What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Severe weather outbreak expected tomorrow Chicago/Cinci Concern (1 Viewer)

This makes my Keenan Allen vs Josh Gordon decision a little easier.
I would say so.

Some of us are stuck with the prospect of Mike Wallace/Rueben Randle instead of Jeffery/Gordon. :X :X

(Was that a cleverly disguised WSIS, or what!)
I don't mind a little bit of it in this forum as long as the people who ask are real contributors, which you are.

It's a tough call because they are both boom or bust. I'd go Wallace though as I think his boom chances are higher. Love Randle in dynasty but he won't be an every week starter until next year when Nicks is gone.

Man I'm not sure if this hurts or helps Gio. I'd imagine it will all be quick/short throws in the wind. Which would favor Gio no?
Any negative effect on the intermediate/deep passing game will benefit the RBs, IMO. Sitting Gio hasn't even crossed my mind.

Thanks for that link. Any Pittsburgh homers have a sense of how bad the weather will be? Trying to decide if I should bench Antonio Brown for Keenan Allen. I'm thinking a little rain shouldn't matter too much, but wind gusts are a different story.

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=of698907

Glad there wasnt a couple threads on this already but here is the latest.

Maybe people should read the forum before the post.
Thanks for the reminder, Officer Penix
Glad there wasnt weren't a couple of threads on this already but here is the latest.

Maybe people should read the forum before they post.

Corrected. You are welcome. Unofficial forum police should always use proper grammar and check their spelling - it is so decreed in the rest of the unwritten forum bylaws.

Here's RotoWorld's take. They don't seem concerned about the weather impacting the Bears' passing game.

The forecast for Sunday's Ravens-Bears game at Soldier Field is currently calling for "possibly severe" afternoon thunderstorms and winds in the 25-35 MPH range.
The chance of rain is 70 percent, and per Weather.com Sunday's storms could "contain damaging winds." It's not cold in Chicago -- it's been in the 50s and 60s Saturday and is expected to be around 65 on Sunday -- but the expectation of strong winds could be a concern for vertical passing. The Bears will play quick-out passing offense as they always do. The Ravens are more of a vertical passing team, so this could be a concern for Torrey Smith.
Related: Ravens

I thought it was gonna be a blizzard, my biggest concern is the lightning and the weather delays. This game could get shoved until Monday or much later in the day if they have a lot of lightning. Rain and 20 MPH winds are OK.

I thought it was gonna be a blizzard, my biggest concern is the lightning and the weather delays. This game could get shoved until Monday or much later in the day if they have a lot of lightning. Rain and 20 MPH winds are OK.
The winds and answer surface could hamper the kicking game, for sure. May be some safer options out there, much as I like Gould.

The think the thing that is getting broomed under the rug a bit here is the torrential downpour possibilities with supercell thunderstorms like they are calling for. Sure it might only get delayed but what kind of condition is the field going to be in and what will the winds be like when the strong low pressure system pushes in behind it?

I don't mind playing players on a rainy/snowy/ even a windy day. This might be something different altogether.

The winds and answer surface could hamper the kicking game, for sure. May be some safer options out there, much as I like Gould.
I guess the weather is similar in Chicago?

What about the DET @ PIT game? I have like 5 guys playing in that game

along with the NYJ @ BUF...still deciding on which one as both D/ST are still on the WW

The think the thing that is getting broomed under the rug a bit here is the torrential downpour possibilities with supercell thunderstorms like they are calling for. Sure it might only get delayed but what kind of condition is the field going to be in and what will the winds be like when the strong low pressure system pushes in behind it?

I don't mind playing players on a rainy/snowy/ even a windy day. This might be something different altogether.
Actually, you need to be worried about damaging winds, hail, and possibly tornadoes if a supercell impacts a stadium. The situation tomorrow at Soldier field is going to be "touch-and-go" as there will be a credible severe weather threat at game time. It's possible that the Cincy game may be over before the severe weather threat ramps up there.

Actually, you need to be worried about damaging winds, hail, and possibly tornadoes if a supercell impacts a stadium. The situation tomorrow at Soldier field is going to be "touch-and-go" as there will be a credible severe weather threat at game time. It's possible that the Cincy game may be over before the severe weather threat ramps up there.
Yep, I live in central Indiana and they have been calling for the storms to hit around 2 PM, so I would imagine by the time they hit the Cincy area the game would be over. You never know though with pop up storms.

not trying to mess with storms at this point in the FF season.

live 7-9 minutes from Heinz Field but my bearings are off from a weekend well spent at State College.

all I hear locally is weather issues with potential for bad winds and circumstances.

welcome to the waiver wire big ben.

-biz-

not trying to mess with storms at this point in the FF season.

live 7-9 minutes from Heinz Field but my bearings are off from a weekend well spent at State College.

all I hear locally is weather issues with potential for bad winds and circumstances.

welcome to the waiver wire big ben.

-biz-
Who ate you dropping him for? I picked him up just for this week

Not calling for super cells in chgo. Wind and rain per the WIND advisory. East and south of chgo is the threat. But wind in Cook throughout day.

Last edited by a moderator:
andyk803 said:
What about the DET @ PIT game? I have like 5 guys playing in that game

along with the NYJ @ BUF...still deciding on which one as both D/ST are still on the WW
I`m going with a gut move here. Things are working against the Detroit passing game this week, Johnson seems to be battling the knee, the Steelers have been very good vs the pass this year other than the Pats game and have been tough at home. It is suppose to rain and be fairly windy in Pittsburgh where Heinz field isn`t known to have the fastest field anyways. The field conditions are likely to take away the Lions speed factor.

