What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sidney Rice - a possible return to fantasy gold? (2 Viewers)

He was already dropped in one of my redrafts. Im pondering dropping Roberts or Stills for him, because I was the guy who bailed on Rice early last year only to see him go on to score 6 TDs in 7 weeks. I think Tate has improved though (or at least last year proved he might be their WR1 and not Rice,), Baldwin is healthy, and Kearse is at least viable, so his situation might even be worse and thats not considering Harvin coming back mid-year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I drafted this turd high in the startup for a shallow dynasty league a few years ago. One of the worst picks I have ever made. All he has done since then is take up space. It looks like more of the same this season. Is he finally droppable now in dynasty leagues? Can't wait to be rid of this curse.
I would scoop him up immediately if I was in your league. I think Rice is by far the most talented WR in Seattle, but Seattle is not a place where WRs thrive. If he lands somewhere like New England next year, he has top 15 potential. I know he's not a FA next year, but his salary will be $8.5 million. You don't pay a WR that kind of money if you are only throwing him the ball 5 times a game. So I think he'll get cut.
I drafted him in 4th of 5th round of startup in 2011, during lockout when he was a FA and did not yet know his landing spot. Was instantly bummed when he landed in Seattle and nothing since ever changed that.

I finally cut him last week and it's a 21 roster league. Have zero regrets and I'm thin at WR. Someone did bid about $250 of $1,000 budget on him. That's like a double win.

He won't do squat this year. He played 16 games last year and got 80 targets. There are not many useful WR's who only get 80 targets. This year he's on pace for 64 targets and Harvin has not even started playing yet. He is nothing and will be nothing this year. At absolute best a draft masters player who will sometimes make a big play. I'd rather roll out guys like Nate Burleson than him this year.

As for the future. Sure he likely gets cut and most places are better than Seattle but he's not getting healthier, he's just getting older.

He's played 6 years in the NFL and had one good season. 4 years ago with a HOF QB. Give up. It's over. He's not turning back the clock and he's not getting any younger or healthier.
Sounds like you are trying to talk yourself into feeling better. He may have only had 80 or 81 targets last year but he still finished WR29. If he goes somewhere that he gets 120 targets in 2014, he'll easily be WR2 material. The talent is there, the targets are not. No reason to cut bait with 21 man rosters, but you probably won't feel the regret until next year.

Also, he's not old. Isn't he like 27? He played 18 straight games last year and looks healthy so far this year.

I drafted this turd high in the startup for a shallow dynasty league a few years ago. One of the worst picks I have ever made. All he has done since then is take up space. It looks like more of the same this season. Is he finally droppable now in dynasty leagues? Can't wait to be rid of this curse.
I would scoop him up immediately if I was in your league. I think Rice is by far the most talented WR in Seattle, but Seattle is not a place where WRs thrive. If he lands somewhere like New England next year, he has top 15 potential. I know he's not a FA next year, but his salary will be $8.5 million. You don't pay a WR that kind of money if you are only throwing him the ball 5 times a game. So I think he'll get cut.
I drafted him in 4th of 5th round of startup in 2011, during lockout when he was a FA and did not yet know his landing spot. Was instantly bummed when he landed in Seattle and nothing since ever changed that.

I finally cut him last week and it's a 21 roster league. Have zero regrets and I'm thin at WR. Someone did bid about $250 of $1,000 budget on him. That's like a double win.

He won't do squat this year. He played 16 games last year and got 80 targets. There are not many useful WR's who only get 80 targets. This year he's on pace for 64 targets and Harvin has not even started playing yet. He is nothing and will be nothing this year. At absolute best a draft masters player who will sometimes make a big play. I'd rather roll out guys like Nate Burleson than him this year.

As for the future. Sure he likely gets cut and most places are better than Seattle but he's not getting healthier, he's just getting older.

He's played 6 years in the NFL and had one good season. 4 years ago with a HOF QB. Give up. It's over. He's not turning back the clock and he's not getting any younger or healthier.
Sounds like you are trying to talk yourself into feeling better. He may have only had 80 or 81 targets last year but he still finished WR29. If he goes somewhere that he gets 120 targets in 2014, he'll easily be WR2 material. The talent is there, the targets are not. No reason to cut bait with 21 man rosters, but you probably won't feel the regret until next year.

Also, he's not old. Isn't he like 27? He played 18 straight games last year and looks healthy so far this year.
Why would I have been trying to talk myself into feeling better BEFORE he had a good game? Huh?

I stand by what I wrote and read the bolded part. He's good for a big game or two, but the lack of targets and knee issues will render him inconsistent.

He was already dropped in one of my redrafts. Im pondering dropping Roberts or Stills for him, because I was the guy who bailed on Rice early last year only to see him go on to score 6 TDs in 7 weeks. I think Tate has improved though (or at least last year proved he might be their WR1 and not Rice,), Baldwin is healthy, and Kearse is at least viable, so his situation might even be worse and thats not considering Harvin coming back mid-year.
Yeah, I wish I did this last week because Im definitely dropping Stills and probably Roberts but now unlikely to get Rice :kicksrock:

Why would I have been trying to talk myself into feeling better BEFORE he had a good game? Huh?

