What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Semi-official Green Bay Packers Super Bowl Champs thread (1 Viewer)

Do you guys think Green Bay will have a harder time stopping the passing game or the running game of the Giants.I see the Packers being able to score on the Giants thru the air. I wonder if the Giants will be able to keep up.
I think Atlanta is an offense that is a lot like New York's but is maybe a little bit better at 3 positions. So I'd look to that game as a reference. They have Turner who is a reasonable facimile to Brashaw and Jacobs. Tight Ends are pretty close. QB is pretty close. I'd give the edge to Atlanta for receiver because Roddy is just so good, I'm not sure Nicks is on that level yet. The Packers defense is for real but I think it is the rushing game for New York that suffers here. I have Bradshaw this weekend starting but only for lack of better options. I would imagine they use Woodson all over the field as I think Tramon can match up on Nicks reasonably and Shields has the speed to stay on Manningham. So Nicks may see some opportunities. The Packers offense has been up and down. They don't seem consistent. But then sometimes they just gash the #### out of people. The Giants have Dlinemen much like Detroit, who pushed around the Packers line two weeks ago. So I'm not so sure we see a shout out here.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/112326474.html

Good to see Clifton getting some recognition for his play for much of this year. Sitton too.

Though, our Oline is not good enough to have 2 guys leading the votes. Nice job stuffing the ballot box Packer fans.

Add in Matthews and Woodson too leading their categories. Deserving there...though, you could swap Woodson out and put Williams in.

I always hate using injuries as an excuse, but to ignore the Packers’ injury list this year is very hard. It has been said numerous times this year, “if you would have done me at the beginning of the year all of these players would be on IR or miss time, i.e. Rodgers and Matthews and the team would hold their own playoff fate with two games left…”. No matter how much faith you had in the this team it would be a tough sell for this to be believable.

Defensive injuries aside, the team lost two of their top four offensive players in Jermichael Finley and Ryan Grant and have survived. Look at arguably the top two teams in the NFC right now in Atlanta and Philadelphia. Take away Michael Turner and Tony Gonzalez from the Falcons and say LeSean McCoy and Jeremy Maclin from the Eagles; would these teams still be where they are, let alone playoff teams?

Basically, what the Packers have done is pretty remarkable. However, it doesn’t negate their failures in close games because it is obvious that they still have enough talent, despite all the injuries, to compete and beat the game’s best.
http://olbagofdonuts.com/index.php/2010/12...-talking-about/I agree with much of this article.

However, as good as I think Thompson has done building us to this point...can he push them over the top?

WHICH CITY HAS THE MOST KNOWLEDGEABLE FANS? (according to an SI NFL players poll)

Green Bay 26%

Pittsburgh 14%

New York 9%

Philadelphia 8%

Dallas 7%
:ph34r:
:bag: Look our excuses mean more now according to a small sample of NFL Players.
If you look at the post count in any Packer thread it is well known that sho nuff thinks he does know more than most fans.
:banned:

WHICH CITY HAS THE MOST KNOWLEDGEABLE FANS? (according to an SI NFL players poll)

Green Bay 26%

Pittsburgh 14%

New York 9%

Philadelphia 8%

Dallas 7%
How is something like this determined? I mean...do the players themselves walk around the stadium before/after the game asking the fans questions about the game of football? How the hell do players know what fans are knowledgeable about the game?

It is more likely that they go by which fans are the loudest (i.e. the most drunk/obnoxious fans).

Green Bay 26%

Pittsburgh 14%

New York 9%

Philadelphia 8%

Dallas 7%
How is something like this determined? I mean...do the players themselves walk around the stadium before/after the game asking the fans questions about the game of football? How the hell do players know what fans are knowledgeable about the game?

It is more likely that they go by which fans are the loudest (i.e. the most drunk/obnoxious fans).
Packer fans may be the most drunk, and if so, it is something we would take pride in. As for obnoxious, well that title resides elsewhere, I am certain.

