What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sammy Morris status? (1 Viewer)

Thumper

Footballguy
First off does anyone know exactly what is wrong with Sammy Morris?

Second does anyone know when he will be back? We have heard very vague rumors in N.E. that Morris will return after the Patriots bye week, but these are far from solid.

Has anyone heard anything new?

I believe he suffered a partial separation of his sternoclavicular joint... (Where your collarbone meets your breastbone.) I'm not sure what the recovery time is for such an injury though.

My unofficial source (which at this point is likely much better than official sources anyway) is telling me we are now looking into December for Morris but there is a decent chance he will go on IR instead.

thx for these updates, yudkin.

I had been holding him, but cutting him was a huge help getting through the bye weeks.

although, if he comes back in week 11 I'm punching you in the nuts.

Here's the closest thing to the official situation . . .

I noticed that Sammy Morris was listed as questionable for the Redskins game. If he was out I was thinking that they would have listed him as out. Is there any chance, even a little one that he could suit up for the Colts game?

Bob, Lincoln, Nev.

A: I would be very surprised if Morris, who was doubtful leading into the Redskins' game, plays in the Colts game. My understanding on that situation is that the "off" weekend of Nov. 10-11 would be a key time in determining how things would proceed. Morris was expected to be out at least four weeks and they'd see how he was feeling at that time to get a better gauge on his potential return.
LINK

My unofficial source (which at this point is likely much better than official sources anyway) is telling me we are now looking into December for Morris but there is a decent chance he will go on IR instead.
Thanks for the update DY. I'm trying to get a better feel for how much to pay for Maroney ... can you elaborate any more on the "decent chance" Morris has of going on IR vs. coming back? 25%? 50%? 75%? I understand if you don't have that particular crystal ball at your disposal though ...Also, in your opinion, would Morris' return even matter to a Maroney owner? Do you think Maroney's carry projections would change going forward whether Sammy returns or Faulk remains the #2? With my limited Pats knowledge, I kind of see it 60/40 in favor of a healthy Maroney regardless if he's being backed-up by a healthy Morris or Faulk.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the update DY. I'm trying to get a better feel for how much to pay for Maroney ... can you elaborate any more on the "decent chance" Morris has of going on IR vs. coming back? 25%? 50%? 75%? I understand if you don't have that particular crystal ball at your disposal though ...Also, in your opinion, would Morris' return even matter to a Maroney owner? Do you think Maroney's carry projections would change going forward whether Sammy returns or Faulk remains the #2? With my limited Pats knowledge, I kind of see it 60/40 in favor of a healthy Maroney regardless if he's being backed-up by a healthy Morris or Faulk.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Yudkin, any thoughts?

My crystal ball is in the shop right now, but if I had to GUESS, I would say the odds are probably 50/50 that Morris will be put on IR. I don't have anything remotely close to hang my hat on with regard to that one, and to be clear that is MY OPINION.

As for my Patriots source, he has suggested to me that:

- The Pats are so focused on playing the Colts right now that he won't be able to get much info on the Morris situation this week as it is totally on the back burner for the team. I should be able to follow up on this next week once the Colts game has been completed and the team off for awhile.

- The team will reevaluate Morris' situation, condition, and timeline to get back on the field in the two weeks surrounding their bye week to assess what his chances of contributing this year are. From what I can tell, his injury and status are more severe than is being reported currently. We all know the Pats won't say anything about it, making it very difficult to report on what is not being addressed. All I know is that my guy is not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling about Morris and his health is a serious concern. His overriding OPINION is not to expect much heading forward from Morris (but even he has nothing official to go on).

- Like Maroney, I doubt that they would rush him back and I would think that the goal was to get him healthy enough to be useful in the post season. I would suggest that the soonest we would see Morris back is 12/3 @ BAL in Week 13 and that would be in limited use. I suspect that realistically if he were to make it back this year it would probably be for the 12/16 game vs. NYJ in Week 15. I'm not his doctor, so it's not like I am part of his rehab team and have a roadmap to his recovery schedule. Those guys will have a better idea as to what the likelihood of aggravating the injury will be and whether one more big hit could cause more permanent damage. If they decide he is at risk I would think they will shut him down for the year.

- For fantasy purposes I can't see him making much of an impact the rest of the year. I suppose that there is an outside shot that he could get a large helping of touches if the planets align properly. By that I mean that he comes back completely healthy, the team continues to cruise along undefeated, the Colts lose a couple games, and NE locks up homefield and rests Maroney. If that were the case, I suppose it's possible that Morris might make a sneaky fantasy play in Week 16, but by that point most fantasy teams will be out of it or in their title game. Similarly, if those teams GOT to the fantasy Super Bowl they did it with other RBs, so having Morris around as a shot in the dark probably wouldn't make much difference except in an emergency.

