What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shooting at Ft. Hood (1 Viewer)

What did the President place at the pictures? A medal? It kind of looks like a coin though.
Chad, Dr. D can add more but among higher ranking military people, they will often have a personal "coin". It's just for them. Think of it like an uber cool business card. They will give them out to people for special occasions. I have a friend that is a retired 3 Star. He would give his coin when someone helped him in a really good way. For mission stuff, he would give them to people that played an important role in the mission. In that case, it's almost like a coach giving out a game ball. It's not talked a lot about among civilians but it's a pretty big deal for them. I would assume President Obama was giving them one of his coins. Sort of a personal version of giving them a medal I guess you could say.

J
Challenge Coin, a/k/a "General's Coin".ETA: "During the memorial service on 10 November 2009 for the victims of the tragedy at Fort Hood on 5 November 2009, President Barack Obama placed his Commander's Coin on each of the memorials erected for the victims"

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe Bryant said:
cartel said:
Still, my guess is there will be several people that will lose their military careers over this matter when the dust settles.
Thank you cartel. Much appreciate the insights. Much better than the news coverage it seems.On the losing career thing, how would that play out do you think? And with all the talk yesterday about fear of reporting a Muslim for looking like discrimination and such, do you give any stock to that?J
I think the big issue will be the ground rounds this guy gave. It was highly inflammatory and had know place in academic medical setting much less at a military function. The fact that the his advisor and the program director did not move to terminate this guy based on this will likely be a big deal. I have a buddy (and fellow footballguy that rarely posts) who is doing many of the interviews for the military around this issue. He mentioned that depending on how things play out this could even cost the Hospital Commander of the WRAMC at the time his job (he is currently a General).If you have not seen the Grand Rounds it is linked to in the Washington Post from today.

Joe Bryant said:
Further, this underperforming resident was given a fellowship after residency.
I'd ask the same thing Bart did - how does this happen?Is this normal?J
If you need a warm body you may take a substandard resident and the fellowship he was part of had difficulty filling at times. However, this guy was beyond substandard. He was known to attempt to convert psych patients to Islam. This is unethical on multiple levels. I thought he was on his way out when I left after my Chief year. The fact he graduated really leaves a black mark on a program that I had held in high regard.

Joe Bryant said:
cartel said:
Still, my guess is there will be several people that will lose their military careers over this matter when the dust settles.
Thank you cartel. Much appreciate the insights. Much better than the news coverage it seems.On the losing career thing, how would that play out do you think? And with all the talk yesterday about fear of reporting a Muslim for looking like discrimination and such, do you give any stock to that?J
I think the big issue will be the ground rounds this guy gave. It was highly inflammatory and had know place in academic medical setting much less at a military function. The fact that the his advisor and the program director did not move to terminate this guy based on this will likely be a big deal. I have a buddy (and fellow footballguy that rarely posts) who is doing many of the interviews for the military around this issue. He mentioned that depending on how things play out this could even cost the Hospital Commander of the WRAMC at the time his job (he is currently a General).If you have not seen the Grand Rounds it is linked to in the Washington Post from today.
Thanks cartel. Appreciate the insights.J

There hasn't been much reporting outside the service yesterday. Are these things still true? Anyone?

-Shooter not talking to police, but otherwise fine. Not charged yet.

-The 30 or so other victims all will seemingly live and recover. Anybody know how many still in hospital?

-Is the female cop that took a couple in the line still in the hospital?

-The 911 tapes are being suppressed I guess for some reason. I don't really care one way or the other. All they seem to do is serve as cable TV news fodder.

OK, so does anyone have a problem with the accuracy of Barack Obama's statement, "But this much we do know – no faith justifies these murderous and craven acts..." ??
How could it be inaccurate? Nothing justifies these acts, certainly not ones faith. It is a pretty general statement, that only implies the murderer's faith might have played a role. I thought Obama could have gone a little further, but his statement was very good overall. At least there were no shout outs.

OK, so does anyone have a problem with the accuracy of Barack Obama's statement, "But this much we do know – no faith justifies these murderous and craven acts..." ??
How could it be inaccurate? Nothing justifies these acts, certainly not ones faith. It is a pretty general statement, that only implies the murderer's faith might have played a role. I thought Obama could have gone a little further, but his statement was very good overall. At least there were no shout outs.
OK, I may have misinterpreted what the President was saying, then. If he was saying there was no justification for these murderous and craven acts, that is fine. But if he is saying no religion justifies these murderous and craven acts, I would argue there is one religion that does seem to justify exactly this sort of thing.

