What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Self Driving Cars (1 Viewer)

Pretty ballsy commercial. Tesla isn’t even there yet and I can’t imagine Mercedes self driving tech is beyond Teslas.

Tesla is in like 7th place at this point. GM, Google, and Amazon all have fully self driving taxi services on the road already in SF and Phoenix.
Just limited city driving though, correct? Mercedes is making it seem like you can GPS this thing anywhere. Maybe you can. If so, Tesla is way overvalued. That tech valuation should be an automotive manufacturer valuation.

My buddy let my newly licensed daughter drive his new Tesla. He put the self driving on. It was freaky. Sitting at a red light to turn right ,at a busy intersection, where the cross traffic is doing 50+. :eek: And the car had to immediately get over 3 lanes and make a left. Me no likey. 2 week licensed and a robot driving. 😃

Seeing the Google car when I was out at silicon valley was freaky.....that was a good 10 years ago I think

Just limited city driving though, correct?
Wouldn't this be the hardest kind for an AI? Cars, buses, bikes, pedestrians, etc. at a high density. Asking out of ignorance.
I’m no expert either but in my mind it would be easier. Mapping a specific grid instead of asking it to react to roads and situations it’s never encountered.

Are you asking if the city driving is limited or if it's limited to nothing other than city driver? The city driving is not limited at all. You can call a Waymo (Google's driverless version of Uber) in downtown San Francisco and let it drive you all around the city with no driver in it.

Here is a video of us riding in one from Fisherman's Wharf to a hotel downtown late last year.

Riding FSD with no driver in downtown San Francisco

That's certainly the hardest part (and is the part Tesla can't figure out), so if it can already do that it seems pretty academic to be able to handle the other stuff outside of the city.

Last edited:
My buddy let my newly licensed daughter drive his new Tesla. He put the self driving on. It was freaky. Sitting at a red light to turn right ,at a busy intersection, where the cross traffic is doing 50+. :eek: And the car had to immediately get over 3 lanes and make a left. Me no likey. 2 week licensed and a robot driving. 😃

Same.

It is impressive, but extremely limited. Drive Pilot.

Only in California and Nevada, max speed 40mph, not good after dark or in the rain, sleet, snow.

And $2500/yr subscription.

Have they answered the ethical dilemma everyone was talking about 10 years ago?
https://www.ted.com/talks/patrick_lin_the_ethical_dilemma_of_self_driving_cars

I read a while back that Mercedes has said its algorithm will never intentionally crash, endangering their customers, regardless of the circumstances (e.g., crashing into a crowd of schoolchildren carrying puppies rather than taking the driver over a cliff.)
I don’t think there is a single answer, as different cultures value life differently…

The three experimentally-validated priorities are

1. Spare human lives
2. Spare more lives
3. Spare young lives

Can’t happen soon enough.

Too bad humans will be slow to relinquish control, as it would be nice not worrying about terrible drivers anymore.
This transition will be terribly quick once the AI is good enough. Insurance costs for self driving will go through the roof and force the vast majority of us into auto only drive mode.

We've already seen how quick insurance can go up.

Can’t happen soon enough.

Too bad humans will be slow to relinquish control, as it would be nice not worrying about terrible drivers anymore.
This transition will be terribly quick once the AI is good enough. Insurance costs for self driving will go through the roof and force the vast majority of us into auto only drive mode.

We've already seen how quick insurance can go up.
I hope so. Imagine how quickly commuting can be, if human error and indecision are removed from the equation!

And I can’t wait for AI-enhanced dining.

If we can just get AI to take over when accelerating from a red light I'll be happy. Light turns green, everyone accelerates. Instead of right now where light turns green and everyone waits for the car in front of them to accelerate 40 feet away before they finally bother to hit the gas, and it takes 12x as long.

Especially in a traffic situation where you may not make it through before the light turns red again.

If we can just get AI to take over when accelerating from a red light I'll be happy. Light turns green, everyone accelerates. Instead of right now where light turns green and everyone waits for the car in front of them to accelerate 40 feet away before they finally bother to hit the gas, and it takes 12x as long.

