What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shawne Merriman contract (1 Viewer)

Harry Beanbag

Sausage King of Chicago
Anyone have the details on the Shawne Merriman contract that was just signed.

Chargers website only says he signed and the contract negotiations were cordial with AJ Smith and Kevin Poston. ANyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

I'm gonna guess...5 Years $22-25 million, $7-$9 million in signing bonus.1st year: 1 Million2nd year 2 million3rd year 3 million4th year 4 million5th year 5 millionJust a guess. Could be way off!

Anyone have the details on the Shawne Merriman contract that was just signed.

Chargers website only says he signed and the contract negotiations were cordial with AJ Smith and Kevin Poston. ANyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-c...ov=ap&type=lgns
Merriman's contract is potentially worth $15.73 million, of which $9 million is guaranteed. The deal was structured so he'll get an early roster bonus of $1,244,000 rather than a signing bonus. He'll get an option bonus of $6.35 million, payable over the second, third and fourth years of the deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still think it was brain-dead on both sides that they couldn't agree on some injury-protection language to get Merriman into the mini-camps.

But congrats to both parties on getting the contract done relatively early.

Merriman is a good deal behind, having missed two mini-camps and a week of training camp. So it's likely that he'll be used only as a situational rusher this season, not a starter at OLB. It's possible he could work his way into the starting lineup in the second half of the season.

I still think it was brain-dead on both sides that they couldn't agree on some injury-protection language to get Merriman into the mini-camps.

Merriman is a good deal behind, having missed two mini-camps and a week of training camp. So it's likely that he'll be used only as a situational rusher this season, not a starter at OLB. It's possible he could work his way into the starting lineup in the second half of the season.
I disagree to some extent. I don't see him being out of the picture as a starter but he will get immediate time to sack the QB...I would think not just 1st down but also 2nd and 10's or longer...I see him wrecking havoc even though he has been a bit of a wuss...he was awesome at Maryland.

Really? We're still over 5 weeks from the season opener - and he's only missed 4 days of TC, and only 2 days with pads (I think they put on pads Sun). I'm hoping that he proves to be so dominant physically that Phillips can't keep him off the field.Where's the optimism, bro? :D

Well, he was a DE in college, and wasn't asked to drop into coverage very often. I think it'll take some time for him to become a complete OLB.He should play in passing situations as a designated rusher from day one. But I wouldn't expect to see him take on a full slate of linebacking duties until maybe the second half of the season. Anything is possible, but he's got an uphill battle to start the opening week.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a little suprised they were able to agree on a deal this early. Good job to AJ and the Postons. Now lets get Gates signed to a long term deal.

Well, he was a DE in college, and wasn't asked to drop into coverage very often. I think it'll take some time for him to become a complete OLB.

He should play in passing situations as a designated rusher from day one. But I wouldn't expect to see him take on a full slate of linebacking duties until maybe the second half of the season. Anything is possible, but he's got an uphill battle to start the opening week.
Like Phillips? It's not like he has someone like Peter Boulware to beat out. I agree he may not start week 1, but it won't be very long before his talent shows itself.

I didn't want to start a whole thread on this, but I thought it was worth posting.Merriman's "Lights Out" tattoo

SHAWNE MERRIMANChargers LBMerriman was nicknamed Lights Out after knocking out four players while in high school in Maryland. When he delivers a big hit, he pretends to flip the switch on his right forearm. "I always thought of myself as an entertainer," he says. "If you don't love hitting people -- you don't love football."

FWIW, I heard on Cold Pizza this morning that Merriman is studying MMA (mixed martial arts), not sure which one, to work on his quickness and is down from 14% body fat last year to 9% now.

Users who are viewing this thread