OK, I may have misinterpreted what the President was saying, then. If he was saying there was no justification for these murderous and craven acts, that is fine. But if he is saying no religion justifies these murderous and craven acts, I would argue there is one religion that does seem to justify exactly this sort of thing.
Then you would be wrong. It is an extreme interpretation of Islam that justifies the killing of innocents. The majority of Muslims living around the world, to the best of my knowledge, do not believe this. Certainly the vast majority of American Muslims do not.If you have evidence that Islam justifies the Fort Hood shootings, please present it.

Then you would be wrong. It is an extreme interpretation of Islam that justifies the killing of innocents. The majority of Muslims living around the world, to the best of my knowledge, do not believe this. Certainly the vast majority of American Muslims do not.If you have evidence that Islam justifies the Fort Hood shootings, please present it.
No evidence other than what I see in the papers... pretty much every time there is an incident like this, either here or abroad, it seems it's one or more Muslims doing it in the name of Islam. And the only people saying that is not Islam seem to be other westerners, such as yourself, who probably would have hesitated to have reported Hasan for fear of being accused of being bigoted against Islam for doing so.

No evidence other than what I see in the papers... pretty much every time there is an incident like this, either here or abroad, it seems it's one or more Muslims doing it in the name of Islam. And the only people saying that is not Islam seem to be other westerners, such as yourself, who probably would have hesitated to have reported Hasan for fear of being accused of being bigoted against Islam for doing so.
If you have read my posts in this thread, you would know that this is not the case, and that I took a considerable amount of flack for suggesting right after this happened that this event was religiously motivated. But you need to be very careful with making such a broad statement. Hasan is an Islamist, which is an extreme form of radical Muslim. He does not represent the majority of Muslims, any more than Hasidic Jews represent Judiasm. There are over 15,000 Muslims serving honorably in the armed services of the United States. Today is the day we should be thanking them for their service, rather than attempting to tie all of them to an evil man like Hasan.

what papers are you reading?do you think abortion doctor killers are representative of all Christians?

what papers are you reading?do you think abortion doctor killers are representative of all Christians?
What papers are you reading that don't tie Muslim extremism with terrorism? JIDF has a list of Muslims tied to terrorism - and this is in the U.S. only.

What papers are you reading that don't tie Muslim extremism with terrorism? JIDF has a list of Muslims tied to terrorism - and this is in the U.S. only.
why would the most extreme members be considered representative of an entire faith?

What did the President place at the pictures? A medal? It kind of looks like a coin though.
Chad, Dr. D can add more but among higher ranking military people, they will often have a personal "coin". It's just for them. Think of it like an uber cool business card. They will give them out to people for special occasions. I have a friend that is a retired 3 Star. He would give his coin when someone helped him in a really good way. For mission stuff, he would give them to people that played an important role in the mission. In that case, it's almost like a coach giving out a game ball. It's not talked a lot about among civilians but it's a pretty big deal for them. I would assume President Obama was giving them one of his coins. Sort of a personal version of giving them a medal I guess you could say.J
Never heard of that, that is pretty cool.

why would the most extreme members be considered representative of an entire faith?
I guess part of the problem may be that the extremists blend in with the rest of the mainstream Muslims and we don't know they are extremists until they do something like the Ft. Hood deal. Meanwhile, I believe there is a perception that mainstream Muslims at least tolerate the extremists' activities. So I could be totally wrong as to the reality of the situation with respect to the majority of muslims... but one thing I am not wrong about is they have a public relations problem right now, and I don't see anyone within the Islamic community doing anythng to fix it.

I guess part of the problem may be that the extremists blend in with the rest of the mainstream Muslims and we don't know they are extremists until they do something like the Ft. Hood deal. Meanwhile, I believe there is a perception that mainstream Muslims at least tolerate the extremists' activities. So I could be totally wrong as to the reality of the situation with respect to the majority of muslims... but one thing I am not wrong about is they have a public relations problem right now, and I don't see anyone within the Islamic community doing anythng to fix it.
Just curious, do you hold Christianity responsible for the terrorist attacks against abortion clinics, doctors, and staff?http://www.prochoice.org/pubs_research/pub...lence_stats.pdf

Ed Brayton got this right yesterday:
Here's what I think is very important to remember on this issue: There is not one Islam but many Islams, just as there is not one Christianity but many Christianities. The Christianity of Fred Phelps is different from the Christianity of Jerry Falwell, which is different from the Christianity of Jim Wallis, which is different from the Christianity of Barry Lynn or Bishop Spong.

