What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sedona and Vegas Vacation - Need Recommendations (1 Viewer)

Other than visiting me when you're in the Sedona area, I can give you plenty of other recommendations. To start, though, who is all going? Is hiking or biking an interest? Any dietary restrictions or preferred types of food? Looking to consume alcohol? Golf? Is your lodging set and, if so, are you in the Village of Oak Creek or Sedona proper?

Just my brother and me for Sedona. My other bro and his wife will join us in Vegas. Not very vigorous, but some hiking/ biking. No dietary restrictions. No for the alcohol.

Thanks Guys!

Can't wait.

Just my brother and me for Sedona. My other bro and his wife will join us in Vegas. Not very vigorous, but some hiking/ biking. No dietary restrictions. No for the alcohol.

Thanks Guys!

Can't wait.
Okay, so the Sedona night life isn't all that great and you've eliminated some of the winery options with the no alcohol. But, the hiking is superb and I can recommend some trails based on your location. Will also happily recommend some restaurants for all meals (though you may be too late to make reservations for some).

Are you staying in the Village or Sedona proper?

Also, we're prolly going to rent a jeep and do some off roading.

Is that a better idea than the Pink Adventure Tours?

:thumbup:
The Pink Adventure tours have a pretty good reputation. You'll want to do the one that actually goes off road. It's pretty impressive how they get the jeeps so far off road and into some cool spots. I doubt you could get to these spots with a rental.

Gotta do some work stuff but I'll get you some lengthier details on some things to do later.

I've never kayaked the river, but I'm sure that'd be super fun.

The Pink Adventure tours have a pretty good reputation. You'll want to do the one that actually goes off road. It's pretty impressive how they get the jeeps so far off road and into some cool spots. I doubt you could get to these spots with a rental.

Gotta do some work stuff but I'll get you some lengthier details on some things to do later.

Thanks Zow!

• Thanks
Reactions: Zow

Pink Adventure tours are great. We did one out to Broken Arrow. It’s a lot of fun.

Pink Adventure tours are great. We did one out to Broken Arrow. It’s a lot of fun.
x3

Really enjoyed the pink jeep tour

The wife and I did the Broken Arrow tour in June. 100% worth it. I was told by my aunt who is a local and done several that the Broken Arrow is absolutely the one you want, don't get the outer rim or whatever the other one is called.

Ok...

We're re all set for Sedona.

Star Gazing
Broken Arrow Jeep Tour
Vortex
Some Ruins - Not sure which ones yet.
Just need some more restaurant Recs.

Now we need some Vegas Recommendations..

Thanks again guys!

enjoy.

long thread on vegas for recs...

do you have preferences for your group?
atmosphere, price tier, cuisine, close to where you are staying?

There are a lot of great options (I have a long list), at several price points.

when i go, i like to get things that are less available in my area (or specific celebrity chefs i would like to try)

There are a lot of great options (I have a long list), at several price points.

when i go, i like to get things that are less available in my area (or specific celebrity chefs i would like to try)
One or Two Celebrity Chefs would be good with some Mid Range cuisine as well.

Celebrity restaurants that i really enjoy:
E and jaleo by jose andres at cosmo
Nobu
Morimoto
olives- todd english
china poblano at cosmo

less expensive celeb:
lunches..
gordon ramsey burger
borders grill at Mandalay bay

moderate pricing:
mon ami gabi at Paris
lotus of siam (off the strip and very popular)
greenbergs for corned beef at NYNY

Nobu
Morimoto
olives- todd english
china poblano at cosmo

less expensive celeb:
lunches..
gordon ramsey burger

moderate pricing:
mon ami gabi at Paris
Awesome DK!

Maybe a few cheaper priced restaurants as well?

:oldunsure:

Ok...

Star Gazing
Broken Arrow Jeep Tour
Vortex

Thanks again guys!

I promise you I'll have something to you tonight - I just want to make sure I give detailed suggestions. Coincidentally, I'm actually about to head to Sedona.

I know the ruins you're going to, those are pretty cool. I'm not sure what you mean by "vortex" though. I strongly suggest not getting sucked into some of the more, uh, eccentric (and very expensive) nonsense that goes on down there. Stargazing is a good idea at night a there isn't much else to do. I would throw out, if you're really into astronomy and the stars, taking the trek up to Flagstaff (maybe a 45 minute drive) and checking out the observatory. Really awesome telescopes and we're been having some pretty clear evenings.

