What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Save $ on cell service -- Ting Mobile / Solavei (+ other MVNOs) (4 Viewers)

Hmmmm, just do it online.  I was all the way to the checkout process (it's actually $20/month, not 15) before I checked my email to see what my last Ting bill was and saw the $50 offer. 
Yeah, I ran it though as far as I could online too.  I am thinking of switching my daughter's phone.  I'm only paying Red Pocket $10 now, but for way less talk and data. 

Hmmmm, just do it online.  I was all the way to the checkout process (it's actually $20/month, not 15) before I checked my email to see what my last Ting bill was and saw the $50 offer. 
If the $20 is for Sprint, there is a $5 discount for auto-pay.

Looks like it will work for Ting phones on their GSM network but not on their CDMA network (makes sense).

if you are on the fence about that $15/Sprint plan... get a move on, they are ending the promotion on Friday:  https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/06/13/sprint-end-15-unlimited-wireless-plan-week/698442002/
HFS this has been the biggest headache.   Wish I never saw this.  Now I'm going to have to find a company not Ting or Sprint to take my business too.  Both have absolutely dropped the ball here. Just hit 40 min on hold after spending a half hr on the phone earlier this morning.  It's insane. 

Oof...figured I'd have a little time.  Unfortunately I have 5 Ting devices.  One of them is GSM only (d'oh!) and I don't have time to switch carriers with the other two - any switch will take a day or two and I'm out of time for that.

Sounds like the other two - iphones which can work on either network - are eligible.  SOUNDS like it, but after I went through and entered my info, it said I'd have to call in. On the phone with the guy now...wish me luck!

OK so the first guy hung up on me.

The second gal got my info. and then checked my credit.  Sprint credit comes on the phone with us, asks me for some information, and says - not to me, to the sprint sales associate - that they wouldn't be able to continue my application, and that I'd get a letter in the mail in 7-10 days with the reason why.

I'm a footballguy.  It goes without saying that I have excellent credit.  In fact, I double checked through my citicard account and my FICO score is above 800 (look at me).

Such a scam.  Thank you, Sprint, for validating the reason I went to ting in the first place.  Guess I'm going to have to wait for the price of 4G to come down once 5G rolls out.  My guess is that Ting will end up with cheaper 4G plans at some point too.

Anyone tried MintSIM?
I've been using MintSim and it works well. Uses t-mobile's network so if that works for you then I'd say go for it. It's hard to beat their prices, but you have to prepay in 3, 6 or 12 month increments, which might not be for everybody. But I paid $240 for a year with 5 gigs a month, which I thought was a great deal. 

You know, the more I think about this the more pissed I get at Sprint. I can't wait to get this letter explaining why they refused to qualify my credit for two lines. Bunch of crap. 

FBG26 said:
I've been using MintSim and it works well. Uses t-mobile's network so if that works for you then I'd say go for it. It's hard to beat their prices, but you have to prepay in 3, 6 or 12 month increments, which might not be for everybody. But I paid $240 for a year with 5 gigs a month, which I thought was a great deal. 
Is mintsim easier to deal with than Sprint? How easy is the setup and such? If I did the $20 a month plan, probably $25 a month after taxes, I’d cut my cell phone bill in half over a year. 

Is mintsim easier to deal with than Sprint? How easy is the setup and such? If I did the $20 a month plan, probably $25 a month after taxes, I’d cut my cell phone bill in half over a year. 
I've found mintsim very easy to deal with, though I don't have any experience with Sprint so I can't compare. I ported my number from Verizon and typed some of my account info wrong, which delayed the port. But the mintsim customer service reps were helpful, responsive, and got it fixed quickly. After setup, I've never had any other reason to call for anything. 

You know, the more I think about this the more pissed I get at Sprint. I can't wait to get this letter explaining why they refused to qualify my credit for two lines. Bunch of crap. 
Have you ever had Sprint before? I had Sprint and ported out but came back for the free year and there was an issue with the credit department when I signed back up. It made it look like I already had an account.

Have you ever had Sprint before? I had Sprint and ported out but came back for the free year and there was an issue with the credit department when I signed back up. It made it look like I already had an account.
Not that I recall.  Doesn't matter.  I've had 0 issues with Ting and frankly with that kind of service at Sprint I'll stick with Ting tyvm.  I've had Verizon so not interested in going back there either...

Does Mint Sim do full force LTE or are speeds capped (like Cricket caps speed at 8 MBps downloads and still calls it "LTE" which is technically true, it's just LTE technology delivering HSPA+ speed)?

Made the switch to Mint because it was something new and much cheaper. Just had to pay my last bill to Verizon and the number ported within seconds. At least I think it is up and ready. My voice mails seem to have been deleted though. Is that normal or no?

Made the switch to Mint because it was something new and much cheaper. Just had to pay my last bill to Verizon and the number ported within seconds. At least I think it is up and ready. My voice mails seem to have been deleted though. Is that normal or no?
I'm pretty sure voicemails are stored by the carrier (unlike texts which are stored on your phone). So unless you somehow saved your voicemails to your phone, I think it makes sense that you'd lose your voicemail when you close your account on Verizon. You'll need to re-setup your voicemail on Mint. 

Need some advice.

I switched jobs a month ago and had to turn in my company phone and #.  I went and grabbed a cheap Android on prepaid Verizon to get me through when the new IPhones are announced.  My wife is currently on ATT but the Verizon network is better where I work so we will be switching to that “network”.

So the dilemma is that i dropped my Android in the pool and now it’s dead.  Tried the rice trick etc.  took it apart and you can see the shorts on the circuit boards.  So here are my questions.

1.  I need a phone for about 2 months anyone know of any deals on phones currently that will work on Verizon’s network?

2.  Who here is on a Verizon network MVNO and how do you like it?

Need some advice.

I switched jobs a month ago and had to turn in my company phone and #.  I went and grabbed a cheap Android on prepaid Verizon to get me through when the new IPhones are announced.  My wife is currently on ATT but the Verizon network is better where I work so we will be switching to that “network”.

So the dilemma is that i dropped my Android in the pool and now it’s dead.  Tried the rice trick etc.  took it apart and you can see the shorts on the circuit boards.  So here are my questions.

1.  I need a phone for about 2 months anyone know of any deals on phones currently that will work on Verizon’s network?

2.  Who here is on a Verizon network MVNO and how do you like it?
Gazelle.com is always a good place to look at for used digital devices.

Have you had first hand experience with them?

I've never bought from them but have been tempted on a 13" ipad pro now that a new one is about to drop. I'm assuming a price drop is in the near future on the used/older model.
I've used Gazelle for buy used phones and have had good experiences. Once I got a phone that clearly had a failing battery as it died way more quickly than it should have, and returning it for a full refund was no problem.

Gazelle.com is always a good place to look at for used digital devices.
Have you had first hand experience with them?

I've never bought from them but have been tempted on a 13" ipad pro now that a new one is about to drop. I'm assuming a price drop is in the near future on the used/older model.
My father purchased an iPhone from them a couple years ago. No problems.

Anyone have an opinion of the best MVNO that can use Verizon towers?  I do not recieve ATT service in my office but I do recieve Verizon.  Wife is currently on postpaid ATT, and I am on prepaid Verizon.  I am looking at buying 2 new Iphones and am trying to weigh the options around jsut going with postpaid Verizon or an MVNO.  A few other questions.

I see MVNO lose priority on towers when they are full.  Any thoughts here?  Has it been an issue?

Is there a service that will switch to the best network? I.E. If I am with MVNO "A" do they have the ability to use a Verizon tower or ATT tower?

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have an opinion of the best MVNO that can use Verizon towers?  I do not recieve ATT service in my office but I do recieve Verizon.  Wife is currently on postpaid ATT, and I am on prepaid Verizon.  I am looking at buying 2 new Iphones and am trying to weigh the options around jsut going with postpaid Verizon or an MVNO.  A few other questions.

