What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shark Pool Census - 8.23.21 - How Old Are You? (1 Viewer)

How old are you? 

• Total voters
I'm now 50.

Never thought I would make it that far. 

(and furthermore, im now officially STOPPING having birthdays, so I'll be 50 for the rest of my life)

:football:

Can we do polls where you mark multiple answers?

Unless @Joe Bryant objects I'd be interested in one about what other sources people frequent. For instance, I am also on r/fantasyfootball on the daily because it's the easiest one to scroll on a phone. 

51 and still in the first league I joined way back in 1991.

I’m not surprised at the demographics. I got my son (32) into fantasy football and a bunch of his friends are into it too, but I don’t think they would ever spend any time on a message board like this, with the exception of the Stocks thread I put them on to.

rockaction said:
Fair enough. Maybe I'm just so used to this board that I'm missing it. Flame away, I've got on my flame-retardant suit. 
In my main league -- which was started around 1990 by some high school friends -- about half the teams are now co-owned by dads with their kid(s). (I'm not one because my son has no interest in football.) So people are still getting into season-long FF because of people they know -- they're just not hanging out on boards like this. 

If you want to attract the twenty somethings you’re gonna have to bring back the yoga pants. It’s just good business!
I think they're into the Japanese cartoons now?  Is there one about football or is it mostly school girls with big boobs?  Oh and we all have to do the same dance to the same song.

In my main league -- which was started around 1990 by some high school friends -- about half the teams are now co-owned by dads with their kid(s). (I'm not one because my son has no interest in football.) So people are still getting into season-long FF because of people they know -- they're just not hanging out on boards like this. 
This is how I got into fantasy football, I "co-owned" my dad's team.  Eventually it ended up with me replacing an owner and then branching out to finding a keeper league (which folded when kap started kneeling because of the commish's views) and a dynasty league (still going strong) online. Sadly the original one is no more, although I think a handful of the guys still play in a new league.

Gotta be honest, I really prefer here to reddit (which I use for video games and tittydrop) or other forum adjacent places because I think you guys are a lot more plugged in and have a better idea of what you're saying than anywhere else that isn't straight news.

I'm 45. Only in one redraft league but it's with a mix of family and my son's friends. So our league is made up of my brother and I who are in our 40s, my son who's the commissioner at 21, 7 of his buddies from college and scouts and my nephew and step nephew who are 16/15. 

I was a frequent poster on a different message board back about 15 years ago. Found this place because the format is kinda familiar to me, I like the content and participation model.

Instinctive said:
Can we do polls where you mark multiple answers?

Unless @Joe Bryant objects I'd be interested in one about what other sources people frequent. For instance, I am also on r/fantasyfootball on the daily because it's the easiest one to scroll on a phone. 

Thanks. We try to keep the boards mostly Footballguys. I know you'd be cool but those kinds of threads usually turn into a thing for people using our forums to advertise the sites we compete against. Thanks. 

The first NFL game I saw in person was Dolphins/Jets at Shea Stadium. Joe Namath was injured,on the bench in his fur coat. Al Downing spoke at one of my little league dinners...YEARS before he gave up 715 to Hank Aaron. I'm one of "been playing fantasy football over 30 years" guys. Enjoyed every minute.

47yrs old. My fantasy has slowed a bit over the last few years. Not in multiple yahoo leagues pools etc Down to just 3.

A  12 team dynasty/salary cap/contract league. Handful of us from the start, rhe rest with over 17yrs and 2 rookies (5yrs or less). This league is 27yrs old, started back when we used the newspaper for stats lol. We are all friends, or relatives.

A new 14 team startup dynasty/salary cap/contract league, that mirrors the exisiting one. Only a handful from the orginal league and alot of new blood. 

One yahoo league, been going over 12 years, all guys from high school, most of us played football together, and a few of us played university ball.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am 51.  Amazed that only 13% of the posters are under 40 according to the survey.

Is fantasy football not popular among the younger crowd?

I've posted 3 times in this thread I believe, so here's the last post.

I'm so old that I got hearing aids for the first time today.

I'm hearing every little sound.  Sounds I've never heard before.  Driving down the street I could hear the birds chirping. Ruffling of paper from a distance.   I've been married 24 years and I hope now that I can hear my wife we're not divorced in six months.

I'm due to have surgery on my nose for a severe deviated septum+, the only problem is,  with my new hearing aids,  is that I'll probably hear my nose whistle.  I make sounds I'm not proud of 

I've posted 3 times in this thread I believe, so here's the last post.

I'm so old that I got hearing aids for the first time today.