The disagreements between these groups are so deep and so fundamental that it is absurd to group them under the same label. At one extreme are gay-affirming clergy and at the other extreme are those who want to put gays to death. At one extreme are those who want a complete separation between church and state and at the other are those who advocate a brutal theocracy.

The same is true of Islam. The Islam of Osama Bin Laden is not the same as the Islam of Muqtedar Khan or Louis Sufay. And just like the Bible contains enough contradictory statements that one can find inspiration and support for everything from sublime kindness to the most depraved barbarism, the same is true of the Quran. Decent, caring people will find plenty of support for being decent and caring in either the Bible or the Quran; cruel, brutal people will find plenty of support for cruelty and brutality.

We need to stop thinking of major religions as a single monolithic group. They simply don't fit that narrative.

Meanwhile, I believe there is a perception that mainstream Muslims at least tolerate the extremists' activities. So I could be totally wrong as to the reality of the situation with respect to the majority of muslims... but one thing I am not wrong about is they have a public relations problem right now, and I don't see anyone within the Islamic community doing anythng to fix it.
How hard are you looking?

Ed Brayton got this right yesterday:
Here's what I think is very important to remember on this issue: There is not one Islam but many Islams, just as there is not one Christianity but many Christianities. The Christianity of Fred Phelps is different from the Christianity of Jerry Falwell, which is different from the Christianity of Jim Wallis, which is different from the Christianity of Barry Lynn or Bishop Spong.

The disagreements between these groups are so deep and so fundamental that it is absurd to group them under the same label. At one extreme are gay-affirming clergy and at the other extreme are those who want to put gays to death. At one extreme are those who want a complete separation between church and state and at the other are those who advocate a brutal theocracy.

The same is true of Islam. The Islam of Osama Bin Laden is not the same as the Islam of Muqtedar Khan or Louis Sufay. And just like the Bible contains enough contradictory statements that one can find inspiration and support for everything from sublime kindness to the most depraved barbarism, the same is true of the Quran. Decent, caring people will find plenty of support for being decent and caring in either the Bible or the Quran; cruel, brutal people will find plenty of support for cruelty and brutality.

We need to stop thinking of major religions as a single monolithic group. They simply don't fit that narrative.
Thanks MT.I had something along this discussion this morning.

And much of my question comes from my ignorance of Islam.

But my question is something like this:

I have a pretty good idea how Westboro Baptist fits in with Christian believers as a whole. In my opinion, the people in the Westboro group (not just Westboro but people as radical as them) are a minuscule percentage of Christians. If it were a pie chart, they'd be an imperceptible sliver way less than 1%. I hear you on the Christian faith not being monolithic, but relative to Westboro, I'm comfortable saying it is. In my opinion the "Westboro Group" is 1) miles out on the very furthest fringe and 2) an imperceptibly small number of folks. (even if they garner a large amount of attention)

My optimistic nature wants to assume to that whatever we want to label as this Radical Muslim group (folks that think Hasan did the right thing) are an equally minuscule slice of the Islam pie chart. But I honestly don't know if that's accurate.

Do you have a feel for that?

And this might be better with it's own thread.

J

Meanwhile, I believe there is a perception that mainstream Muslims at least tolerate the extremists' activities. So I could be totally wrong as to the reality of the situation with respect to the majority of muslims... but one thing I am not wrong about is they have a public relations problem right now, and I don't see anyone within the Islamic community doing anythng to fix it.
It's all well and good to denounce this terrorist act after the fact but where are they on a regular basis? Where is the Million Muslim March in support of the US and against the radical element of their own people? Where are their own organizations that weed out the danger from within. Who are the big voices among US Muslims that we could hear from on a regular basis showing progress within the community denouncing these types of things before they happen.I'm sure there are people working to this goal and incidents have been prevented due to tips from law-abiding Muslims, but until the community comes together as a whole in support of this country there will be more attacks like those at Ft. Hood, only on ordinary citizens.

I'm sick of only hearing from them after the fact.

It's all well and good to denounce this terrorist act after the fact but where are they on a regular basis? Where is the Million Muslim March in support of the US and against the radical element of their own people? Where are their own organizations that weed out the danger from within. Who are the big voices among US Muslims that we could hear from on a regular basis showing progress within the community denouncing these types of things before they happen.I'm sure there are people working to this goal and incidents have been prevented due to tips from law-abiding Muslims, but until the community comes together as a whole in support of this country there will be more attacks like those at Ft. Hood, only on ordinary citizens.

