What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Seahawks could be in the Driver seat this draft. (1 Viewer)

chris1969

Footballguy
The more I think about it, the more I think that the smartest move for Detroit is to take a T with the 1st pick. The Rams will take a T for sure and that would probably be the smartest move for KC as well. That means that Seattle is in a spot where they can take the Best WR in the draft (which they really need) or trade down to a team looking for a QB. If they take Crabtree, it puts the Browns on the spot to take Curry (they are desperate for LB's), or trade down as well. Cincy, Oak, and Jax will also be looking for T's as well and may be looking to leapfrog each other for the last 1st round tackle left on the board.

Does anyone else agree? It seems to me that Detroit would be foolish to invest so much money in a #1 overall QB that they can't protect. The Rams really wanted Jake Long last year and are more desperate for a T this year. The Chiefs got decent performance from Thigpen and aren't gonna improve much more until they improve their line.

Just my humble opinion, but I'm thinking that when that 3rd tackle gets taken, lots of teams will be getting on the phone.

Definitely don't see the three picks being OT. I can see any of them taking a QB, and even if all of them might prefer to take a T over QB (not sure if that's true), that won't be true if the Rams or Chiefs see their #1 T off the board when they pick.

1. The Lions are hoping that "any" team falls in love with Sanchez or Stafford enough to trade up.

1. The Lions are hoping that "any" team falls in love with Sanchez or Stafford enough to trade up.
:shrug: If I'm the Lion's I sell the idea that I'm taking one of the two QBs with that pick and pray another team has visions of Flacco and Ryan dancing in their head so they make a solid offer for the #1.

The more I think about it, the more I think that the smartest move for Detroit is to take a T with the 1st pick. The Rams will take a T for sure and that would probably be the smartest move for KC as well. That means that Seattle is in a spot where they can take the Best WR in the draft (which they really need) or trade down to a team looking for a QB. If they take Crabtree, it puts the Browns on the spot to take Curry (they are desperate for LB's), or trade down as well. Cincy, Oak, and Jax will also be looking for T's as well and may be looking to leapfrog each other for the last 1st round tackle left on the board.

Does anyone else agree? It seems to me that Detroit would be foolish to invest so much money in a #1 overall QB that they can't protect. The Rams really wanted Jake Long last year and are more desperate for a T this year. The Chiefs got decent performance from Thigpen and aren't gonna improve much more until they improve their line.

Just my humble opinion, but I'm thinking that when that 3rd tackle gets taken, lots of teams will be getting on the phone.
I don't think Curry is a good fit for Cleveland's 3-4 defense. I think they are looking for someone that can rush the passer in the OLB position. I think Everette Brown would be a better fit for them if they go there over Malcolm Jenkins.

Who else in the top 10 even needs a QB? KC and Seattle but they have other needs. SF I suppose but would they sell the farm to go from 10 to 1. The Lions aren't trading out of the top 10 entirely.

:link: If I'm the Lion's I sell the idea that I'm taking one of the two QBs with that pick and pray another team has visions of Flacco and Ryan dancing in their head so they make a solid offer for the #1.
Yep. I just hope we aren't dumb enough to take one of the two QBs... if we can't trade the #1 pick, then take best OT there is, and shoot for a QB later on or wait till next year and rough it in 2009 so you can draft Bradford or someone in 2010.

I don't think Curry is a good fit for Cleveland's 3-4 defense. I think they are looking for someone that can rush the passer in the OLB position. I think Everette Brown would be a better fit for them if they go there over Malcolm Jenkins.
He'd play inside in the 3-4. He has great versatility and that's a plus for a team that needs a bunch of LB. I love the guys instincts and reaction time. Of course this will probably change after the combine, but right now Curry looks like the best LB available.

Definitely don't see the three picks being OT. I can see any of them taking a QB, and even if all of them might prefer to take a T over QB (not sure if that's true), that won't be true if the Rams or Chiefs see their #1 T off the board when they pick.
I've got 4 T's rated very close together at the top of the 1st and at least 6 teams in the top 10 that could really use T's. Teams reached a little for T last year and I don't think it will be much different this year.

Who else in the top 10 even needs a QB? KC and Seattle but they have other needs. SF I suppose but would they sell the farm to go from 10 to 1. The Lions aren't trading out of the top 10 entirely.
Tyler Thigpen played pretty well this season, so I can't see KC reaching for a QB that high.
It all depends on who the coach is

Tyler Thigpen played pretty well this season, so I can't see KC reaching for a QB that high.
Thigpen + spread offense = fool's goldHopefully for the Chiefs and their fans, Piloi knows this.

I think it must stink to have nothing to look forward to except the draft. ;)
We don't live in Pittsburgh so we have plenty of things to look forward to outside of the NFL.With Taylor Mays staying in school I don't see the Seahawks drafting anyone but Crabtree this year at #4.

That's so rare because the price is high and so is the contract. What would they want for the pick? I don't see 3 tackles being worth the top 3 picks.

He'd play inside in the 3-4. He has great versatility and that's a plus for a team that needs a bunch of LB. I love the guys instincts and reaction time. Of course this will probably change after the combine, but right now Curry looks like the best LB available.
If his versatility makes him good enough to play outside then maybe, but it doesn't seem like ILB is the Browns' biggest problem right now. Jackson's fine, Davis and Williams are tolerable at worst, and there were high expectations for Bell before the injury.I didn't see much of Cleveland this year though. Was LB really their biggest issue?