How about some good breakfast joints?
Creekside Bistro (actually where I plan on having lunch today) - located in the main part of Sedona by Tilaquepaque (sp?) and awesome outdoor seating. Everything is great.
Red Rock Cafe - in the Village, but worth eating at. Great Benedicts.
Miley's Cafe - also in the Village, killer huevos rancheros
Casa Sedona Restaurant - I haven't been, but heard great things.

Creekside Bistro (actually where I plan on having lunch today) - located in the main part of Sedona by Tilaquepaque (sp?) and awesome outdoor seating. Everything is great.
Creekside Bistro is solid.

Nobu
Morimoto
olives- todd english
china poblano at cosmo

less expensive celeb:
lunches..
gordon ramsey burger

moderate pricing:
mon ami gabi at Paris

The bold is outstanding.

Getting the crab cakes today.

Nobu
Morimoto
olives- todd english
china poblano at cosmo

less expensive celeb:
lunches..
gordon ramsey burger

moderate pricing:
mon ami gabi at Paris
Awesome DK!

Maybe a few cheaper priced restaurants as well?

:oldunsure:

oh boy... i am not a big gambler, so when i go food is my entertainment.
there is a hussong's... i have been to the one in ensenada a bit
at flamingo you have carlos and charlies (i think our huddle group watched a thursday game there once)
margaritaville?
beer haus

i haven't done a lot of breakfasts... the group has done misc buffets. i did have agood one at delano... della's

Nobu
Morimoto
olives- todd english
china poblano at cosmo

less expensive celeb:
lunches..
gordon ramsey burger

moderate pricing:
mon ami gabi at Paris

The bold is outstanding.
I had NOBU in Manhattan and I was underwelmed.

No Offence!

Getting the crab cakes today.
Pump House Station is good too

Nobu
Morimoto
olives- todd english
china poblano at cosmo

less expensive celeb:
lunches..
gordon ramsey burger

moderate pricing:
mon ami gabi at Paris

The bold is outstanding.
Last Time I was in Vegas I had trout at the top of the Eiffle Tower in Paris.

Best Fish I ever had!

Sounds like a ton of stuff jammed together in too short a time imo. That’s a 4.5 hour drive to Sedona.

Ok...

Star Gazing
Broken Arrow Jeep Tour
Vortex

Thanks again guys!
welding atlanta
We are a family of 4 planning our first trip west. We will be arriving in Las Vegas around noon. (traveling from the east coast.) We would like to then drive to Sedona for our first night. Is this too much for one day? I know it would have been a better idea to fly to Phoenix but we already have the tickets for Vegas and the cost of changing them and the rental car would be prohibitive. We think we are up to the challenge of a 4-5 hour drive after a flight but would love advice. Our original plan was to spend the first night in Vegas, then Sedona (2 nights), south rim Grand Canyon (2 nights), Page/Lake Powell (2 nights), then 2 nights total in Zion and Brice area then back to Vegas for 2 nights. We have to shorten this agenda by one day, thus the plan to not stay the first night in Vegas. Does this seem reasonable? Any advice would be appreciated.
Sounds like a ton of stuff jammed together in too short a time imo. That’s a 4.5 hour drive to Sedona.
Agreed. I’d cut out half those stops, and spend more time at some of the destinations. For me, Grand Canyon is worth just a couple hours, and Page half a day (to tour Antelope Canyon). I’d focus on Zion, Bryce and either Sedona or Vegas, depending on the group‘s interests

Ok...

Star Gazing
Broken Arrow Jeep Tour
Vortex

Thanks again guys!
welding atlanta
We are a family of 4 planning our first trip west. We will be arriving in Las Vegas around noon. (traveling from the east coast.) We would like to then drive to Sedona for our first night. Is this too much for one day? I know it would have been a better idea to fly to Phoenix but we already have the tickets for Vegas and the cost of changing them and the rental car would be prohibitive. We think we are up to the challenge of a 4-5 hour drive after a flight but would love advice. Our original plan was to spend the first night in Vegas, then Sedona (2 nights), south rim Grand Canyon (2 nights), Page/Lake Powell (2 nights), then 2 nights total in Zion and Brice area then back to Vegas for 2 nights. We have to shorten this agenda by one day, thus the plan to not stay the first night in Vegas. Does this seem reasonable? Any advice would be appreciated.
Agreed. I’d cut out half those stops, and spend more time at some of the destinations. For me, Grand Canyon is worth just a couple hours, and Page half a day (to tour Antelope Canyon). I’d focus on Zion, Bryce and either Sedona or Vegas, depending on the group‘s interests

Bryce is amazing. The colors of the rocks...a must see.

