What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sell me on Frank Gore (1 Viewer)

ppierce

Footballguy
I'm gonna be staring right at him at #7 and need to be convinced. Its gonna be either him, Moss or AJ and we're non ppr. Why is my gut saying pass but the entire free world saying grab him and don't look back?

He shouldn't still be there at 7, but if he is:

Hes a special talent, who is only 27 yrs old.

Hes one of the few RBs in the league that will stay on the field for 3 downs and isnt in a RBBC.

Hes likely to flirt with 350-375 touches.

Hes the 49ers GL back.

The 49ers look poised to win 9-10 games, and this will likely be the best squad that Gore has played on in his career.

The 49ers offense will be heavily run focused, as they are ditching the spread they used last year.

They have a young, athletic OL that features alot of run-blocking talent.

Hes been durable (at least 14 games played in every year of his career).

Should post something around 1700-1800 total yards and 12+ TDs.

He shouldn't still be there at 7, but if he is: Hes a special talent, who is only 27 yrs old.Hes one of the few RBs in the league that will stay on the field for 3 downs and isnt in a RBBC.Hes likely to flirt with 350-375 touches.Hes the 49ers GL back.The 49ers look poised to win 9-10 games, and this will likely be the best squad that Gore has played on in his career. The 49ers offense will be heavily run focused, as they are ditching the spread they used last year.They have a young, athletic OL that features alot of run-blocking talent.Hes been durable (at least 14 games played in every year of his career).Should post something around 1700-1800 total yards and 12+ TDs.
:confused: I'm taking him at #4 overall in a non ppr league

He finished 4th last year in ppg at 16.5, behind CJ, ADP and MJD, and ahead of Ray Rice. He may miss a few games, but the guy is a difference maker for your team.

To me he's the last of the big RBs this year. After him, I'd start looking at QBs and WRs.

Anthony Dixon, an unspectacular rookie rb out of Miss St., is leading the league in rushing during the preseason. Gore, who is light years better than Dixon, will be running behind the same line in the regular season. Draw your own conclusions.

Anthony Dixon, an unspectacular rookie rb out of Miss St., is leading the league in rushing during the preseason. Gore, who is light years better than Dixon, will be running behind the same line in the regular season. Draw your own conclusions.
That's a good point.

I'm stuck picking between Rice and Gore at #4 in a ten team PPR--I'm starting to think Gore may have a better season than Rice...

I'm stuck picking between Rice and Gore at #4 in a ten team PPR--I'm starting to think Gore may have a better season than Rice...
I think it's closer than people think and I don't own either of these players on any team at this point. If MacGahee gets traded then Rice seems like the wise choice. I think the TD vulture factor could sway some people to Gore, though.

Gore is a true workhorse who can hit homeruns in both the running game and passing game. Non PPR? For sure I go with him if he fell there....but if Turner is there I would be leaning that way. I doubt Turner will be there though in non PPR. However if Michael Turner and Frank Gore are there your playing with some weak owners IMO.

He shouldn't still be there at 7, but if he is: Hes a special talent, who is only 27 yrs old.Hes one of the few RBs in the league that will stay on the field for 3 downs and isnt in a RBBC.Hes likely to flirt with 350-375 touches.Hes the 49ers GL back.The 49ers look poised to win 9-10 games, and this will likely be the best squad that Gore has played on in his career. The 49ers offense will be heavily run focused, as they are ditching the spread they used last year.They have a young, athletic OL that features alot of run-blocking talent.Hes been durable (at least 14 games played in every year of his career).Should post something around 1700-1800 total yards and 12+ TDs.
This is all good. Only disagree with his touches. I think 320 is within reach if he plays 16 games. Realistically, I expect around 280-300.

Gore is a true workhorse who can hit homeruns in both the running game and passing game. Non PPR? For sure I go with him if he fell there....but if Turner is there I would be leaning that way. I doubt Turner will be there though in non PPR. However if Michael Turner and Frank Gore are there your playing with some weak owners IMO.
If a non-RB is taken in the first 6 picks, you are pretty much guaranteed to see either Gore or Turner in a non-PPR league.I should add that Turner has better odds of being there at #7 than Gore does.

Everyone needs to remember that over his 5 years he has averaged only 233 carries per season. The decline has been very obvious over the past 4 years....almost 100 carries less than in 2006. I like Frank, but probably not taking him in the first round in ANY league. Play it safe.