Especially in a traffic situation where you may not make it through before the light turns red again.
I am irrationally annoyed by this. When I am like 10 cars back and see the light turn green, I immediately think "why aren't we moving yet?" I know most of it just comes down to human reaction time, but if we could immediately start moving then I would be much happier.

What we need is inter-car communication and coordination.

Also, real, working, honest-to-god, true self-driving means you won't own a car, you'll subscribe to one. No use paying for something that spends 99% of its time off and parked. Much more efficient to have a fleet of self-driving cars just 'around' all the time and pick one up when needed. There's zero point in owning your own fully.

Self driving cars will follow the speed limit.
No one drives the speed limit. 5 MPH over is normal.

On interstates people are routinely going 10 MPH over.

There's zero point in owning your own fully.

Not sure I follow.

For instance - today, without a self-driving vehicle - I could get by without a car if I were willing to utilize services like Uber, or taxis, or busses, or other public modes of transportation.

The value in having my own car now - remains the freedom to go when and where I want.

I don't think any of that changes when self-driving cars become ubiquitous.

In a world where all cars are self-driving the speed limit would likely be raised or even eliminated. Self-driving cars would be so much safer that you wouldn't have to worry about how fast they are going.

Eta: I guess this would really only apply to freeways. You wouldn't want self-driving cars flying around at high speeds in places where pedestrians might wander out in front of them.

In a world where all cars are self-driving the speed limit would likely be raised or even eliminated. Self-driving cars would be so much safer that you wouldn't have to worry about how fast they are going.
I read this is MovieGuy's voice

You'll have to signup for the Race Day subscription if you want to access the fast lane.

Would love to have self driving cars here. Most drivers are either tourist or senior citizens(me included).

Also, real, working, honest-to-god, true self-driving means you won't own a car, you'll subscribe to one. No use paying for something that spends 99% of its time off and parked. Much more efficient to have a fleet of self-driving cars just 'around' all the time and pick one up when needed. There's zero point in owning your own fully.
Ugh - I can't wait for the subscriptions with a zillion below the line fees, surge pricing, hotel level taxation. Hopefully this is far enough out I die before I have to deal with this.

Once it’s correctly automated and there are no self drivers, they will go much faster

Once it’s correctly automated and there are no self drivers, they will go much faster
Unfortunately, this won't happen in our lifetimes.

I used to think this but with the AI advancements and Moore's Law I'm not so sure any more. The fact that they are on the road in large number in some areas tells me this will get here a lot faster than we think. And sign me up - I hate driving most of the time and would be fine to always be a passenger.

Unfortunately, this won't happen in our lifetimes.

I used to think this but with the AI advancements and Moore's Law I'm not so sure any more. The fact that they are on the road in large number in some areas tells me this will get here a lot faster than we think. And sign me up - I hate driving most of the time and would be fine to always be a passenger.
Me too. I used to love driving but as I get older I like it less and less. As I get into my 50s, I’m sure I’m better off being the passenger.

I suspect increased adoption and rolled out to more zipcodes over the next 20 years as they work out the kinks and as people realize the financial benefits.

It'll be here before people in the flyover states realize....flyover states almost always late to the party because they are not in states close to where the innovation is happening.

The Waymo cars are all over the place in SF. Not even a novelty anymore

yeah, they've been all over phoenix too...and have been for several years.

is the rest of the country just finding out about this "new" technology?

I am completely making this number up, but I would wager 90% of Americans outside of California/Arizona have no idea there are fully self driving uber equivalents regularly operating on the roads there.

I am completely making this number up, but I would wager 90% of Americans outside of California/Arizona have no idea there are fully self driving uber equivalents regularly operating on the roads there.

yeah, that was my point, but you made it succinctly

It'll be here before people in the flyover states realize....flyover states almost always late to the party because they are not in states close to where the innovation is happening.
Phoenix a mecca of innovation these days?

6th largest city in the country

moreso than Iowa or arkansas...for example
Oh, we are talking about Iowa and Arkansas. Let's add Kansas and Nebraska too

Users who are viewing this thread