Last edited by a moderator:

If his versatility makes him good enough to play outside then maybe, but it doesn't seem like ILB is the Browns' biggest problem right now. Jackson's fine, Davis and Williams are tolerable at worst, and there were high expectations for Bell before the injury.I didn't see much of Cleveland this year though. Was LB really their biggest issue?
Rodgers did a great job of clogging the middle and the rush defense was still pretty poor. Davis is a FA. D'Quell Jackson did seem to improve a lot before the end of the season, but took a big step back in the beginning of it. Leon Williams did pretty much nothing and Bell is an unknown quantity at this point. Given that Curry can play the outside as well, I think he may be a better choice than reaching a little for Brown. I'm really hoping that the Browns can trade down and get 2 LB's early, but being in a top 5 spot doesn't have the greatest odds of that happening.There's a lot of good 3-4 LB's in the lower 1st round.

Sea Bass said:
kevjones22 said:
CrossEyed said:
I think it must stink to have nothing to look forward to except the draft. :unsure:
We don't live in Pittsburgh so we have plenty of things to look forward to outside of the NFL.With Taylor Mays staying in school I don't see the Seahawks drafting anyone but Crabtree this year at #4.
:lmao: I would be extremly comfortable drafting Crabtree.
A playmaker at wr is a need for sure, but I think an interior d-lineman or left tackle to replace Jones are bigger needs. Crabtree might be too much of a luxury to use a top five pick on. Having said that ruskell will botch the first pick and pick a lb or db ... the idiot.

Any homers in the Cleveland area thinking the Browns may be thinking RB with their first pick? Seems like they could use a Wells or Moreno as Lewis is getting up there in both age(for a RB) and wear and tear.

Sea Bass said:
kevjones22 said:
CrossEyed said:
I think it must stink to have nothing to look forward to except the draft. :cry:
:goodposting: I would be extremly comfortable drafting Crabtree.
A playmaker at wr is a need for sure, but I think an interior d-lineman or left tackle to replace Jones are bigger needs. Crabtree might be too much of a luxury to use a top five pick on. Having said that ruskell will botch the first pick and pick a lb or db ... the idiot.
Yeah but he'll nail the 2nd rounder.Really it will be hard to screw it up, unless he picks a position where we have no need. But that's unlikely as there are many, many needs. His biggest mistake will come if he doesn't lock down Hill.

Ramblin Wreck said:
Da Guru said:
Maybe even more important than that, the top rookie picks are so expensive that those picks are virtually untradeable now. In fact the only trades I can recall involving those picks in the last decade have been with not just good but what were considered elite QB prospects (e.g. Rivers-Eli). As good as Stafford is, I don't hear people talking about him like that, and even less so Sanchez.

If Seattle really wants Crabtree they CANNOT trade down. Any one of Cinci, Oak and Jax would likely take him. Especially Oak & Jax.

As much as Seattle needs to build on the lines, every time I watch Fitzgerald play I think about having a big, physical WR to throw to. If Crabtree's still there, snag him and I'll be very happy with the pick.

Thigpen + spread offense = fool's goldHopefully for the Chiefs and their fans, Piloi knows this.
Pioli is from the Pats organization, so I doubt he takes a QB that early.What DE is worth picking here? They need HUGE help on the Dline.

Pioli is from the Pats organization, so I doubt he takes a QB that early.What DE is worth picking here? They need HUGE help on the Dline.
Good question! Maybin, Orakpo and Brown are all more 3-4 OLB's and Tyson Jackson is more of a run stuffing 3-4 DE. I don't have a single, true 4-3 DE ranked as a 1st rounder.

Good question! Maybin, Orakpo and Brown are all more 3-4 OLB's and Tyson Jackson is more of a run stuffing 3-4 DE. I don't have a single, true 4-3 DE ranked as a 1st rounder.
Michael Johnson :rolleyes: I think Orakpo will be a 4-3 DE too.

Michael Johnson :lol: I think Orakpo will be a 4-3 DE too.
Johnson is 259 lbs and Orakpo is 255 lbsJohnson has the frame to grow into though, but I have him ranked as a second rounder. Orakpo isn't gonna get much bigger. I have Greg Hardy ranked above Johnson and he's at 267 lbs, but He's still just an early 2nd rounder in my rankings. None of these guys would I take with the 3rd overall choice in a 4-3 defense unless they did something amazing at the combine.

Michael Johnson :confused: I think Orakpo will be a 4-3 DE too.
Johnson is 259 lbs and Orakpo is 255 lbsJohnson has the frame to grow into though, but I have him ranked as a second rounder. Orakpo isn't gonna get much bigger. I have Greg Hardy ranked above Johnson and he's at 267 lbs, but He's still just an early 2nd rounder in my rankings. None of these guys would I take with the 3rd overall choice in a 4-3 defense unless they did something amazing at the combine.
I'm as big a Michael Johnson fan as there is but expect him to light up the combine with tremendous measurables. I know guys shoot up the draft board every year when they do that whether they should or not. I think MJ is a mid first rounder. He can flat rush the passer and that's a wanted skill in the NFL. He is weak against the run though.

Users who are viewing this thread