What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Semi-official Green Bay Packers Super Bowl Champs thread (1 Viewer)

Bigby singed his tender and Bulaga is reportedly "withing striking distance" of signing his contract, which means the Packers will have every single member of their 82-man roster in camp when it opens this weekend.

I look at all the craziness going on around the NFL and continue to be amazed and thankful with the leadership we have in Green Bay.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/99511624.html

Bigby singed his tender and Bulaga is reportedly "withing striking distance" of signing his contract, which means the Packers will have every single member of their 82-man roster in camp when it opens this weekend.

I look at all the craziness going on around the NFL and continue to be amazed and thankful with the leadership we have in Green Bay.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/99511624.html
This year anyway.Nothing too crazy about contracts going it does not seem...everyone ready for camp and lets get it started.

Looking for some good camp battles at guard, right tackle backup, TE, FB, OLB, Safety, and Corner.

Old Bag o Donuts has been doing some good breakdowns of the competitions.

http://olbagofdonuts.com/

Bulaga signed

The entire roster is now under contract in time for camp opening this weekend
:confused: Time to get to work.

With Goodell being at the shareholders...he did not want to discuss the Jolly thing and kept saying it was only a matter of the substance abuse policy.

Since we never heard he was ever in the program, had never hit the 4 game suspension...it shows he possibly failed a test, while on appeal of the 4 gamer.

What a freaking moron. Though, still odd that he passed every court ordered drug test.

The Packers released their first depth chart today, for what its worth: http://www.packers.com/team/depth-chart.html

We knew from camp reports that Matthews was moved to the left side. This confirms the Packers have officially moved Chillar (and his big new contract) to the outside on the right and they've listed him as the #1 there, ahead of Brad Jones, with Bishop backing up both inside positions. Brandon Underwood has passed Jarret Bush and looks likely to be the #1 choice in the nickel. As expected, rookie Morgan Burnett is the tentative opening day starter at strong safety if Bigby can't get fit. With Johnny Jolly gone for the year (at least) the DL has gone from a position of depth with a great rotation to a position that suddenly looks very thin (backups being Justin Harrel and Mike Neal at the ends and Anthony Toribio (???) backing up Raji in the middle - that's scary).

On offense, the only interesting note is the OL, which is probably not set yet. As we heard yesterday, Brian Bulaga is now primarily taking reps at LG, and is listed as the #1 backup at both LG and LT, with Lang and Giacomini backing up on the right side and Spitz in the middle. The interesting thing about this line is they have so many guys who play multiple positions, which I suppose is both good and bad.

With Johnny Jolly gone for the year (at least) the DL has gone from a position of depth with a great rotation to a position that suddenly looks very thin (backups being Justin Harrel and Mike Neal at the ends and Anthony Toribio (???) backing up Raji in the middle - that's scary).
That is indeed scary. Thanks a lot Johnny Jolly.....what a moron.
On offense, the only interesting note is the OL, which is probably not set yet. As we heard yesterday, Brian Bulaga is now primarily taking reps at LG, and is listed as the #1 backup at both LG and LT, with Lang and Giacomini backing up on the right side and Spitz in the middle. The interesting thing about this line is they have so many guys who play multiple positions, which I suppose is both good and bad.
Am I the only one who considers this an indictment of our coaching staff? I read an article recently that talked about how McCarthy and co. are still debating where Lang fits best in the long-run (OG or OT). Maybe I'm dense, but it strikes me that a coaching staff - after a full year of watching a guy practice and play - should be able to reach a consensus on where a guy belongs. Similar to Spitz shuffling all over the place, Barbe, Colledge, etc. We move guys around WAY too much. It's great for flexibility (which has been important due to our mass of injuries the past couple years) but it likely slows down player development too. Anyway, curious what others think. It has annoyed me for awhile.

With Johnny Jolly gone for the year (at least) the DL has gone from a position of depth with a great rotation to a position that suddenly looks very thin (backups being Justin Harrel and Mike Neal at the ends and Anthony Toribio (???) backing up Raji in the middle - that's scary).
That is indeed scary. Thanks a lot Johnny Jolly.....what a moron.
Am I the only one who considers this an indictment of our coaching staff? I read an article recently that talked about how McCarthy and co. are still debating where Lang fits best in the long-run (OG or OT). Maybe I'm dense, but it strikes me that a coaching staff - after a full year of watching a guy practice and play - should be able to reach a consensus on where a guy belongs. Similar to Spitz shuffling all over the place, Barbe, Colledge, etc. We move guys around WAY too much. It's great for flexibility (which has been important due to our mass of injuries the past couple years) but it likely slows down player development too. Anyway, curious what others think. It has annoyed me for awhile.
I think the staff values having versatile guys. Although when they are mediocre at everything, I'm not sure how that helps your team.