10-6 after all of those injuries and into the playoffs.

Not bad, but hopefully not done yet.

McCarthy went from crap at 3-3, to looking good in the midseason stretch, to a new low point after Detroit.

Again, as he has done at the other low points, picks himself up a bit with the NE game (though, parts of that are why he was at that low point) and again with NY.

Against Chicago...they won a close game. Its part of that 4 point or less record thing that is dumb though. Were those 4 point games much closer than this one?

Anyway, he still does things that make little sense to me. That toss back to Jackson...I like it early in the year, maybe when up by a few points. But down 3 and the offense struggling in week 17 with the playoffs on the line. I don't like it.

That said, he has earned another year. What this team has done with what they were missing is worth commending the coaching staff and personnel dept. I still don't trust him down the stretch of a tight game...but don't think he has done anything that is a fireable offense.

Offensive MVP: Obviously going to keep being Rodgers. What he has done with little running game behind him is incredible. He has such command of the offense and can throw in whatever weather conditions there are. His numbers would be even scarier if the WRs could hold on to the ball.

Defensive MVP: A lot of great candidates here, and I can't chose between Matthews and Woodson. I think both are so important (we saw what the D was like without Matthews earlier in the year). I wanted to just give it to Clay, but can't overlook what Woodson does near the line of scrimmage, the turnovers he forces and things he can do. Honorable mention to Tramon Williams for providing great play at corner with Harris gone and Woodson's coverage skills not being up as they were last year.

And a huge thumbs up for Dom Capers. Doesn't seem to matter who lines up for that team, he gets them ready to go. Guys like Howard Green and Erik Walden and Frank Zombo...losing Harris, Bigby, Barnett, Jones, Poppinga, Chillar, Jolly and Jenkins (for part of the year) and still putting out such a great defense is a tribute to him for sure...and some credit to Ted Thompson for having some depth in places and being able to find guys that Capers can work with.

So far I consider this season a success. With all the injuries, I can't complain with a 10-6 record. I'm pleased with the job McCarthy has done, but I do think there is room for improvement.

I'm not a fan of going for the deep shot on 3rd/4th and 1. I know sometimes this is a QB call, but the playcall comes from the coach. After the Detroit game, McCarthy even said the deep shot was the priority on the playcall. There is not one 3rd/4th and 1 where I don't say "please don't go deep"...and it seems every game I am disappointed. I feel like sometimes McCarthy chooses the element of surprise over simple execution and that bothers me. But in the long run, he has done a hell of a job with this team and the obstacles they've had to overcome. I'm not always a fan of his game management for more reasons than just this, but I think he's overall a good coach.

Dom Capers is the team MVP to me. I don't care if he's a coach. If he isn't offered a Head Coaching gig, then they should make him the highest paid coordinator in the league. The man has worked miracles this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like sometimes McCarthy chooses the element of surprise over simple execution and that bothers me.

Dom Capers is the team MVP to me. I don't care if he's a coach. If he isn't offered a Head Coaching gig, then they should make him the highest paid coordinator in the league. The man has worked miracles this year.
Two statements I definately agree with.

I feel like sometimes McCarthy chooses the element of surprise over simple execution and that bothers me.

Two statements I definately agree with.
:lmao: Good points for sure.

Its part of why I have gone back and forth on McCarthy. He seems so good at times...but then has those moments that just haunt the team at times that get to me.

I like this Erik Walden fella.... he has a great burst....

Hopefully he continues to get better and better.... but he certainly had a great start :lmao:

Desmond Bishop gets 4 year $19 million extension.

Could signal the end to Barnett?

Or move him around or not care who is the starter as they have done with Chillar in the past in locking him up.

