Manning or a Drew Brees, this guy's footwork goes cablooey. He DOES keep his eyes up as he scrambles but he leaves the pocket. He doesn't move up or escape pressure with ease he reverts into WR mode IMHO where he takes off like a jack rabbit in the face of pressure. I don't see deer-in-head-lights, I see a WR who has just caught a ball and feels DBs closing in and he's looking for the sidelines.

He makes many of his mistakes in two areas, one is on deeper routes and the second is after he's gotten out of the pocket and is looking downfield waiting for a receiver to seperate, that is when he hesitates to pull the trigger on those slow developing plays.

Waldman pointed out that Tannenhill keeps his eyes up and is looking downfield instead of looking down trying to find a seam to run and that he'll continue to look downfield and that he'll make plays under pressure, all true and good but I'm talking about what happens at the very first sign of pressure and how guys like a, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, didn't have those WRs instincts where their first instinct wasn't to take off out of the pocket.

They feel the pressure but they don't react like WRs, they side-step and move-up in the pocket, they don't react and take-off. I understand where scouts look at the athletic skills and the mobility and think that is great. It is but its a two-edged sword IMHO because this particular guy was trained as a WR and his first instinct under pressure is like a WR who is about to get hit so he's looking to take off. He does keep his eyes up but I think his WR insticts are going to hinder him.

I also really hate his inability to pull the trigger. Its bad. That alone gives me the heebie jeebies but I would take him as a second or third round long-range project if I didn't have to start him and had time to break him of those WR instincts.

I've said my piece on this subject a few times and can't make it any clearer.

Don't take my word, go see for yourself.

'bonesman said:

I point out something that will prevent him from what I feel will prevent him from developing good pocket presence. Even Tannenhill's most ardent supporters are saying the same thing, he's raw and needs time to DEVELOP.

I see a flaw where I believe its not a matter of having a guy who has QB skills that need to be developed.

I think he's been drilled and honed as a WR.

I'm not about to go do research for others. I've done mine and made my conclusions and shared them. I don't expect you to believe me so do your own research and take a look at the guy when he's got pressure coming at him.

Instead of deftly moving up in the pocket, ALA Tom Brady who makes it look easy or a Petyon Manning or a Drew Brees, this guy's footwork goes cablooey. He DOES keep his eyes up as he scrambles but he leaves the pocket. He doesn't move up or escape pressure with ease he reverts into WR mode IMHO where he takes off like a jack rabbit in the face of pressure. I don't see deer-in-head-lights, I see a WR who has just caught a ball and feels DBs closing in and he's looking for the sidelines.

He makes many of his mistakes in two areas, one is on deeper routes and the second is after he's gotten out of the pocket and is looking downfield waiting for a receiver to seperate, that is when he hesitates to pull the trigger on those slow developing plays.

Waldman pointed out that Tannenhill keeps his eyes up and is looking downfield instead of looking down trying to find a seam to run and that he'll continue to look downfield and that he'll make plays under pressure, all true and good but I'm talking about what happens at the very first sign of pressure and how guys like a, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, didn't have those WRs instincts where their first instinct wasn't to take off out of the pocket.

They feel the pressure but they don't react like WRs, they side-step and move-up in the pocket, they don't react and take-off. I understand where scouts look at the athletic skills and the mobility and think that is great. It is but its a two-edged sword IMHO because this particular guy was trained as a WR and his first instinct under pressure is like a WR who is about to get hit so he's looking to take off. He does keep his eyes up but I think his WR insticts are going to hinder him.

I also really hate his inability to pull the trigger. Its bad. That alone gives me the heebie jeebies but I would take him as a second or third round long-range project if I didn't have to start him and had time to break him of those WR instincts.

I've said my piece on this subject a few times and can't make it any clearer.

Don't take my word, go see for yourself.
Sorry, but I have to disagree with the point that he's raw. That's a term people use to say he only started 19 games and played a different position for much of his career. However, what a lot of people don't realize is that Ryan Tannehill came TAMU as a QB. He was in QB meetings throughout his career - even as the starting WR. He was ALWAYS a QB first. Cam Newton played fewer games at a Div-I level as a QB than Tannehill and didn't even play in a pro style offense. Sanchez I believe have fewer starts as well.You really need to check out my studies on him again in the pocket because he's better in the pocket in terms of his presence than any QB in this draft. He does way more than keep his eyes down field, he knows how to slide and climb the pocket. Taking off to run is not his first instinct in most situations and I don't know what you're seeing with footwork, because with what I've seen he has very good footwork. In most situations I've seen under pressure, he keeps his feet under him so he can deliver the ball with good torque, which generates good velocity and timing on his throws. The exact reason I like Tannehill is because his ability to maneuver the pocket reminds me of the elite quarterbacks you mentioned with one difference - he's better on the move than Manning or Brady. Greg Cosell, who also watches a ton of tape, also agrees that Tannehill has terrific pocket presence and makes the position look easy.

