What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shark Pool mock draft - three rounds. Draft started (2 Viewers)

Andy Dufresne said:
Minnesota. 17. Reggie Smith, S/CB - Oklahoma 47. Donnie Avery, WR - Houston 82. Joe Flacco, QB - Delaware
Would be happy with this + the trade of 3rd rounder for Jason Taylor. The four biggest needs for the Vikings this offseason IMO: DE, WR, S, FBThis draft would help 3 of them if you include Taylor. Plus, Flacco would be a top 10 pick if he played for a big school. Obviously development will take longer, but is a great backup plan if Tarvaris doesn't become the QB of the future.
Had I not made that trade for Taylor I would have taken Flacco with the first 3rd rounder and Brad Cottam with the second. I would have been happy with that as well.

scrumptrulescent said:
As the newest Packer fan to the boards I'd love to hear what other Pack fans think of my draft here.Included a trade down from #30 to #35, adding #69 from Atlanta after all of the top tier DE's and CB's were taken. Later traded up in the 3rd round sending our 3rd and 5th to Seattle for their 3rd. #35 - Erin Henderson, OLB, Maryland - (Not a need but an upgrade over Poppinga imo)#60 - Thomas DeCoud, S, Cal - (Upgrade at the position with a good size, big hitting guy who can play SS/FS or even CB in a pinch. Also, an excellent special teams guy.)#69 - Trevor Laws, DT, Notre Dame - (Quick, non-stop motor, hard-working, high production guy who actually played DE in 2007)#86 - Mike McGlynn, OG/OT, Pitt - (Versatility the key here. Can play all 5 spots on the OL. Projected as an OG in the pros but can fill in for injuries if/when the line takes some hits.)Wanted a stud DE or CB but they were gone. Did my best to fill needs and add upgrades.Opinions? Rants? Stone/rock throwing? :popcorn:
I really liked the trade you made. Moving down 5 spots and picking up an early 3rd was a great move. With pick #35 I might have gone with Antoine Cason since I see it as a bigger need. Henderson isn't a bad pick though. I liked the DeCoud pick at #60. DB depth/ST player is always nice, and he has the talent to work his way into a starting S role. I'm not a big fan of Trevor Laws, but I also haven't spent much time looking into the DTs yet. It is nice to have solid depth at the DL positions. I might have considered Martin Rucker there. I'll never argue with OL guys so the McGlynn pick works for me.
Cason vs Henderson was a big debate for me at #35. You're probably right. I thought at the time that Henderson was maybe more of an elite talent while I didn't see Cason as much of a step above guys like Godfrey from Iowa, Porter from Indiana, or King from Penn St and I was hoping one of them would drop to me at #60. Cason, McCoud, Laws and McGlynn would have looked good too and probably served our needs better. Thanks.

Andy Dufresne said:
Patriots - Earl Bennett, WR - VanderbiltThey'll likely lose Stallworth and Moss won't be around forever. And I'll admit - I wanted Bennett to sneak into the first three rounds.
I like Bennett a lot as he was super productive against great competition on a bad Vandy team............ .................. but do not think the Pats will go WR this early because of investing in Chad Jackson already.I will add who I would have picked as well as the draft recap for New England tomottow am.... got V Day plans going on.
After researching further (I was super busy at work and didn't have time to plan things out as much as I'd like), I would have taken Bennett for Philly's pick earlier in the round. I didn't know he was such a good return guy before I read up on him a little more last night.....

Andy Dufresne said:
Patriots - Earl Bennett, WR - VanderbiltThey'll likely lose Stallworth and Moss won't be around forever. And I'll admit - I wanted Bennett to sneak into the first three rounds.
I like Bennett a lot as he was super productive against great competition on a bad Vandy team............ .................. but do not think the Pats will go WR this early because of investing in Chad Jackson already.I will add who I would have picked as well as the draft recap for New England tomottow am.... got V Day plans going on.
After researching further (I was super busy at work and didn't have time to plan things out as much as I'd like), I would have taken Bennett for Philly's pick earlier in the round. I didn't know he was such a good return guy before I read up on him a little more last night.....
I actually thought that as well when you took Bowman as well. Bowman was great in college but reminds me of Reggie Brown in his skill set. Might not be a good thing.Bennett would have been a better compliment to Brown/Curtis IMO.

Chicago

14. Jeff Otah, OT - Pitt

22. Brian Brohm, QB - Louisville

75. Jonathan Hefney, FS - Tennessee

90. Lavelle Hawkins, WR - Cal
Looking at Baca's Mock, I think Chicago did well. 5. Kansas City Chiefs (4-12) (coin flip) - Jeff Otah OT, Pittsburgh

The Chiefs hired Chan Gailey to run their offense so you can expect them to focus on the offense early in the draft, in particular a line that yielded 55 sacks last season and only had 3.3 yards/rush. They had some success with Brodie Croyle but I am not sure they are sold on him yet, after all he was given a real chance in last years training camp and was beat out. They may be looking to replace Damien McIntosh as well. Chuck Cook (Director of College Scouting) said " "Everybody knows we're focusing on the offensive line and the cornerback situations, but we'd like to get another power wide receiver, a guy who we can go get it to help Bowe out." Look for the Chiefs to find that WR in the early rounds and perhaps look ILB in the middle rounds.

