What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shonn Green vs Brandon Jackson (1 Viewer)

plyka

Footballguy
It is tough when people talk about players since we all play in different type leagues. Just saying that a player is a great pickup doesn't tell us much. Some play in 16 team leagues where Kareem Huggins is a steal off the waivers, while others play in 10 team leagues where you can find Donald Brown on the FA list. However, what everyone can relate to, despite league size and depth, is relative evaluations. So, who would you rather have and why, Shonn Green or Brandon Jackson for the rest of the year and beyond? League specifics are, PPR league, keeper league where you can keep 6-7 players.

Here is my take:

Shonn Green is perhaps the more talented back. And i would actually consider him "safer," in the sense that we know the situation and what we have. He has far more competition for his job, however, as Brandon Jackson is by his lonesome, while Green has a hall of famer who is past his prime, but healthy again, on his back. This is a PPR, so Jackson gets the advantage there. The jets are a much more running oriented team, so Green gets the advantage there.

So, talent wise:

Green over Jackson

Situation wise:

Push, but leaning toward Greene due to the amount of running the jets will do.

Competition wise:

Jackson over Green

"safer" pick:

Green

I would still take Green over Jackson, but it is rather close in my eyes. I think Jackson, despite not having all the talent in the world, can break through. I would put them in the same tier.

Tier 1: Chris Johnson, ADP, Rice, MJD, Gore...wait for it, and YES FOSTER!

Tier 2: Sjax, Deangelo, Mendy, etc, etc

tier 3: Stewart, Forte, Beenie, etc etc etc ---this is where Jackson and Green both currently reside in my opinion.

Edit: oh yeah, full disclaimer, someone just offered me Green for Jackson in my league and am debating whether i should do it. I also have Tomlinson, so that makes green more valuable to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greene? Really? Out of all the RBs drafted in the first few rounds I think he has the absolute worst situation with LT in town.

I'd rather have Jackson.

wait a second,

Both you guys would rather have Jackson, despite this being a keeper league? Wow, Shonn's value has certainly crashed back down to earth, lol. I guess i'm just not that high on Jackson. I would rather have Green.

wait a second,
excellent idea.I think the attitude toward both these players could be drastically different on Monday than they are right now.
Yeah, but I have no idea what the attitude is NOW, lol. I thought that people had come down on Green and obviously went way up on Jackson, but i had no idea that Jackson had actually overtaken Green in some people's eyes! Green was a 2nd round pick in a 12 team draft. Jackson, you would have to say is probably a 4th to 6th round pick at best, or at least that's what i thought. From some of the reactions on this board, if there was a redraft, you would think that Jackson may go in the 3rd-4th, while Green would go in the same area.

So basically this is a assistant coach thread in disguise?

Oh wait ---- forgot to say wait a second first.

So basically this is a assistant coach thread in disguise?Oh wait ---- forgot to say wait a second first.
Wait a second,Mr. Moderator, this is a comparison thread. I want to know where their relative values lie. That is all. I added the last bit about someone offering me Green for Jackson to give more information on how different people are valuing these two. Believe me, i would never actually use another individual's opinion in trades with my own team. That makes ZERO sense to me. I would like to know, however, how people are valuing these two. Who do they think is better, who will perform better for the rest of the year, etc.Wait a second...wait wait wait...wait a second...

It's absolutely amazing the difference 1 week can make. Brandon Jackson over Shonn Greene?

This thread would have been laughed at 1 week ago nevermind a month ago where Shonn Greene owners were predicting 1500 yards and 10 TD's.

Who's better? I mean, who knows for sure. Shonn Greene was definately overrated heading into this year and Brandon Jackson is a backup to an average RB in Grant on a good team. I never thought Grant was much better than Jackson to begin with.

I think Greene will improve off of last week.......they faced the Ravens who are tradionally very tough against the run, especially when there's no threat to pass the ball in Sanchez. To me, that's where his problem lies as Jackson has A. Rodgers under center to scare the hell out of opposing defenses.

There are better days ahead for Shonn Greene, I don't look for him to go off against New England either but should be a little more productive than what we saw last week. Jackson should be a solid contributor as long as he stays healthy on a high scoring team that gets to feast on the Lions and Bears twice coming up as well.

I like his situation as much as the next guy, but what exactly has Brandon Jackson done against starting NFL defenses and/or in real games? If you take out a couple of nice games against Detroit, he's done very little. The last time he was a starting RB the Packers made a trade for Grant who eventually took his job.