If you want to see a player rush to take off with kablooey footwork, RGIII actually does that more often - and I'd say he has shown good moments of pocket presence on the whole. He's just most likely to both fly the coop too quickly and without good pacing or hang until the last second, and then try something reactionary and take a huge hit in the process. He fits your description of Tannehill better than Tannehill, IMO.

He needs to see more opportunities against complex defenses he'll see in the NFL. So does every QB ever drafted...Does he make some dumb throws? Sure. So did Cutler, Stafford, Brady, Brees, Romo, and several other good quarterbacks when they were young and in situations where they were playing from behind and trying to make a play and pressed too hard to do so.

Managing the Pocket Part II

Part I

One thing that stands out watching Tannehill is his lack of deep passes. How many passes over 20 yards in the air did he complete?

One thing that stands out watching Tannehill is his lack of deep passes. How many passes over 20 yards in the air did he complete?
Not enough, and I think he threw plenty of deep balls. It's just not consistent. At all. Touch comes with time so you can't say he won't ever be able to throw a good deep ball but it's another item on the laundry list that needs to be developed.Key word, developed. This is why he is not a 1st round prospect.

I think any NFL team drafting Tannehill better hope he is raw, because if he's close to reaching his peak potential he leaves a lot to be desired. I completely understand Waldman and McShay from ESPN's argument that Tannehill looks and does a lot of things like a NFL QB would; and after watching some clips of him on youtube I even agree with that. But at some point, you need to see production (imo), and Tannehill hasn't provided that yet, and because of that I wouldn't touch him in the first round. A completion percentage of 61.6% leaves a lot to be desired considering he was playing in a west coast offense against relatively weak defenses in the Big12 and his teammates were likely above average in the conference. And his very low YPA of 7.1 suggests he doesn't make up for the lack of success by hitting many long passes. I find it also worrying that his stats against even mediocre defenses are worse than the 61.6% CMP% and 7.1 YPA marks.

I won't argue with those who say he looks every bit the part and can do a lot of things that NFL QBs are required to do, but that alone shouldn't ensure he's a first round pick, yet alone a top 5 pick. In my opinion of course.

Tannehill, quarterbacks and rolling the dice

By Mike Sando | ESPN.com

A recent back-and-forth between ESPN's Todd McShay and Mel Kiper Jr. regarding Texas A&M's Ryan Tannehill pointed to the educated guesswork that goes into evaluating quarterbacks for the NFL draft.

Does anyone really know how these prospects will turn out? The answer is 'no' because many factors beyond a player's talent influence the course of his NFL career.

Back to Tannehill.

"There is a reason he is going to be, most likely, a top 10 pick," McShay said in the video above. "He has the size, the arm, the athleticism. He gets the ball out quickly, has a very good sense in the pocket, throws very accurately on the run to both sides. The only thing he's missing, in my opinion right now, is more experience and understanding game decisions."

How Tannehill gets that needed experience -- over time, right away, and under which coaches -- will be a critical factor. These variables are already affecting the 2011 quarterback class, listed in the chart.

"Yeah, he's going to be overdrafted, he's been overhyped by McShay and others, but the bottom line is, he should be a mid-to-late first, he's going to go in the top five, maybe, at worst top eight, and we'll see what happens," Kiper said of Tannehill. "I think how he's handled at Miami, if he goes there, will determine his fate."

NFC West teams head into the 2012 NFL draft with their starting quarterbacks under contract, for better or worse.

Sam Bradford will start for the St. Louis Rams. Matt Flynn or Tarvaris Jackson will start for the Seattle Seahawks. Kevin Kolb or John Skelton will start for the Arizona Cardinals. Alex Smith will start for the San Francisco 49ers, with Colin Kaepernick trying to push him for the job.

Tannehill probably isn't coming to the NFC West unless he slips outside the top 10, at which point Seattle (picking 12th) and Arizona (13th) would have decisions to make. Would they consider Tannehill, or might they trade down, acquiring additional picks from a team with stronger interest in the quarterback?

Think that would be an easy decision?

Seattle had a similar one last year and decided against selecting Andy Dalton with the 25th overall choice. When Cincinnati drafted Dalton at No. 35, the 49ers traded up to select Kaepernick one pick later. With that, NFL teams had drafted six quarterbacks among the top 36 choices, including four among the top 12 -- leaps of faith in just about every case.

Tannehill grabs the spotlight, but is Weeden better?

By Marc Sessler NFL.com

Writer

Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay called Ryan Tannehill the "quiet secret" of this month's draft, but unless you've been trapped in a basement for the past 60 days, the secret is out.

With the fate of Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III all but certain, Tannehill is climbing in mock drafts from east to west. He's not the third-best player in this draft, but he's widely seen as the third-best quarterback.

"This is one of the more intriguing stories of the 2012 draft," former Denver Broncos general manager Ted Sundquist said on NFL Network last month. "... I feel like, to a certain degree, Ryan Tannehill has been pushed up artificially by the media and some of the pundits."