Green Bay 26%

Pittsburgh 14%

New York 9%

Philadelphia 8%

Dallas 7%

Link? Why would you make something like this up? It doesn't help you credibility.
BTW: GB fans have never been accused of being the loudest. HTH

Desmond Bishop gets 4 year $19 million extension.Could signal the end to Barnett?Or move him around or not care who is the starter as they have done with Chillar in the past in locking him up.
Rotoworld speculated it could signal an end to Hawk.
Packers signed ILB Desmond Bishop to a four-year, $19 million extension through 2014.Premier NFL inside 'backers typically get $6 million-a-year contracts, so this looks like absolute robbery for GM Ted Thompson. Bishop, 26 and previously slated for 2011 free agency, has been a wrecking machine and averaged nearly nine tackles per game since replacing Nick Barnett in Week 5. Bishop has also racked up three sacks, a 32-yard pick six, and two forced fumbles. The extension likely means that AJ Hawk won't be back next season.

I think Hawk's contract is the stumbling point with him.

I think they get him renegotiated at a better number. He played too well this year to let him go.

Add in that he is younger than Barnett...produced better than him in recent years...and has not missed time (whereas Barnett has missed a good portion of the last 2 seasons with injuries).

And its not as if Barnett's contract is much better than Hawk's. I think he is due 5 mil next year and 6 mil the year after.

They could find a way to keep all 3 (and you can never have enough good backers)...Chillar was basically a backup and got more than Bishop did I believe.

Desmond Bishop gets 4 year $19 million extension.Could signal the end to Barnett?Or move him around or not care who is the starter as they have done with Chillar in the past in locking him up.
Rotoworld speculated it could signal an end to Hawk.
Packers signed ILB Desmond Bishop to a four-year, $19 million extension through 2014.Premier NFL inside 'backers typically get $6 million-a-year contracts, so this looks like absolute robbery for GM Ted Thompson. Bishop, 26 and previously slated for 2011 free agency, has been a wrecking machine and averaged nearly nine tackles per game since replacing Nick Barnett in Week 5. Bishop has also racked up three sacks, a 32-yard pick six, and two forced fumbles. The extension likely means that AJ Hawk won't be back next season.
Rotoworld is purely speculating and has zero insider knowledge on this. Their track record isn't exactly stellar.Barnett, IMO, is more likely than Hawk to be driven by pride and therefore unlikely to stick around at a lower cost. Hawk is old school.....he might be more of a loyalty guy. But that is also pure speculation on my part, so take it for a grain of salt.

I know this is the "in" season thread but, how about letting both Barnett and Hawk walk while breaking the bank for this guy :thumbup: ....

The Elias Sports Bureau has upgraded OLB LaMarr Woodley's half sack to a full sack from Week 17, giving him 10 on the season.

He thus ties James Harrison as the only players in Steelers history to record double-digit sacks in three consecutive seasons. Woodley, who is slated for unrestricted free agency this offseason, also picked off two passes, returned one for a touchdown, forced three fumbles, and recovered two others.
As a U of M fan and a GB fanatic, I know it will never happen but it makes me drool to think about this guy opposite Matthews every week.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/113056249.html

Interesting article on McCarthy.

I still am unsure about the guy with a game on the line, but I don't think at this point he should be let go. I don't think he has done anything to be fired, and I don't think you get rid of a guy if there is not some sure thing out there.

I don't see a sure thing coach out there at this point....and its a good thing the players like, respect, and trust the guy...that is a big reason to keep him.

Just wish he would change a few things about how he runs things on game day.

I still am unsure about the guy with a game on the line, but I don't think at this point he should be let go. I don't think he has done anything to be fired, and I don't think you get rid of a guy if there is not some sure thing out there.

I don't see a sure thing coach out there at this point....and its a good thing the players like, respect, and trust the guy...that is a big reason to keep him.

