What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Semi-official Green Bay Packers Super Bowl Champs thread (1 Viewer)

What a season.

From contenders.

To mash unit.

To NFC Champs.

What a ride and its not over yet.

Got to say, I have praised and questioned McCarthy much of the year. Such a jekyl and hyde feeling with him. But have to give him credit...and the whole staff credit. They worked all year through the injuries and never let it be an excuse. Fought through that penalty ridden game against Chicago in week 3 and turned it around. Fought through the disappointment at Detroit and put the Pack in the Super Bowl.

And those who question Thompson have a ton of crow to eat right now.
They won't acknowledge that.

Did you see TT in the locker room after the win? Bradshaw didn't talk to him. He was behind everyone else when they got the trophy. He actually looked as at ease as I've ever witnessed. Usually he looks completely stiff with his cow-eye blank stare.

Did you see TT in the locker room after the win? Bradshaw didn't talk to him. He was behind everyone else when they got the trophy. He actually looked as at ease as I've ever witnessed. Usually he looks completely stiff with his cow-eye blank stare.
Kind of odd they didn't interview him.Heard on 540 ESPN Milwaukee this morning he was later asked a question about the decision to let Favre go and specifically about Favre and he avoided it just saying that everyone should know by now they are not going to talk about that and just wanted to focus on the team as it is now.Glad they handled it that way.

Kind of odd they didn't interview him.Heard on 540 ESPN Milwaukee this morning he was later asked a question about the decision to let Favre go and specifically about Favre and he avoided it just saying that everyone should know by now they are not going to talk about that and just wanted to focus on the team as it is now.Glad they handled it that way.
I love his professionalism. He just gets it.

I think the only thing he doesn't do well is how he interacts with the fans. Granted it is tough to follow a guy like Harlan that answered his own phone but I also think Packer fans are coming to accept that is how TT is.

I think the only thing he doesn't do well is how he interacts with the fans. Granted it is tough to follow a guy like Harlan that answered his own phone but I also think Packer fans are coming to accept that is how TT is.
Yeah...he kind of goes into his shell.His only blemish other than that is how some of the Favre thing went down so publicly and some of his own statements that I took exception too even back then.The guy takes the criticism and lets it roll off his back to do his job.

BeaverCleaver said:
Sabertooth said:
sho nuff said:
scrumptrulescent said:
Ted Thompson did not follow Harlan. Murphy is Harlan's successor. And I have no problem that TT isn't in front of the media all the time. As long as he does his job as a GM I don't need him doing PR. The guy is all business. I heard that Thompson was asked 16 times during interviews about if he feels vindicated about the whole Favre thing and he was absolute class.

I remember laughing at this when McCarthy was hired - thought it was a joke. Now when I read it, my admiration for this coach just continues to grow. This is really an accurate account of how he operates and how he and Thompson have built this great team.

Mike McCarthy’s mission statement“The foundation for the new direction of the Green Bay Packers will be constructed with three key components of obtaining Packer people, creating a stable structure and concentrating on character and chemistry.“A positive environment will be created with leadership that keeps its eye on the target of establishing a championship football team.“The direction will be fueled with constant communication to ensure everyone is on board. We will attack the voyage with energy and enthusiasm to overcome the obstacles that we will encounter.“The vision is enhanced with resources and tradition that stands in the forefront of professional sports organizations.“I am honored and privileged for the opportunity to lead the Green Bay Packers on a new journey back to the pinnacle that bears the name of Coach Lombardi.”

What a season.

From contenders.

To mash unit.

To NFC Champs.

Got to say, I have praised and questioned McCarthy much of the year. Such a jekyl and hyde feeling with him. But have to give him credit...and the whole staff credit. They worked all year through the injuries and never let it be an excuse. Fought through that penalty ridden game against Chicago in week 3 and turned it around. Fought through the disappointment at Detroit and put the Pack in the Super Bowl.

some will

What a season.

From contenders.

To mash unit.

To NFC Champs.

some will
:lmao: I was wrong. Great season Pack. I never thought in a million years this team would overcome the hurdles it has to make it this year. Enjoy the ride fans.

Down to a few hours until kickoff. Although I am nervous, I am more excited than the 90s era. The way the team overcame the injury issues and the coaches (THANK YOU DOM) kept the team focused and just reloaded is just amazing. A buddy of mine forwarded me this video from blackandwhitenews last night. If you haven't seen it, it is a great reminder of where the organization has been and a preview of what could be. Win or lose, this has been a great year and the team/organization should be proud. GO PACK GO!!!!!!

http://packersnews.greenbaypressgazette.co...ays-this-season

Nice article on Hawk who takes a lot of criticism. Paints him about as I would. A solid dependable player.
The past couple of years he was dependable but was criticized for not making plays. He has stepped up this year and made more. Barnett could be odd man out.