Mon Ami Gabi is a must. Get a reservation right after they open and sit outside. Enjoy breakfast and the show on the Strip.
Ordinarily this is correct, but right now with the F1 prep you can't even see the front of the Bellagio from the Mon Ami patio. The F1 stands are now blocking the view. It's a bummer. Still nice to be outside if the weather is good but not the same stellar experience.

Nacho Daddy (south strip and downtown) - really good breakfast nachos
Hash House A Go Go (in the Linq) - chicken and waffles + other great breakfast food
Dupars (Suncoast - only if you feel like going way off strip) - Best pancakes I've ever had. This is the famous SoCal pancake joint that started in 1938.
The Bagel Cafe (also a field trip from the strip) - Awesome old school deli. Dupars and The Bagel Cafe are only worth the effort if you make it part of a larger off-strip excursion.
Siegel's Bagelmania - (near the convention center)
EggSlut (Cosmo) - Always a line but always really good

Anyone familiar with tii gavo in sedona?
I've heard of it but never been. Nonetheless, here's my restaurant breakdown and suggestions. I'd note I've already given you breakfast.

General notes: I'd note that the general flavor of Sedona is a combination of Mexican food with New Mexican food (food utilizing a lot of green chile flavor). When in doubt, get the local fare. Also, anything by chef Lisa Dahl is going to be really, really good.

Lunch:
1. 89 Agave - newish Mexican restaurant recommended to me by Lisa Dahl that knocked my socks off. Really, really good. I got the tamale and it was fantastic and I've eaten there with others who all equally raved about their food. It's in the uptown shops area, too, so nice place to walk around a bit before or afterwards.
2. Tortas De Fuego - If you haven't had a torta before, do it. All of them are good. Tortas de Fuego has places both in downtown Sedona and Oak Creek (the Oak Creek one is newer and has better parking).
3. Creekside Bistro - Already on my breakfast recommendations, but I ate here yesterday for lunch and got the Maryland Blue Crab cake with the Gruyere soup. Was fantastic. And, again, the outside back patio seating is a delight.

Dinner:
1. Elote - the only "must try at all costs" place on this list. You're probably too late for reservations as they book out months in advance, but look into it if you can. It's in the main part of Sedona. To me this is "last meal" good and tied with Espiritu (Mesa) for best restaurant in the state.
2. La Cucina Rustica - Really nice place and just really good Italian food. It's a Lisa Dahl place. Highly recommend the sea bass if they have it.
3. Marisposa - Latin food that's really good. In the main Sedona area.

Other odds and ends:
- Jerome is a really fun spot close to Sedona. It's an old mining town that's literally falling over as it's built on the steep side of a large mountain. But, it's a really fun 1/2 day trip and worth just walking around. The Haunted Hamburger (Jerome is notoriously haunted and I take my family there every year for Halloween) is a staple and has a really pretty view.
- Drive up 89A during the day whenever you drive to Vegas. It's a really, really scenic drive (though if anybody gets motion sickness, take something). You'll go from the red rock terrain to the pines of the high desert/Flagstaff area. It'll take you into Flagstaff where you can stop (and maybe give me a waive hi) or you can just get right on the 40 to head west to Vegas.
- You're trip to Vegas is going to be at least four hours with not much in the middle (Seligman and Ash Fork are not worth stopping). Best place to stop for a bite is going to be in Kingman, AZ. The usual stop is the In-N-Out right off the freeway so if you've never had In N Out get that, but if you care to venture a bit get off at the next exit, Beale St., and go to either Bangkok Thai or Garilbaldi's (both are a left towards downtown). Now, don't be scared off by the area (you'll initially see some hillbilly shop with Confederate flags and other nonsense) nor the looks of both places, they're legit. The former is a Thai restaurant that I've eaten at literally hundreds of times and everything is brought in from Thailand. The latter is a local chef from NY and it's really good stuff for the prices. Any dish is great, but surprisingly his "Ultimate Cheesesteak" is the best cheesesteak in AZ and, even for lunch for like 16 bucks, he'll have specials that would be $50 in the heart of Vegas.
- I know you said no alcohol, but the vineyards in Cornville (just south of Sedona between Sedona and Cottonwood) are one of the most relaxed and peaceful places I've ever been.
- Unless you're heading to the Italian restaurant there which is surprisingly good, stay away from Camp Verde.

All right, I now feel like Chris Farley's Zagat's character from SNL.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread