What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** San Francisco 49ers thread *** rookie minicamp May 10th and 11th (26 Viewers)

We have what, like 8-10 real posters who have been in here over the years? At least 3 (maybe more) of us want him gone. I get it, not statistically significant, but I think that’s prob not far off from overall real fan base general consensus.

6 straight passes to start the 3rd, guy can’t get out of his own way. Good coach, not great, can’t get over the hurdle.

It’s the same argument I made with playing Lance over Jimmy. Jimmy wasn’t Jamarcus Russell, but we knew what he was. I’m at the point where I take the unknown over the known in Shanny. If being competitive is the goal, fine Shanny is the guy. If winning a SB is the goal, I don’t see him as the solution.
1 of the 3 is seriously off his meds, and I'm going to give you and kface the benefit of still being emotional after the big loss.

This is my last post on the topic because you guys are being absolutely insane. Demeco Ryans was a pretty good DC who is benefitting from having drafted what appears to be a top 5 QB and the fact that a Shanahan acolyte is running his offense. Shanahan was a bad bounce of Luter's leg from winning a title. It sucks but these things happen. You need to be great + get a ton of breaks to win a super bowl.

How about this - you're insane and dumb. That about sums up your argument

Let's just spend the afternoon calling each other names.

2023 Dallas Cowboys Head Coach 12-5-0 0-1
2022 Dallas Cowboys Head Coach 12-5-0 1-1
2021 Dallas Cowboys Head Coach 12-5-0 0-1
2020 Dallas Cowboys Head Coach 6-10-0 0-0

That's Mike McCarthy's record and lots of people want him gone. Not just the 'lunatic fringe'

And I'm OK with being done with your insulting conversation.
People want McCarthy gone because he’s 1-3 in the playoffs and they got blown out by the 7th seed this year.

Just saying.

He's still 12-5 every year and turned around a team from a 6-10 record. He still has the 2nd most wins as a coach in GB history

Who do you replace him with that guarantees results that are any better?

We have what, like 8-10 real posters who have been in here over the years? At least 3 (maybe more) of us want him gone. I get it, not statistically significant, but I think that’s prob not far off from overall real fan base general consensus.

6 straight passes to start the 3rd, guy can’t get out of his own way. Good coach, not great, can’t get over the hurdle.

It’s the same argument I made with playing Lance over Jimmy. Jimmy wasn’t Jamarcus Russell, but we knew what he was. I’m at the point where I take the unknown over the known in Shanny. If being competitive is the goal, fine Shanny is the guy. If winning a SB is the goal, I don’t see him as the solution.
1 of the 3 is seriously off his meds, and I'm going to give you and kface the benefit of still being emotional after the big loss.

This is my last post on the topic because you guys are being absolutely insane. Demeco Ryans was a pretty good DC who is benefitting from having drafted what appears to be a top 5 QB and the fact that a Shanahan acolyte is running his offense. Shanahan was a bad bounce of Luter's leg from winning a title. It sucks but these things happen. You need to be great + get a ton of breaks to win a super bowl.

That's Mike McCarthy's record and lots of people want him gone. Not just the 'lunatic fringe'

People want McCarthy gone because he’s 1-3 in the playoffs and they got blown out by the 7th seed this year.

Just saying.

He's still 12-5 every year and turned around a team from a 6-10 record. He still has the 2nd most wins as a coach in GB history

I wouldn’t personally unless they could get Shanahan, which they can’t. Fortunately Jed has gotten smarter since the Harbaugh debacle.

But again, it is more reasonable since they can point to the playoff record which Shanahan detractors can’t.

Just saying.

I wouldn’t personally unless they could get Shanahan, which they can’t. Fortunately Jed has gotten smarter since the Harbaugh debacle.

But again, it is more reasonable since they can point to the playoff record which Shanahan detractors can’t.