- Long story short, for fantasy prospects heading forward over the rest of the 2007, I don't see Morris being a great option. I do think we will (FINALLY) see the emergence of Maroney as a decent fantasy RB. By decent I mean Top 10-15 production. I have been saying all season that the plan was to get Maroney more integrated into the offense as the season progressed and a full workload in December to get him primed for the playoffs. The Morris injury only supports that theory as far as I'm concerned. I have recommended people with limited roster space to cut bait on Morris all along, and I'm not hearing anything really positive about this situation to suggest otherwise at this point.

- So if there are waiver wire guys floating around that could be useful and you need to cut someone to get one of those free agents, IMO Morris is a consideration as someone to jettison.

My crystal ball is in the shop right now, but if I had to GUESS, I would say the odds are probably 50/50 that Morris will be put on IR. I don't have anything remotely close to hang my hat on with regard to that one, and to be clear that is MY OPINION.As for my Patriots source, he has suggested to me that:- The Pats are so focused on playing the Colts right now that he won't be able to get much info on the Morris situation this week as it is totally on the back burner for the team. I should be able to follow up on this next week once the Colts game has been completed and the team off for awhile.- The team will reevaluate Morris' situation, condition, and timeline to get back on the field in the two weeks surrounding their bye week to assess what his chances of contributing this year are. From what I can tell, his injury and status are more severe than is being reported currently. We all know the Pats won't say anything about it, making it very difficult to report on what is not being addressed. All I know is that my guy is not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling about Morris and his health is a serious concern. His overriding OPINION is not to expect much heading forward from Morris (but even he has nothing official to go on).- Like Maroney, I doubt that they would rush him back and I would think that the goal was to get him healthy enough to be useful in the post season. I would suggest that the soonest we would see Morris back is 12/3 @ BAL in Week 13 and that would be in limited use. I suspect that realistically if he were to make it back this year it would probably be for the 12/16 game vs. NYJ in Week 15. I'm not his doctor, so it's not like I am part of his rehab team and have a roadmap to his recovery schedule. Those guys will have a better idea as to what the likelihood of aggravating the injury will be and whether one more big hit could cause more permanent damage. If they decide he is at risk I would think they will shut him down for the year.- For fantasy purposes I can't see him making much of an impact the rest of the year. I suppose that there is an outside shot that he could get a large helping of touches if the planets align properly. By that I mean that he comes back completely healthy, the team continues to cruise along undefeated, the Colts lose a couple games, and NE locks up homefield and rests Maroney. If that were the case, I suppose it's possible that Morris might make a sneaky fantasy play in Week 16, but by that point most fantasy teams will be out of it or in their title game. Similarly, if those teams GOT to the fantasy Super Bowl they did it with other RBs, so having Morris around as a shot in the dark probably wouldn't make much difference except in an emergency.- Long story short, for fantasy prospects heading forward over the rest of the 2007, I don't see Morris being a great option. I do think we will (FINALLY) see the emergence of Maroney as a decent fantasy RB. By decent I mean Top 10-15 production. I have been saying all season that the plan was to get Maroney more integrated into the offense as the season progressed and a full workload in December to get him primed for the playoffs. The Morris injury only supports that theory as far as I'm concerned. I have recommended people with limited roster space to cut bait on Morris all along, and I'm not hearing anything really positive about this situation to suggest otherwise at this point.- So if there are waiver wire guys floating around that could be useful and you need to cut someone to get one of those free agents, IMO Morris is a consideration as someone to jettison.
:thumbup:

