What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Semi-official 5th pick thread (1 Viewer)

Imagine

Footballguy
I think the 5th pick is a tough one. The first pick where you really have to choose RB or Calvin.

Assume a medium stakes 12 team redraft, 1 PPR for all, with 1QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1TE, 1 Def, 1PK, and 1 RB/WR/TE flex.

I think Ryan Mathews is the answer if he slips to you, but that’s unlikely after Foster, Rice, and McCoy go 1, 2, 3.

So if he doesn’t fall to you, and if you assume that no QBs will go in the 1st round because 5 pts for 100 yards and only 4 per TD, now I think you have one of the toughest decisions in the draft.

Do you draft Calvin Johnson, knowing that you will likely see 11 more RBs go before you get to pick again? I did that and the next 14 were:

• Chris Johnson,

• MJD,

• McFadden,

• Forte,

• Trent,

• Murray,

• Charles,

• Lynch,

• Graham,

• Rodgers,

• Gronkowski,

• ADP,

• SJax,

• Sproles.

I was amazed that so many RBs went, but since that’s this year’s mantra, i.e. go RB RB or RB RB RB, not all that surprising.

The RB options at 2.08 then are DMartin, Bradshaw, FJackson, RBush, Gore, and Turner. But as far as WRs, you can pick from anyone in that second tier including Fitz, Andre, AJ Green, Roddy White, and Wes Welker.

So the question is, if you know that’s how it will go, and there are many of us out there with more drafts on the way, do you still take Megatron at 1.05? Is he that transcendent?

Which would you rather have?

Calvin and Fred Jackson, or Chris Johnson/MJD/McFadden/Forte (your choice) and Larry Fitzgerald.

Thoughts?

Very true, it does get tougher as you move down the list. But as you go lower, you can take a Calvin and know you will be getting a fairly good RB on the way back. At the 8th pick in the 2nd, the RB pickin's are ok, but not great!

I also have the 5th and hating it.

My scoring and rules are pretty weird in our league.

I am confident that Rice/Foster/McCoy/Rodgers are gone.

Leaves me Matthews/Forte/Brady to choose from.

I'm try to trade out of the spot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the 5th pick in my draft and my top five is the big three Rb's, then mathews and fifth Calvin Johnson. Johnson is just to good to pass up for those Rb's.

I think the 5th pick is a tough one. The first pick where you really have to choose RB or Calvin....Thoughts?
Actually I think you make a great point. With the deep WR pool this year and the more limited reliable options at RB, the temptation is to use early picks on RBs and wait on WRs. But the fifth pick is faced with choosing between a clear (as can be) best pick at WR versus RBs who could be elite but have question marks (CJ2K, MJD, etc).I guess if you can get really confident about one of those RBs then go for it, but here I'd find Mega difficult to pass up.

Are we assuming Rodgers is gone, or just that he isn't an option for some reason? I like Rodgers here if Calvin is gone

Are we assuming Rodgers is gone, or just that he isn't an option for some reason? I like Rodgers here if Calvin is gone
Yes I agree that the #1 QB is definitely in play. This league has typically not gone QB early, although Rodgers did go at 2.03. But coming back up the 2nd round, Brady and Brees are usually there, so if a guy likes a top notch QB early, I think that Brady might be equivalent to Rodgers this year, plus you either get Calvin or CJ2K/MJD. In this particular version of the question, Calvin was still there, as was Rodgers and the #5, 6, 7 RBs. I guess I felt stymied not getting one of the "ace" RBs, and having to choose between a great WR and a "probably good" RB. Then when everyone in the 1st round grabbed RBs, along with four more RBs in the 2nd round before me, and at my second pick seeing the #2, 3, and 4 WRs still there, I felt like I could have gotten better "value" by taking one of those RBs. So I was tossing it out there to let folks in that spot know how this particular one shook out, and hoping to hear pros and cons of WR over RB in that 1.05 spot. You've asked a great question though, so if your league goes after QBs early, then Rodgers might definitely be the guy.

I just traded to get the #5 pick. Our league is QB heavy, with all TD's 6 points, 1 point per 25 yards passing and 5 point bonus for 300 passing yards. Non PPR. Foster, Rice, McCoy are likely to go 1-3, but there is a chance McCoy could slip.