Maybe true maybe not for sure. McCarthy was really successful in GB as well and everyone hated him because he couldn't get over the hump. So there is a huge legacy issue there for him

Either side of the issue you are on however doesn't make the other side insane. There are some real question marks there. But I agree it's going to take the 6-11 season in a couple of years before he gets fired.

This loss stung incredibly bad for me. Beyond the fact that my futures winnings would've been equivalent to like a Camry, and I refused to hedge (and I'll never hedge the 49ers ever), it was more about the family moment, having a big party at the house, kids going bonkers, everything. This one was utterly painful. I've stayed very even-keeled on this one. Even my wife was shocked at how in stride I took this. Maybe a part of me knew Shanny is a choker and I was readily prepared for the heartbreak, idk.

There was one goal with this team this season, the goal wasn't met. This defense would've been like the 85 Bears with Demeco this season, imo. Pointless to argue bc he's in Houston and my favorite coach is now a Charger.

Rarely do I say this and truly mean it, but I hope it's you that gets to say I told you so in a few years, I'm just highly doubtful of that. I'll take no pleasure in me saying it.
"Multiple San Francisco players said after the game that they were not aware that the overtime rules are different in the playoffs than they are in the regular season, and strategy discussions over how to handle the overtime period did not occur as a team. Defensive lineman Arik Armstead said he learned the details of the postseason rule when it was shown on the Allegiant Stadium jumbotron during a TV timeout after regulation. Fullback Kyle Juszczyk said he assumed the 49ers asked to receive when they won the toss because that’s what you do in the regular season, when a touchdown wins the game. 'I guess that’s not the case. I don’t really know the strategy,' Juszczyk said."
So a few players are either stupid or don’t listen? Happens in every business. Football players aren’t immune to it. So far only two players that I’m aware of have said this. Most seemed to know the rules. Hardman caught the winning TD and apparently was surprised the game was over so my guess is he wasn’t the only Chief who didn’t know either. It didn’t impact the game result. Kyle gave a clear explanation of why he decided to take the ball first.

Just people talking for the sake of talking. Again.
Defend the 6 straight passes to start the 2nd half.
What does that have to do with a couple players not knowing the rules?

Obviously Kyle thought throwing would be effective. I was surprised too but I’m not part of the lunatic fringe that questions every strategy that doesn’t work. Why did Harbaugh throw 3 straight fades at the end of the Ravens game instead of handing the ball to Gore when the Ravens were missing their best run defender? Why did he do the exact same thing in the NFC championship game the next year and Seattle wins when the get a pick? Coaches call plays they think will work against a certain defense. You’re part of the “should have run the ball” and if the run didn’t work it’s “he should have passed the ball”.
I'll grant your argument prior to this about players might not be paying attention or along those lines.

With that being said, you lose credibility even trying to make a case starting the 2nd half passing 6 straight times. We know their weakness, we know our strength, the strategy should revolve around exploiting that. Same guy with a 28-3 lead calling plays abandoned the run against NE. A pattern is starting to develop. The small mistakes have cost us huge. I go back to not challenging the 4th down in Philly, prob changes that game, Brock might not get injured, who knows since it didn't happen. To me he chokes when the lights are the brightest, that's my opinion, and I'm not alone in that. Bc you disagree with my opinion doesn't make me a lunatic. I understand your point, I don't think you're insane for having it, I just disagree with it. I don't think he's capable of winning a SB. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

In terms of Harbaugh, please don't get me started. It's why I truly hate Jed York. Trust Fund Baby needed more credit, couldn't handle Harbaugh. Guy took this team from a decade of being in the abyss to instant competitors. I'd kill to have him back, but obviously that's a pipe dream. In fact, I might switch to being a Chargers' fan :lol:

This loss stung incredibly bad for me. Beyond the fact that my futures winnings would've been equivalent to like a Camry, and I refused to hedge (and I'll never hedge the 49ers ever), it was more about the family moment, having a big party at the house, kids going bonkers, everything. This one was utterly painful. I've stayed very even-keeled on this one. Even my wife was shocked at how in stride I took this. Maybe a part of me knew Shanny is a choker and I was readily prepared for the heartbreak, idk.