This continued discussion about whether McCarthy should be fired is absolutely ridiculous at this point. McCarthy has been a huge success and was unquestionably a great hire. The Packers are one of only two teams in the NFC to make the playoffs 3 of the past 4 years (Eagles) and McCarthy's offense has been in the top 10 each of his five seasons with the Packers (Saints being the only other team in the NFL that can claim that). This while leading the team through a post-Favre transition that I think most of us thought could mean a decade or more of dark times as we experienced for 30 years between Starr and Favre. The offense's performance against the Giants two weeks ago - playing against the 7th ranked defense in the NFL with everything on the line - was spectacular. It had been 7 years since the Packers had 515 yards in a game. Both the Packers offense and defense finished in the top 10 this year for the second year in a row. I don't know what his contract status is, but I'd be thrilled if I picked up the paper tomorrow and read that they've extended him another 10 years.

This continued discussion about whether McCarthy should be fired is absolutely ridiculous at this point. McCarthy has been a huge success and was unquestionably a great hire. The Packers are one of only two teams in the NFC to make the playoffs 3 of the past 4 years (Eagles) and McCarthy's offense has been in the top 10 each of his five seasons with the Packers (Saints being the only other team in the NFL that can claim that). This while leading the team through a post-Favre transition that I think most of us thought could mean a decade or more of dark times as we experienced for 30 years between Starr and Favre. The offense's performance against the Giants two weeks ago - playing against the 7th ranked defense in the NFL with everything on the line - was spectacular. It had been 7 years since the Packers had 515 yards in a game. Both the Packers offense and defense finished in the top 10 this year for the second year in a row. I don't know what his contract status is, but I'd be thrilled if I picked up the paper tomorrow and read that they've extended him another 10 years.
Part of it (and this is the case with how I go back and forth on the guy) is just the things he struggles at (or seemingly struggles at) are things that stand out at crucial points in games.That said, the close game stat is one a lot of people use, and while its concerning, it ignores games like the Bears win and Jets win this year. I would call those close games...yet because they were 7 and 9 point wins, they don't count in the close games stat.

There are things about him that concern me, but at this point, not enough to fire him...especially since I can't point to any available coach that just makes me feel any better than McCarthy at this point. (that and bringing in a new HC, you may not keep Capers at DC and that would be a huge mistake to lose him).

CletiusMaximus said:
sho nuff said:

CM, I agree with most of this.The problem I have with McCarthy is that when the game is on the line and real coaching needs to come into play, ie: Replay decisions, aggressive play calls, etc. he goes into a shell. I really want him to step it up and not get out coached at the end of a game, or when the pressure is really on.

I hate the "Play not to lose" mentality.

CletiusMaximus said:
sho nuff said:

CM, I agree with most of this.The problem I have with McCarthy is that when the game is on the line and real coaching needs to come into play, ie: Replay decisions, aggressive play calls, etc. he goes into a shell. I really want him to step it up and not get out coached at the end of a game, or when the pressure is really on.

Rodgers and McCarthy both need to win a playoff game to get to the next level.

CletiusMaximus said:
sho nuff said:

I don't get this. Against NE he called for an onside kick on the opening kickoff. Late in the game he called for a long pass on what? 3rd and 1? 4th and 1? How is this playing "Not to lose"?

I don't get this. Against NE he called for an onside kick on the opening kickoff. Late in the game he called for a long pass on what? 3rd and 1? 4th and 1? How is this playing "Not to lose"?
When the pressure is on, he seems to crack more often than not.On the bolded part, those are the stupid calls I was talking about.

Wow, what a win.

The D making another big stop late to wrap it up.

McCarthy: Who was that guy dressed like him yesterday who committed to the run? Though, I think the real McCarthy snuck back out there on that last 3rd down play where Rodgers was sacked. Looked like every receiver was 15 yards downfield. Where is the short option...the chance even for someone to run after the catch. Also the end of the half clock management I was not happy with. Though, some made a good point that they were getting the ball back in the 2nd half and didn't want to go 3 and out and give them some momentum before the half. I would still have liked a chance for Rodgers to run the 2 minute drill and try something there. Still had a shot at it if Jones would have caught that ball (thought that call on the deep ball was great in going for it).

