What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** San Francisco 49ers *** 2024 Official Schedule Is Posted. Week 1 vs NY Jets on MNF (69 Viewers)

Who do you hire if you fire Shanahan and drop Purdy? Mahomes and Reid? Did the Niners embarrass themselves? It sucks losing on the biggest stage, but they have at least one more year in this window and that assumes their next draft class sucks
They won't fire Shanahan, and that's OK. No titles in 30 years, so now SB losses are the accepted standard.

:lmao:

Someone else start a 2024 thread please. I'm above that **** starting now.
You are literally regurgitating the Jed York playbook in 2013, so you have that going for you.
The f are you taking about now?

Who do you hire if you fire Shanahan and drop Purdy? Mahomes and Reid? Did the Niners embarrass themselves? It sucks losing on the biggest stage, but they have at least one more year in this window and that assumes their next draft class sucks
They won't fire Shanahan, and that's OK. No titles in 30 years, so now SB losses are the accepted standard.

:lmao:

Someone else start a 2024 thread please. I'm above that **** starting now.
Unfortunately, I don’t believe you.

Second place is silver, btw
Gator>hi
that was quick :lol:

Congrats on a great season dude. You're set with Purdy now, just don't run into Mahomes again
The wife couldn't believe how calm I was all game. I told her early that Shanahan would call a ****ty game and we'd lose, and then it happened.

I'm going fishing in the morning, so that's cool.
bruv, my team has never been to a super bowl. enjoy the positives (and the fishing)

:banned:

Sorry guys and you have every reason to be disgusted and angry. The Niners were absolutely dominating that game (just like the Eagles were last year). Shanny lost the game tonight by inexplicably moving away from the run so early.
Felt like running the ball should have been a much bigger priority. Was hoping they'd keep going to CMC and be able to mix in Mitchell a bit to really grind down KC by the end of the game. SF lost that game by doing nothing offensively when they had Mahomes on the ropes. Grinding KC down when they had a lead could have allowed them to dictate the end of the game with their running game.

Felt like running the ball should have been a much bigger priority. Was hoping they'd keep going to CMC and be able to mix in Mitchell a bit to really grind down KC by the end of the game. SF lost that game by doing nothing offensively when they had Mahomes on the ropes. Grinding KC down when they had a lead could have allowed them to dictate the end of the game with their running game.
Shanahan always thinks he's smarter than everyone else in the stadium.

I wish he'd hire an OC and give up play calling, he's terrible at it.

Last edited:
Sorry guys and you have every reason to be disgusted and angry. The Niners were absolutely dominating that game (just like the Eagles were last year). Shanny lost the game tonight by inexplicably moving away from the run so early.
First two possessions of the second half, all throws. Purdy did nothing with them. Up 10-3, intercept Mahomes, they could have really set the tone in those two drives. McCaffrey doesn't touch the ball. Awful.

First two possessions of the second half, all throws. Purdy did nothing with them. Up 10-3, intercept Mahomes, they could have really set the tone in those two drives. McCaffrey doesn't touch the ball. Awful.
He needs to have someone else calling plays. Hire a true OC and maybe win a SB, or keep calling plays and failing.

It's a pattern at this point.

:shrug:

As A Hawks fan, I'll say that San Francisco has more than done enough to get a SB win over the last 10 years. But sometimes doing more than enough doesn't work out.

San Fran is always easy for me to root against. But today I did it half heartedly. It's an elite team with players and coaches that are easy to like.

This get rid of Shanahan talk is silly. Philadelphia did that with Andy Reid.

Shanahan is an awesome coach but I simply do not get his game management. Letting that first half clock run out with Mahomes on the other side is deranged. Being happy to take it to the half is a horrible mindset.

This get rid of Shanahan talk is silly
Nobody is seriously saying get rid of him because York loves him, but if he keeps calling plays, he will never win a SB.

I'm happy for them be a playoff team every year, and that's about all Im hoping for now becauee that's all Shanahan has given me hope for. It is what it is.

It'll be interesting to see how their drafts go without Adam Peters.

The window is next season. After that its a free for all.

As long as we keep owning the Eagles, Cowboys, Rams and Seahawks, I'm good.

If I’m really being honest, I think the window is closed. I also think Shanny is starting to get that Marv Levy legacy; good coach but can’t win the big one. Idk who I’d replace him with, and since it’s not going to happen, I guess I don’t care.

The window is next season. After that its a free for all.

As long as we keep owning the Eagles, Cowboys, Rams and Seahawks, I'm good.
Are you an alias for Deebo Samuel? I don’t know about the Rams or Seahawks, but it is hilarious that the Eagles are still in all of your brains. Is owning a team 1-1 in recent years, with both times the victorious team dominating? I don’t believe either team owns the other, and find it humorous that this is your thoughts after losing the SB.

Thinking about finding a new team to root for, someone really bad. Maybe like the Panthers. I think I’d rather have no hope than constant letdowns.