I see it going:

Foster

Rice

McCoy

Rodgers

For me it's down to Brady or Calvin, and I'm leaning Brady. Pretty confident some of the RB's with question marks will fall to mid-second, if not their will be stud WR's available. I'll take best available and build from there. I think in my scoring system it isn't as much of a tough pick. If our scoring system wasn't so QB friendly I'd take Calvin and wouldn't think twice.

Mocks are giving basically a 50/50 split between Rodgers and Calvin. However, in my league it's QB heavy (6ptTDs) and people watched a marginal FF team surrounding Rodgers last year win it all. He is not making it to me at 5.

I'm going to be content with Calvin despite the mythical curse and come back with the best RB/WR on my board at 2.08. If Stafford or Cam are there in the 3rd, I'm digging that start to the draft quite a bit. :thumbup:

Doing the same thing. Drafting Calvin in 5 minutes. Hoping for Marshawn in round 2 and then one of the big upside RB's (Richardson, Mathews, etc) in round 3. But will be flexible. I was thisclose to drafting McFadden though.

Doing the same thing. Drafting Calvin in 5 minutes. Hoping for Marshawn in round 2 and then one of the big upside RB's (Richardson, Mathews, etc) in round 3. But will be flexible. I was thisclose to drafting McFadden though.
I'm sitting at 5 and will choose either Calvin or McFadden tomorrow night. What tipped you away from McFadden, injury, I assume?

Just finished my draft. 1 QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1 flex, K, D/ST. 6 point all TD's, no PPR,...

Calvin Johnson

Marshaun Lynch

Fred Jackson

Michael Vick

Darreen Sproles]

Eric Decker

Eli Manning

CJ Spiller

Malcolm Floyd

Toby Gerhart

Anquan Boldin

Bironas

Steeler D

Pettigrew

Collie

I had the choice of Calvin or McFadden, as predicted, and went with McFadden. Just gut, and I'm probably wrong.

Here is my squad:

1. (5) Darren McFadden (Oak - RB)

2. (20) A.J. Green (Cin - WR)

3. (29) Percy Harvin (Min - WR)

4. (44) Doug Martin (TB - RB)

5. (53) Antonio Gates (SD - TE)

6. (68) Peyton Hillis (KC - RB)

7. (77) Michael Crabtree (SF - WR)

8. (92) Robert Griffin III (Was - QB)

9. (101) Stevan Ridley (NE - RB)

10. (116) Kenny Britt (Ten - WR)

11. (125) Matt Schaub (Hou - QB)

12. (140) Mikel LeShoure (Det - RB)

13. (149) Jon Baldwin (KC - WR)

14. (164) Ronnie Hillman (Den - RB)

15. (173) Lance Kendricks (StL - TE)

16. (188) Dallas (Dal - DEF)

Clearly, my weakness is at QB. If RG3 can give me anything above 12th best starter, I will take it. I like my receivers, including Gates to have a rebound season. Hills, IMO, could be a huge steal as I see him getting a bunch of carries. Britt, if he only gets 2 games and is healthy, might be a mid season WR2 for me. I never draft a kicker as I can cut before the first game.

Thoughts?

I had the choice of Calvin or McFadden, as predicted, and went with McFadden. Just gut, and I'm probably wrong.Here is my squad:1. (5) Darren McFadden (Oak - RB)2. (20) A.J. Green (Cin - WR)3. (29) Percy Harvin (Min - WR)4. (44) Doug Martin (TB - RB)5. (53) Antonio Gates (SD - TE)6. (68) Peyton Hillis (KC - RB)7. (77) Michael Crabtree (SF - WR)8. (92) Robert Griffin III (Was - QB)9. (101) Stevan Ridley (NE - RB)10. (116) Kenny Britt (Ten - WR)11. (125) Matt Schaub (Hou - QB)12. (140) Mikel LeShoure (Det - RB)13. (149) Jon Baldwin (KC - WR)14. (164) Ronnie Hillman (Den - RB)15. (173) Lance Kendricks (StL - TE)16. (188) Dallas (Dal - DEF)Clearly, my weakness is at QB. If RG3 can give me anything above 12th best starter, I will take it. I like my receivers, including Gates to have a rebound season. Hills, IMO, could be a huge steal as I see him getting a bunch of carries. Britt, if he only gets 2 games and is healthy, might be a mid season WR2 for me. I never draft a kicker as I can cut before the first game.Thoughts?
hmmm. Good foundation, but IMO I think the fact that you went Harvin in the 3rd your hand was forced a bit with Martin in the 4th (unless you love him). Could you have ended up with a better RB/WR tandem if you would have taken an RB in the 3rd? Who was on the board? And who was on the board for QB's when you took Crabtree in the 7th? I cna't read RG3 yet - you do have Schaub so you have some back up but if a better QB was available in the 7th I might have went that way. Love the McFadden/AJ start, Gates and Hillis picks, as well as Ridley