There was one goal with this team this season, the goal wasn't met. This defense would've been like the 85 Bears with Demeco this season, imo. Pointless to argue bc he's in Houston and my favorite coach is now a Charger.

Rarely do I say this and truly mean it, but I hope it's you that gets to say I told you so in a few years, I'm just highly doubtful of that. I'll take no pleasure in me saying it.
"Multiple San Francisco players said after the game that they were not aware that the overtime rules are different in the playoffs than they are in the regular season, and strategy discussions over how to handle the overtime period did not occur as a team. Defensive lineman Arik Armstead said he learned the details of the postseason rule when it was shown on the Allegiant Stadium jumbotron during a TV timeout after regulation. Fullback Kyle Juszczyk said he assumed the 49ers asked to receive when they won the toss because that’s what you do in the regular season, when a touchdown wins the game. 'I guess that’s not the case. I don’t really know the strategy,' Juszczyk said."
So a few players are either stupid or don’t listen? Happens in every business. Football players aren’t immune to it. So far only two players that I’m aware of have said this. Most seemed to know the rules. Hardman caught the winning TD and apparently was surprised the game was over so my guess is he wasn’t the only Chief who didn’t know either. It didn’t impact the game result. Kyle gave a clear explanation of why he decided to take the ball first.

Obviously Kyle thought throwing would be effective. I was surprised too but I’m not part of the lunatic fringe that questions every strategy that doesn’t work. Why did Harbaugh throw 3 straight fades at the end of the Ravens game instead of handing the ball to Gore when the Ravens were missing their best run defender? Why did he do the exact same thing in the NFC championship game the next year and Seattle wins when the get a pick? Coaches call plays they think will work against a certain defense. You’re part of the “should have run the ball” and if the run didn’t work it’s “he should have passed the ball”.
I'll grant your argument prior to this about players might not be paying attention or along those lines.

With that being said, you lose credibility even trying to make a case starting the 2nd half passing 6 straight times. We know their weakness, we know our strength, the strategy should revolve around exploiting that. Same guy with a 28-3 lead calling plays abandoned the run against NE. A pattern is starting to develop. The small mistakes have cost us huge. I go back to not challenging the 4th down in Philly, prob changes that game, Brock might not get injured, who knows since it didn't happen. To me he chokes when the lights are the brightest, that's my opinion, and I'm not alone in that. Bc you disagree with my opinion doesn't make me a lunatic. I understand your point, I don't think you're insane for having it, I just disagree with it. I don't think he's capable of winning a SB. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

In terms of Harbaugh, please don't get me started. It's why I truly hate Jed York. Trust Fund Baby needed more credit, couldn't handle Harbaugh. Guy took this team from a decade of being in the abyss to instant competitors. I'd kill to have him back, but obviously that's a pipe dream. In fact, I might switch to being a Chargers' fan :lol:

It's the pattern that is concerning to me. It's not the one-off game - it seems like it always happens.

49ers supberbowl favorites already for next year because of the talent

Crazy that Greenlaw tore his achilles, he had issues with it a few weeks ago - he was questionable going into the Green Bay game with achilles tendinitis. It had to have been damaged at that time and it just gave out Sunday. Couldnt make it one more game without snapping. Brutal.

Off meds. Lol. One of my favorite tweets by one of my 49er follows on Twitter:

I know the 49ers lost and its ok to be emotional about your team in your own way. We’ve come a long way Faithful. I understand that the window may be closing, but I’m extremely proud of this 2023 team. Now it’s onto the next and I look forward to 2024.

There are layers to fandom. I'm on the extreme end and flip out sometimes. Those that judge really don't understand, and that's OK, I won't lose any winks of sleep over it.

Off meds. Lol. One of my favorite tweets by one of my 49er follows on Twitter:

I know the 49ers lost and its ok to be emotional about your team in your own way. We’ve come a long way Faithful. I understand that the window may be closing, but I’m extremely proud of this 2023 team. Now it’s onto the next and I look forward to 2024.

There are layers to fandom. I'm on the extreme end and flip out sometimes. Those that judge really don't understand, and that's OK, I won't lose any winks of sleep over it.
I get it. This season was SB or bust, it ended in bust.

The Kyle Williams game might've been the most unhinged I ever was after a game, I was there.

I took my family on vacation in Feb 2020 and we were on an island enjoying ourselves, so I withstood that one. The Ravens SB, I was holding my infant baby like a football, so he helped keep me in check. This one, IDK how I've held it together. It stings bad, but I've fought through it.

Al Sacco:

Trying to find comps for Shanahan’s recent run (2019-2023: 4 NFCCGs in 5 years. 0-2 in SB)

Dan Reeves 1986-1991: 4 AFCCGs in 6 years. 0-3 in Super Bowl

Any Reid 2001-2004: 4 NFCCGs in 4 years. 0-1 in SB.

Marv Levy: 1988-1993: 5 AFCCGs in 6 years. 0-4 in SB

Bud Grant: 1973-1977: 4 NFCCGs in 5 years. 0-3 in SB

The only other coach to make multiple Super Bowls and not win is John Fox, but they were almost a decade apart with two different teams.

Al Sacco:

Trying to find comps for Shanahan’s recent run (2019-2023: 4 NFCCGs in 5 years. 0-2 in SB)

The only other coach to make multiple Super Bowls and not win is John Fox, but they were almost a decade apart with two different teams.
This is the only light I've been able to shine in the last day to give me any solace.

Al Sacco:

This is the only light I've been able to shine in the last day to give me any solace.
And it only took Reid 15 years and 10 more postseason appearances after that 1st SB appearance to win one, and it took a generational talent at QB to get it. He couldn't get past the Divisional round as KC head coach til Mahomes came along (made the playoffs 4 of 5 years with Alex Smith at QB).

I hope Shanahan can get one a little quicker than that

Last edited:
49ers' pressures in Super Bowl LVIII...

Nick Bosa: 12
Arik Armstead: 7
Javon Hargrave: 6
Chase Young: 4
Javon Kinlaw: 1
Kevin Givens: 1
Randy Gregory: 1

The defensive line played a superb game other than a couple of times where Mahomes gashed them with runs.

49ers pressures allowed...

Banks: 5
McKivitz: 4
Burford: 3
Brendel: 2
Feliciano: 1

The Chiefs notched 9 (!!) unblocked pressures on blitzes.

Always disheartened when they lose a playoff game or Super Bowl but will never take the attitude of “might as well not even gotten there”. Had a party with family and friends Sunday (nobody rooting for the Chiefs allowed) and had a blast despite the suckfest end to it. Lot of great memories with my kids and my grandson (8 and a Niner fanatic already). Lot of great memories of past teams that didn’t go all the way. Way more fun than being a fan of a team that makes the playoffs every 6-7 years but usually hangs around 6-7 wins (Raiders) 😎

OK, but you lost credibility claiming you have more insight to what plays should be called than the head coach. I’m sure he wanted to run the ball more but a couple instances of run the first two downs and now it’s 3rd and 8. I thought it was strange to come out with 6 passes but not delusional enough to think there wasn’t a reason for those calls.

Find it strange that you worship Harbaugh though. They were dominating the Giants and ended up losing the 2011 NFC championship game to an inferior team. Lost to an inferior team in the Super Bowl in 2012 with possibly the worst series of calls ever with a chance to win the game. Lost the NFC championship game in 2013 by calling the same horrible fade pattern against possibly the best CB in football. Harbaugh got a pass on all of that from a lot of the same fans that want Shanahan gone. Interesting.