I'll be pretty surprised if the Packers don't make a move for another RB since they have Superbowl aspirations. My take, and this is purely my opinion, is that Jackson did enough in the preseason for the Packers management to give it a week or two to see how he performs as the starting RB. This helps them evaluate if they just need RB depth or need to make a trade for a potential starter at the position (e.g. Lynch...I know the Bills are saying he's not available, but that makes no sense to me...maybe it it's because those two teams play this week?).

So, Jackson was a no-brainer pick-up on the WW, but I'd trade him for Green in a second. This is the epitome of buying low and selling high. Things went as bad as they could have for Green this week while I doubt Brandon Jackson's value will ever be higher. Once he hits the field people are going to remember he's a pretty average NFL talent. He could end up in more of a committee than people were expecting or get yanked at the goal line, or the Packers may trade for someone to compete with him next week. His situation may make him fantasy gold, but the Jets need Green to win while the Packers just need RBs to keep defenses honest.

"The last time he was a starting RB the Packers made a trade for Grant who eventually took his job. "

that was literally his rookie year. Does the guy seriously have to carry a stigma his whole career because he wasn't ready out of the box?

He looked good in the eagles game. Shocking fact brandon jackson is actually younger than shonn greene as well. Neither of these players are special but brandon jackson has a much better chance of getting a ton of carries on a team that will be an offensive powerhouse for a minimum of a few seasons. The jets offense on the other hand...

plyka said:
I also have Tomlinson, so that makes green more valuable to me.
That makes it a no-brainer imo. Dynasty league also. I've got Green myself and was going after BJ on the wire this week, but not sure about keeping him in a limited roster league placed him at second priority and missed out. Would not have dropped Green for him as I still feel he's (potentially) solid second tier depending on LT.

In PPR I think Jackson has the advantage...he'll catch out of the backfield. He's also in a better offense (admittedly I'm a homer, but I don't think anyone would dispute this...especially PPR). Kuhn may vulture some TD's but is most likely not going to run in between the 20 yard lines. LT will spell Greene often, even in the between the 20s. I've also heard that Greene is not the receiver out of the backfield you would want in a PPR back.

"The last time he was a starting RB the Packers made a trade for Grant who eventually took his job. "

that was literally his rookie year. Does the guy seriously have to carry a stigma his whole career because he wasn't ready out of the box?
Well, given that RBs are usually the most fantasy-ready of the rookie positions, it's definitely part of the overall picture. He's had 3 seasons to show something and has thus far shown himself to be a backup RB. He does show flashes at times, so maybe the this is the magical moment where an opportunity combines with him finally 'getting it,' but I'm just trying to bring some levity to the discussion.Again, Jackson was a must-add this week. He could be the pick-up of the fantasy year, but to immediately assume that Jackson > Green going forward when one had a worst-case scenario v. a tough D and the other has yet to show he's a starting-caliber RB is the epitome of overreacting to one week.

This is the classic 'new shiny thing' feels way more exciting than known commodities (especially ones coming off a bad week) scenario. I love to take advantage of that in trades when I can because more often than not the 'new shiny thing' doesn't pan out in the long run. Because of the whole week to talk & think about last week's games, situations that are actually very fluid have a tendency to feel permanent. The Jackson situation may feel very different as soon as tomorrow. Looking at the Packers roster, I have a hard time believing that Jackson won't have some company at RB very soon. Whether that's a backup, a complimentary back or someone that can beat him out to be the starter remains to be seen.

It's very likely Jackson has a great week coming up and Greene does not. It will "prove" to some that jax is the man, all it will prove to me is that overreaction is in full effect. If you're that impulsive and wonder why you're always pulling up the rear in your leagues then take a moment to reflect on this thread with an open mind.

why are you so confident than the shonne green situation is permanent? I've just never been very impressed by the guy, and the only good argument for him was his incredible situation which doesn't exist ever since they brought LT in.

why are you so confident than the shonne green situation is permanent? I've just never been very impressed by the guy, and the only good argument for him was his incredible situation which doesn't exist ever since they brought LT in.
For me it's the bolded part, I have been very impressed by him at Iowa and now last season. I get that you aren't impressed, I can't understand how some are impressed with LeSean McCoy for example.

The OP talks about PPR league rules. Even with Grant, Jackson was getting carries and passes. GB has never been enamored with Grant's receiving skills. As I understand it, that's the same reason the Jets picked up LT...catching the ball out of the backfield. In a PPR league, that's pretty important.