Any rumored ETA on James Starks hamstring allowing return to practice? I read it wasn't torn at end of July, and I think that's the last report(?)

Last edited by a moderator:
With Bulaga its just that they see him already coming along...and not quite happy yet with what Spitz/Colledge bring to the table at LG. I think its trying to just get their best guys out there at once.

Lang is interesting, as he seems to either not be taking to RT very well so they are working him only at guard...but Sitton is pretty well entrenched and young so it seems like a waste of Lang's talents.

Good to see Breno at least impressing enough to be the top backup.

Just looks like Barbre is a sure odd man out in all of this.

Spitz is tradeable. Barbre should be cut. Colledge has been up-and-down but I'd be a little surprised to see him cut.
As bad as Colledge has looked at times, he has started 60 of 64 games since he was drafted, and I would say most of his really bad moments last season were when he was forced to play tackle without having prepared for it (which was an inexcusable coaching blunder). Spitz could easily work his way into the starting lineup between now and opening day, and at a minimum is a capable back-up at all three interior positions. With all this flexibility on the line, I agree that Barbre should probably stick to renting in Titletown for now, and I'd advise him to avoid a 12 mo lease if possible.As for Breno, I know he is listed as the #1 backup for Tauscher today, but I can't imagine him really being the first guy off the bench in that role in a real game.

With Bulaga its just that they see him already coming along...and not quite happy yet with what Spitz/Colledge bring to the table at LG. I think its trying to just get their best guys out there at once.Lang is interesting, as he seems to either not be taking to RT very well so they are working him only at guard...but Sitton is pretty well entrenched and young so it seems like a waste of Lang's talents.Good to see Breno at least impressing enough to be the top backup.Just looks like Barbre is a sure odd man out in all of this.
Part of the problem with the line is TT drafted players to play zone but they found in winter they would prefer bigger linemen. The same thing happened with the defense switching to the 3-4 after years with the 4-3.It's hard to build a team with changing requirements, but I'm not a fan of a lot of Thompsons picks.Aaron Rodgers and Bulaga both fell in his lap.

cr8f said:
With Bulaga its just that they see him already coming along...and not quite happy yet with what Spitz/Colledge bring to the table at LG. I think its trying to just get their best guys out there at once.Lang is interesting, as he seems to either not be taking to RT very well so they are working him only at guard...but Sitton is pretty well entrenched and young so it seems like a waste of Lang's talents.Good to see Breno at least impressing enough to be the top backup.Just looks like Barbre is a sure odd man out in all of this.
Part of the problem with the line is TT drafted players to play zone but they found in winter they would prefer bigger linemen. The same thing happened with the defense switching to the 3-4 after years with the 4-3.It's hard to build a team with changing requirements, but I'm not a fan of a lot of Thompsons picks.Aaron Rodgers and Bulaga both fell in his lap.
Well, part of the problem is they went zone when Zags was around and he left after one year. IMO, they should have about scrapped it there.I don't agree the same thing happened at all with the 3-4. The transition went quite smooth other than with Kampman.Im a fan of many of his picks. Not all, but guys like Rodgers, Collins, Jennings, Finley, Jones, Sitton, Matthews and so on. Yes, you have the Harrells and Brohms out there, but, for the most part, his picks have been pretty solid for this team.And we can claim those guys fell in his lap, but others will say there is a reason those guys fell, but he still had to pull the trigger.And he took quite a lot of flack about taking Rodgers back then.

cr8f said:
Well, part of the problem is they went zone when Zags was around and he left after one year. IMO, they should have about scrapped it there.I don't agree the same thing happened at all with the 3-4. The transition went quite smooth other than with Kampman.Im a fan of many of his picks. Not all, but guys like Rodgers, Collins, Jennings, Finley, Jones, Sitton, Matthews and so on. Yes, you have the Harrells and Brohms out there, but, for the most part, his picks have been pretty solid for this team.And we can claim those guys fell in his lap, but others will say there is a reason those guys fell, but he still had to pull the trigger.And he took quite a lot of flack about taking Rodgers back then.
I can't believe some people are still complaining about some of Thompson's picks. He has this team positioned as a Superbowl favorite not only this year but for several years to come. You can't hit on all your picks.

cr8f said:
I can't believe some people are still complaining about some of Thompson's picks. He has this team positioned as a Superbowl favorite not only this year but for several years to come. You can't hit on all your picks.
Agreed...its one thing to get at him for not going after veterans in FA...but he has been pretty darn good by the numbers as far as drafting.What GM out there hits on every pick? Or how many hit on as many as he has? (not saying he is the best here by any stretch, Id actually like to see who all hits on the highest number of picks leaguewide).

They both fell into a lot of teams laps. He was smart enough to pick them, though :thumbup:

He has this team positioned as a Superbowl favorite
Actually, the favorites are Indianapolis 13/2, Dallas 8/1, New Orleans 8/1, San Diego 17/2, New England 9/1 and Minnesota and Green Bay are next at 10/1 and then the Jets at 12/1

McCarthy has ended the discussion at LG by announcing that Colledge will start against the Eagles.
His hand seems slightly forced.First by Colledge actually playing well so far this preseason. He looks tougher out there than he has been, actually finishing blocks and putting people on the ground.Second, Bulaga has been dinged up.I hope this also means they will try and get something for Spitz in a trade. Even just draft picks...don't let a versatile Olineman go for nothing.I also hope they keep Cherry over Swain at WR. He brings more to special teams returns than Swain does anywhere. Not like we are missing that production from a 5th WR either.Sheilds also appears to be the end of Jarrett Bush.

I hope this also means they will try and get something for Spitz in a trade. Even just draft picks...don't let a versatile Olineman go for nothing.I also hope they keep Cherry over Swain at WR. He brings more to special teams returns than Swain does anywhere. Not like we are missing that production from a 5th WR either.Sheilds also appears to be the end of Jarrett Bush.
I think they keep Spitz, I like 10 OL-men and leaves them good backup depth across the board, plus development guy(s): Clifton, Colledge, Wells, Sitton, Tauscher; Lang (RT, OG), Spitz (any interior position), Dietrich-Smith (C, OG); Bulaga (LG, LT); Newhouse (OG? OT?). Could maybe trade Spitz, but I think it weakens them as backups.Swain stays if Chery can't cut it as PR/KR. If Chery does well Thurs, I think Swain is gone. Chery was a special teams ace in college on most return and coverage teams. I hope Shields knocks Bush out. Peprah/Blackmon is an interesting scenario too. I don't read too much into Bigby/Harris on PUP. They weren't ready, and need more time to come back from injury. Harris may be a beneficiary as he'll have fresher legs down the back half of the season. Allows them to keep their players until final cut-down too, which is good too. Negative is a weaker secondary for at least the first six, but who knows when they would have been ready anyway. Bigby really screwed the pooch in his whole off season "statement" on his tender.

I like the picks for the most part. Would have liked to have seen a cb taken in there somewhere, as I feel that is our biggest deficiency right now. Maybe someone will get cut after the draft and we can pick them up. I would feel a lot better if I knew we had a guy we could stick in at nickle as I am not counting on Harris to start the year.
I keep hearing this, but I don't really understand it. In the last few years, they've add Pat Lee and Brandon Underwood. Blackmon and Tramon have been there a while. You're telling me there's not one or two of those guys that can play nickel? Al Harris will be back. At what level, I don't know. But Underwood flashed at times last year. Pat Lee is an athletic freak. Blackmon can play if need be, though I'll admit his injury history scares me.In any case, they've invested some effort into the defensive backfield. It is not as deficient as most think. Young and/or unproven? Sure. But not short on talent. And they all look a lot better with a good pass rush.
Still feel confident about the nickle position?

JFT Ben said:
I hope this also means they will try and get something for Spitz in a trade. Even just draft picks...don't let a versatile Olineman go for nothing.I also hope they keep Cherry over Swain at WR. He brings more to special teams returns than Swain does anywhere. Not like we are missing that production from a 5th WR either.Sheilds also appears to be the end of Jarrett Bush.
I think they keep Spitz, I like 10 OL-men and leaves them good backup depth across the board, plus development guy(s): Clifton, Colledge, Wells, Sitton, Tauscher; Lang (RT, OG), Spitz (any interior position), Dietrich-Smith (C, OG); Bulaga (LG, LT); Newhouse (OG? OT?). Could maybe trade Spitz, but I think it weakens them as backups.Swain stays if Chery can't cut it as PR/KR. If Chery does well Thurs, I think Swain is gone. Chery was a special teams ace in college on most return and coverage teams. I hope Shields knocks Bush out. Peprah/Blackmon is an interesting scenario too. I don't read too much into Bigby/Harris on PUP. They weren't ready, and need more time to come back from injury. Harris may be a beneficiary as he'll have fresher legs down the back half of the season. Allows them to keep their players until final cut-down too, which is good too. Negative is a weaker secondary for at least the first six, but who knows when they would have been ready anyway. Bigby really screwed the pooch in his whole off season "statement" on his tender.
I like what I have seen from Dietrich-Smith enough to let Spitz go. With Bulaga being able to play LG if College is out...it makes Spitz more expendable and he should bring something decent in a trade...even if its a dime back for the secondary.