Here is the link:

http://www.nfl.com/players/frankgore/profile?id=GOR411171

In 2006 he carried the ball 312 times

In 2007 he carried the ball 260 times

In 2008 he carried the ball 240 times

In 2009 he carried the ball 229 times

Everyone needs to remember that over his 5 years he has averaged only 233 carries per season. The decline has been very obvious over the past 4 years....almost 100 carries less than in 2006. I like Frank, but probably not taking him in the first round in ANY league. Play it safe.

Here is the link:

Bottom line where did he finish ranked all those years you just posted in PPR and non PPR.

It's all about points.

Here is the link:

The 49ers are a much better team now than they were in any of those years. They won't be playing from behind quite as often and they will be running the ball more just b/c they are improved and will likely have the lead in more games. That seems like a safe assumption to me barring some injury that has not yet happened on their offense. My guess is that he gets a number of carried somewhere b/w his 2006 & 2007 totals and he should be good for at least 40 receptions.

First all you have to do is look at his numbers the last few years and now he should have an improved passing game and Oline. You also have to factor in that your playing in a league with people who don't play much if Gore is there at 7 so you have a much easier chance of winning no matter who you take

Here is the link:

You're comparing 16 games to 14 games. His touches per games have fallen from 23 to 20 but only from 21 to 20 since 2007. He seems as certain as anyone to get 20+ touches per game which is really all you can ask for...

His career average is 4.8 yards per carry, and 8.2 yards per reception. He scores a touchdown 3% of the time he touches the ball, of which he averages 19 touches per game... and 21 times if you exclude his rookie season.

I have Gore at #4 behind Rice and in front of MJD.

And I'm an MJD dynasty owner. Gore is as reliable and has as much opportunity as the other top 4 RB's.

I would also add that the reason he has only played or at least started in 14 of 16 games is that he is injury prone albeit to a smaller extent.....I think the numbers really do show that he has been hurt a little more each year. Personally I would probably rather have Steven Jackson and he is slipping in drafts this year.

I would also add that the reason he has only played or at least started in 14 of 16 games is that he is injury prone albeit to a smaller extent.....I think the numbers really do show that he has been hurt a little more each year. Personally I would probably rather have Steven Jackson and he is slipping in drafts this year.
Good luck with that. Talk about injury prone. Off season back surgery....no thanks not in the first 2 rounds in my book.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck with that. Talk about injury prone. Off season back surgery....no thanks not in the first 2 rounds in my book.
I'm just saying if you draft Gore be ready for some disappointment. I think his body and the numbers are showing this. If you want my honest opinion I would take RAY RICE over anyone this year at the RB position.

I'm just saying if you draft Gore be ready for some disappointment. I think his body and the numbers are showing this. If you want my honest opinion I would take RAY RICE over anyone this year at the RB position.
Right but at 7 i dont' have luxury of drafting Rice

I'm gonna be staring right at him at #7 and need to be convinced. Its gonna be either him, Moss or AJ and we're non ppr. Why is my gut saying pass but the entire free world saying grab him and don't look back?
It's because you're overthinking it. If you don't want him don't take him but he could finish as a top 2-3 back this year. He's on a team with a running philosophy, improved line, improved weapons, strong defense, cake schedule and he's the 3 down workhorse back.

All of the above, plus he has a very decent playoff schedule; Seattle, @SD, @STL. That Week 16 matchup at St. Louis could very well be instrumental in bringing home the title for his owners. Only real downside is he tends to get nicked up every year so count on him missing a couple games due to injury.

FWIW, he fell to me at #6 in my main league and I didn't think twice about taking him after the other top RBs went 1-5.

According to FFI over the last four seasons no RB has more yards from scrimmage than Gore. Not bad considering his injury history.

Imagine if he manages to play 16.

According to FFI over the last four seasons no RB has more yards from scrimmage than Gore. Not bad considering his injury history.Imagine if he manages to play 16.
and this year the stars seem to be aligning with the schedule, line, defense and talent on offense.

I like Gore 5th or 6th. He's above all the QBs and above Andre in a non-PPR.

Gore went 10th in my money league. I picked 11th.

Then again, in a Miami based free league someone picked him #1.

ppierce said:
So i take Gore at 7 and then in 2nd take best avail wr unless Manning is still there.
I wouldn't make up my mind now. I'd watch what happens in the draft and react accordingly.

Todem said:
However if Michael Turner and Frank Gore are there your playing with some weak owners IMO.
Or more likely it's a league with an uncommon scoring system, either heavy TD, 6 pt pass TD, or some other variant.I think being in the 7 spot is a great place to be. You can have your choice of a top (likely THE top) WR, can benefit if a RB slips, or even go QB in leagues that favor them. Specifically for Gore, there's nothing I or anyone else can say to make you sold on him. You either like him or you don't. I lean toward Turner in a heavy TD league, or Gore in a standard/performance non-PPR league, or Rice in a PPR league as the #3 RB. Depending on your scoring system, you can pick your favorite or go with a different position.

ppierce said:
So i take Gore at 7 and then in 2nd take best avail wr unless Manning is still there.
I wouldn't make up my mind now. I'd watch what happens in the draft and react accordingly.
The one bit of advice that works for every draft, but seriously, it's good advice. Don't make your mind up too far in advance. However, you might sketch out contingency draft plans based on the different starting options. For me at least, this helps me understand the deeper impact of my early round choices.Each different strategy requires appropriate responses in the mid-to-later rounds. Knowing in advance which strategies are preferred can/will influence your early round choices. And if it turns out that all of the various approaches can work, sketching them out in advance let you know HOW to make them work as the draft unfolds, rather than flying totally by the seat of your pants.

Here's the sales pitch: If he stays healthy this whole season, he challenges CJ3 for the overall points title this year. How's that!

Sat at 1.06 in PPR expecting to take Gore, watched the big 4 go off the board, then expected Andre Johnson to be called next.. but suprise.. the guy went Turner. So I am siting there debatng AJ and Gore, and since it's a start 3wr league with no flex, I decided on AJ. However to this day I am still wondering if I made the right call. I am VERY high on Gore this year.

I agree with Gore supporters on talent & age. Also which top RB (including CJ, MJD, Rice & AP) has this cake of a schedule?

Week 1 @ Seattle

Week 2 New Orleans

Week 3 @ Kansas City

Week 4 @ Atlanta

Week 5 Philadelphia

Week 6 Oakland

Week 7 @ Carolina

Week 8 Denver

Week 9 BYE

Week 10 St. Louis

Week 11 Tampa Bay

Week 12 @ Arizona

Week 13 @ Green Bay

Week 14 Seattle

Week 15 @ San Diego

Week 16 @ St. Louis

Week 17 Arizona

I agree with Gore supporters on talent & age. Also which top RB (including CJ, MJD, Rice & AP) has this cake of a schedule?Week 1 @ SeattleWeek 2 New OrleansWeek 3 @ Kansas CityWeek 4 @ AtlantaWeek 5 PhiladelphiaWeek 6 OaklandWeek 7 @ CarolinaWeek 8 DenverWeek 9 BYEWeek 10 St. LouisWeek 11 Tampa BayWeek 12 @ ArizonaWeek 13 @ Green BayWeek 14 SeattleWeek 15 @ San DiegoWeek 16 @ St. LouisWeek 17 Arizona
I took Rice at 3 in non-ppr whose schedule is not as good (although not bad either), but I think you might be right. Gore might have been the better choice. Less vultures, higher chance of TD's, easier schedule, lesser chance of him being rested down the stretch. Wish I had seen this thread prior to my draft, actually.

SF historically always had "easy" schedule (same for SEA as well).

Check out his game log from 2009,

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/7241/g...KOJmBiweaj.uLYF

Also, keep in mind that SF started throwing the ball a lot towards the end of the season

P.S. Strength of Schedule for 2010 - http://www.fftoolbox.com/football/strength...e&sortby=RB

I agree with Gore supporters on talent & age. Also which top RB (including CJ, MJD, Rice & AP) has this cake of a schedule?

Week 1 @ Seattle

Week 2 New Orleans

Week 3 @ Kansas City

Week 4 @ Atlanta

Week 5 Philadelphia

Week 6 Oakland

Week 7 @ Carolina

Week 8 Denver

Week 9 BYE

Week 10 St. Louis

Week 11 Tampa Bay

Week 12 @ Arizona

Week 13 @ Green Bay

Week 14 Seattle

Week 15 @ San Diego

Week 16 @ St. Louis

Week 17 Arizona
I took Rice at 3 in non-ppr whose schedule is not as good (although not bad either), but I think you might be right. Gore might have been the better choice. Less vultures, higher chance of TD's, easier schedule, lesser chance of him being rested down the stretch. Wish I had seen this thread prior to my draft, actually.

^^ I guess I just like the balance, and safety from week to week of his situation. I think with the Crabtree, VD options, SF will be a lot more dangerous giving Gore more room to rack up numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread