What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Seahawks to re-sign Koren Robinson (1 Viewer)

[scooter]

Footballguy
I was gonna post it in one of the many (MANY) Seattle-WR threads, but this news is just too big to hide. :unsure:

Seahawks turn to Robinson

Receiver expected to sign

RENTON -- The Seahawks' on-going search for a wide receiver has finally led them to a familiar face: Koren Robinson.

The team's former first-round draft choice was at the team's facility Monday night and was expected to sign a contract Tuesday after he passes his physical. The ninth selection overall in the 2001 draft, Robinson was released after the 2004 season when alcohol problems were threatening his promising career.

But the Seahawks are desperate for a receiver who knows their system because Nate Burleson, Ben Obomanu and Logan Payne have been lost for the season to injuries and Bobby Engram and Deion Branch are not ready to return from their injuries.

As coach Mike Holmgren put it earlier Monday, "Desperate times call for desperate measures."

Robinson, 28, caught 78 passes for 1,240 yards and five touchdowns while starting at split end in 2002, the most productive of his four seasons with the team. "I don't know about the football side of it all," quarterback Matt Hasselbeck said earlier in the day when asked about Robinson. "I haven't seen him play in a long time. But I guess what I care about more is that he grew up and really matured and got his life turned around in the right direction."

Hasselbeck saw Robinson during the offseason, when Robinson told him he was married, had one child and another was on the way. "So I'm really happy for him," Hasselbeck said. "I'm proud of him."

Robinson was suspended for four games in 2004 for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy. He also was arrested for DUI in May 2005, which led to his release by the Seahawks. He played the 2005 season with the Minnesota Vikings, and was voted to the Pro Bowl as a kick returner. But the Vikings released him after he was arrested on a DUI charge in 2006 and agreed to plead to fleeing police. Robinson also spent 90 days in jail in 2007, stemming from that 2006 incident.

The Green Bay Packers signed Robinson in 2006, but he served a one-year suspension before returning to the Packers for the final nine games last season, when he caught 21 passes and averaged 23.8 yards returning kickoffs. The Packers released him in May.

The Seahawks talked about signing Robinson last week, but it appeared that Holmgren lost that debate to club president Tim Ruskell, who had made the decision to release Robinson in 2005. The Seahawks did not contact Robinson last week, when they instead signed Billy McMullen and Samie Parker -- although Parker was released Saturday.

Asked about Robinson on Monday, Holmgren said, "I'll say the same thing -- he is on that list. The value there is he's played. He knows this system. He's played with us before."

And apparently will play with them again.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/379...robinson16.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm torn. Do they really want him back for what might amount to one game? Ugh.
branch and engram won't be ready for a few more weeks...
They only have 1 more game before their BYE, and Engram is supposed to return after that. But Branch still isn't practicing with the team -- and who knows if he'll ever be 100% again? Right now this team is down to 3 healthy WRs (2 of which weren't even on the team 6 days ago).

Latest Vegas Odds:

Sprained ACL: 8-1

Pulled Hamstring: 3-2

Turf Toe: 5-1

Torn Meniscus: 15-1

Broken Clavicle: 100-1

Separated Shoulder: 150-1

I got 100 units on Turf Toe, but that Separated Shoulder is some sweet action.

Latest Vegas Odds:Sprained ACL: 8-1Pulled Hamstring: 3-2Turf Toe: 5-1Torn Meniscus: 15-1Broken Clavicle: 100-1Separated Shoulder: 150-1I got 100 units on Turf Toe, but that Separated Shoulder is some sweet action.
Put me down for a hundred on "arrested for impaired driving before he has the chance to take the field."

As coach Mike Holmgren put it earlier Monday, "Desperate times call for desperate measures."
Not exactly a ringing endorsement here from Holmgren. If I were Robinson, I'd start drinking again.