14. Chicago Bears (7-9) - Brian Brohm, QB, Louisville

The Bears have a lot of needs and the list could get longer after free agency. They need an offensive tackle if they are going to get the running game started, they need a franchise quarterback A.S.A.P. and they need some help at safety. That is the short list if Briggs stays, if he's gone the list, as I said, gets even longer. I thinks the bears need to be very active in free agency this year and they should only take a QB in the first round if one of the top guys falls to them which is the case in this version. There are many Bears fans who believe they need a guard but Beekman is a stud and it's only a short time before he shows it to the fans of Chicago.

I would like to see Baca go out further, but rankings:

S:

1 Jonathan Hefney Tennessee 5-10/185

WR:

7 Lavelle Hawkins Cal 5-11/185 Courage, balance and versatility, the more film I watch on Lavelle the more he impresses. He has incredible concentration in crowds and is fearless so I will wait for the numbers to come in on him but he will certainly be rising in the rankings.

If Da Bears managed the #5 and 14 players, along with a top S and top 10 WR, the fans will be thrilled.

interested in any Jet fans review of my picks - posted this on the JEts board and it was met with less than enthusiastic review! Most like the 2nd rd pick but do no like Ellis and Rice - .

interested in any Jet fans review of my picks - posted this on the JEts board and it was met with less than enthusiastic review! Most like the 2nd rd pick but do no like Ellis and Rice - .
They like Sweed but don't like Ellis, Rice, and Rachal? Then those Jets fans are idiots.I for one think that Limas Sweed will be a bust.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some tallies by position and round

DE's: Round 1 5, Round 2 3, Round 3 3 = 11

RB's 3,2,3 = 8

WR's 1,8,4 = 13

DT's 3,1,6 = 10

OT's 6,0,4 = 10

OG's 1,0,3 = 4

CB's 5,6,2 = 13

S's 2,2,1 = 5

QB's 2,2,1 = 5

LB's 3,6,3 = 12

TE's 0,2,2 = 4

You were left with an interesting decision at 6.. I think at this point and before the combine everyone thought for sure Gholston would be the "Fall back" option and would safely be available... Now with the injury news on Dorsey and Gholston looking like a Super Hero things are changing... You might not even have Ellis as a choice... We really might have to start to look at this draft and wonder who to pick if Ellis and Dorsey aren't a fit or healthy and Gholston is gone??? What if Mcfadden is the one who falls? I'd take either Long, not sure about Mcfadden or the need for RB at all. What if ALL are gone? Ryan? Then I think there's about a half dozen OL that most Jets fans think they MUST draft one of - And just an observation but, it seems to me like when we do drafts like this, fans seem to pick OL more than the actual NFL draft... To me, I think a lot of teams are foolish every year in bypassing the OL prospects. This mock has 7 of the top OL guys gone by the Jets 2nd pick where I think a lot of fans have one of those top OL penciled in at that spot..... I wonder if all the OL will actually go so fast.Another factor is the dreaded DT position. My opinion has been that Mangini's career could depend on finding "That Guy".... It's hard for any of us to tell but, Where would Ellis play in this defense? And then there seems to be 2 maybe 3 guys that "Might" be able to fit that bill - Okam and Rubin - Maybe Bryant???? IF this staff thinks any of those guys can play 3-4 NT and well, they need to pretty much do whatever it takes to get him..I'd also bet that Jets fans think they could get more for Vilma and they probably feel ok at this point at RB compared to the desperation at OL. That's where I am, I'd rather nab a 2nd OL at this point than one of the RB's.... We really have 3 spots to fill on that line and the FA's are drying up.I'd like to see Coles locked up and Bryant Johnson added then maybe:GholstonCherlilus or AlbertRubinOf course, that wouldn't fly in this mock.

Another factor is the dreaded DT position. My opinion has been that Mangini's career could depend on finding "That Guy".... It's hard for any of us to tell but, Where would Ellis play in this defense? And then there seems to be 2 maybe 3 guys that "Might" be able to fit that bill - Okam and Rubin - Maybe Bryant???? IF this staff thinks any of those guys can play 3-4 NT and well, they need to pretty much do whatever it takes to get him..
I think that sums it up. Trying to run the 3-4 without a good NT is extremely difficult and you aren't likely to get good results. Those NT's are probably the hardest player to find; you can always find a quick, fast corner, pocket passers come out all the time (not all can read a D, but they're physically there), but a NT with the physical dimensions are rare and those with the athleticism to be successful are even rarer - and then they have to work on technique.