Deebo, Aiyuk and Kittle combined for 8 catches for 84 yards.

F'ing criminal.
I think the Chiefs defense gets some credit for this. That secondary of theirs is really, really good. And they have playmakers at all three levels and a coach (Spags) who knows how to use them.

The Niners played great. They just didn't win. And they are in great hands with Lynch and Shanahan. They will be back.

I thought Shanahan should have called time out earlier in last two minutes of first half. 49ers would have got ball back with about 50 seconds left and a couple time outs. He should have kicked off in OT because there is no way you can lose on defense. KC score that TD then you know what you need and you have the option to go for 2 to win.

Two biggest plays were 3rd down after two minute warning and third and goal in OT -- both times KC out coached/schemed SF. Two blitzes resulting in throw aways. Seems like Shanahan should have been able to do better on those plays since he should have known KC was bringing pressure. KC stopped SF on those, and SF could not stop KC that final drive.

Two similar losses in Super Bowl to KC is hard to take. Feel horrible for Greenlaw getting hurt like he did.

Thought Purdy played well. May not be remembering it right, but Mahomes seemed to have many more receivers running wide open than Purdy did. KC defense is very good, but an offensive genius should have been able to find a way to get Kittle/Deebo open.

Offense just never seemed to click over the last 3 games. Did enough to win the first two, but just not enough yesterday.

Overall, pretty good year as we lost in OT in the Super Bowl to a seemingly magic QB.

Shanahan not knowing the overtime rules is inexcusable.

He should have let KC have the ball first so he would know what he's up against after their possession.

Just another terrible decision in another choke job by Shanahan. It's what he does.

Enjoy the offseason everyone.

Put me in the camp that although KS will never be fired he should be. This is a super-talented team. They aren't in the playoffs every year because of Shanahan. They are there because of the talent.

I don't know what the numbers were but the whole 2nd half was pass, pass, pass while everyone in the world was screaming run. Get to OT and he decides to get the ball in CMC's hands and they look brilliant.

Terrible call not taking the TO at the end of the first half. He always comes up super weak in those moments

It's even more terrible taking the kickoff in OT. Borderline unforgivable. You know the chiefs are moving the ball like crazy, they have mahones and they have 4 downs to do it all on by giving them 2nd possession. A rookie wouldn't have made that kind of error

His career is absolutely full of this garbage. He clearly can't perform in the big game...the anxiety gets to him

Shanahan not knowing the overtime rules is inexcusable.

He should have let KC have the ball first so he would know what he's up against after their possession.

Just another terrible decision in another choke job by Shanahan. It's what he does.

Enjoy the offseason everyone.
God you’re a moron.

He knew the rule and explained clearly why he took the ball.

Plenty of fan bases out there that would be ecstatic with Kyle as there coach.
Yep

Took over a total shiot show team and after two years to rebuild, team has made it to at least rhe NFC championship game in 4 of the last 5 years. Plus, the “fire Shanahan” crowd never tells you who they should hire in his place. Bunch of clowns

Glad you are here to set all the clowns straight with that arrogant attitude and belittling of everyone else. That will show them!

People keep saying things like this, but it's another level of frustration to be the team that gets there but can't put it away over and over again and the common factor in all of it is poor coaching decisions when it matters most. I feel for 49er fans. In a lot of ways getting to the Superbowl and constantly losing is a tougher pill to swallow than just consistently losing. That cliff you end up falling off of just gets higher and higher.

People keep saying things like this, but it's another level of frustration to be the team that gets there but can't put it away over and over again and the common factor in all of it is poor coaching decisions when it matters most. I feel for 49er fans. In a lot of ways getting to the Superbowl and constantly losing is a tougher pill to swallow than just consistently losing. That cliff you end up falling off of just gets higher and higher.

Other teams don't have the talent SF has. This is a huge window right now with probably the most talented roster in the league.

You think KS is going to make the Jets awesome if he goes there?

And as I said up post. It's not this game...it's his long history of choking.

Yep

Took over a total shiot show team and after two years to rebuild, team has made it to at least rhe NFC championship game in 4 of the last 5 years. Plus, the “fire Shanahan” crowd never tells you who they should hire in his place. Bunch of clowns

Glad you are here to set all the clowns straight with that arrogant attitude and belittling of everyone else. That will show them!
Put him on ignore. I dont let idiot strangers on the internet that name call like 3rd graders because they dont agree with an opinion ruin my forum experience.

Yep

Truth hurts

Yep

Put him on ignore. I dont let idiot strangers on the internet that name call like 3rd graders ruin my forum experience.
You promised you were going away multiple times this season, yet here you are still. You melted down during both the NFC playoff games before the comebacks, promising you are done with the team, yet here you are still.

It’s just a form of entertainment.

Indeed. There will always be questions about him for some until he wins the Super Bowl, but 8 playoff wins in the last 5 seasons is nothing to sneeze at. Let's look at the other guys usually considered top coaches and their recent playoff history (leaving out Andy Reid for obvious reasons).