Capers: Another great performance by that D for much of that game. My only complaint was that Matthews was awful in coverage and they dropped him back several times after getting beat...and they seemed to go towards him whenever he dropped back.

Special Teams: Solid...didn't give up any big returns, kept the return game in check. Solid effort.

Rodgers: Just another solid consistent performance.

Starks: Wow...so much for needing a RB in the first round next year. With Grant coming back, they have a nice 1-2 punch with Starks and Grant...with Jackson as a 3rd down back (looked great on that screen pass and he is a natural 3rd down back). Add in Kuhn in some short yardage situations or to throw to from time to time.

Jones: I hope they do keep him and he can turn this around. He just has so much talent and others have gotten over the drops in their careers before...but someone may overpay him.

Love getting the win...hate the media right away asking Rodgers if he got the monkey off his back. The guy is in his 3rd year starting. Made the playoffs now 2 of the 3 years and is 1-1 in the playoffs. How is losing one playoff game a monkey? Peyton was 0-3 in the postseason before winning in his 5th season as a starter. Its ridiculous and McCarthy even got a bit angry at the question after. Good for him. Players love a coach that will keep sticking up with him. I have criticized him for several things...and his close game management still concerns me...but he has earned his job and will be around for a few more years (to the dismay of several on this board).

So nice to see a quality running game, agree that Grant/Starks will be a nice combo next year. Starks just seems to hit the hole and go...and it's fun to watch.

Hopefully next week there are some holes to run through....the first time we played at Atlanta the Oline got manhandled by Falcons. No running back in the NFL would have put up any yards. That's the key to victory next week. Atlanta is going to get theirs on offense. They'll dink and dunk down the field with the occasional jump ball to Roddy. Turner will get his yards. But if Green Bay can slow it down with some type of running game then they'll have a shot. Green Bay needs to play mistake free football next week. Atlanta will not be as forgiving as Philly.

And again why I like Rodgers so much....

How did it feel to finally win your first playoff game? Well, in all my time being a football fan I have never seen one player win a game all by himself. It is a good team win for us and I will let you guys write what you want on that.

Apparently, ESPN was reporting yesterday that OAK CB Asomugh (sp?) has 2 teams as his preference:Green Bay and the Jets :) :excited:
:lmao: :excited: Please let this come to fruition. He's worth every cent! Collins, Woodson, Williams, and Asomugha. I would assume most teams would forfeit before their planes leave the tarmac.

Apparently, ESPN was reporting yesterday that OAK CB Asomugh (sp?) has 2 teams as his preference:Green Bay and the Jets :shrug: :hot:
:excited: :excited: Please let this come to fruition. He's worth every cent! Collins, Woodson, Williams, and Asomugha. I would assume most teams would forfeit before their planes leave the tarmac.
This is all based on a tweet from David White - a beat writer for the 49'rs who used to cover the Raiders and apparently knows Asomugha well. Apparently he idolizes Charles Woodson and they are friends. I read about it on another board and didn't think there was much substance, but who knows.

Clay Matthews wins Sporting News DPOY. That's two in a row. Of course, those that follow the team know that Ted never picks up free agents or trades draft picks.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2011-...b-clay-matthews
:lmao: Those that follow the team know Thompson likes to trade draft picks. He usually trades down more than he does up and in this case it was magic for TT.If you were looking for sarcasm you might have worded it...."those that follow the the team know that Ted never trades up for a draft pick".

Clay Matthews wins Sporting News DPOY. That's two in a row. Of course, those that follow the team know that Ted never picks up free agents or trades draft picks.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/feed/2011-...b-clay-matthews
:shrug: Those that follow the team know Thompson likes to trade draft picks. He usually trades down more than he does up and in this case it was magic for TT.If you were looking for sarcasm you might have worded it...."those that follow the the team know that Ted never trades up for a draft pick".
True - good point. I don't think its sarcasm as much as I can't resist taking another opportunity to get a dig on any remaining Ted bashers out there, if any still exist. That is getting to be a bit of a dead horse beating now though. I should probably let it go.But I see that this guy is still plugging away --> http://www.firetedthompsonnow.com/ , although his last post had a small hint of a backhanded, begrudging compliment of sorts (after his last chest-thumping celebration over the loss in Detroit).