I stand by what I wrote and read the bolded part. He's good for a big game or two, but the lack of targets and knee issues will render him inconsistent.
Well, my guess is that you were trying to talk yourself into feeling better because, somewhere deep down in your fantasy football heart, you had to know that cutting a guy who finished WR29 last year in a league with 21-man rosters was a mistake. Especially when you are thin at WR. It just didn't make sense. I know we can't predict which games he'll get 7 targets, but if you are thin at WR then you have to hang onto guys with his talent and hope he gets cut next year and signed by a team that will throw him the ball 7-9 times a game, every game. I can't fathom cutting him in a dynasty league.

Well, my guess is that you were trying to talk yourself into feeling better because, somewhere deep down in your fantasy football heart, you had to know that cutting a guy who finished WR29 last year in a league with 21-man rosters was a mistake. Especially when you are thin at WR. It just didn't make sense. I know we can't predict which games he'll get 7 targets, but if you are thin at WR then you have to hang onto guys with his talent and hope he gets cut next year and signed by a team that will throw him the ball 7-9 times a game, every game. I can't fathom cutting him in a dynasty league.
He averaged 10.5 fantasy points per game. Before they added Harvin. You can call that WR29 all you want but in per game average, which is all I care about, he was WR52.

Meager production and flying to Switzerland during training camp to have his knee worked and somehow that classifies as a player that can't be cut? No sir, not me. I trust my ability to find something I can count on more on the waiver wire with that open spot a lot more than that.

According to the historical data dominator, he finished WR43 in PPG, but that includes players like Donte Stallworth (played 1 game). Regardless, if you are in a competitive 12-team 21-roster league, you aren't going to find a top 40 WR on the waiver wire. And you are still ignoring his 2014 potential on a new team.

Also, I don't know if you know this, but Harvin is going to miss the majority of the season so I'm not sure why you brought that up.

Just out of curiosity, who did you pick up when you dropped him?

FF Ninja said:
According to the historical data dominator, he finished WR43 in PPG, but that includes players like Donte Stallworth (played 1 game). Regardless, if you are in a competitive 12-team 21-roster league, you aren't going to find a top 40 WR on the waiver wire. And you are still ignoring his 2014 potential on a new team.

Also, I don't know if you know this, but Harvin is going to miss the majority of the season so I'm not sure why you brought that up.

Just out of curiosity, who did you pick up when you dropped him?
PPR leagues he was WR52 in PPG. He was at least in the standard PPR league I cut him.

He averaged about 10 FPG last year. Even after a huge game he's on the same pace.He's a solid mid teen round draft masters pick, not someone you want in your weekly lineup.

The biggest thing to get across and only reason I'm carrying on in this conversation is you act so shocked that someone could cut Rice. That makes no sense to me and just to prove my point.

In a $750 FFPC dynasty league I'm in he was cut last week. He was on waivers this week for everyone to bid on. With 12 teams all with a decent amount of their $1,000 bid money he got bought for $22 yesterday. Their were two losing bids, for $2 and $11.

That's the dynasty value of Sidney Rice in a nutshell. People are cutting him and it's not a frenzy to pick him up.

Yes of course I know Harvin is out but Rice was not good last year when Harvin was not on the team and as I pointed out even after a big game he's on the same pace as last season. And Harvin is coming back this year so it's not like Rice is going to be a huge asset to teams later in the year and there are not a lot of targets to go around before Harvin got there.

Personally I don't see the value of holding a roster spot for a guy I'd only start out of desperation on the hope he gets cut, has a good landing and for once can not let poor health keep him off the field or ineffective. I'd rather be looking for the next big producer or even a solid steady producer than trying to hold onto the guy who was really sweet in 2009.

Again if you have a different opinion that's fine but what I fail to understand is how cutting this guy is a big deal and if the lack of bidding on him AFTER he had a huge game is not an indication I don't know what is.

Examples are nice, but that still only qualifies as anecdotal evidence. How many roster spots are there in this FFPC league? I can understand cutting him, especially in PPR, if he's your WR6 and will never see the lineup, but given a dynasty format, he has more value than this year's value in Seattle because there are a lot of situations where a 27 year old Rice could be a fantasy WR2 next year.

Either way, even if you found a dozen dynasty leagues where he was dropped and only received meager auction bids (which I think is unlikely), that would only prove that he's universally undervalued. I suggest you skim this article: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/05/09/injury-prone-value-targets-sidney-rice/

He is undervalued due to his lack of targets and injury history, but he finished 7th last year in PFF's Wide Receiver rating. The talent is definitely still there. I think he's worth hanging onto with the hope that he gets cut this offseason due to his cap number. There are at least a dozen teams where he would easily be the WR1 for them. Think about Sidney Rice on San Diego. I could see him being top 12 there.