FWIW, I heard Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan talk about Koren on the dirve home last week. Both were very surprised Koren hadn't gotten a call from someone and, if he was a GM, he'd be camped out at his door. Some guy called up who was a golf pro in Carolina said he played with Koren on a regular basis, was clean and in great shape. Again, Kirwan went so far as to say he'd make some phone calls to help get this guy on a roster.

Trust me, I have no horse in this race, been burned by Koren a number of times, just reporting the news.

i don't expect much from robinson here. he's done little since he left seattle, iirc...
Other than make the probowl as a kick returner, turn Favre into a crusader for him only to be edged out by young WRs on a rebuilding team, and become a spokesman for the NFL to rookies about screwing up. He knows Seattle's system, they need a kick returner (unless they really like Wilson setting them up at the 12 for a game winning drive), and if he keeps his head on straight which he has for a while now he can help the Hawks avoid a completely disastrous start as well as becoming a great story of redemtion. And he'll be cheap. Really no risk for the Hawks because they don't need much from him but he has the upside to be a great story. He was never as bad as the current #1 WR Courtney Taylor, it's really desperate times.

i don't expect much from robinson here. he's done little since he left seattle, iirc...
Other than make the probowl as a kick returner, turn Favre into a crusader for him only to be edged out by young WRs on a rebuilding team, and become a spokesman for the NFL to rookies about screwing up. He knows Seattle's system, they need a kick returner (unless they really like Wilson setting them up at the 12 for a game winning drive), and if he keeps his head on straight which he has for a while now he can help the Hawks avoid a completely disastrous start as well as becoming a great story of redemtion. And he'll be cheap. Really no risk for the Hawks because they don't need much from him but he has the upside to be a great story. He was never as bad as the current #1 WR Courtney Taylor, it's really desperate times.
:goodposting:The point is, he's better than Taylor and he knows the system better than McMullen. And it's not like he's washed up (he's only 28 and he's only been out of the league since May).

Desperate times call for desperate measures here as well. He could be the #1 WR there for a few weeks and be pretty productive even after Branch and Engram return. Worth a flier IMO

I half-seriously called this in a thread the other day, but I'm sure I wasn't alone.

Anyway, I was surprised that Robinson got (AFAIK) zero serious attention in the offseason. He was a decent roleplayer on a team loaded with WRs in GB. Unless he's really lost a lot, I would think he could start for 4 or 5 teams and contribute to twice as many.

Still would not pick him up for FF, of course.

Other than make the probowl as a kick returner
And we all know how meaningful making the pro bowl is.
edged out by young WRs on a rebuilding team,
Because he sucked....
and become a spokesman for the NFL to rookies about screwing up.
Very nice but very irrelevant to being able to produce.
it's really desperate times.
That's what this gets down to. I don't get why they didn't call Glenn or nearly any other out-of-work WR, but I guess they just can't resist the "upside" which he has failed to produce for quite a long time.

I want to know why the Seahawks haven't picked up the phone I dialed Taco Wallace's number. He knows the offense, and his name is Taco. What else do they need?

This is good news. Also shows Ruskell is willing to swallow his pride and actually sign someone who isnt an Eagle scout.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement here from Holmgren. If I were Robinson, I'd start drinking again.
Holmgren didn't have a problem having Koren back last week, but the decision wasn't his alone to make. He said this last week:
Holmgren was asked if too much had happened with Robinson in the past to consider bringing him back. "That depends on who you ask," he said. "My comfort level with that would be OK. But again, there's more to discuss."

KRob actually is a great opion with what they ahve right now...

Branch: Torn ACL

Engram: Out indefinitely

Obamanu: IR for the season

Logan Payne: IR for the season

Wallace: Out for a month

There just are not a lot fo options and this guy actually knows the playbook I would imagine. Just by accident he and hasselbeck should connect a lot on Sunday. if he can pass the physical and is ready to roll...I don't think KRob is even 30 or if he is not much older than that I think. i could see him easily snagging 5-6 balls for 60-80 yds and maybe a score, call me a total optimist but I like him much better than what they have been kicking around in the early season.