Well, everyone calling Brandon Jackson average had me thinking that a few years back people were saying the same type of thing about Grant until he blew up and became a top 30 pick for the next couple of years. I dont want to compare Jackson directly to any other RB, but this situation has come up before in fantasy football and we've seen guys like Grant and Pierre Thomas make a name for themselves, both of whom were or are just average backs. I never thought Rudi Johnson was anything special, yet he had a fine fantasy football career. I would not trade Green for Brandon Jackson. But I dont think Green is that special either. As someone said they never liked McCoy, but I think McCoy is much more talented than both Green and Jackson, that doesn't mean he will have a better career. What Jackson does with this opportunity will decide a lot of things, but right now I don't think I could decide who I'd rather have really, all though with perceived value Greene is probably the better trade chip. The Greene hype was too much this year and I think he was ranked way too high, especially after the LT signing. I don't see any reason why Jackson cant have a nice starting career if he takes a hold of this chance. More than talent, the will to succeed will determine his career. He obviously has enough talent to be an NFL RB, and usually, that's all you need to succeed if you can bring yourself to play hard enough and smart enough.

Greene's the best offensive weapon on the team and option #1. Jackson is the team's (at best) 4th best offensive player. I'll take Greene. I'm predicting a "How cheaply were you able to steal Shonn Greene" thread in the next 1-2 weeks.

Greene's the best offensive weapon on the team and option #1. Jackson is the team's (at best) 4th best offensive player. I'll take Greene. I'm predicting a "How cheaply were you able to steal Shonn Greene" thread in the next 1-2 weeks.
I have not seen anything to show that Greene is the best offensive weapon on the Jets. Honestly, I think that role belongs to LT. Even then though, Holmes might even be a better weapon ultimately. The Jets are certainly not loaded with offensive weapons though. So even if he was the best that doesn't mean he's that good. But LT is still the more talented player and runner.

Greene >>>>>>>>>>>> BJax,

Remember the Jets don't face the Ravens every week, remember that LT is one good hit from the glue factory, remember Santonio Holmes comes back after a 4 wk suspension. BJax might not even be the primary RB at season's end.

Greene >>>>>>>>>>>> BJax,Remember the Jets don't face the Ravens every week, remember that LT is one good hit from the glue factory, remember Santonio Holmes comes back after a 4 wk suspension. BJax might not even be the primary RB at season's end.
This assumed talent by Greene simply has not been evident aside from maybe a couple of games last season. When Thomas Jones was still their best RB. And if LT plays all season and does not head off to the glue factory? What then? That is wayyyyyyy tooo mannnnyyyyy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. I hope Greene turns out better than Lendale White, but nothing really, aside from assumptions on the part of fantasy prospectors, says otherwise. And im not saying Greene one day wont be amazing, but to say it like it is a sure thing is just ridiculous.

Greene >>>>>>>>>>>> BJax,Remember the Jets don't face the Ravens every week, remember that LT is one good hit from the glue factory, remember Santonio Holmes comes back after a 4 wk suspension. BJax might not even be the primary RB at season's end.
This assumed talent by Greene simply has not been evident aside from maybe a couple of games last season. When Thomas Jones was still their best RB. And if LT plays all season and does not head off to the glue factory? What then? That is wayyyyyyy tooo mannnnyyyyy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>. I hope Greene turns out better than Lendale White, but nothing really, aside from assumptions on the part of fantasy prospectors, says otherwise. And im not saying Greene one day wont be amazing, but to say it like it is a sure thing is just ridiculous.
Great post. sums it up nicely. Somehow greene is assumed to be a stud and jackson assumed to be a poor player. Nothing that has happened warrants either of these opinions.

Great post. sums it up nicely. Somehow greene is assumed to be a stud and jackson assumed to be a poor player. Nothing that has happened warrants either of these opinions.
And the playoffs last year? When has bj ever looked as good as that? And jones was not the best runner at that point, not even close.

And the playoffs last year? When has bj ever looked as good as that? And jones was not the best runner at that point, not even close.
No, BJ hasnt, but that doesnt mean he wont. We really havnt seen a whole ton of BJ. Honestly, I think we have seen more of Greene to this point in both their careers. So there is more unknown with BJ and what he can do in this roll. I disagree with you though, Greene had better games, but I would still consider Jones the better RB at the time. Given the fact that you have a big Jets logo on your posts, I understand where you are coming from a little better. But please try to remove those Jet green sunglasses for a minute.

Greene is more like Ryan Grant than BJax. Bigger, with higher top end speed.

Jackson has better hands and is a more fluid receiver than both. Much better than Greene. He had already won over the 3rd down duties from Grant and even vultured Grant a few times last season in this way by taking a piece of the Green Bay RB receptions pie.

Now the overall pie is up for grabs. There is a big time TD vulture in Kuhn, but he won't vulture them all.

IF Brandon Jackson becomes a 3-down starter and receiving option in this offese, look for him to far eclipse Shonne Greene this season, even though Greene is a soild talent in a great situation too. But the "if" is capitalized for a reason. He has a lot to prove. You might say the same about Greene in this regard.