The more I think about it, the more I hate picking at 5. I'm drafting in a medium-high stakes league this weekend (12 teams, 0.5PPR, 1QB/2RB/2WR/1flex/1TE/1K/1def, 4 pts for passing TDs, 6 points for other TDs) and I think I am going to face the dilemma the original poster and most of the rest of you have at this spot. Assuming Foster/Rice/McCoy go within the top 4...

Scenario #1.) If Rodgers goes top 4, I am looking at either Calvin, Brees/Brady, or McFadden. I've talked myself out of Brees/Brady. I am pretty high on McFadden this year, but the injury history scares me, and I'm not sure the value is there compared to the potential advantage you have with Megatron over the rest of the WR field. So I have been leaning Calvin in this scenario.

Scenario #2.) If Calvin goes top 4, I am looking at Rodgers vs. McFadden. Although passing TDs are only 4 points, the potential advantage of Rodgers over the rest of the field, along with the question marks of McFadden, has me leaning there.

So I've mocked these 2 scenarios pretty heavily over the last couple of days. I've found that the RBs fly off the board between my first and second picks. I would be fairly comfortable with Charles or Lynch as RB#1s in the second round, but they are often gone. I really don't love the thought of taking SJax/MJD/ADP/Richardson/Matthews or the like there, but that is what I have been faced with. I think it is a total crapshoot if any of those guys break into the top 5 RB range. So this has me really re-thinking taking McFadden, who I believe has the potential to be a top 5 RB if he stays healthy.

It's a new league, so I don't yet know the tendencies of the other owners. I will be ticked if I pass on Calvin/Rodgers and then see decent RB's at my spot in the second round. But I will probably be more ticked if I grab a non-RB in the first and then am forced to scramble for RBs rather than get the best value guys in the 2nd and 3rd.

This is a tough one. I appreciate the thoughts of the rest of you who are facing this.

i pick 4 and essentially have the same dilemas. i have 3 scenarios: 1) Rodgers goes top 3 and i get one of big 3 RB 2) Calvin 3) Rodgers

if i take Calvin i think theres a chance that i could get Charles in round 2 or maybe fred jackson

Yeah, I guess I could live with Fred Jackson in the second. I guess I would be surprised if one of Fred Jackson/Lynch/Charles isn't there.

Just finished my draft. 1 QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1 flex, K, D/ST. 6 point all TD's, no PPR,...Calvin JohnsonMarshaun LynchFred JacksonMichael VickDarreen Sproles]Eric DeckerEli ManningCJ SpillerMalcolm FloydToby GerhartAnquan BoldinBironasSteeler DPettigrewCollie
I'm digging this squad. well done. I've done some mocks where i went calvin, ajg and cruz and then absolutely pounded rbs the rest of the way. I was liking that as well.

'Futz said:
Just finished my draft. 1 QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1 flex, K, D/ST. 6 point all TD's, no PPR,...Calvin JohnsonMarshaun LynchFred JacksonMichael VickDarreen Sproles]Eric DeckerEli ManningCJ SpillerMalcolm FloydToby GerhartAnquan BoldinBironasSteeler DPettigrewCollie
I'm digging this squad. well done. I've done some mocks where i went calvin, ajg and cruz and then absolutely pounded rbs the rest of the way. I was liking that as well.
Thanks. Love the fact I have Spiller handcuffed to Jackson - automatic start every week from Buffalo. If Lynch's back is OK I love my starting RB's. I know a lot of the posters here are questioning whether the likes of Lynch OR FJax will fall to them in the 2nd round. In my opinion it's a guarantee that at least one of them will, and in my case I got both as FJax fell to round 3. They are super solid, but not super sexy, picks. They will fall. With Lynch's back news, if I were drafting today I'd probably reverse the 2 - take FJax in round 2 and hope that Lynch falls to round 3. Lynch's back spasm thing wasn't known when I drafted, and I was targeting him big time. I just think starting with Calvin at #5 gives you so many options - I didn't have to reach for any position, any pick. If you start with McFadden you are already reaching a bit right out of the gate (I do like him a lot though).