:no:

:moneybag:
This was a lonely, sexually frustrated, failure at life, narcissist who latched on the fringes of a mainstream religion to excuse his depraved behaviors. Maybe instead of blaming our Muslim neighbors for the action Hasan we should reach out to them. If we probably go a lot further to a peaceful coexistence.

This was a lonely, sexually frustrated, failure at life, narcissist who latched on the fringes of a mainstream religion to excuse his depraved behaviors. Maybe instead of blaming our Muslim neighbors for the action Hasan we should reach out to them. If we probably go a lot further to a peaceful coexistence.
That would be way too tough for some Cartel.

I appreciate that you have some intimate knowledge of Hasan here cartel so you can take the Ft. Hood shooting out of the equation and I still stand by my comments. I felt no different before the tragedy. Do you not agree there needs to be some vocal opposition from within the Muslim community so law-abiding and honest citizens can come forward without fear of retaliation from within?

:goodposting:
This was a lonely, sexually frustrated, failure at life, narcissist who latched on the fringes of a mainstream religion to excuse his depraved behaviors.
and who's to say this is any different from many suicide bombers overseas? A terrorist is a terrorist.

Just got back from Tampa for the Packer game and saw a lot of people gathering around town. I didn't know but one of those killed was from our very small town here in Kiel, WI (Sgt. Kruger) and there was a very nice memorial service for her at a local park. It's a shame that it takes a tragedy like this to bring everyone together.

This was a lonely, sexually frustrated, failure at life, narcissist who latched on the fringes of a mainstream religion to excuse his depraved behaviors.
and who's to say this is any different from many suicide bombers overseas? A terrorist is a terrorist.
Suicide bombers overseas are usually much younger, are barely educated, and come from lower socioeconomic class. They are quite unlike Eric Rudolph or Hasan who were loners bent on doing harm based on their skewed views on religion and politics. Suicide bombers in Afghanistan, Iraq, or in Gaza are normally driven to it by family and an ideology created by group behavior. Sometimes they are persuaded to doing it by peers and family or even sold into it. Rudolph and Hasan had choices but chose to inflict pain on their fellow man anyway which to me makes them all the more unstable and dangerous than a typical suicide bomber who feels their only way to a good life is via heaven.

Suicide bombers overseas are usually much younger, are barely educated, and come from lower socioeconomic class. They are quite unlike Eric Rudolph or Hasan who were loners bent on doing harm based on their skewed views on religion and politics. Suicide bombers in Afghanistan, Iraq, or in Gaza are normally driven to it by family and an ideology created by group behavior. Sometimes they are persuaded to doing it by peers and family or even sold into it. Rudolph and Hasan had choices but chose to inflict pain on their fellow man anyway which to me makes them all the more unstable and dangerous than a typical suicide bomber who feels their only way to a good life is via heaven.
Usually. Normally. Sometimes. No one says they're all alike.The end result is always the same when they carry out their objective.

Rudolph and Hasan are both terrorists.

Usually. Normally. Sometimes. No one says they're all alike.
Well you want to compare them, I'm telling you it's not really a great comparison. Typical suicide bombers and Hasan and Rudolph are not very alike up to the act itself.
The end result is always the same when they carry out their objective.

Rudolph and Hasan are both terrorists.
Agree on these

I appreciate that you have some intimate knowledge of Hasan here cartel so you can take the Ft. Hood shooting out of the equation and I still stand by my comments. I felt no different before the tragedy. Do you not agree there needs to be some vocal opposition from within the Muslim community so law-abiding and honest citizens can come forward without fear of retaliation from within?
I guess I am at a loss at your point. How many American born muslims had carried out this type of violence in the name of Allah on American soil? There have been a lot of similar type terrostic type violence by the white supremicists, antiabortionists or just random crazies but not muslims (except perhaps the DC sniper). I think the muslim community as a whole (not the idiot fringe) is just as horrified and the rest of America.

Thanks for contrasting.

During the Civil Rights Movement, there were plenty of people that thought that violence was the proper means to the end. Dr. King was always at the forefront urging a peaceful resolution. Same thing with Gandhi during the turbulent times he and his people went through. It was through peace that they achieved their objectives. I'd like to see someone big in the Muslim community be out in front of these times as well.

During the Civil Rights Movement, there were plenty of people that thought that violence was the proper means to the end. Dr. King was always at the forefront urging a peaceful resolution. Same thing with Gandhi during the turbulent times he and his people went through. It was through peace that they achieved their objectives. I'd like to see someone big in the Muslim community be out in front of these times as well.
Seems like that is a part of the problem. The strucure of Islam is still based on a hierarchical structure. Much like pre-reformation Christianity. The Catholic church still has a similar structure, but their power was greatly reduced by the protestant movement.When authority gives direction it doesn't really appear like there is much room for questioning.

Didn't search this thread so if this has already been posted sorry.

I work for the DOD and received this email today if anyone is interested.

= = = = = = = = = = = = =

Public Donations

= = = = = = = = = = = = =

FORT HOOD, TX - Officials at this sprawling Central Texas Army post have announced opportunities for the public to donate to various agencies on the installation honoring the Soldiers and family members affected by the mass shooting on post yesterday.

Checks can be mailed to:

Chaplain's Fund Office

Bldg 44, 761st Tank Battalion Ave.

Fort Hood, TX 76544-5000

Checks should be made payable to "CTOF" (Chapel's Tithes and Offerings Fund) with a note on the memo line stating "Nov. 5 Tragedy."

Contributions on behalf of Fort Hood Soldiers can also be made to:

Fisher House

Bldg 36015, Fisher Lane

Ft Hood Texas 76544

If you have questions about the Fisher House operation, phone (254)286-7927 or (254)286-7929.

Donations can be made to Red Cross:

Killeen Red Cross

208 W. Ave. A,

Killeen, Texas 76541

Phone (254) 200-4400 or visit their website: www.waco.redcross.org

And finally, donations can be made to the USO at the following:

USO Fort Hood

Building # 1871, 50th St.

Fort Hood, Texas, 76544

Phone: (254) 768-2771 or visit their website at www.uso.org

# # # END # # #

Given the latest news that Hasan had business cards printed up with "Soldier of Allah" printed on them along with his communications with radical Imams I think we can safely point in the direction of saying this was a terrorist attack. I was wondering when our security would slip enough to see another one - made it eight years. Hopefully next time we can make it at least nine.

I am hoping we see terrorism charges appended to what he has been charged with so far. To not do so now reeks of the PC BS that earned us this travesty.

Given the latest news that Hasan had business cards printed up with "Soldier of Allah" printed on them along with his communications with radical Imams I think we can safely point in the direction of saying this was a terrorist attack. I was wondering when our security would slip enough to see another one - made it eight years. Hopefully next time we can make it at least nine.I am hoping we see terrorism charges appended to what he has been charged with so far. To not do so now reeks of the PC BS that earned us this travesty.
There was no "PC" business that "earned" us this travesty.

Given the latest news that Hasan had business cards printed up with "Soldier of Allah" printed on them along with his communications with radical Imams I think we can safely point in the direction of saying this was a terrorist attack. I was wondering when our security would slip enough to see another one - made it eight years. Hopefully next time we can make it at least nine.I am hoping we see terrorism charges appended to what he has been charged with so far. To not do so now reeks of the PC BS that earned us this travesty.
There is already info that suggest PC played a role. I see two reasons people looked the other way.1. People were afraid to look racists by trying to remove this guy2. Higher ups believed this guy was just looking for an out to going to combatfeel free to add more explanations. But this guy did everything he could to inform the world he was a jihadist. You are never going to get more red flags then this guy threw up.

Wow, how can anyone be so dense?

There is already info that suggest PC played a role. I see two reasons people looked the other way.1. People were afraid to look racists by trying to remove this guy2. Higher ups believed this guy was just looking for an out to going to combatfeel free to add more explanations. But this guy did everything he could to inform the world he was a jihadist. You are never going to get more red flags then this guy threw up.
My opinioon is that his superiors didn’t understand just how mentally sick and unbalanced he was and like bureaucracies of any size, it is much easier to move a problem than deal with it yourself.

My opinioon is that his superiors didn’t understand just how mentally sick and unbalanced he was and like bureaucracies of any size, it is much easier to move a problem than deal with it yourself.
Holy #### man, open your eyes. Sick and unbalanced??? Holy ####

:lmao: :rolleyes:

Good question!, i can't image why that poster would think we "earned" this! Crazy isn't it how people think? But I wouldn't call him dense for it, its a bit off putting. Some people just have more simplisitic world views than others. Hang in there, maybe he will come around.

Users who are viewing this thread