JFT Ben said:
I like what I have seen from Dietrich-Smith enough to let Spitz go. With Bulaga being able to play LG if College is out...it makes Spitz more expendable and he should bring something decent in a trade...even if its a dime back for the secondary.
:goodposting:

JFT Ben said:
Would love to see this happen, however I am not sure we could get anything worthwhile in a trade.

I like the picks for the most part. Would have liked to have seen a cb taken in there somewhere, as I feel that is our biggest deficiency right now. Maybe someone will get cut after the draft and we can pick them up. I would feel a lot better if I knew we had a guy we could stick in at nickle as I am not counting on Harris to start the year.
I keep hearing this, but I don't really understand it. In the last few years, they've add Pat Lee and Brandon Underwood. Blackmon and Tramon have been there a while. You're telling me there's not one or two of those guys that can play nickel? Al Harris will be back. At what level, I don't know. But Underwood flashed at times last year. Pat Lee is an athletic freak. Blackmon can play if need be, though I'll admit his injury history scares me.In any case, they've invested some effort into the defensive backfield. It is not as deficient as most think. Young and/or unproven? Sure. But not short on talent. And they all look a lot better with a good pass rush.
No, because Harris is on the PUP and Underwood is injured. Underwood would've been just fine if not for the shoulder. Any time you're wearing a harness, it's not good. I do like what I've seen from Shields though.Bottom line. This defense is predicated on pressure. If they can do that, then the DBs will be fine.

"Bottom line. This defense is predicated on pressure. If they can do that, then the DBs will be fine. "

I agree here, if the Pack can get anything for Spitz or whoever, I hope its a high motor hybrid type OLB who can apply pressure...Otherwise a draft pick.

They have too much talent just sitting there for nothing, I'd be surprised if nothing happens.

The defense is in trouble. Pressure was a concern all off-season and they didn't address it. Matthews hopefully will be healthy but Jones also hasn't played all pre-season and hasn't shown enough to be just blindly relied upon. They are experimenting with Chillar out of position to help generate a pass rush. The secondary is in big trouble. Williams is average and nothing more. Burnett is a rookie and Underwood and Lee have been so bad, the undrafted rookie who has played exactly 1 year of db in college may be promoted to nickel back. Their depth at safety is Peprah, the maligned Bush and new to the position Blackmon. They are going to be in a high number of shoot outs all season. Thompson has proved the haters wrong but he needed to address these positions in the offseason. We're probably going to see a few trades and some pickups.

No, because Harris is on the PUP and Underwood is injured. Underwood would've been just fine if not for the shoulder. Any time you're wearing a harness, it's not good. I do like what I've seen from Shields though.Bottom line. This defense is predicated on pressure. If they can do that, then the DBs will be fine.
I am not sure why people were expecting Harris to be ready to go for the start of the season. The type of injury he had indicated that he would not have been ready to start the season.

jurrassic said:
The defense is in trouble. Pressure was a concern all off-season and they didn't address it. Matthews hopefully will be healthy but Jones also hasn't played all pre-season and hasn't shown enough to be just blindly relied upon. They are experimenting with Chillar out of position to help generate a pass rush. The secondary is in big trouble. Williams is average and nothing more. Burnett is a rookie and Underwood and Lee have been so bad, the undrafted rookie who has played exactly 1 year of db in college may be promoted to nickel back. Their depth at safety is Peprah, the maligned Bush and new to the position Blackmon. They are going to be in a high number of shoot outs all season. Thompson has proved the haters wrong but he needed to address these positions in the offseason. We're probably going to see a few trades and some pickups.
Why was pressure so much a concern for the team that was I think 10th or 11th in sacks last year?Add in year 2 for Clay, and even more blitz situations as the team is more comfortable with the 3/4 and I think they will be fine on pressure.They have rarely blitzed even 5 this preseason (I think it was at about 20% of the time prior to the Colts game and to that point had never brought 6 guys on a blitz yet).They did not address it by signing anyone...but they did move Raji inside to create a push up the middle to help free up some things.The secondary is the big question mark. Without Harris this pushes Underwood with that injury into the nickel role. Without the injury I would not be as worried, with it I am. And dime situations are bothersome as well.Underwood has not been "so bad" though. I disagree there.I think Tramon is a bit better than just average...or at least can be. Yes, Wayne and Manning did make him look a bit silly, no doubt there. Thankfully Wayne and Manning don't play the Packers ever week without any blitzes.I hope we do see a few trades...in order Id be trying to unload Spitz and then Donald Lee. I doubt anyone will be wanting a FB but I think they could lose Hall with no problems there.