You were left with an interesting decision at 6.. I think at this point and before the combine everyone thought for sure Gholston would be the "Fall back" option and would safely be available... Now with the injury news on Dorsey and Gholston looking like a Super Hero things are changing... You might not even have Ellis as a choice... We really might have to start to look at this draft and wonder who to pick if Ellis and Dorsey aren't a fit or healthy and Gholston is gone??? What if Mcfadden is the one who falls? I'd take either Long, not sure about Mcfadden or the need for RB at all. What if ALL are gone? Ryan? Then I think there's about a half dozen OL that most Jets fans think they MUST draft one of - And just an observation but, it seems to me like when we do drafts like this, fans seem to pick OL more than the actual NFL draft... To me, I think a lot of teams are foolish every year in bypassing the OL prospects. This mock has 7 of the top OL guys gone by the Jets 2nd pick where I think a lot of fans have one of those top OL penciled in at that spot..... I wonder if all the OL will actually go so fast.Another factor is the dreaded DT position. My opinion has been that Mangini's career could depend on finding "That Guy".... It's hard for any of us to tell but, Where would Ellis play in this defense? And then there seems to be 2 maybe 3 guys that "Might" be able to fit that bill - Okam and Rubin - Maybe Bryant???? IF this staff thinks any of those guys can play 3-4 NT and well, they need to pretty much do whatever it takes to get him..I'd also bet that Jets fans think they could get more for Vilma and they probably feel ok at this point at RB compared to the desperation at OL. That's where I am, I'd rather nab a 2nd OL at this point than one of the RB's.... We really have 3 spots to fill on that line and the FA's are drying up.I'd like to see Coles locked up and Bryant Johnson added then maybe:GholstonCherlilus or AlbertRubinOf course, that wouldn't fly in this mock.
Great post! I agree that I was shocked when Gholston was taken so high - now it doesn't look so crazy! I figured I would get one of the Longs, DMC or Gholston - when they all went it was no man's land. Good news is I think Atlanta will be forced to take Ryan at #3 assuming he has a great workout - they can't sell their fans on the QBs on the roster and no decent ones are in FA. With Ryan going at #3 one of those guys will fall to the Jets.I disagree on Coles - I'd rather lose a guy a year early than a year late - the signs are screaming that Coles is breaking down. If he wants another big time contract I deal him off and use the $ on Johnson and draft a WR in the 1st 3 rds. Jet offseason is going to be interesting - I hope the can get something for D Rob and Vilma since its just not a good fit but they still have some value. Not sure why they didn't pursue a vilma for Rogers swap - they are dying for a real NT and it seemed like a great fit for both squads. Without that NT Jets D will never get over the top.Finally the OL! I am reading they will go all out for Fanacea which I like - he would be a huge upgrade, bring leadership and help Brick develop (maybe take him out for some steaks!) - Not sure what RTs are out there but I can see them make the splash at G, sign a serviceable RT while drafting the long term solution in the 2nd or 3rd rd. You could see huge players on the team be dealt - Chad, D Rob, Vilma, Coles - and I would not shed a tear for any of them - we stunk last year with them - no one is irreplaceable.

Minnesota. 17. Reggie Smith, S/CB - Oklahoma 47. Donnie Avery, WR - Houston 82. Joe Flacco, QB - Delaware
Would be happy with this + the trade of 3rd rounder for Jason Taylor. The four biggest needs for the Vikings this offseason IMO: DE, WR, S, FBThis draft would help 3 of them if you include Taylor. Plus, Flacco would be a top 10 pick if he played for a big school. Obviously development will take longer, but is a great backup plan if Tarvaris doesn't become the QB of the future.
Had I not made that trade for Taylor I would have taken Flacco with the first 3rd rounder and Brad Cottam with the second. I would have been happy with that as well.
Flacco = STEAL

Flacco = STEAL
Andy, thanks for doing this thread. It was a lot of fun, and was time consuming (which is a good thing when I am stuck at work).

Miami1. Chris Long, DE - Virginia Needed another DE for the 3-4... no one else at the top of the draft fit the scheme. + he's a stud.37. Chad Henne - QB - Michigan Beck isn't the guy, need to get someone that had the tools. I miss Marino.57. Justin King, CB - Penn St I doubt he'll be here after the combine. We need a corner in the worst way and he could be special with some coaching.64. Anthony Collins, OT - Kansas Going to be a great LT after some grooming... out O line is horrible.73. Joseph Red Bryant - NT - Texas A&M Massive NT for the 3-4... doubt he'll be available at this spot.It was easy to fill needs because we have them almost everywhere. I think I got steals with the last two picks. Definately need some LB help too, but you only have so many draft picks. I'm guessing that they'll fill WR and S needs through FA.
nice job kirby...I didn't like the henne pick at first but it makes sense. Justin King just ran a 4.31 at the combine. Sounds like people have been sleeping on him but he just made himself known...And yeah, you got steals with the last two picks. We'll see what happens with Jason Taylor in real life. and for the love of god, I really hope the Phins can trade out of that number 1 spot.

Users who are viewing this thread