Last season, rookie quarterbacks Cam Newton and Andy Dalton started immediately. But Tannehill won't be able to do that, according to comments by NFL Network's Mike Mayock this week. "Do I think he's ready to play, snap one? No, I do not. I think he's a full year away," Mayock said.

Meanwhile, we have Oklahoma State's Brandon Weeden, perceived as a quarterback who's ready to roll. The knock on Weeden? He's 28 years old, so tucking him away behind a legitimate starter doesn't fly. For teams seeking immediate help, Weeden is praised for his size, arm strength and leadership on the field. We can think of a few teams in need of all three.

"I've seen Weeden -- in a few tough situations -- be large," NFL Network's Charles Davis said this month. "I thought that down the stretch last year, when they played Texas A&M and had to make their comeback on the road, he helped get that done. I thought in the Orange Bowl game, against Stanford, down the stretch, I thought he played large. I think the kid's got something there.

"I also would like to see him challenge Tannehill, just because I think they are similar guys, if you took away the age deal -- and I know you can't do that."

Tannehill's all the rage, but Weeden might be the first to make an impact in the NFL. If Weeden can come in and give a team five-plus productive seasons, that would be something that in itself is hard to find in this league. Perhaps Weeden might be a wiser choice for a handful of teams searching for an answer at quarterback.

2012 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Ryan Tannehill

Ryan Tannehill, 6-4/221

Quarterback

Texas A&M

Ryan Tannehill Scouting Report

By Charlie Campbell

Strengths:

[*]Good arm strength

[*]Quick release

[*]Accurate thrower

[*]Good mechanics

[*]Plus field vision

[*]Extremely mobile with scrambling ability

[*]Can pick up critical yards with his feet

[*]Accuracy potential throwing downfield

[*]Good fit for NFL offenses

[*]Intelligent

[*]Hard worker

[*]Leader

[*]Passionate for the game

[*]Good teammate without an ego

[*]Opens up mismatches for teammates with dual-threat nature

[*]Quality wide receiver

[*]Versatile athlete; could stay on the field in a wildcat at QB or WR

[*]High-character individual

Weaknesses:

[*]Needs to improve his anticipation

[*]Ball security; interceptions and fumbles

[*]Has small hands

[*]Only 19 collegiate starts, 20 games at quarterback

Summary: Tannehill is one of the most hotly debated prospects in the 2012 NFL Draft. He is the consensus third-rated quarterback behind Stanford's Andrew Luck and Baylor's Robert Griffin III. Like those two signal-callers, Tannehill is an excellent athlete who has a good arm. He has the physical skill set of a first-round quarterback.

The drawback to Tannehill is a lack of experience. He started out his collegiate career at wide receiver. In Tannehill's interview with WalterFootball.com, he revealed that he always attended the quarterback meetings and was the backup quarterback while playing wide out. However, the Aggies needed Tannehill's athletic ability to contribute to the offense.

Tannehill started out the 2010 season at receiver with 11 receptions for 143 yards and a touchdown in six games. He moved to quarterback midway through the year. In his first collegiate start at quarterback, Tannehill completed 36-of-50 passes for 449 yards and four touchdowns with one interception against Texas Tech. He remained the starter from then on. Tannehill made 65 percent of his passes for 1,638 yards with 13 touchdowns and six interceptions in seven games at quarterback in 2010.

As a senior in 2011, Tannehill had some massive games. He also had some bad performances in the second half of contests that contributed to the Aggies blowing big leads, and thereby losing games, to Oklahoma State and Arkansas. Tannehill also threw three interceptions per game against Oklahoma State, Oklahoma and Texas. Tannehill completed 62 percent of his passes for 3,744 yards with 29 touchdowns and 15 interceptions for the season. He also ran for 355 yards with four more scores.

Foot surgery kept Tannehill out of the Senior Bowl and the NFL Scouting Combine. He is nearing 100 percent and is working out without restrictions. Tannehill has been getting tutored well by former NFL quarterback Chris Weinke at IMG Academies in Bradenton, Fla. Weinke worked with Cam Newton throughout 2011 during the lockout and helped the Panther quarterback lay the foundation to hit the ground running in the NFL. Newton has returned to IMG this offseason to practice with Weinke and Tannehill.

Aside from Newton, Tannehill got good preparation for the NFL from his former head coach at A&M, Mike Sherman. Tannehill did a good job of running Sherman's West Coast offense. The former Packers head coach Sherman was fired at the end of the season and now is the offensive coordinator with the Miami Dolphins. Tannehill looks like a good fit for the West Coast offense in the NFL.

Tannehill has a strong arm with the potential to grow into an accurate passer. The senior also has rare mobility. He still needs to make up for a lot of lost playing time to learn the mental necessities of the position. It may best for Tannehill to be brought along slowly with a lot of practice time before being made the starter.

Steadily, draft pundits are pushing Tannehill into the top half of the first round and the top 10. Many believe that he grades out as a second-round pick, but the demand for quarterbacks in the NFL pushes him into the first round. Tannehill has the physical skill set to be an effective starting quarterback in the NFL.