My crystal ball is in the shop right now, but if I had to GUESS, I would say the odds are probably 50/50 that Morris will be put on IR. I don't have anything remotely close to hang my hat on with regard to that one, and to be clear that is MY OPINION.As for my Patriots source, he has suggested to me that:- The Pats are so focused on playing the Colts right now that he won't be able to get much info on the Morris situation this week as it is totally on the back burner for the team. I should be able to follow up on this next week once the Colts game has been completed and the team off for awhile.- The team will reevaluate Morris' situation, condition, and timeline to get back on the field in the two weeks surrounding their bye week to assess what his chances of contributing this year are. From what I can tell, his injury and status are more severe than is being reported currently. We all know the Pats won't say anything about it, making it very difficult to report on what is not being addressed. All I know is that my guy is not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling about Morris and his health is a serious concern. His overriding OPINION is not to expect much heading forward from Morris (but even he has nothing official to go on).- Like Maroney, I doubt that they would rush him back and I would think that the goal was to get him healthy enough to be useful in the post season. I would suggest that the soonest we would see Morris back is 12/3 @ BAL in Week 13 and that would be in limited use. I suspect that realistically if he were to make it back this year it would probably be for the 12/16 game vs. NYJ in Week 15. I'm not his doctor, so it's not like I am part of his rehab team and have a roadmap to his recovery schedule. Those guys will have a better idea as to what the likelihood of aggravating the injury will be and whether one more big hit could cause more permanent damage. If they decide he is at risk I would think they will shut him down for the year.- For fantasy purposes I can't see him making much of an impact the rest of the year. I suppose that there is an outside shot that he could get a large helping of touches if the planets align properly. By that I mean that he comes back completely healthy, the team continues to cruise along undefeated, the Colts lose a couple games, and NE locks up homefield and rests Maroney. If that were the case, I suppose it's possible that Morris might make a sneaky fantasy play in Week 16, but by that point most fantasy teams will be out of it or in their title game. Similarly, if those teams GOT to the fantasy Super Bowl they did it with other RBs, so having Morris around as a shot in the dark probably wouldn't make much difference except in an emergency.- Long story short, for fantasy prospects heading forward over the rest of the 2007, I don't see Morris being a great option. I do think we will (FINALLY) see the emergence of Maroney as a decent fantasy RB. By decent I mean Top 10-15 production. I have been saying all season that the plan was to get Maroney more integrated into the offense as the season progressed and a full workload in December to get him primed for the playoffs. The Morris injury only supports that theory as far as I'm concerned. I have recommended people with limited roster space to cut bait on Morris all along, and I'm not hearing anything really positive about this situation to suggest otherwise at this point.- So if there are waiver wire guys floating around that could be useful and you need to cut someone to get one of those free agents, IMO Morris is a consideration as someone to jettison.
:thumbup:
Agreed, and I know it goes without saying DY, but we all GREATLY appreciate your Pats thoughts and insight. Even if some of it is your opinion or based on gut feel, it sure helps improve the quality of the decisions we're all trying to make. :thumbup:

How do you feel about Morris in a dynasty league? Will he be utilized next year similar to this year, or do you feel Maroney will take over full time?

Foosball God said:
How do you feel about Morris in a dynasty league? Will he be utilized next year similar to this year, or do you feel Maroney will take over full time?
IMO, it depends on how MARONEY finished up this year. I know that beyond closed doors the team was very disappointed in that he never was able to make a big impact late in the season last year and into the post season. NE lost out on another SB title last year due to their inability to run the ball and they were counting on Maroney pushing Dillon to the curb by the end of the season last year. Clearly that did not materialize.This year Maroney has been far from a pillar of health, and if Maroney turns into DeShaun Foster the rest of the way I would guess Morris may have a decent sized role next year. If Maroney comes on and takes control of the RB gig, Morris may see a reduced role next year. It's probably too soon to tell and any opinion at this point would be pure speculation.

Great info and opinions Yudkin. As a Maroney owner, I appreciate all this info. With my limited roster space I had to drop Morris and picked up Chatman because I needed some more depth at RB. Looks like it was the right decision. Thanks

Great info and opinions Yudkin. As a Maroney owner, I appreciate all this info. With my limited roster space I had to drop Morris and picked up Chatman because I needed some more depth at RB. Looks like it was the right decision. Thanks
This is exactly what I was trying to say before . . . if there is someone with immediate value I would pick him up at the expense of Morris. I'd always rather have the "sure thing" in terms of health and playing time over the "maybe-down-the-road-he'll-do-something-if-healthy" types.

I checked in again to see if there was anything else new on Morris, but as expected, there's literally nothing to report other than he won't be playing against the Colts. As I mentioned earlier, no one is talking about him and they won't answer questions about it.

I am heading out of town and won't have another chance to provide any other updates this week, but I think things in Patsville are pretty clear (at least for this week anyway).

Patriots placed RB Sammy Morris on injured reserve, ending his season.The Pats would only say Morris had a "chest" injury. A free agent signee from Miami in the offseason, Morris proved perfect as a change of pace for Laurence Maroney, and showed he's plenty capable of carrying a workload on his own. He'll likely be back next season. His loss means Heath Evans and Kyle Eckel's roles could expand in New England's backfield going forward.
Looks like that 50-50 chance just went to 100.

Users who are viewing this thread