I see MVNO lose priority on towers when they are full.  Any thoughts here?  Has it been an issue?

Is there a service that will switch to the best network? I.E. If I am with MVNO "A" do they have the ability to use a Verizon tower or ATT tower?
See if you can find a Visible invite.  Red Pocket may be an option too depending on data needs. 

Anyone have an opinion of the best MVNO that can use Verizon towers?  I do not recieve ATT service in my office but I do recieve Verizon.  Wife is currently on postpaid ATT, and I am on prepaid Verizon.  I am looking at buying 2 new Iphones and am trying to weigh the options around jsut going with postpaid Verizon or an MVNO.  
I had been on Mint Mobile (T-mobile towers), but recently switched to Comcast / Xfinity Mobile, which uses Verizon's towers. You have to be a Comcast customer for TV and/or internet to be eligible to use Xfinity Mobile, but it's a pretty good deal deal for cell service if you already use them for cable/internet.  $15/gig or $45 for unlimited, with no line fee.  My wife and I don't use a lot of data, so our bill for two lines is usually between $30-$45.

I am in the process of switching to Xfinity Mobile. I set it up earlier this week, and received the phones today. I am going to be setting up myself (iPhone 8 - 264g) and two HS sons (one iPhone 8 - 264g, and the other an S9 64g). We are paying for the phones over 24 months, no interest. I have all of my electronic services thru Xfinity (Phone, internet, TV, Security) so I figured adding one more might save me some $$$.

Here is what I am paying per month.

iPhone 8: $29
AppleCare*: $12
Calls/Messaging: Included**
Per Month Data: $12/g

$53 each, per month. I was paying somewhere around $200 with AT&T, but the boys had old phones (iPhone 6 and 5s).

Since my boys don't tend to use much data during the school year (they don't drive yet, so they are usually somewhere that has wifi), and I am home all day, we should be able to use 1 maybe 2 gigs at most each month. On AT&T we shared a plan that was 6 gig with rollover, and I rarely ran over. On those months that we are going to be traveling in the summer, we may move up to unlimited ($45/month) and we won't worry about running over.

The other big piece was a gift card of $300 per phone that we will get 90 days or so after we start, that basically offsets 6 months of my costs.

Xfinity is carried by Verizon, which helps, because I seem to have more issues when we travel than my wife, who is on Verizon thru her work.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just made the switch from T-Mobile to total wireless(vzw network), phones were easy to port over but iPad has been a pain.  Initially speeds seemed capped at 5mb/s but just did a speed test and got over 50mb/s.  Ive read that it takes a few days before full speeds are reached, hoping that's the case.  $85/month for 20gb of data and 3 lines. I was at $130 on T-Mobile and $170ish before that on Verizon.

Anyone here work for/know anyone who works for T-Mobile? Seeing they've got a friends and family thing going for 20% off service. I’m intrigued. 

My son needs data for his work so switching over to Google Fi.

Two of our phones are former Sprint, unlocked (verified with their customer service) but Google sim won't work. Apparently, if the phone is not either on data in the Sprint network or on WiFi when Sprint sends the one and only unlock signal, even if the phone is unlocked according to Sprint, the phone doesn't know it. So I was able to use them on Ting (a Sprint mvno) but not Google Fi. 

You'd think it would be a simple matter for Sprint to resend the code - after all, they can verify that the phone is indeed unlocked - but no. They won't do anything without the name or account number that the phone was originally associated with at Sprint. Of course bought these on the secondary market and have no way of tracking that information down.

I posted about this in the Sprint Community forums, and when I hit a brick wall, I posted "Does anyone else get the feeling that this will not be resolved until sometime files a lawsuit?".

There next day my post was deleted because "threatening lawsuits" is against their forums ToS. SMH

Users who are viewing this thread