'Futz said:
Thanks. Love the fact I have Spiller handcuffed to Jackson - automatic start every week from Buffalo. If Lynch's back is OK I love my starting RB's. I know a lot of the posters here are questioning whether the likes of Lynch OR FJax will fall to them in the 2nd round. In my opinion it's a guarantee that at least one of them will, and in my case I got both as FJax fell to round 3. They are super solid, but not super sexy, picks. They will fall. With Lynch's back news, if I were drafting today I'd probably reverse the 2 - take FJax in round 2 and hope that Lynch falls to round 3. Lynch's back spasm thing wasn't known when I drafted, and I was targeting him big time. I just think starting with Calvin at #5 gives you so many options - I didn't have to reach for any position, any pick. If you start with McFadden you are already reaching a bit right out of the gate (I do like him a lot though).
i could live with Calvin --> Charles --> Fjax to start out my draft followed by an Antonio Brown/Torrey Smith combo in 4th and 5th ORRodgers -->Charles-->Marshall, Roddy, Welker combo

'Futz said:
I dig this squad too. Only think i would have maybe gone best avail WR in 4th instead of Vick. I'm fine with Eli.

'Futz said:
Did you really get Pettigrew that late or is this not listed round by round? I assume your league starts TEs. That's highway robbery.ETA: Ahhhh just saw no TE starter required. That's a pretty damm good draft especially when you consider the drafting emphasis on TEs was not there so they dropped off the board quite a bit making the competition for other positions even more fierce.

'Futz said:
I dig this squad too. Only think i would have maybe gone best avail WR in 4th instead of Vick. I'm fine with Eli.
You're right. Hindsight is 20-20 and QB's in our 6 point league FLY off the board. One guy hoarded Brady, Cutler and Rivers. I would have been fine with Eli but thought he'd go sooner, and I had Vick ranked above him for upside (questionable). So it took patience to wait as long as I did, and felt Vick's PPG upside was too good to pass up there. Had I known Eli would have dropped that far my team would be stronger had I gone WR in the 4th for sure.

10-team league, 1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1RB/WR, 1TE, 1K, 1DST ... 4pt Passing TDs, No PPR, 1 keeper each team (drafted round 4 or higher previous year). I drafted from the 5-hole last night ... This is kind of a rag-tag, unpredictable group so I'm always on my toes with this league. This is a low stakes fun league.

1.05 LeSean McCoy !!! (started Rice, Foster, Rodgers, Calvin)

2.05 Jamaal Charles

3.05 Dez Bryant

4.05 Doug Martin (now I have 3 solid RBs I can start)

5.05 Matt Ryan (11th QB off the board!)

6.05 Jimmy Graham (keeper from 2011, drafted 8th round, cost = 6th round pick in 2012)

7.05 PHI DST (unnecessary pick early on my part here; targeting A Brown but went 1 pick before me)

8.05 Torrey Smith

9.05 Kevin Smith

10.05 Kenny Britt (great value, especially if paired with Dez late in the season)

11.05 Andrew Luck (keeper potential; RGIII went 8.07)

12.05 Titus Young (WR2)

13.05 D Heyward Bay (WR2)

14.05 Kendall Hunter

15.05 Matt Bryant

1 QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1 flex, TE, K, D/ST. 6 point all TD's, .5 PPR 12 team league $200 entry fee.

Had the #5 Pick and hated it, never liked my options in mocks. Was set to take McFadden @ 5, and hope for McCoy to fall. Never liked a Top QB or Megatron strategy.

Then the unthinkable happened, QB's went picks 1-4. I never, ever considered that Foster would be there. I went RB/RB/RB rounds 1-3, In round 3 I selected my 3rd RB in hopes of starting a RB panic like the QB run, leaving me an opportunity to get 3 top WR's. It worked to an extent but the run that I created screwed me out of my handcuffs.