KRob actually is a great opion with what they ahve right now...Branch: Torn ACLEngram: Out indefinitelyObamanu: IR for the seasonLogan Payne: IR for the seasonWallace: Out for a monthThere just are not a lot fo options and this guy actually knows the playbook I would imagine. Just by accident he and hasselbeck should connect a lot on Sunday. if he can pass the physical and is ready to roll...I don't think KRob is even 30 or if he is not much older than that I think. i could see him easily snagging 5-6 balls for 60-80 yds and maybe a score, call me a total optimist but I like him much better than what they have been kicking around in the early season.
Agreed. Given the totality of circumstances, I think Robinson could step in and do a halfway decent Nate Burleson imitation.

09/16 Seahawks: Colbert traded to SeattleThe NewsThe Denver Broncos traded receiver Keary Colbert to the Seattle Seahawks in exchange for a late-round draft pick, according to FoxSports.com. Our ViewSeattle has been completely destroyed by injuries to the wide receiver position, and simply need warm bodies right now. He had not caught a pass this season for the Broncos, and despite the 'Hawks struggles, he does not figure to end up making a huge fantasy impact in the coming weeks.

Anyone have an opinion on whether they might also let KRob do the kick returns in addition to playing WR? He did go to a pro bowl a couple years ago as a kick returner. I haven't watched any of the Seattle games so I don't know how well Josh Wilson has looked on returns. Anyone have any insight into the return game? We get points for returns and that would really increase his value.

Anyone have an opinion on whether they might also let KRob do the kick returns in addition to playing WR? He did go to a pro bowl a couple years ago as a kick returner. I haven't watched any of the Seattle games so I don't know how well Josh Wilson has looked on returns. Anyone have any insight into the return game? We get points for returns and that would really increase his value.
Wilson hasn't been good enough. frankly, they needed Robinosn last week - he's an upgrade at KR & WR oiver what they have. They more this snowballs, and stuff gets revealed, the more I want the GM gone as a Seahawks fan.

Other than make the probowl as a kick returner
And we all know how meaningful making the pro bowl is.Well it does show that he was good enough at it to go over 15 other team's returners. Seattle has no one to return kicks but Josh Wilson (Morris, Burleson hurt;Forsett gone) so someone with a good talent at it is needed.

edged out by young WRs on a rebuilding team,
Because he sucked....Believe me, I'm well aware of his shortcomings in the NFL. Very aware, but this isn't offseason free agency where he's being chosen over other FAs. He's being chosen over Samie Parker...

and become a spokesman for the NFL to rookies about screwing up.
Very nice but very irrelevant to being able to produce.But very relevant to his state of mind and off field responsibility, which affedts his on field production (or even attendance)

it's really desperate times.
That's what this gets down to. I don't get why they didn't call Glenn or nearly any other out-of-work WR, but I guess they just can't resist the "upside" which he has failed to produce for quite a long time.
Glenn doesn't know the WCO and is old. Again, this is the second round of in-season WR additions for the Hawks, not free agency. They need a WR and a kick returner, Koro can do both and he already knows the playbook. He's far from a prime choice in general and I'm not dusting off any old jerseys, but he's better and will hit the field faster than any of the other unemployed WRs out there.

Wilson didn't make any friends with Holmgren when he took the last return out of the end zone and only got to the 12. Holmgren more or less singled him out for that play as limiting his options for their last drive. That's not really much insight, but it's way too early to know how he'll be used.

Wilson hasn't been good enough. frankly, they needed Robinosn last week - he's an upgrade at KR & WR oiver what they have. They more this snowballs, and stuff gets revealed, the more I want the GM gone as a Seahawks fan.
:goodposting: I want Ruskell out before he can screw up more than he already has.

Koren has been a problem since he was drafted out of NC State. He was actually a HUGE problem at NC State even though he was a playmaker.

Users who are viewing this thread