I am going to bench Stafford for Brady. I have a feeling that Brady is going to continue to roll now with the fact he is going to have Gronk,Amendola,Dobson and Vereen all on the field at the same time for the first time this year and if the Panthers defense has a vunerability it is the secondary. I have a feeling the Pats are going to unveil their speed offense in full force this week and the weather conditions are suppose to be much better in Carolina.

3 hours west of Chicago and it's pouring rain with thunder/lightning. But the storms seem to be going NE.

Is anyone worried about the weather in the NYJ/Buf game for kickers? I have Folk going today, but I don't really feel like making any more moves for a kicker.

Guys i dont care what anyone else says these are great reports and i really appreciate all of them.....keep em comin
I think some people poo poo them because they can whip out examples of when good players have done great under bad conditions. However I just think it's important to consider all the facts in a given week and if you don't think weather plays an important role in offensive game planning with coaches, you are kidding yourself.

Been searching through the internet for information about NFL QB's and 20 MPH wind effects…not much there (at least for fantasy implications). Found this:

http://www.minitab.com/en-US/training/articles/Minitab-fantasy-football-weather.aspx

Wind gusts seem to be the villain…which, is pretty obvious.

The other villain is over thinking the situation…which I'm 100% guilty of right now. Unless we get some good info on crazy gusts, I'll stand pat on starting personnel (non-kickers) in today's windy weather games..

Of course, I'll probably change my mind in 15 fricken minutes...

Hour west of soldier field and wind gust just blew my over half full damn coffee over. Storms not here yet and now I'll be crabby all day.

My general rule on weather is that it takes something pretty extreme for me to sit position players. I'd much rather have Brandon Marshall in a tornado than, say, Steve Smith anywhere. I am more flexible on kickers, just because they're so interchangeable. For example, earlier this week I dropped Novak for Folk. For now, I'm sticking with Folk, because it doesn't seem like the weather in Buffalo will be as bad as in the Midwest. But I'm definitely keeping tabs on it.

ETA: For others concerned about Folk, here's the current forecast. Looks like showers later in the game, with winds topping out around 20 mph. If that doesn't change, I'll probably stick with him.

Guys i dont care what anyone else says these are great reports and i really appreciate all of them.....keep em comin
I think some people poo poo them because they can whip out examples of when good players have done great under bad conditions. However I just think it's important to consider all the facts in a given week and if you don't think weather plays an important role in offensive game planning with coaches, you are kidding yourself.
I also think that people lump all "bad weather" together.

As noted, some measure of the elements help the offense (snow in moderation, light rain, on and off rain where it's a wet field but mosty dry air). Sometimes great offenses just score anyway. Some conditions favor certain teams but not others (power running team in messy conditions could just overpower a speed oriented defense)...

To me, there are two factors that I really care about. Really strong winds can kill a passing game and kicking game. Torrential Downpours can be a signifiant negative as well. Both combined are a huge red flag.

But we are talking strong winds and/or with a lot of rain... And it's rare that things get THAT bad. The Midwest sounds like it could be one or both of those today so is say this is one of those times we should take notice - marginal passing related players and kickers have to be downgraded IMO. Doesn't mean no one will perform but its an additional risk, for sure.

Chicago

Tornado Watch in effect until 5PM EST SUN/4PM CST SUN

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HAS ISSUED TORNADO WATCH 561 IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 PM CST /5 PM EST/ THIS AFTERNOON FOR THE FOLLOWING AREAS IN ILLINOIS THIS WATCH INCLUDES 18 COUNTIES IN CENTRAL ILLINOIS LIVINGSTON IN EAST CENTRAL ILLINOIS FORD IROQUOIS IN NORTH CENTRAL ILLINOIS BOONE DE KALB LA SALLE LEE OGLE WINNEBAGO IN NORTHEAST ILLINOIS COOK DUPAGE GRUNDY KANE KANKAKEE KENDALL LAKE IL MCHENRY WILL IN INDIANA THIS WATCH INCLUDES 5 COUNTIES IN NORTHWEST INDIANA BENTON JASPER LAKE IN NEWTON PORTER THIS INCLUDES THE CITIES OF

AURORA

BELVIDERE

CHICAGO

DEKALB

DIXON

FOWLER

GARY

JOLIET

KANKAKEE

MOROCCO

MORRIS

OREGON

OSWEGO

OTTAWA

PIPER CITY

PONTIAC

RENSSELAER

ROCKFORD

VALPARAISO

WATSEKA

WAUKEGAN

WHEATON AND WOODSTOCK.

I haven't seen anyone mention this: don't forget the sloppy field conditions at Soldier Field in even moderate rain.

Yea, the entire northern 2/3 of Illinois is under a Tornado Watch. Nothing out there right now but the local weather folks are saying it could light the radar up pretty good over the next few hours

Now it's not just a Tornado watch for Chicago but a PDS watch (Particularly Dangerous Situation). This is the strongest watch issued by the SPC.

So... Excuse my non knowledge on matters like this, at this point, what does it all mean now for Chicago game ?

- weather could be so bad that game is very low scoring = downgrade all players

- weather is so bad that game is delayed until conditions are much better, meaning no players are adversely effected.

- delayed but still starts in high winds and rain. Passing game downgraded.

So... Excuse my non knowledge on matters like this, at this point, what does it all mean now for Chicago game ?

- weather could be so bad that game is very low scoring = downgrade all players

- weather is so bad that game is delayed until conditions are much better, meaning no players are adversely effected.

- delayed but still starts in high winds and rain. Passing game downgraded.
All of those could be possible, IMO.

Benching Torrey Smith for Harvin, but starting Jeffery. Considered benching Cameron for Vernon Davis but think I'll stick with Cameron. He's always a threat in the red zone.

Users who are viewing this thread