Receiving RBs in top offenses are the way to championships.

this thread made me think i should offer bjax for shonne greene. then i realized i didnt want to be the ####### that offers lame lopsided trades.

Just thought I would add this as well.

In his 4 year career Jackson's totals are : Rushing - 175 attempts /689 yards /3.9 yardsperatt/4 TDs Rec - 69 rec/514yds/1td

In his 1 season and 1 game Greene's totals are: Rushing 113/558/4.9/2 Rec - 1/9/0

Considering Jackson was mostly a situational runner, has 3 years more experience, and is 2 months younger than Greene, I would not think from these statistics that Greene is the FAR superior player. If you want to stress that he averages 1 yard more per carry over BJ, that's fine, but when you factor in BJs catching ability I think it's a lot closer than many would like to admit. If Greene is such a superior talent then where is the big difference production?

another person who hasn't seen Jackson play. There is really nothing dynamic about his play. He will gain some positive yardage, has really good hands, and is great in blitz pickup. He isn't overly fast and definitely doesn't play fast.

The OP talks about PPR league rules. Even with Grant, Jackson was getting carries and passes. GB has never been enamored with Grant's receiving skills. As I understand it, that's the same reason the Jets picked up LT...catching the ball out of the backfield. In a PPR league, that's pretty important.
Yes, this is a biggie in my opinion. We've all seen just how horrible Green is catching balls out of the backfield, while with Jackson this is probably his greatest strength. And if we are talking about PPR (which we are since i'm the OP, lol), this adds a lot of value to Jackson. In fact, if it wasn't PPR rules, then i would not even think twice and i would say that Green is the way to go. Something which adds to Green's value in this conversation, on the other hand, is the keeper criteria. I don't think that there is an argument regarding talent --green is simply the more talented overall back. And in keeper leagues, talent goes a long ways. So you got two big factors, both working against each other. Which leaves me at a loss. I think the best course of action is simply to hold our evaluations until tomorrow. With a real game under Jackson's belt, we'll see his value. Of course the weakness of his opponent is there, but nevertheless in my opinion it will be a test. What a glorious situation it would become if Bjak turned out Foster numbers tomorrow, lol. It would have the shark pool ablaze, as the hype train overflows with hypers...alas, i highly doubt even half of Foster's production is a possibility.

another person who hasn't seen Jackson play. There is really nothing dynamic about his play. He will gain some positive yardage, has really good hands, and is great in blitz pickup. He isn't overly fast and definitely doesn't play fast.
Yep.

Yep.
The other knock on Jackson is that his conditioning is not the best. He's not a workhorse back and is better suited to a situational role. I would rather have Greene.

basher said:
have you watched shonn greene? what do people like about this kid?

Did anyone drop Greene for Jackson this week? No? There's a reason for that.
Right they had other players who were more droppable.I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if a Greene owner tried to trade him for Jackson in a redraft league.At the moment Jackson is in a way better situation. A high powered offense with absolutely 0 competition for touches.Plus Jackson is a much better receiver

I think this thread shows, if nothing else, how incredibly overrated Greene was. I'm not saying he doesn't bounce back starting this week and have a great season. But the reason people can jump ship so very fast on a guy ranked as high as Greene was, is that there was an incredibly small body of work by Greene to demonstrate he is a top fantasy back. I actually like Greene reasonably well, but I knew there was no way on earth I would land him in a draft as he was ranked WAAAAYYY to high for me to consider him at his ADP. A lot of teams took this guy as their RB1. This may be a long season for them.

I will take Brandon Jackson all day. Jackson can catch the ball out of the backfield.....Greene will be lucky to catch 10 passes this year. He's in a much better offense.....I see Jackson getting 9-10 TDs pretty easily. Greene appears to be splitting carries with LT, and the split is going to be closer than many thought preseason.

That said, I don't think Jackson is that talented. The situation is just that much better.

Ahem. I hate to be that guy, but Jackson: 2.6 YPC, outrushed by Kuhn who also had a better YPC. He did chip in a TD for the people that started him. So I didn't see the game, but nothing in that stat line changes my impression: good situation, average RB, Green Bay will probably trade for or sign another RB ASAP.

Also interesting is the word that Packers and Bills may discuss a Lynch trade after the game. Paired with that report, it's more than a little suspicious that the Bills suddenly use Lynch as their primary ball carrier today. I will say it sounded like the Bills asking price in a trade is too high (heard they're looking for a starting offensive lineman + something else--good luck with that Buffalo).

Users who are viewing this thread