Green Bay Packers DL Justin Harrell (knee) will miss the rest of the 2010 season after tearing his anterior cruciate ligament in Week 1, reports Packers.com.
Kid is probably done. He is a bust. He was injured when they selected him and has been injured ever since. Time to move on.
Too bad, as it was finally starting to look like he'd at least contribute something. But I agree, he should be done now.Mike Neal can take his spot, and he'll play well, assuming he's healthy. Wynn's just a guy, but he'll play some snaps to give guys some rest.

Green Bay Packers DL Justin Harrell (knee) will miss the rest of the 2010 season after tearing his anterior cruciate ligament in Week 1, reports Packers.com.
Kid is probably done. He is a bust. He was injured when they selected him and has been injured ever since. Time to move on.
Too bad, as it was finally starting to look like he'd at least contribute something. But I agree, he should be done now.Mike Neal can take his spot, and he'll play well, assuming he's healthy. Wynn's just a guy, but he'll play some snaps to give guys some rest.
:lmao: More worried about Grant right now.And Tauscher limping around is not a great thing to see yesterday...especially since he was getting beat pretty bad at times.

My thoughts on yesterday's game.

Mathews is a beast. BEAST. Looking forward to seeing what he does when he's in game shape. He looked like he was going to pass out at one point after chasing Vick around.

Very cool to see Zombo come in and get a sack. Might just be a nice change of pace weapon to throw out there once in a while.

Sure seemed like Tramon Williams played well. Let's hope he keeps that up, but he looked promising.

Shields/Burnett did OK. Shields looked like a rookie on a few occasions.

Clifton and Tauscher are very, very concerning. I couldn't believe my eyes when Clifton got walked back directly into Rodgers at one point. I wasn't concerned about the tackle spots, but this has to be cleaned up next week or I think it could be a long season for Rodgers. Bulaga might be starting at one of the tackle spots if that keeps up.

Brandon Jackson ran very tough. He was punishing guys out there. Hate to see Grant go down, but I'm pretty comfortable with Jackson and Kuhn picking up the slack.

Special teams was also a nice surprise.

Good punts.

Good coverage.

Nice returns from Nelson.

Williams did not drop any punts or get hurt.

And Crosby hitting well and putting up a franchise record for FG.

Agree on Shields...they picked on him late to come back...but overall he played ok.

They're re-signing Jarius Wynn, who I have no reason to believe is worse than Harrell.
Is this definite??? I hope it is I live right across a courtyard in my apt complex from him and have hung out and played Madden with him. He is really close with Raji because they came into the league the same year and are both on the D-line. I actually went over and saved them from giving themselves salmonella. Wynn was grilling wings and the fire was WAY to hot getting the outside done but not the inside on the chickenso I finished cooking the wings and steaks him and BJ were having that night!!! Your welcome Green Bay!!Really stoked for Wynn though he's a great guy!!

We know that Hawk doesn't play in the sub packages, and they were apparently never in the base 3-4 the entire game, but is it not a bit surprising or disappointing that our #5 pick doesn't play a single snap from scrimmage on opening day?

Good story! Reportedly Wynn is already on his way to GB, so if you knock on his door and no one answers maybe you can confirm that. :thumbup:
Yep this is a done deal, I just talked to him last night as he came back home after signing his contract and congratulated him. Obviously, he was in pretty good spirits!! He said he will be dressing and his coaches said he would be playing, not starting but getting some action in this upcoming week. Talking to him I thought it was pretty funny, he said he got the call at halftime of the game!! The packers weren't wasting time. FYI He also said he talked to Atlanta when he was cut.

Users who are viewing this thread