Player Comparison: Rich Gannon. In watching Tannehill during the 2011 season, I was reminded of Gannon when he was playing well. In his peak years with the Oakland Raiders, Gannon was a force who could rip a defense through the air but also pick up some critical third downs with his feet. Tannehill has a skill set and style like Gannon. If Tannehill lands in the right spot, and is developed well, he could turn into a quarterback who is comparable to the 2002 NFL MVP.

NFL Matches: Cleveland, Miami, Kansas City, Philadelphia

The top two teams that are likely to land Tannehill are the Browns and Dolphins. Both franchises were unable to land a definitive starting quarterback thus far in the offseason. Cleveland tried to trade up for Robert Griffin III, and there have been some rumors that the Miami did as well.

Browns coach Pat Shurmur thinks highly of Tannehill, while Sherman is now the offensive coordinator of the Dolphins. Cleveland could take Tannehill with the fourth-overall pick, but if it passes on him, Miami could grab him with the eighth pick. If Tannehill falls past both the Browns and the Dolphins, Cleveland could consider trading up for him via their pick at No. 22. The Browns also could hope that he makes to that selection.

If the Browns and Dolphins pass on Tannehill, the next team that could select him would be the Chiefs. They don't have a long-term starter and need a difference-maker at quarterback. The Eagles, at No. 15, always look to land quarterback talent. Michael Vick turns 32 this year, so Philadelphia could groom Tannehill for a year or two while Vick finishes out his career. Tannehill would be Andy Reid's ticket to an extension.

Ryan Tannehill, QB

Latest News

04/09/2012 - 2012 NFL COMBINE MEDICAL RECHECK: QB Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M (6-4, 221): After breaking a bone in his right foot, Tannehill couldn't participate in the Senior Bowl or combine and missed the Aggies' pro day in early March. He had surgery and was even forced to limp down the aisle with crutches during his wedding in January. Tannehill was finally able to get on the field on March 29 for a workout in College Station and looked good throwing off that foot and running a 4.58 40-yard dash. He is expected to be selected in the top 12. - Frank Cooney, NFLDraftScout.com

Overview

Tannehill arrived in College Station as one of the top dual-threat quarterback prospects in the nation, but showed an exceptional team-first attitude by switching to receiver. When Jerrod Johnson struggled early in the 2010 season due to injury, however, Tannehill stepped in and led the team to six straight wins.

Tannehill was a productive receiver who led the team in receptions for his first two seasons. But he saw action at quarterback in 2009 and took over as the starter in 2010. That?s when he started to really catch the eye of NFL scouts. He closed his career with 5,450 passing yards and 42 touchdowns.

He is still raw and needs to continue to improve at reading defenses and completing passes to keep the chains moving. But Tannehill possesses a tantalizing combination of size, intelligence, arm strength and mobile. With Southern Cal's Matt Barkley and Oklahoma's Landry Jones returning to school, Tannehill is a likely first-round pick.

Analysis

Accuracy: Very good accuracy in the short passing game, puts ball on the numbers or in a place where receiver can make a play after the catch, even when throwing off his back foot. Quite accurate making plays on the run, squares his shoulders throwing in either direction, has deft touch but also puts some zip on shorter to intermediate throws and places the ball to the outside. Hits open receivers in stride downfield. Generally throws a nice fade to the outside, will underthrow when trying to put too much air under the pass. Makes intermediate throws to the short side of the field, but too often sails throws over the middle or to the sideline from the pocket.

Arm Strength: Possesses an NFL arm. Gets the ball from one hash to the opposite sideline in a hurry. Has the zip to hit tight windows on short and intermediate throws. Tight spiral aids velocity. Flips the ball 20-30 yards downfield on the run.

Setup/Release: Inconsistent release, at times flipping the ball out quickly like Philip Rivers and winding up on other throws. Height and tall, balanced posture in pocket makes it easy to survey the field. Splits time between shotgun and coming out from under center. Takes extra steps in his drop at times. Feels interior pressure too quickly, throws off back foot when unnecessary (though it's still accurate). Pats ball to keep rhythm. Delivery gets a bit sidearm, allows linemen to knock down throws. Not practiced stepping up into the pocket to find room to throw.

Reading Defenses: Sees the field very well when the play breaks down and occasionally changes plays at the line, but needs work recognizing coverages. Will throw his man into a defender, resulting in big hits. Also needs to be cognizant of blitzes and outside pressure, puts himself (and the ball) in danger too often by failing to see late comers and secondary rush. Sells play fake and is patient enough to look to one side of the field before going to primary option on misdirection plays. Stares down receivers too often, NFL-caliber defenders close on his passes to create turnovers.

On the Move: Excellent mobility for his size, not surprising given his success at receiver. Regularly used on bootlegs (with good urgency on play fake) to either side of the formation take advantage of his athleticism. Presses the line running to his left, puts himself into the arms of defenders. Good touch on underneath throws when plays break down. Won't get the corner as easily against NFL defenders, but has the quickness to get chunks of yardage on naked bootlegs and when lanes open in man coverage. Watches the pressure and flushes a bit early, but once in the open he looks for downfield targets. Tough player, but takes too many hits downfield on zone-read plays and scrambles, must learn to slide. Height and slight build bring durability concerns.

Intangibles: Intelligent prospect who is very good student, a regular on first-team Academic All-Big 12 squad who hopes to one day become an orthopedic surgeon. Team player who reveled in the chance to compete on the field at receiver instead of transferring once losing the quarterback battle. Father played quarterback at Texas Tech. Occasional pooch punter.

--Chad Reuter

Tannehill grabs the spotlight, but is Weeden better?

By Marc Sessler NFL.com

Writer

Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay called Ryan Tannehill the "quiet secret" of this month's draft, but unless you've been trapped in a basement for the past 60 days, the secret is out.

With the fate of Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III all but certain, Tannehill is climbing in mock drafts from east to west. He's not the third-best player in this draft, but he's widely seen as the third-best quarterback.

"This is one of the more intriguing stories of the 2012 draft," former Denver Broncos general manager Ted Sundquist said on NFL Network last month. "... I feel like, to a certain degree, Ryan Tannehill has been pushed up artificially by the media and some of the pundits."

Last season, rookie quarterbacks Cam Newton and Andy Dalton started immediately. But Tannehill won't be able to do that, according to comments by NFL Network's Mike Mayock this week. "Do I think he's ready to play, snap one? No, I do not. I think he's a full year away," Mayock said.

Meanwhile, we have Oklahoma State's Brandon Weeden, perceived as a quarterback who's ready to roll. The knock on Weeden? He's 28 years old, so tucking him away behind a legitimate starter doesn't fly. For teams seeking immediate help, Weeden is praised for his size, arm strength and leadership on the field. We can think of a few teams in need of all three.

"I've seen Weeden -- in a few tough situations -- be large," NFL Network's Charles Davis said this month. "I thought that down the stretch last year, when they played Texas A&M and had to make their comeback on the road, he helped get that done. I thought in the Orange Bowl game, against Stanford, down the stretch, I thought he played large. I think the kid's got something there.

"I also would like to see him challenge Tannehill, just because I think they are similar guys, if you took away the age deal -- and I know you can't do that."

Tannehill's all the rage, but Weeden might be the first to make an impact in the NFL. If Weeden can come in and give a team five-plus productive seasons, that would be something that in itself is hard to find in this league. Perhaps Weeden might be a wiser choice for a handful of teams searching for an answer at quarterback.
Teams who need a QB shouldn't be afraid of drafting Wheeden. The window on his career is short, but the team would be getting a mature QB who should be ready to start at the cost of a 2nd round pick salary.

Teams who need a QB shouldn't be afraid of drafting Wheeden. The window on his career is short, but the team would be getting a mature QB who should be ready to start at the cost of a 2nd round pick salary.
Weeden played in a spread offense while Tannehill played in a pro-style offense. I believe they both need a year on the bench.

Weeden played in a spread offense while Tannehill played in a pro-style offense. I believe they both need a year on the bench.
:goodposting: There's a lot fundamentally wrong with Weeden's game, he needs development too. It's why he shouldn't be picked before at least the 3rd.

I sure wish I had a chart of the number of college starts by each NFL starting QB. That data is really hard to find.

Tannehill is going to screw up a lot of mock drafts because he's going to go in the top 10 somewhere and no amount of wailing or gnashing of teeth or threats of public masturbation by that team's fans (I'm talking to you Browns and Dolphins fans) can do about it. The only question is "Where?".

Report SI.com : Seahawks smitten with Ryan Tannehill

In his MMQB column Monday morning, SI's Peter King was adamant that the Seahawks will select Texas A&M QB Ryan Tannehill if he is available with the 12th overall pick in the draft.

"You can write this down," says King. "If Tannehill were to be there at 12, Seattle would take him." Per King, teams around the league are well aware of the Seahawks' affinity for Tannehill, and a quarterback-needy club might be inclined to trade up to No. 11 to get in front of Seattle if Tannehill fell. "At Tannehill's workout," one source told King, "(Seahawks coach) Pete Carroll was giggling like a schoolgirl watching him throw. His attitude was like, 'What are we even doing here? He'll never be there for us."

The Browns have 13 picks. THIRTEEN!

I know the fanbase wouldn't like it but I still maintain that they should bypass Richardson/Claiborne at #4 and take Tannehill.

Then at #22 take BPA of WR/RB/DE. Then trade up into the later part of the 1st for whatever need is most glaring beyond that.

The Browns have 13 picks. THIRTEEN!I know the fanbase wouldn't like it but I still maintain that they should bypass Richardson/Claiborne at #4 and take Tannehill. Then at #22 take BPA of WR/RB/DE. Then trade up into the later part of the 1st for whatever need is most glaring beyond that.
I wouldn't at all be surprised if this scenario took place. Cleveland NEEDS to move on from the Colt McCoy Experience.

Report SI.com : Seahawks smitten with Ryan TannehillIn his MMQB column Monday morning, SI's Peter King was adamant that the Seahawks will select Texas A&M QB Ryan Tannehill if he is available with the 12th overall pick in the draft."You can write this down," says King. "If Tannehill were to be there at 12, Seattle would take him." Per King, teams around the league are well aware of the Seahawks' affinity for Tannehill, and a quarterback-needy club might be inclined to trade up to No. 11 to get in front of Seattle if Tannehill fell. "At Tannehill's workout," one source told King, "(Seahawks coach) Pete Carroll was giggling like a schoolgirl watching him throw. His attitude was like, 'What are we even doing here? He'll never be there for us."
The Seahawks just signed a QB to a 3 year 26 million dollar deal, why would they waste the 12th overall pick on a QB?

Report SI.com : Seahawks smitten with Ryan TannehillIn his MMQB column Monday morning, SI's Peter King was adamant that the Seahawks will select Texas A&M QB Ryan Tannehill if he is available with the 12th overall pick in the draft."You can write this down," says King. "If Tannehill were to be there at 12, Seattle would take him." Per King, teams around the league are well aware of the Seahawks' affinity for Tannehill, and a quarterback-needy club might be inclined to trade up to No. 11 to get in front of Seattle if Tannehill fell. "At Tannehill's workout," one source told King, "(Seahawks coach) Pete Carroll was giggling like a schoolgirl watching him throw. His attitude was like, 'What are we even doing here? He'll never be there for us."
The Seahawks just signed a QB to a 3 year 26 million dollar deal, why would they waste the 12th overall pick on a QB?
From Rotoworld:
The initial Flynn report claimed he received a three-year, $26 million deal. Per the Milwaukee-Journal Sentinel, however, Flynn's base contract is just $19 million with $5 million more available through incentives. It appears the remaining $2 million could be had via "unlikely to be earned" incentives. Either way, it's a much more team-friendly deal than the Cardinals gave Kevin Kolb last offseason. Even if the full "guarantee" is only $2 million less. If both Flynn and Kolb emerged as viable starting quarterbacks, the Seahawks would be paying Flynn much less than the Cardinals would for Kolb.
And if Tannnehill looks like a better option, the Seahawks aren't on the hook for all that much money and could easily cut bait.That said, I find the idea of Seattle taking Tannehill, even if he is there, quite farfetched.

The Browns have 13 picks. THIRTEEN!I know the fanbase wouldn't like it but I still maintain that they should bypass Richardson/Claiborne at #4 and take Tannehill. Then at #22 take BPA of WR/RB/DE. Then trade up into the later part of the 1st for whatever need is most glaring beyond that.
More than half of those picks are fliers outside of the first 4 rounds. We have 3 in the top 50 and 6 in the top 120.If we don't address QB this off season we may fix every other problem on the team - right tackle, wide receiver, running back, left guard, corner, front 7 depth/upside. Then if Colt still sucks this year we can pay whatever it takes to get Barkley next year and he comes into a situation in which he has weapons at his disposal everywhere. If Colt doesn't suck and does step up then we're in a great spot going forward and can finally draft BPA instead of being swayed by 'need.'Or we can roll the dice on Tannehill, leave our team with several unfilled holes elsewhere, probably top out at 5 wins again this year then go into next off season not considering a top QB because we spent a #4 pick on one the last year and 'we have to see what we got in him.' Then our 2013 QB is reliant on rookies as weapons, since they were ignored in the 2012 draft instead of our 2013 QB having 2nd+ year players as weapons because we smartly didn't fall for the potential franchise QB trap in 2012. If that 2013 QB is Tannehill then we have to give him ANOTHER year in 2014 because he had a bunch of kids at skill positions and needs more time.Going Tannehill would be monumentally stupid. Something the old Browns would do. Hopefully this new regime is as smart as they think they are.

More than half of those picks are fliers outside of the first 4 rounds. We have 3 in the top 50 and 6 in the top 120.
A) Those picks can still be used to move up. B) That's a lot in the top 120.
If we don't address QB this off season we may fix every other problem on the team - right tackle, wide receiver, running back, left guard, corner, front 7 depth/upside. Then if Colt still sucks this year we can pay whatever it takes to get Barkley next year and he comes into a situation in which he has weapons at his disposal everywhere. If Colt doesn't suck and does step up then we're in a great spot going forward and can finally draft BPA instead of being swayed by 'need.'
I don't know why you're so enamored with Barkley. He doesn't have elite skills any moreso than Tannehill.And if they were going to "pay whatever they have to" this would have been the year, not next. How did that work? You want to roll those dice again next year?
Or we can roll the dice on Tannehill, leave our team with several unfilled holes elsewhere, probably top out at 5 wins again this year then go into next off season not considering a top QB because we spent a #4 pick on one the last year and 'we have to see what we got in him.' Then our 2013 QB is reliant on rookies as weapons, since they were ignored in the 2012 draft instead of our 2013 QB having 2nd+ year players as weapons because we smartly didn't fall for the potential franchise QB trap in 2012. If that 2013 QB is Tannehill then we have to give him ANOTHER year in 2014 because he had a bunch of kids at skill positions and needs more time.
No. You would leave your team with one unfilled hole. One pick is one player. You act like it would take the Browns' entire draft to take him.Aw forget it. I know both our minds are made up and not changing...To me the question for the Browns comes down to which is riskier - missing out on a starting RB or a starting QB?