What a season.

From contenders.

To mash unit.

To NFC Champs.

some will
:goodposting: I was wrong. Great season Pack. I never thought in a million years this team would overcome the hurdles it has to make it this year. Enjoy the ride fans.
I felt the same way when Barnett and Finley went down. Rodgers and the defense really stepped up.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a season.

From contenders.

To mash unit.

To NFC Champs.

some will
:shrug: I was wrong about TT as well.

The guy is one of the biggest reasons the Packers are where they are today.

:shrug:

What a season.

From contenders.

To mash unit.

To NFC Champs.

Thompson missed on half his picks. He was lucky with Rodgers.

Justin Harrell in the first

Brian Brohm, Brandon Jackson, Daryn College in the 2nd round leaves a lot of room for questioning.

I still question what he has done. He still can't draft a quality NFL left tackle. Unless he does soon Rodgers career may soon be over.

He's been good with WR's and LB'ers but not very good with many other players. Moving up for Matthews was a good move.

This past draft many wanted him to take Burnett in the 2nd and Neal in the 3rd. Instead he did the opposite and then traded a 4th to take Morgan in the 3rd, then didn't have another pick for over 70 picks.

Trading 6th for Grant was a great move and many of his later picks were very good(Desmond Bishop in the 6th) were great moves.

Look into who he took before praising what he did.

What a season.

From contenders.

To mash unit.

To NFC Champs.

Brian Brohm, Brandon Jackson, Daryn College in the 2nd round leaves a lot of room for questioning.

I still question what he has done. He still can't draft a quality NFL left tackle. Unless he does soon Rodgers career may soon be over.

He's been good with WR's and LB'ers but not very good with many other players. Moving up for Matthews was a good move.

This past draft many wanted him to take Burnett in the 2nd and Neal in the 3rd. Instead he did the opposite and then traded a 4th to take Morgan in the 3rd, then didn't have another pick for over 70 picks.

Trading 6th for Grant was a great move and many of his later picks were very good(Desmond Bishop in the 6th) were great moves.

Oh my.

These frikin pundits have 2 weeks to come up with stories when there really aren't many. They try and pace themselves but 2 weeks is just too long.

Wish they go with one week and have the game on earlier(before everyone's drunk) :)

Adding to Thompson. He reaches on a lot of his picks taking guys he likes sometimes 2 rounds before most think they'll go. James Jones is one example of this. That I don't mind but his offensive tackle picks are a real concern.

Bulaga isn't the man. I hope he trades up this year to get a good one. When Clifton retires we can be in big trouble.

I did like when he traded his first rounder to the Jets who took Keller and when he did the same with NE(who took Chad Jackson in the 2nd). He took Finley in the 3rd and Greg Jennings in the 2nd those 2 years.

What a season.

From contenders.

To mash unit.

To NFC Champs.

Oh my.
This is his draft history the first 3 rounds.

Round 1, Pick 23 (23) Bryan Bulaga OT 6'5" 314 Iowa 8.5 6

Round 2, Pick 24 (56) Mike Neal DT 6'3" 294 Purdue 6.4 --

Round 3, Pick 7 (71) (From Browns through Eagles) Morgan Burnett SS 6'1" 209 Georgia Tech 7.6 --

No picks from pick 71-154(due to trade up)

Round 5, Pick 23 (154) Andrew Quarless TE 6'4" 254 Penn State 4.8 --

Rd Sel # Player Position School

1 9 B.J. Raji NT Boston College

1 26 Clay Matthews LB USC(nice trade up)

2008 - Green Bay Packers

2 36 Jordy Nelson WR Kansas State

2 56 Brian Brohm QB Louisville

2 60 Pat Lee CB Auburn

3 91 Jermichael Finley TE Texas

2007 - Green Bay Packers

1 16 Justin Harrell DT Tennessee

2 63 Brandon Jackson RB Nebraska

3 78 James Jones WR San Jose State

3 89 Aaron Rouse SAF Virginia Tech

2006 - Green Bay Packers

1 5 A.J. Hawk OLB Ohio State

2 47 Daryn Colledge G Boise State

2 52 Greg Jennings WR Western Michigan

3 67 Abdul Hodge LB Iowa

3 75 Jason Spitz G Louisville

2005 - Green Bay Packers

1 24 Aaron Rodgers QB California

2 51 Nick Collins FS Bethune-Cookman

2 58 Terrence Murphy WR Texas A&M Shortened career due to health-

Round 3, Pick 7 (71) (From Browns through Eagles) Morgan Burnett SS 6'1" 209 Georgia Tech 7.6 --

