What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

selling a car help (1 Viewer)

JB Breakfast Club

Footballguy
I'm selling a car for the first time. I'm selling myself instead of trading in.

Questions:

How much do I let potential buyers drive it around before they decide if they are going to buy it?

Is it normal to allow the buyer to take it to their mechanic to look at? Do I go along for that? Should I have something from my mechanic that testifies to the state of the engine?

Help, please.

JB

Make them do a short test drive. If they want a preinspection review go with them at their cost. Get ready for the luney's to come our of the woodworks. What kind of a car and how much? Also, blue books is a myth it only gives you a good starting point.

It's a 2003 Malibu with 75,000 miles on it. It's been a family car, so the leather had creases in it from the car seats. The engine has plenty of life though. I'm trying to sell in between the price I would get from a dealer and the inflated blue book.

So far, I've only posted it on a neighborhood website...carsoup next. I hate haggling, so I have it listed under blue book with a firm price.

It's a 2003 Malibu with 75,000 miles on it. It's been a family car, so the leather had creases in it from the car seats. The engine has plenty of life though. I'm trying to sell in between the price I would get from a dealer and the inflated blue book.

So far, I've only posted it on a neighborhood website...carsoup next. I hate haggling, so I have it listed under blue book with a firm price.
People will still try to haggle... Maybe leave yourself $500 wiggle room.

I'll put it this way, if someone would NOT let me take it to my own mechanic to have it looked over, I would walk away immediately.

I would have the buyer sign a little, simple paper saying that he or she is buying the car as is. Include the date, amount of money, etc.

Good luck...I did this with my wife's Escape a few years back, and it's not worth the extra $$ I got over the dealer's low-ball trade. I'll NEVER try and sell a car myself again. Well...maybe not never, but not unless the extra profit is in the thousands...

-eoMMan's point is good. Make them sign a bill of sale indicating the car, date, money, and note that it's binding, and not returnable. A lot of whackos will buy it, go drive it for 3 weeks, then find something they like better or something and want their money back. That one line is usually all it takes to make them realize that it's theirs once they leave your property.

-Take your plates. If they don't have plates to get it to the DMV, go with them. Don't let them drive away with your plates (seems obvious, but not everyone knows that)

-If you're using Craigslist, be prepared for the whackos. People will point out EVERY SINGLE DETAIL that is wrong with your car. "You've got a little oil residue on your drain plug." "You've got some minor rust on your exhaust." "I think your wiper blades need replaced." "You're going to need new tires in 2,000 miles." I got SO sick of it. I eventually just started using the canned response, "OK. It's a used car. Selling it as-is." So many people wanted me to fix things before they'd make an offer. NEVER do that. 90% of the time, you'll fix it, and they will be long gone.

-Nobody who says, "I'll be back" ever comes back, so don't hold it for them.

-Be prepared to get 80% complete low-ball offers....Not like 10-15% off...I'm talking 25-50% less than you're asking. I actually laughed at a few of them.

-Re. letting people drive them, I based it on what kind of car they drove to my place. If they drove up in a decent vehicle and left it, I let some folks just go drive on their own after I photocopied their DL. Others, I rode along.

-If someone wanted to take it to a mechanic on their dollar, I'm fine with that.

-Again, good luck. I had ours posted for 3 months. I saw an average of a potential buyer every week or so. 50% looked, liked it and never made an offer. 25% made super low-ball offers that weren't even worth negotiating. Some just came to criticize the car, expecting something "new" and then left when I told them it was a "used" car sold as-is. I had one kid who agreed on a price, shook hands, and headed off to the bank to get a cashier's check. About 4 hours later, after I spent time drafting a bill of sale and getting the car ready for sale, he called and said he'd changed his mind. I let him know that in the future, when a man shakes hands, a man honors his word. Finally ended up selling the car to my wife's cousin, and even he wasn't happy when the AC broke after he drove it from NJ to Colorado.

good points all around. My wife thought a request from a buyer to take it to his mechanic was ridiculous, but it made sense to me. I've never purchased a used car either, so this is my first time in the process.

I think I'll see if this first buyer comes through with a purchase. If not, CarSoup has a portion of their website that elicits cash offers from dealerships. Maybe I'll just do that...I really don't want to have to deal with people being stupid around my property.

I'll put it this way, if someone would NOT let me take it to my own mechanic to have it looked over, I would walk away immediately.
You would anticipate the owner coming along and not changing the price based on what your mechanic says though, right?

good points all around. My wife thought a request from a buyer to take it to his mechanic was ridiculous, but it made sense to me. I've never purchased a used car either, so this is my first time in the process.

I think I'll see if this first buyer comes through with a purchase. If not, CarSoup has a portion of their website that elicits cash offers from dealerships. Maybe I'll just do that...I really don't want to have to deal with people being stupid around my property.

You would anticipate the owner coming along and not changing the price based on what your mechanic says though, right?
I would, but I'd expect his mechanic to tell him why it should be much cheaper, regardless if the car is in great condition.

:blackdot:

I have one I want to get rid of also. Was my ex's ride, but it was in my name so I ended up with it. It still runs and is drivable, but needs the transmission rebuilt, and (according to the dealership) needs a valve replaced, so pretty major work will be needed on it. I'm thinking of just putting it out on one of the FB "for sale" groups with "make me an offer". I just want to get rid of the damn thing so I can drop the insurance. Are there any better suggestions?

This is sort of one of the issues I had with selling a used car. To me, my price is based on the car as I see it. You pointing out that there's a dent in the fender, or some rust or something isn't grounds for me to lower the price. I saw it. You see it. It's sold as-is.

Now if a mechanic looked at it and said, "Your drive belt is about to snap, and it sounds like you've got a bad coil that needs replaced," and it was something that I otherwise didn't know, I'd consider adjusting the price.

If it's "new information," I'd consider it. If it's you pointing out all the things that make a used car "used," then tough. That's part of the car. It's amazing how many people point out things on the car that I put in the ad and try and get me to reduce the price b/c of that.

I have one I want to get rid of also. Was my ex's ride, but it was in my name so I ended up with it. It still runs and is drivable, but needs the transmission rebuilt, and (according to the dealership) needs a valve replaced, so pretty major work will be needed on it. I'm thinking of just putting it out on one of the FB "for sale" groups with "make me an offer". I just want to get rid of the damn thing so I can drop the insurance. Are there any better suggestions?
If you don't care what you get for it, most any place online will do. If you post on Craigs List exactly what you posted here, some schmuck will offer you peanuts and probably take it today. There is no shortage of people looking to get something for nothing...It's getting "fair value" that takes forever.

I'd find somewhere to donate it. I hear advertisements for that on the radio all the time.

I've had the exact opposite issues that Fat Nick had. I always plan to sell my own cars instead of trading them in. I sold two of my cars (SUV and minivan) a couple years ago (and another years ago) and it was very smooth. The first I sold the day after I listed it (craigslist and autotrader) to someone who saw my pop-up at on autotrader. I got a call from a craigslist person who seemed very serious that night as well, but I already had a sort of deal in place and told them I would call them if it was still available. The minivan took a few weeks and the first serious buyer (all via craigslist) test drove it, but didn't like it enough. That said, I wasn't totally comfortable with them. Fine people, but out of town, so payment might have been a pain. I decided to re-clean it better (I missed some spots, part of the issue) and sold it the next weekend for more money. The sell it myself route got me $4k more and $3k more on the two cars (got $800 more years ago) over the trade in and I spent maybe $250 in auto-trader fees and cleaning supplies/car washes. Dealers low ball quite a bit and my cars were in great shape and had all the service paper work for years.

I echo some of the comments above, keep your plates, print out an As Is Sales document for both parties to sign and sign over the title. Cash is the best payment, but I actually got a credit union check on the mini-van (they had an accident and got a check for totaling the car). I called the credit union after verifying it with a buddy that lived in that area and it was all legit. I'd rather have gotten cash, but I did enough due diligence to feel safe and had no issues at all.

One note, no one asked to take the car to a mechanic, we just did short test drives (I stayed in the cars to answer questions). Since I had all the paper work and did all the service at dealers/reputable service shops. The cars ran great, so no one worried about an inspection.

If you don't care what you get for it, most any place online will do. If you post on Craigs List exactly what you posted here, some schmuck will offer you peanuts and probably take it today. There is no shortage of people looking to get something for nothing...It's getting "fair value" that takes forever.
Not sure what type of car you were selling, but I had the opposite experiences. It was easy and while I did get a couple low ball offers, I just told them no. The were decent cars, so I knew the demand would be there. I went down $400 on my SUV and still got double what the dealer offered me. I sold 2 of 3 on autotrader and 1 on craigslist since I got decent feedback on craigslist on the 2nd one. I figured I might as well try and save the $150 or so on autotrader. The autotrader fee was worth it and even the extra fee to put it at the top of the list was worth it. The guy who bought it even told me he was looking for an SUV and my ad popped up and that was what he was looking for and I had cash in hand within 24 hours of posting the ad.

Not sure what type of car you were selling, but I had the opposite experiences. It was easy and while I did get a couple low ball offers, I just told them no. The were decent cars, so I knew the demand would be there. I went down $400 on my SUV and still got double what the dealer offered me. I sold 2 of 3 on autotrader and 1 on craigslist since I got decent feedback on craigslist on the 2nd one. I figured I might as well try and save the $150 or so on autotrader. The autotrader fee was worth it and even the extra fee to put it at the top of the list was worth it. The guy who bought it even told me he was looking for an SUV and my ad popped up and that was what he was looking for and I had cash in hand within 24 hours of posting the ad.
I was selling a Ford Escape. It was in pretty good condition. ~80K miles on it. I think the KBB value at the time was $8K, and I posted at $6,700, but was willing to take $6K. It had decent tires, brand new brakes (rotors and pads), new plugs, and I fixed a coil that was going bad. Mechanically, it was a good vehicle. There was a little rust inside the door jamb, but nothing major.

I did solely Craigslist, but based on your comment, I might try Autotrader next time...if there is a next time.

I've done autotrader and craigslist and didn't have problems. It is annoying to do, but generally worth the hassle. On my last sale 3 years ago, the dealer trade-in offer was $1,500 and I sold it for $3,000 on CL.

Users who are viewing this thread