More than half of those picks are fliers outside of the first 4 rounds. We have 3 in the top 50 and 6 in the top 120.
A) Those picks can still be used to move up. B) That's a lot in the top 120.
If we don't address QB this off season we may fix every other problem on the team - right tackle, wide receiver, running back, left guard, corner, front 7 depth/upside. Then if Colt still sucks this year we can pay whatever it takes to get Barkley next year and he comes into a situation in which he has weapons at his disposal everywhere. If Colt doesn't suck and does step up then we're in a great spot going forward and can finally draft BPA instead of being swayed by 'need.'
I don't know why you're so enamored with Barkley. He doesn't have elite skills any moreso than Tannehill.And if they were going to "pay whatever they have to" this would have been the year, not next. How did that work? You want to roll those dice again next year?
Clearly, we dropped the ball on RG3. I still think it's a bit fishy because I think the Browns offered a little bit more than the Skins, but the 2 deals were very close and if the Browns wanted to make sure they got RG3 then they should have added this years #2 to make sure.I think Barkley is a clear step down from RG3 and Luck, but I think he is a much better bet then Tannehill. How many of these all tools and no substance players have ever panned out at QB? I don't think Barkley will ever be elite, but a Matt Ryan type? I can see that. And if Colt bombs then I am absolutely fine with a Ryan type on a team that will be rebuilt everywhere else. Tannehill is little more than a roll of the dice. He has the physical tools to be a great QB, but has zero product to show for it.
Or we can roll the dice on Tannehill, leave our team with several unfilled holes elsewhere, probably top out at 5 wins again this year then go into next off season not considering a top QB because we spent a #4 pick on one the last year and 'we have to see what we got in him.' Then our 2013 QB is reliant on rookies as weapons, since they were ignored in the 2012 draft instead of our 2013 QB having 2nd+ year players as weapons because we smartly didn't fall for the potential franchise QB trap in 2012. If that 2013 QB is Tannehill then we have to give him ANOTHER year in 2014 because he had a bunch of kids at skill positions and needs more time.
No. You would leave your team with one unfilled hole. One pick is one player. You act like it would take the Browns' entire draft to take him.Aw forget it. I know both our minds are made up and not changing...
Since I have no faith in any WR outside of the top 3, I have guys I like that are likely available later but want nothing to do with the consensus 4-6 Hill-Jeffrey-Randle, we will either need to trade the 22 and 37 to move up to get Floyd or Wright or go into the season with a WR corps that still sucks. If we trade up then the only positions of need we've addressed are QB and WR. We'll get a RB with one of the 3's and 4's and probably use the other two picks on an OL and front 7 guy. So, by going Tannehill we've addressed WR, one of two holes on the OL, one of the many holes in the front 7, and added another middling guy at RB while still leaving holes at CB, OL, and front 7. Or if we sit and wait at 22 and hope Floyd or Wright fall if they don't make it (personally I don't think they do) we take Doug Martin at 22. By doing that we'll fill another one of our holes at OL, front 7, or CB BUT still have little talent at WR - our biggest current hole. Sure we'll take 2 guys in the mid rounds like Criner and McNutt but are they really going to transform our offense? So, going Tannehill, we'll have more than one hole still remaining, at least if we play this draft how I think we should/will have to. It'll be more like 3 or 4 and some of those holes will still be offensive skill position players, which is why we really won't be fixing our problems and will have the same issues to fix going into 2013 that we do this year.If we pass on Tannehill we have A LOT of flexibility to fill all of these holes. Obviously if we're able to trade down 2-4 spots we'll have more, but we won't know about that until draft day. I'm also assuming we don't waste a pick on Weeden sometime in the first 2 days too, which may be more blind optimism on my part. But, if we do that I'll bet we can add a starting RB, starting WR, two OL, a CB, and a front 7 guy or two before the well on starters runs dry. Then we can add another WR, a developmental QB, among others with our glutton of later day 3 picks. Imho, this is the deepest class we've seen in some time, there seems to be a lot more value later in day 2 and probably leaking into day 3 than I've seen in a few years. A lot of starters can be found this year.If Colt sucks again then going into 2013 we have 19 or 20 starting spots already filled and can feel better about over paying for a QB, unlike this year in which we only have about 14 or 15 starting spots filled. Those numbers why I was hesitant about dealing for RG3, even though I think he is going to be elite, Washington is a better spot for him because there are more pieces around him. Once we're in that spot then we can feel safer paying whatever we have to in order to get a good QB.

I think it's more, which is riskier - missing out on an 80-90% chance of getting a starting RB or a 20-50% chance of getting a starting QB?