I'm hearing every little sound.  Sounds I've never heard before.  Driving down the street I could hear the birds chirping. Ruffling of paper from a distance.   I've been married 24 years and I hope now that I can hear my wife we're not divorced in six months.

I'm due to have surgery on my nose for a severe deviated septum+, the only problem is,  with my new hearing aids,  is that I'll probably hear my nose whistle.  I make sounds I'm not proud of 
This reminds me of when I got my first pair of glasses.  Suddenly I could actually /see/.  Didn't know what I was missing out all through my school years.

Enjoy your newly adopted cyborg parts.

This reminds me of when I got my first pair of glasses.  Suddenly I could actually /see/.  Didn't know what I was missing out all through my school years.

Enjoy your newly adopted cyborg parts.
I started wearing glasses when I was 2.  I once went to bed and my grandmother said, take your glasses off.  I said, "mamaw, if I take my glasses off I can't see to sleep"".   I remember as a small child first being able to see the leaves on a tree. 

New Hope?  It was just Star Wars when it came out.  Anyone who labels it as "New Hope" is obviously too young and never saw the original in the theatre.  I did.
JFC I already said I know damn well the name was just Star Wars at the time. I call it A New Hope anyway. I was 3 months old at the time but please call me a liar again. 

I’m not surprised at the demographics.
Me neither.  I mean, take a look at the Politics forum if you want confirmation that there are a ton of old white dudes clogging the boards.

I do wonder what happens to FFL in the next decade or two.  Will it move to a wildly different type of format than what many of us started using 10-20 years ago?  Will it just die off?  The demographics trends don't look promising.

Pretty shocked to find out that I'm in the youngest 13%.   I play in an Empire where I'm the old guy at 38.   I've always feared my leaguemates finding this excellent site.

47 here...got my first taste of fantasy football in 1996 when I finished somewhere between 3rd and 5th (can't remember exactly) and won 2 or 3k in a national salary cap contest I came across in a sports magazine (Sporting News?). There were transaction fees for line-up changes (i.e. $1 a move?) that most people were hesitant to spend money on. I remember thinking this is easy pickens if I just spend a little money on it.

After that I was hooked. I joined my first re-draft league in 1998, won it three years in a row and have had a target on my back ever since. For a number of years, I would write a lengthy post-draft "rate your team" for every team in our league before it was ever a thing on Footballguys. Part of me wishes I had explored that end of things more given how the industry has developed but I'm generally content to be a closet "fantasy expert". It has definitely gotten significantly harder to win consistently but it's just as much fun today as it was then.

40 years old.... first season in Fantasy I drafted Priest Holmes when he broke the Touchdown Record.... Hooked like an addict every since and even became friends with Keenan Allen and Company 

Me neither.  I mean, take a look at the Politics forum if you want confirmation that there are a ton of old white dudes clogging the boards.

I do wonder what happens to FFL in the next decade or two.  Will it move to a wildly different type of format than what many of us started using 10-20 years ago?  Will it just die off?  The demographics trends don't look promising.
What does the race of the "old dudes" have to do with it? just curious

We started a league in college. After we went online. 1998. My first two picks… Barry Sanders and then Randy Moss in his rookie year. 

Why would you care about race?  Clogging?  Really?

How old am I or how old do I feel?  I’m 46 but judging buy how my knees feel I’m 66.   

First year of FF was 1999.  Hand added scores from the Newspaper.  I’m still running that league to this day.  

Old enough to have attended the College All-Star game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_College_All-Star_Game

@Joe Bryant Do these demographics give you cause for concern?  Have you done this for you subscribers?

"Concern" is too strong a word. But I pay close attention. A ton of this is what I already knew. And a lot of the thinking about changing up the monster giant thread structure that made things unwelcoming to new people. It does not surprise me at all that at the forum is mostly older people that have been here forever. I'm not saying it was intentional, but the structure is set that way so new people don't feel nearly as welcome as they would on other formats. That's changing.

When the site started, I wanted something that was for people like me. I was in my mid 30's then. The reality is the site stayed too much for people just like me. Now in my mid 50's. 

The changes started in earnest with a completely new website design. If done right (and I think we did it well) a site can appeal to everyone from 25 to 85. What we had before was way too dated and younger people would look at it and dismiss it out of hand as too much "oldhead" influence. Likely unfair, but reality. Changing that was a big part of what I wanted to accomplish in 2021 and I think we've done well there. 

On the other hand, I LOVE the fact we have so many long time experienced fantasy players here. That's awesome and a huge value to Footballguys. 

Users who are viewing this thread