All this bickering between 49er fans...questioning credibility, name calling, condescension...weak sauce.

It sucks to lose, but people deal with it different ways. Why does anyone care what other people's opinions are or how they deal with things, and why attack a fellow fan in a team thread because someone has a different opinion? Does that make them a moron or have no credibility or just plain stupid? Absolutely not.

I couldn't care less what anyone's opinion on the team or what they think they should do to try to get over the hump. It's not worth my time to argue with anyone whose opinion I'm not gonna sway. I don't dislike any of the regular Niner fans here, even though I strongly disagree with some of their views, I'd never attack them for their point of view (well, except maybe drummer who was just unbearable most of the time lol), but for F sake, we get enough from other fan bases, we don't need infighting.

We're all 49er fans. You deal with things your way, I'll deal with them my way. You have your opinions, I have mine. We don't have to agree, but we don't have to act like children either. It's just football.

As far as this Super Bowl loss, this one stings way less than 2019, and it stings way less than a loss to Green Bay in the Divisional round would have. I was ready for it this time and accepted it right away. The second the Chief player (no clue who it even was) crossed the goal line to win, I turned it off, deleted all the sports channels from my on screen TV guide, and still haven't watched a second of after stuff. I still don't know who won SB MVP (but I can probably guess). I haven't watched a second of what Shanahan or any 49er has said since the game ended. I'm gonna rewatch the game this week with no emotion involved, and then I'll process what went wrong and what I believe we should do going forward.

I love all you guys, even when some of you act like d-bags, because I get it. I do it too. We get angry and frustrated because we're invested in and care about this team. It's OK to vent and lose your mind after a big loss. We all just want a friggin Super Bowl. Hopefully it happens soon.

Last edited:
This one, IDK how I've held it together. It stings bad, but I've fought through it.

This one was by far the worst for me as well. Especially watching my 9-year-old immediately burst into tears and run upstairs. He wasn't _quite_ old enough to really understand the last Chiefs loss. Still sucks :(

OK but I just don’t get the hard core Shanahan bashing. Guy has been great. A play here or there in both super bowls against the Chiefs and he has two rings and the same people cursing him are praising him. I honestly think they win that game if not for the muffed punt. Most people agreed it was going to be a tight game and basically handing the Chiefs a free TD was devastating.

Anyway, as a fan, I was so pissed at the play calling at the end of the 2012 Super Bowl against the Ravens but I didn’t start raving that a successful coach should be shown the door over it. Obviously Harbaugh and Greg Roman saw something in the tape that they thought that play would work, but having a QB not known for his accuracy throwing fades seemed asinine instead of trying Gore against a defense that was missing Ngoga (spelling).

Anyway. Onward and looking forward to having an actual full set of draft picks this year. Address the Offensive line please.

For the record, I know Shanahan isn't going anywhere, and I dont think he should be fired. But when you start the 2nd half like this against the Chiefs, you're basically giving them 3 free posessions:

Pass
Pass
Pass
Punt

Pass
Pass
Pass
Punt

Run
Pass
Pass
Punt

Someone needs to be in his ear talking sense into him. There were runs that worked in the first half. Dial those back up, maybe with a different look. Don't put Purdy in a naked gun with zero run threat.

He will never give up play calling, but he needs an assistant coach or someone who can get through to him when he feels the pressure in big games. Is the loss all on Kyle? Absolutely not, but play calling could be much better in big games. Just my $.02

For the record, I know Shanahan isn't going anywhere, and I dont think he should be fired. But when you start the 2nd half like this against the Chiefs, you're basically giving them 3 free posessions:

Pass
Pass
Pass
Punt

Pass
Pass
Pass
Punt

Run
Pass
Pass
Punt

Someone needs to be in his ear talking sense into him. There were runs that worked in the first half. Dial those back up, maybe with a different look. Don't put Purdy in a naked gun with zero run threat.

He will never give up play calling, but he needs an assistant coach or someone who can get through to him when he feels the pressure in big games. Is the loss all on Kyle? Absolutely not, but play calling could be much better in big games. Just my $.02
Not if the passes work.

Not if the passes work.
But they didnt. He puts too much on Purdy IMO. Maybe dial up more screens. Anything but dropping back when KC is blitzing damn near every play. Situational play calling/adjusting is one of his biggest weaknesses IMO.

Not if the passes work.
But they didnt. He puts too much on Purdy IMO. Maybe dial up more screens. Anything but dropping back when KC is blitzing damn near every play. Situational play calling/adjusting is one of his biggest weaknesses IMO.
In hindsight, everybody is right.

Again, he called plays he thought would be effective. If he ran the ball 6 straight times and they went 3 and out then you would be saying the opposite.

Pass
Pass
Pass
Punt

Pass
Pass
Pass
Punt

Run
Pass
Pass
Punt

Not if the passes work.
I said this earlier in the thread, but CMC was averaging 3.6 ypc on 22 attempts. If you take out the first drive of the game, CMC was averaging 3.2 yards per carry. The Niners didn't abandon the run game even though it wasn't producing at its normal levels. Purdy was averaging 6.7 ypa. Shanahan dialed up a perfect pass play with two wide open guys on that last third down in overtime, but Burford blew his blocking assignment. Would I have preferred a run on a couple of the plays WN cites? Yes. But unlike the Greg Roman play calls in 2012-13 you cited, everything Shanahan did was within the bounds of reasonableness.

Brandon Aiyuk was overcome with emotion when asked about this journey with his 49ers teammates:

WR Brandon Aiyuk says he wants to remain a Niner “If it’s the right move.” When asked what that would look like, Aiyuk replied with: “Being a champion.”

That’s sounds great and I want him back, but unless he goes to KC, why would he think he is going to have a better shot at a ring anywhere else? I’ll also bet money will play into it. As it should.

Not if the passes work.

Again, he called plays he thought would be effective. If he ran the ball 6 straight times and they went 3 and out then you would be saying the opposite.
I wouldn't. I'd rather they live and die by the run than put it in Purdys hands at this point in his career.

The bottom line though is SF had a few chances to put the game away and they didn't do it. A bad bounce here, a missed block there, and now we have to deal with KC dynasty talk. It's disgusting.

Pass
Pass
Pass
Punt

Pass
Pass
Pass
Punt

Run
Pass
Pass
Punt

Not if the passes work.
I said this earlier in the thread, but CMC was averaging 3.6 ypc on 22 attempts. If you take out the first drive of the game, CMC was averaging 3.2 yards per carry. The Niners didn't abandon the run game even though it wasn't producing at its normal levels. Purdy was averaging 6.7 ypa. Shanahan dialed up a perfect pass play with two wide open guys on that last third down in overtime, but Burford blew his blocking assignment. Would I have preferred a run on a couple of the plays WN cites? Yes. But unlike the Greg Roman play calls in 2012-13 you cited, everything Shanahan did was within the bounds of reasonableness.
Yep. They definitely weren’t gashing the Chiefs on the ground and just abandoned something that was working. On the last drive, they ran on 2nd and 4 and got stuffed. If they ran on 3rd and got stuffed again, that would have been criticized too. They had some nice runs but not the normal domination.

Not if the passes work.

I wouldn't. I'd rather they live and die by the run than put it in Purdys hands at this point in his career.
Disagree. Have to trust your QB and Purdy earned that trust over the course of the season. He called the plays he thought would win them the game. Didn’t work out. Doesn’t mean I agree with the calls but WTF do I know?

Pass
Pass
Pass
Punt

Pass
Pass
Pass
Punt

Run
Pass
Pass
Punt

Not if the passes work.
1) They didn't
2) We know our strength
3) We know their weakness

Why argue this?

I said this earlier in the thread, but CMC was averaging 3.6 ypc on 22 attempts. If you take out the first drive of the game, CMC was averaging 3.2 yards per carry.
So if they run it on 1st and 2nd down, they're in 3rd and 3 or 4 instead of 3rd and 10 or worse.

Just because they weren't gashing KC with the run, keep at it, especially if it puts you in more manageable 3rd downs, and when you have CMC, a big run can happen at any time. He didn't win OPOY by being kept down all game.

It's crazy how split we all are on this. We will never know if things would have been different.

Pass
Pass
Pass
Punt

Pass
Pass
Pass
Punt

Run
Pass
Pass
Punt

Not if the passes work.
1) They didn't
2) We know our strength

Why argue this?

And by this version no play calling is ever bad because 'it's what the coach thought would work'.

everyone I knew, everyone online, every pundit was screaming it run it down their throat and he did the exact opposite until OT and then he fed CMC and it worked

Pass
Pass
Pass
Punt

Pass
Pass
Pass
Punt

Run
Pass
Pass
Punt

Not if the passes work.
1) They didn't
2) We know our strength

Why argue this?
I’m sorry, but you’re a fan who has surface knowledge. That’s just a fact. You have no idea how to game plan other that to spout “run the ball”. Did you curse your hero Harbaugh when he threw 3 fades against the Ravens? Called for his firing? Claimed you knew the Ravens weakness with Ngoga out? I thought it was a foolish approach but wasn’t whining for 2 days after the game about it.

Chiefs were focused on stopping the run. As “The Catch” correctly pointed out, their running game wasn’t that successful. Again, I question the six straight passes, but don’t seriously think I know the best plan of attack against what the Chiefs were throwing up on defense.

I said this earlier in the thread, but CMC was averaging 3.6 ypc on 22 attempts. If you take out the first drive of the game, CMC was averaging 3.2 yards per carry.
So if they run it on 1st and 2nd down, they're in 3rd and 3 or 4 instead of 3rd and 10 or worse.

Just because they weren't gashing KC with the run, keep at it, especially if it puts you in more manageable 3rd downs, and when you have CMC, a big run can happen at any time. He didn't win OPOY by being kept down all game.

It's crazy how split we all are on this. We will never know if things would have been different.

This is such an intelligent post. CMC almost always gets 3 yards...so much easier to get to 3rd and 3 then it is to be 3rd and 10. Nobody in the world beside KS thought Purdy throwing a ton was the key to winning this game (ironically not even targeting kittle/Aiyuk/deebo)

This is such an intelligent post. CMC almost always gets 3 yards...so much easier to get to 3rd and 3 then it is to be 3rd and 10. Nobody in the world beside KS thought Purdy throwing a ton was the key to winning this game (ironically not even targeting kittle/Aiyuk/deebo)
Interesting. I think it’s a really bad take. He could have been stuffed twice and it could be 3rd and 10. Nobody knows of course.

Pass
Pass
Pass
Punt

Pass
Pass
Pass
Punt

Run
Pass
Pass
Punt

Not if the passes work.
1) They didn't
2) We know our strength

Why argue this?
I’m sorry, but you’re a fan who has surface knowledge. That’s just a fact. You have no idea how to game plan other that to spout “run the ball”. Did you curse your hero Harbaugh when he threw 3 fades against the Ravens? Called for his firing? Claimed you knew the Ravens weakness with Ngoga out? I thought it was a foolish approach but wasn’t whining for 2 days after the game about it.

Chiefs were focused on stopping the run. As “The Catch” correctly pointed out, their running game wasn’t that successful. Again, I question the six straight passes, but don’t seriously think I know the best plan of attack against what the Chiefs were throwing up on defense.
To the first bold, I certainly did and still do. But when he took the same squad that Singletary went 4-12 with to the NFCC the following season, he forever had a spot in my heart. I find it interesting you're so condescending with JH and loving of KS.

To the bold, neither did KS. Outwitted by Spags, period.

Interesting. I think it’s a really bad take. He could have been stuffed twice and it could be 3rd and 10. Nobody knows of course.

Yes because we know that cmc often gets zero yards....give me a break dude

About 33% of his runs were for 2 yards or less.

Pass
Pass
Pass
Punt

Pass
Pass
Pass
Punt

Run
Pass
Pass
Punt

Not if the passes work.
1) They didn't
2) We know our strength

Why argue this?

To the first bold, I certainly did and still do. But when he took the same squad that Singletary went 4-12 with to the NFCC the following season, he forever had a spot in my heart. I find it interesting you're so condescending with JH and loving of KS.

To the bold, neither did KS. Outwitted by Spags, period.
Not condescending at all. Just pointing out your hypocrisy. In earlier post, you pledged your unwavering love for Harbaugh lol. But Dammit, Shanahan needs to go!

The point is as much as I disagreed with how Harbaugh called the end of that game, I realized they had a reason for it and didn’t delude myself into believing that I knew better.

Last edited:

so at a min it's 3rd and 6 which is a way better place to be then 3rd and 10 in a worse case scenario

Yes, it’s totally outside the realm of possibility that he doesn’t get at least 6 yards on the two carries. All righty then!

Last edited:

Yes, it totally outside the realm of possibility that he doesn’t get at least 6 yards on the two carries. All righty then!

Honestly I think I'm putting you on ignore because it appears impossible for you to post without being a condescending jerk. Feel free to ignore me as well

so at a min it's 3rd and 6 which is a way better place to be then 3rd and 10 in a worse case scenario
Well, perhaps Kyle thought the passes would be successful. But your logic says that because they weren’t, they never had a chance to be. Got cha!

Yes, it totally outside the realm of possibility that he doesn’t get at least 6 yards on the two carries. All righty then!

Honestly I think I'm putting you on ignore because it appears impossible for you to post without being a condescending jerk. Feel free to ignore me as well
Pretty please. Ignore me forever.

You got it dude...try being more of an adult.

I won’t ignore you. I’m here for you man!!!! Hell, I love you man!!!! Said in a drunk tone.

No matter whether or not Kyle should have ran more on a few of those drives, ultimately things didn't work out and all we can do is hope for yet another crack at it, even knowing how damn hard it is to just get there. Everything has to fall into place, and that's impossible to control.

I won’t ignore you. I’m here for you man!!!! Hell, I love you man!!!! Said in a drunk tone.
Appreciate it. As an aside, you rocked the high tops

I guess saying at least five times that I would’ve liked to see them run the ball more isn’t enough. You have to agree that there was no possible way that passing the ball in those situations would be effective.

Good times

Javon Hargrave played the Super Bowl with a torn thumb ligament.

Arik Armstead played with a torn meniscus he suffered week 13 against the Eagles. He will have surgery and hopes to be back by training camp.

No matter whether or not Kyle should have ran more on a few of those drives, ultimately things didn't work out and all we can do is hope for yet another crack at it, even knowing how damn hard it is to just get there. Everything has to fall into place, and that's impossible to control.
Agree. Friggin hard to get back but part of the reason that I find “fire Shanahan” and “he’ll never win a Super Bowl” talking points so off base.

Too many avoidable mistakes. No issue with the CMC fumble. Shiot happens to even the greatest players (see Roger Craig). But 4 false start penalties is ridiculous and Luter being in position to have the ball hit his ankle in the first place and then McCloud somehow thinking he should scoop the ball up instead of just falling on it is unacceptable. Totally turned the game around. The Chiefs had a shamrock in their back pockets too. Pacheco fumbles and it goes right to Watson without touching the ground. James drops a punt and it bounces right back to him. Pacheco drops a pitch and is able to get it back. Sometimes the way the ball bounces determines a game.

Bitterly disappointing ending but still a fun season.

Users who are viewing this thread