QB

Big Ben

Flacco

RB

Foster

T Richardson

J Charles

R Jennings

J Rodgers

WR

AJ Green

Dez

Torrey Smith

K Britt

R Cobb

TE

Jared Cook

K

Prater

Def

49ers

One thing that miffs me is that every cheat sheet that I used from FBG's whether it be from DD, PD or VBD, showed the 49ers #1, so after I had amassed a good core I was hoping to start a DEF run by selecting DEF one round early, it never materialized and when I imputed my draft into the rate my team function it had the 49ers D as the 3rd ranked D....WTF?!

1 QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1 flex, TE, K, D/ST. 6 point all TD's, .5 PPR 12 team league $200 entry fee.Had the #5 Pick and hated it, never liked my options in mocks. Was set to take McFadden @ 5, and hope for McCoy to fall. Never liked a Top QB or Megatron strategy.Then the unthinkable happened, QB's went picks 1-4. I never, ever considered that Foster would be there. I went RB/RB/RB rounds 1-3, In round 3 I selected my 3rd RB in hopes of starting a RB panic like the QB run, leaving me an opportunity to get 3 top WR's. It worked to an extent but the run that I created screwed me out of my handcuffs. QBBig BenFlaccoRBFosterT RichardsonJ CharlesR JenningsJ RodgersWRAJ GreenDezTorrey SmithK BrittR CobbTEJared CookKPraterDef49ersOne thing that miffs me is that every cheat sheet that I used from FBG's whether it be from DD, PD or VBD, showed the 49ers #1, so after I had amassed a good core I was hoping to start a DEF run by selecting DEF one round early, it never materialized and when I imputed my draft into the rate my team function it had the 49ers D as the 3rd ranked D....WTF?!
This team should take you far this season. Nice work.

10 teamer no ppr stunned the draftroom by taking AP over Aaron Rodgers (Packer Fan to boot) :bag: but I had a strategy if Megatron was gone and he was. Pretty big money league with a mix of sharks, hawks and gups:

1-AP

2-Jimmy Graham

3-Charles :OTIS:

4-STafford :excited:

5-Harvin :hangover:

6-Steven Jackson :thanks:

7-Bowe

8-Sydney Rice

9-Crosby K

10-Crabtree

11-Packers

12-Tampa Mike

13-Mendenhall

14-Russell Wilson

15-Braylon

16-Haushka

I may regret taking AP but figured it worth a shot knowing he wasn't coming back in the 2nd. Tried to handcuff with Gerhart but Viking Fan grabbed him in the 4th <_<

I'll take it and hope modern sports medicine is up to the task this season! :drive:

I thought I was going to have a tough decision from the 5 spot in my draft earlier today...I just didn't realize that the decision was going to be Ray Rice OR Lesean McCoy! Value fell to me in just about every round!

12 team PPR 4 pt pass td, 6 pt all other TD (Start QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, Flex (RB or WR) TE, K, D

1.05 Ray Rice (RB1)

2.08 Steven Jackson (RB2)

3.05 Rob Gronkowski (TE1)

4.08 Trent Richardson (RB3)

5.05 Dez Bryant (WR1)

6.08 Vincent Jackson (WR2)

7.05 DeSean Jackson (WR3)

8.08 Peyton Manning (QB1)

9.05 Peyton Hillis (RB4)

10.8 Jay Cutler (QB2)

11.5 Titus Young (WR4)

12.8 Mark Ingram (RB5)

13.5 Denarius Moore (WR5)

14.8 Ryan Williams (RB6)

15.5 Philadelphia Def (Def 1)

16.8 Matt Bryant (Kicker)

Overall I drafted 3 Jacksons, 2 Peytons, and a Gronk!

1 QB, 2RB, 3WR, 1 flex, TE, K, D/ST. 6 point all TD's, .5 PPR 12 team league $200 entry fee.Had the #5 Pick and hated it, never liked my options in mocks. Was set to take McFadden @ 5, and hope for McCoy to fall. Never liked a Top QB or Megatron strategy.Then the unthinkable happened, QB's went picks 1-4. I never, ever considered that Foster would be there. I went RB/RB/RB rounds 1-3, In round 3 I selected my 3rd RB in hopes of starting a RB panic like the QB run, leaving me an opportunity to get 3 top WR's. It worked to an extent but the run that I created screwed me out of my handcuffs. QBBig BenFlaccoRBFosterT RichardsonJ CharlesR JenningsJ RodgersWRAJ GreenDezTorrey SmithK BrittR CobbTEJared CookKPraterDef49ersOne thing that miffs me is that every cheat sheet that I used from FBG's whether it be from DD, PD or VBD, showed the 49ers #1, so after I had amassed a good core I was hoping to start a DEF run by selecting DEF one round early, it never materialized and when I imputed my draft into the rate my team function it had the 49ers D as the 3rd ranked D....WTF?!
Stunning that Qb's would go 1-4. So it went Rodgers, Brady, Brees and then someone took Stafford or Newton? Seriously? Before Foster/Rice/McCoy in any format? Shocking. Great for you. If TRich hits you are gold. No Tate, though, huh?

10 teamer no ppr stunned the draftroom by taking AP over Aaron Rodgers (Packer Fan to boot) :bag: but I had a strategy if Megatron was gone and he was. Pretty big money league with a mix of sharks, hawks and gups:1-AP2-Jimmy Graham3-Charles :OTIS:4-STafford :excited: 5-Harvin :hangover: 6-Steven Jackson :thanks: 7-Bowe8-Sydney Rice9-Crosby K10-Crabtree11-Packers12-Tampa Mike13-Mendenhall14-Russell Wilson15-Braylon16-HaushkaI may regret taking AP but figured it worth a shot knowing he wasn't coming back in the 2nd. Tried to handcuff with Gerhart but Viking Fan grabbed him in the 4th <_< I'll take it and hope modern sports medicine is up to the task this season! :drive:
Ouch...huge mistake. I wouldn't touch ADP until the 3rd round at the earliest...can't believe you reached so far for him. At the least, he'll start the season very slowly. At the worst, Gerhart will eat heavily into his production and he may re-injure himself. There are about 8 other RBS that were much better values there IMO, including DMC, Johnson, Sproles, etc. etc.

Stunning that Qb's would go 1-4. So it went Rodgers, Brady, Brees and then someone took Stafford or Newton? Seriously? Before Foster/Rice/McCoy in any format? Shocking. Great for you. If TRich hits you are gold. No Tate, though, huh?
Why can't I find guppy leagues like this? Easy $$$.

I had the #5 pick in a 14 tm ppr redraft. start 1 qb, 1 rb, 1 wr, 1 te, 1 pk, 1 d/st, 2 flex slots (rb, wr, te) (11 man total roster). All td's 6 pts.

I ended up with this:

1 - L. McCoy (went Rodgers, Foster, Brees, Rice)

2 - Jimmy Graham (knew R. Mathews would fall)

3 - Ryan Mathews

4 - P. Harvin

5 - Philip Rivers

6 - Ahmad Bradshaw

7 - Pierre Garcon

8 - Jay Cutler

9- Reggie Wayne

10 - Pats D/ST

11 - Matt Bryant

"Championship"

We all live in the Carolinas so it was Newton. No on Tate, people were desperate for RB's and reaching big time. Ridley went in the 3rd. It's a work league and it is very competitive, nobody gives up, and it's a lot of fun.

'Warpig said:
I had the #5 pick in a 14 tm ppr redraft. start 1 qb, 1 rb, 1 wr, 1 te, 1 pk, 1 d/st, 2 flex slots (rb, wr, te) (11 man total roster). All td's 6 pts.I ended up with this:1 - L. McCoy (went Rodgers, Foster, Brees, Rice)2 - Jimmy Graham (knew R. Mathews would fall)3 - Ryan Mathews4 - P. Harvin5 - Philip Rivers6 - Ahmad Bradshaw7 - Pierre Garcon8 - Jay Cutler9- Reggie Wayne10 - Pats D/ST11 - Matt Bryant"Championship"
How does Ryan fall to the third and Bradshaw to the 6th? I have done 6 drafts and Ryan hasn't made it out of 2nd round, and Bradshaw always goes in the 3rd. Love Harvin this year in that division. Great team!

I'm just starting a draft from #5 (all 6 point TDs, QB 2xRB 3xWR TE, no PPR) and the first round pick is quite comfortable. With Rodgers and the top 3 RBs gone, there are plenty of options. If you think Brady will score 5000/50 (I don't) he's yours. I'd be okay with Brees or McFadden this high as well. But Calvin is just too good to pass up, and with him locked in I can wait for WR to fall way down the board before filling in my WR2/3 spots. The 6th round should offer someone like Stevie Johnson, Antonio Brown, Torrey Smith, etc. at worst.

The 20th overall pick, our second round choice, is the tricky one. Now, this isn't a PPR league, but people have not been so keen to grab the second tier of RBs immediately. Murray, Charles, S Jax, Mathews, Lynch were the top RBs available. I like all those guys to some degree, but they all feel like slight reaches in the interest of locking down an RB1 who is not a "sure thing." If I were going RB here, it would be Lynch. I think he's quite safe, maybe even underrated (I'd rather have him than Forte, for instance) but he would be the solid pick equivalent of Brees in the first. Probably fine, but not making me feel like I have a leg up on anyone in positional scoring.

So if not RB... well, Gronk went at 2.05 but I like Jimmy Graham better anyway, so he's the pick. So two rounds deep, I'm running contrary to this year's model of drafting an RB tandem straight off, and in a non-PPR to boot. However, I think at least one pretty good RB will drop to 3.05. I expect to be looking at F Jax, maybe Mathews, Richardson (not interested), ADP, or Martin. That's more of a minefield than our options at RB with the 20th pick, but with my projected best WR and TE stashed, I should be able to get at least two decent RBs by the end of the 5th, if not three.

Seems like everyone's having similar stories about the top RB tier falling to the 5 spot. My draft went Rodgers, Brady, Rice, McCoy, so I happily took Foster and skipped away ;-) Grabbed Fitz, Matthews, and SJax with my next 3.

Seems like everyone's having similar stories about the top RB tier falling to the 5 spot. My draft went Rodgers, Brady, Rice, McCoy, so I happily took Foster and skipped away ;-) Grabbed Fitz, Matthews, and SJax with my next 3.
Unreal. I wish but there was no way that was happening.

12 team

4pt passing TDs, 1PPR

1QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1RB/WR, 1TE, 1PK, 1DST

QB: Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck

RB: Chris Johnson, Ryan Mathews, Doug Martin, Donald Brown, Ronnie Brown

WR: Brandon Marshall, Demaryius Thomas, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Santonio Holmes

TE: Aaron Hernandez

PK: Stephen Gostkowski

TD: Philadelphia Eagles

Got this from the 5th spot in a 12 team non ppr.

First four picks were ------ Foster, Rice, Mccoy, Mcfadden. Couldn't pull the trigger on Rodgers as passing TD's are worth 4 points, and I kind of had my mind set going into the draft I wanted Ryan.

1 - Calvin Johnson

2 - Ryan Matthews

3 - Trent Richardson

4 - Matt Ryan

5 - Brandon Lloyd

6 - Dwayne Bowe

7 - Stevan Ridley

8 - Ryan Williams

9 - Deangelo Williams

10 - Jason Witten

11 - Rashard Jennings

12 - Ben Roethlisberger

13 - Ronnie Brown

14 - Austin Collie

15 - Steve Smith Rams

16 - New England

17 - Bilal Powell

18 - New York Jets

19 - Kyle Rudolph

20 - KICKER

Looks like you may have an RB issue to start the year, but if they pan out, you could be good. Who do you think you'll start week one?

Looks like you may have an RB issue to start the year, but if they pan out, you could be good. Who do you think you'll start week one?
Ronnie BrownDeangelo Williams if stewart is out ridley at flexstill have jennings on the bench. hoping I can make it through the first two weeks 1-1 until Mathews and Richardson are ready

I picked 5th and took Calvin. I was able to get Charles and Richardson in the next two rounds. I was pretty happy with that.

QBs get 6 per so some of them went late first and early second.

I thought this was the easiest pick in the first round, take who is left out of Mccoy, Foster, Rice, Rodgers, and Megatron

I thought this was the easiest pick in the first round, take who is left out of Mccoy, Foster, Rice, Rodgers, and Megatron
:thumbup: Seriously. Fifth might have been the best spot overall this year, with one of those five guaranteed and a good second-rounder to boot.

Users who are viewing this thread