-Shanahan has 8 playoff wins in the last 5 seasons (and has never had the luxury of having a stud QB)
-Mike Tomlin has 3 playoffs wins in the last 13 seasons (and had a future HOF QB for the bulk of that stretch)
-Pete Carroll has 1 playoff wins in the last 5 seasons
-Bill Belichick hasn't won a playoff game since the 2018 season
-Sean McVay has 5 playoff wins and one Super Bowl win in the last 5 seasons
-John Harbaugh has 2 playoff wins in the last 9 seasons

Rest assured that if the 49ers fired Shanahan today, teams would be tripping over themselves to hire him.

Other teams don't have the talent SF has. This is a huge window right now with probably the most talented roster in the league.

You think KS is going to make the Jets awesome if he goes there?
That’s a ridiculous statement. 49ers had a much worse roster than the Jets currently have when Shanahan took over. He was a big part of building the talented roster. He could absolutely make the Jets awesome in a year or two.

Again, you whine about him but who is your choice to replace him?

Shanahan will never be his dad, no matter how hard he tries.

He will go down in history like Marv Levy, who had 11 playoff wins, 4 SB appearances, and no SB wins. Yay.

I did bet the Chiefs Moneyline, so the night wasn't a total loss.

Put me in the camp that although KS will never be fired he should be
I dont think he should be fired, he did build this team, but he should absolutely not call his own plays, he's shown time and time again that he can't handle it when the pressure is on and his game/clock management leaves a lot to be desired.

I wonder what McVay could do with a roster like this.

Last edited:
:bag: I dont post very often here since other people say things more faster and eloquently. I'm more in numbness than to be mad or other rage-filled angst. That's coming in time this offseason.

But I have very very little to zero confidence in Shanahan in big games. He's a great day to day head coach, players love him, great offensive schemes, can win to get to the playoffs. His game management is super suspect in big games (flukes aside ala Greenlaw and kickoff hitting players leg-ray ray not falling down on it fumble). Even if the Niners are spotted a decent lead, it feels like he'll bungle the opportunity as seen in past 3 Super Bowls he's been in. And just saw the blurb about the OT confusion between coaches/players smh.

He's ultimately a loser....until he wins a Super Bowl. Same as the Steve Young 1990's era Niners that the Cowboys beat 2x in NFC Championships before breaking through in 1994 thank god. 30 years ago and the Niners have choked since so it's been pretty painful. We've dealt with crappy teams for sure since and now three <very winnable> Super Bowl losses in three tries.

I'm not sure who's out there to replace Shanahan. I'd have loved Harbaugh back (sans Roman), or hell Vrabel feels like a decent choice with the right OC. But who knows since it's not gonna happen anyways. Just please no weird Tomsula situation waiting for the Niners if/when it happens (the Tomsula memes were gold though).

I really hope Shanahan wins one eventually, he's not a bad guy by any accounts; feels like he's now in a Reid situation can't win til he does situation. He's got the right horses - Purdy looks great and he's not the problem. Kid's only 1.5 seasons in and what he's done is amazing (thanks to KS). I turned off the game immediately after the loss to avoid any KC non-players (hangers on/owners/super fans) coverage so I don't know if they <KS/Niners coaches> addressed that if they knew KC loves to do weird blitzes on 3rd downs, where was the counters. I know about Jones blowing up the last one where Purdy missed Jennings...but the OL has always needed to be addressed and I'd rather have them build out that than get another 1-2 <expensive> DL's.....Among other things but the game's over.

Some fans are more about the journey than the final destination. Others are all or nothing. Still other outside fans with less success are envious about not getting there in the first place. Either way is whatever, and shooting down the other side does nothing. I'm in the all or nothing camp myself. Rather the team win a championship every 10ish yrs and in between be total crap. I've dealt with it as a Dodger fan and being a fan of these teams are a different level of pain of existence. It's great they make good moves and compete every year til they inevitably crap the bed (2020 champ aside) in the playoffs/championships. Game management comes down to several plays every game, I have zero trust in the Dodgers coaching and Kyle Shanahan to do it right. Ofc, this is my own viewpoint for myself as a fan, not gonna try to convince anyone else of it or say it's the right way to think.

I saw the perfect Kyle Shanahan summation <until he wins a championship I suppose> and didn't think to save it. Probably butchered it but to paraphrase:

"Kyle Shanahan has the best strategy for every and any game situation except for in the current relevant situation"

I saw online that every single person who vigorously defends Draymond Green’s actions was also desperately pulling for the Niners last night and for some reason knowing they are devastated is helping me process this.

Once Dre Greenlaw went down, Oren Burks filled in for him. Here’s how he did in coverage:

• 9 targets
• 9 catches allowed
• 1 touchdown
• 134.7 passer rating when targeted
• 32.1 PFF coverage grade

Users who are viewing this thread