McGinn said in his chat yesterday that no way would the Packers go after Nnamdi Asomugha. He said they already have too much money invested at CB. Interesting.

I found several of his answers interesting. When asked about Starks not practicing well his answer "we don't get to watch as much of the practices as we once did so I can't say" instead of actually checking with his sources to be able to answer a question like that.

Apparently, ESPN was reporting yesterday that OAK CB Asomugh (sp?) has 2 teams as his preference:Green Bay and the Jets :thumbup: :excited:
:excited: :excited: Please let this come to fruition. He's worth every cent! Collins, Woodson, Williams, and Asomugha. I would assume most teams would forfeit before their planes leave the tarmac.
This is unlikely for a couple of reasons.1. Ted doesnt go after free agents much less top end guys.2. His salary would be high.3. Packers have Woodson, Williams, and Sheilds at corner.4. Packers have to get some players under contract before they start going after more depth.I know people are going to complain about Woodson's age.

It would be great to get Nhamdi....I just don't see the point. If it were a few years from now and Woodson were retiring then maybe. But as of right now, there are no signs pointing to Charles calling it quits anytime soon. So either Woodson, Williams,or Nhamdi would be our nickel back? I don't think so. The money could be better spent in other places. Another OLB would be nice and Woodley may be available.

Don't get me wrong, I think Capers would most definitely find a way to use all 3 of those corners in innovative ways if Nhamdi were to sign. But I don't see GB signing Nhamdi. I don't see them signing Woodley at OLB either.

I see the trend continuing of TT drafting well and rewarding his own guys. And although I'd like a superstar like Nhamdi or Woodley to come in, I'm ok if he doesn't. There's something great about watching these young guys develope. It's nice to see Williams put in the hard work, become a great corner, and get his contract...same for Bishop at ILB.

McGinn said in his chat yesterday that no way would the Packers go after Nnamdi Asomugha. He said they already have too much money invested at CB. Interesting.I found several of his answers interesting. When asked about Starks not practicing well his answer "we don't get to watch as much of the practices as we once did so I can't say" instead of actually checking with his sources to be able to answer a question like that.
It was a live chat, so he can't really check with sources before replying. He could just ignore the question (as he does most of mine), but I think he likes to get a dig in on McCarthy. McGinn often complains of the lack of access he gets under Thompson/McCarthy.

McGinn said in his chat yesterday that no way would the Packers go after Nnamdi Asomugha. He said they already have too much money invested at CB. Interesting.I found several of his answers interesting. When asked about Starks not practicing well his answer "we don't get to watch as much of the practices as we once did so I can't say" instead of actually checking with his sources to be able to answer a question like that.
It was a live chat, so he can't really check with sources before replying. He could just ignore the question (as he does most of mine), but I think he likes to get a dig in on McCarthy. McGinn often complains of the lack of access he gets under Thompson/McCarthy.
I know it was a live chat and it was yesterday. Considering the amount of time this issue has been brought up about Starks/practicing I was disappointed that he didn't have an answer. For someone that covers the team I feel he should have been more prepared.

What a season.

From contenders.

To mash unit.

To NFC Champs.

What a ride and its not over yet.

Got to say, I have praised and questioned McCarthy much of the year. Such a jekyl and hyde feeling with him. But have to give him credit...and the whole staff credit. They worked all year through the injuries and never let it be an excuse. Fought through that penalty ridden game against Chicago in week 3 and turned it around. Fought through the disappointment at Detroit and put the Pack in the Super Bowl.

And those who question Thompson have a ton of crow to eat right now.

Users who are viewing this thread