2008 - Green Bay Packers

2 60 Pat Lee CB Auburn

2007 - Green Bay Packers

2006 - Green Bay Packers

3 67 Abdul Hodge LB Iowa

2005 - Green Bay Packers

Um....that is a pretty darn good track record. Additionally, he's had pretty good success in late rounds (e.g, Josh Sitton, Desmond Bishop) and with undrafted FAs (e.g., Tramon Williams, Sam Shields). So yeah, TT has missed on draft picks. So has every other GM on earth.

2008 - Green Bay Packers

2 60 Pat Lee CB Auburn

2007 - Green Bay Packers

2006 - Green Bay Packers

3 67 Abdul Hodge LB Iowa

2005 - Green Bay Packers

Um....that is a pretty darn good track record. Additionally, he's had pretty good success in late rounds (e.g, Josh Sitton, Desmond Bishop) and with undrafted FAs (e.g., Tramon Williams, Sam Shields). So yeah, TT has missed on draft picks. So has every other GM on earth.
:hot: 90% of the NFL wishes they could have drafts as good as these.

How anyone can knock him can only be attributed to them still hating on him for getting rid of Favre.

What a season.

From contenders.

To mash unit.

To NFC Champs.

Oh my.

2008 - Green Bay Packers

2 60 Pat Lee CB Auburn

2007 - Green Bay Packers

2006 - Green Bay Packers

3 67 Abdul Hodge LB Iowa

2005 - Green Bay Packers

In the last 4 years they have played in two NFC championship games and they are playing in the Super Bowl today and you still question what he has done. And he was lucky with Rodgers? How so? He was smart enough to draft him when how many other GMs weren't. If Thompson were to suddenly find himself unemployed by the Packers he would be on the streets for all of 5 minutes.

What a season.

From contenders.

To mash unit.

To NFC Champs.

Yeah!!! :goodposting: I wish Mike Sherman was still our GM... I know we'd have a lot more success through the draft and we'd be in much better shape financially with players...

2008 - Green Bay Packers

2 60 Pat Lee CB Auburn

2007 - Green Bay Packers

2006 - Green Bay Packers

3 67 Abdul Hodge LB Iowa

2005 - Green Bay Packers

:goodposting: 90% of the NFL wishes they could have drafts as good as these.

How anyone can knock him can only be attributed to them still hating on him for getting rid of Favre.
But he still hasn't drafted an all pro left tackle yet... i think we should fire him... :goodposting:

2008 - Green Bay Packers

2 60 Pat Lee CB Auburn

2007 - Green Bay Packers

2006 - Green Bay Packers

3 67 Abdul Hodge LB Iowa

2005 - Green Bay Packers

Enough sarcasm... sound reasoning right here. TT isn't perfect, but no GM is. He's damn good though and I'm very happy he's our GM!!!

What a season.

From contenders.

To mash unit.

To NFC Champs.

Yeah!!! :goodposting: I wish Mike Sherman was still our GM... I know we'd have a lot more success through the draft and we'd be in much better shape financially with players...
Bring back Spongepants

Adding to Thompson. He reaches on a lot of his picks taking guys he likes sometimes 2 rounds before most think they'll go. James Jones is one example of this. That I don't mind but his offensive tackle picks are a real concern.
I'll bite. Before who thinks they'll go? Kiper, mock drafts? Entertainment purposes only. No one knows where the actual GMs feel they would take guys. TT takes guys where he thinks he needs to take them.
Bulaga isn't the man. I hope he trades up this year to get a good one. When Clifton retires we can be in big trouble.
You've got that figured out after one year, huh? I think he played quite well being thrown into the fire at RT when Tauscher went down.
I did like when he traded his first rounder to the Jets who took Keller and when he did the same with NE(who took Chad Jackson in the 2nd). He took Finley in the 3rd and Greg Jennings in the 2nd those 2 years.
I believe many called Jennings a reach at the time, and couldn't believe he passed on Jackson, who a lot of "experts" thought was a sure fire stud.

What a season.

From contenders.

To mash unit.

To NFC Champs.

Yeah!!! :confused: I wish Mike Sherman was still our GM... I know we'd have a lot more success through the draft and we'd be in much better shape financially with players...
Bring back Spongepants
I thought he was universally known as the pear shaped loser?

Just a crazy year.

Tell me at the beginning of the year that the Packers would lose Tauscher, Barnett, Finley, and Grant (without saying much about the others they lost) and still make it to the Super Bowl I would have called you crazy.

Tell me before the Super Bowl that they would lose Woodson in the 1st half, lose Driver, and lose Shields for a bit too...and they would win the Lombardi? I would have thought you were on something.

Just a great "TEAM" put together and how they played all year.

Congrats to the Packers and their fans.

Although I root for a different team, I can at least appreciate a team winning it all who had to overcome injuries, and appreciate

a team who seems to have very few knuckleheads on their roster.

Unlike Gene Chizik, enjoy the win. The Packers definitely deserve to be champions this year.

For those of you who may be going to the home opener, just a note that the Green Bay hotels have not yet realized that the Packers will open the season at home on Thursday, Sept. 8, so still have normal pricing for that night. I just booked a room within walking distance of Lambeau for a fraction of the normal cost, and did not have the normal two-night minimum.

For those of you who may be going to the home opener, just a note that the Green Bay hotels have not yet realized that the Packers will open the season at home on Thursday, Sept. 8, so still have normal pricing for that night. I just booked a room within walking distance of Lambeau for a fraction of the normal cost, and did not have the normal two-night minimum.
I predicted yesterday to some coworkers it will be against the Bears! However, with the state of the CBA is it a lock that the opening weekend will be on that date? At least you can cancel with no penalty!! :thumbup:

Nice...hoping its Chicago...nothing better than unfurling a championship banner in front of the Bears.

2008 - Green Bay Packers

2 60 Pat Lee CB Auburn

2007 - Green Bay Packers

2006 - Green Bay Packers

3 67 Abdul Hodge LB Iowa

2005 - Green Bay Packers

Hey look, your list includes every single Packer who did one of the following in the Super Bowl:Passed for a TD

Scored a TD

Intercepted a pass

Forced a fumble

I took the liberty of highlighting them.

Provided they start the season on time. :bowtie:

I apologize if this was already posted but the scuttlebutt is the Packers-Saints will be the Thursday night opener next season.

I have been as hard on Thompson as anyone, I never believed he would be able to get us to a superbowl. I was wrong.

Not only did we win, but we look to be set up to be able to make a few more runs in the coming years.

One thing Thompson did that worked out well if hiring McCarthy as head coach. His last 2 jobs were not successes but he liked how he interviewed. Sean Payton has said he wanted this job, but fortunately Minnesota hired Childress.

Before this year the DB's were not good but really stepped it up this year thanks to coaching and free agents Tramon and Shields.

One thing Thompson did that worked out well if hiring McCarthy as head coach. His last 2 jobs were not successes but he liked how he interviewed. Sean Payton has said he wanted this job, but fortunately Minnesota hired Childress.Before this year the DB's were not good but really stepped it up this year thanks to coaching and free agents Tramon and Shields.
Id say McCarthy was decently successful in New Orleans.

One thing Thompson did that worked out well if hiring McCarthy as head coach. His last 2 jobs were not successes but he liked how he interviewed. Sean Payton has said he wanted this job, but fortunately Minnesota hired Childress.Before this year the DB's were not good but really stepped it up this year thanks to coaching and free agents Tramon and Shields.
McCarthy was a solid OC at the Saints, one has to just look at the numbers. His time with the 49ers was marred with not having a solid talent around him and thus not being able to make it work.DBs not good?? Woodson was MVP and Harris and Williams were solid.

So, does Al Harris get a Super Bowl ring?
Packers have not said when asked about him and Johnny Jolly. I imagine Harris will (PUP list) but Jolly won't. I don't know what the standard practice is.
I don't think there is a standard practice - from what I have read the NFL pays for 150 of them for the team to distribute how they see fit. I think they should send one to DJax for his punt return against the Giants. :shrug: Joking aside, I can definitely see them offering one to Al.

So, does Al Harris get a Super Bowl ring?
Packers have not said when asked about him and Johnny Jolly. I imagine Harris will (PUP list) but Jolly won't. I don't know what the standard practice is.
I don't think there is a standard practice - from what I have read the NFL pays for 150 of them for the team to distribute how they see fit. I think they should send one to DJax for his punt return against the Giants. :thumbup: Joking aside, I can definitely see them offering one to Al.
If the Giants won, the Packers would have tied the Bucs and beaten the Eagles. Would they have lost the tie breaker to the Bucs at that point?

Users who are viewing this thread