Edit: assuming we stay put and can't move down 2-4 spots and add day 2 picks, which I think is what we want to do

So Mac, you're advocating taking Blackmon at #4?

I don't think they're going to do that even if they stay there.

And I think you're selling Rueben Randle short. Not that it matters since I think there's a likelihood he goes before #22 anyway.

I think it's more, which is riskier - missing out on an 80-90% chance of getting a starting RB or a 20-50% chance of getting a starting QB?Edit: assuming we stay put and can't move down 2-4 spots and add day 2 picks, which I think is what we want to do
Right. And I say the second thing is riskier.Edit: Wait. I mean that it's worse to miss out on a starting QB than a starting RB.

So Mac, you're advocating taking Blackmon at #4?I don't think they're going to do that even if they stay there.And I think you're selling Rueben Randle short. Not that it matters since I think there's a likelihood he goes before #22 anyway.
If you told me we could draft Richardson at 4 and one of Floyd or Wright is there at 22 I'd say take Richardson, but you can't guarantee that so yea I'm slightly leaning Blackmon and there has been no indication that Richardson is any better of a bet than Blackmon. The Browns like both. I just don't know who they like more. I know who I feel more comfortable with among RB and WR at pick 22 (assuming Floyd and Wright are gone) though and they're both RB's. Ideally I would like us to move back a few spots, get Floyd (the other guy on our want list), and add more day 2 picks. We need a trade partner to do that and we can't assume that will happen though.I have no interest in Randle at his price for similar reasons as Tannehill - where is the production? He has a ton of tools, but hasn't translated it to the field. If he fell to the 3rd round, ok, but in the top 40? No way. I'd rather have Criner later and a better player at another position instead of Randle.

I have no interest in Randle at his price for similar reasons as Tannehill - where is the production? He has a ton of tools, but hasn't translated it to the field. If he fell to the 3rd round, ok, but in the top 40? No way. I'd rather have Criner later and a better player at another position instead of Randle.
In the arm of a QB that wasn't on his team, through no fault of his own.And I don't get the Criner love. Dude's not all there mentally.

'Andy Dufresne said:
'MAC_32 said:
I have no interest in Randle at his price for similar reasons as Tannehill - where is the production? He has a ton of tools, but hasn't translated it to the field. If he fell to the 3rd round, ok, but in the top 40? No way. I'd rather have Criner later and a better player at another position instead of Randle.
In the arm of a QB that wasn't on his team, through no fault of his own.
His play on the field matched the spotty production though. He seemed to emerge with a big play or two most games, but for the most part his game was lacking throughout. He's a complimentary WR, not a starter, and I'd expect a starter if drafted in the top 40 which is what the Browns need. And it's not that I like Criner more all things equal, he should be at least a round cheaper and drafted along side other complimentary WR's. I think they're more similar then their draft status will indicate.

'Casting Couch said:
'Andy Dufresne said:
I wouldn't at all be surprised if this scenario took place. Cleveland NEEDS to move on from the Colt McCoy Experience.
I don't see the need to go from one QB with question marks to another QB with question marks. Cleveland needs to put more talent around McCoy and see how he does. Start with Richardson then Cordy Glenn at #22 and then the best WR available at #37.

Mike Mayock: Ryan Tannehill not a top-10 draft pick

By Gregg Rosenthal NFL.com

Around The League editor

In so many ways, this NFL draft will turn on where Ryan Tannehill is chosen. Our own Jason La Canfora points out there's next to no chance Tannehill will get past the first 11 picks, but is he really worthy of that high a selection?

NFL Network draft expert Mike Mayock doesn't believe so.

Based just on film of his 19 starts, Tannehill "shouldn't be a top-10 pick. ... But in today's NFL, there's a good chance he will be," Mayock said Thursday on a conference call with reporters.

Mayock mentioned that Tannehill's film alone might not even be worth a top-15 or top-20 pick. He's "at least a year away." Mayock doesn't believe the Cleveland Browns will go after Tannehill at No. 4, instead targeting Brandon Weeden later in the draft. But it would be very surprising if Tannehill slipped past the Miami Dolphins at No. 8. Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland said Thursday he won't be "pressured" to take Tannehill.

Some team will be. That's the cost of finding a quarterback.

I agree with Mayock and I don't see what other people are apparently seeing in Tannehill. I also think the Browns should take Weeden who looks NFL ready.

Tannehill should go to a team like the Browns, Seahawks, Chiefs or Dolphins....... In Round 2. Drooling over rotten meat because you currently only have rotten meat is a recipe for indigestion.

Tannehill should go to a team like the Browns, Seahawks, Chiefs or Dolphins....... In Round 2. Drooling over rotten meat because you currently only have rotten meat is a recipe for indigestion.
In the end, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he dropped to the end of the first round or even into round 2. Guys like Aaron Rodgers, Brady Quinn & Jimmy Clausen all were talked about as top ten locks leading up to the draft. It's not unusual for guys to fall on draft day.

Users who are viewing this thread