FWIW, I don't own him in a single league. But I'd absolutely scoop him up if someone were to drop him.

6 of Rice's 7 TDs in 2012 came after week 6. Not coincidentally that's about the time the Seahawks took the training wheels off of Russell Wilson.

Rice was really consistent from week 6 to week 12 scoring in all but 2 of those games. The next three games were laughers and he rested week 17.

I expect him to be a pretty consistent producer going forward this season in spite of high target numbers because of TD production.

Rotoworld:

Sidney Rice is dealing with concussion-like symptoms.
Coach Pete Carroll made the disclosure in a Tuesday radio interview. Rice also suffered a knee injury in Monday night's win. With the Seahawks on a short week, it's unlikely Rice is ready to face the Bucs. Rice ended 2011 on injured reserve after suffering two concussions in three weeks.

Source: John Boyle on Twitter
Profootballtalk reports Sidney Rice has been diagnosed with a torn ACL.
Rice had been dealing with knee problems since the offseason, and also suffered a concussion in Monday night's win. The head injury is as concerning as the torn ACL for a player whose 2011 was cut short by two concussions in three weeks. When the 2013 season ends, Rice will have appeared in just 39 of a possible 64 games going back to 2009. It's quite possible Percy Harvin (hip) will take Rice's place in the starting lineup this Sunday.

Source: Profootballtalk on Twitter

Don't like being right when a guy rips his knee. But he was unstart able in any format before the injury

Rotoworld:

Seahawks placed WR Sidney Rice on injured reserve with a torn ACL, ending his season.
Rice tore his ACL and suffered a concussion is Monday night's win over the Rams. He's caught 97 passes for 1,463 yards and 12 touchdowns across 33 games played with Seattle in three seasons. Rice has likely played his last down as a member of the team barring a dramatic pay cut in the offseason. Rice will count $9.7 million against the salary cap in 2014 if he's on the roster compared to $2.4 million if he's released. Jermaine Kearse will replace Rice in the starting lineup until Percy Harvin (hip) is ready, which could be Sunday.

Rotoworld:

According to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport, the Seahawks are "likely" to release Sidney Rice.

Rapsheet is just stating the obvious, as cutting Rice — who's recovering from a torn ACL — will be a no-brainer move for a team that needs to lock up Richard Sherman and Earl Thomas between now and next offseason. Releasing Rice would clear over $7 million in cap space. Grossly overpaid since the day he signed his five-year, $41 million contract in July 2011, Rice is due an untenable $8.5 million. One of the league's least durable players, Rice has just 114 total catches since notching 83 in 2009.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Pete Carroll said Sidney Rice is way ahead of schedule in his recovery from ACL surgery.
Rice is roughly 3.5 months removed from his tear. "Within weeks he was back up with almost total reflection and extension and it's just almost an unheard of type of recovery," Carroll said. "It's so far ahead of schedule, so that's great for Sid. We'll see how that turns out, but right off the bat we've never seen anybody (recover) like that." Rice is fully expected to be cut, thus saving the Seahawks $7 million in cap room. Much like Jeremy Maclin, Rice will likely have to accept a one-year prove-it deal in free agency.

Source: Seattle Times

Honestly, my fear is that DeAndre Hopkins takes a Sidney Rice career trajectory. Anyone else have these same fears?

Eminence said:
Honestly, my fear is that DeAndre Hopkins takes a Sidney Rice career trajectory. Anyone else have these same fears?
First of all, that seems like a completely random association. Second, what exactly was Rice's trajectory? Looking like a stud in his only season with a good QB and WR1 targets and then being chronically injured and on teams with a bad QB and/or very few passing attempts?

I don't own him, but I do think Rice will be a productive WR if he ever finds himself both healthy and on a passing team (read: 120+ targets).

As for Hopkins, I don't think his upside is equal to what Rice's upside was when he came into the league. Rice was 3" taller and a bit more explosive. IIRC, the talk about Hopkins was that he was the most NFL ready WR in the class but didn't have the upside of some of the other guys like Austin and Patterson. I think Hopkins upside is Stevie Johnson. Solid, but unspectacular.

He's fantasy irrelevant at this point and probably even totally done in the NFL. He's a slow 6'4" WR that is always hurt. Plenty of rookie 6'3" and 6'-4" WRs in this draft to compete against.

He's fantasy irrelevant at this point and probably even totally done in the NFL. He's a slow 6'4" WR that is always hurt. Plenty of rookie 6'3" and 6'-4" WRs in this draft to compete against.
Disagree here. I think he'll easily make a roster if he can pass a physical. He's always been able to play when he's been healthy -- and Seattle releasing him was probably more about his bloated contract than a statement of "he's just done."

Rotoworld take:

Seahawks released WR Sidney Rice.

Rice, 27, signed a five-year, $41 million contract with Seattle in July of 2011 and missed 15 of a possible 48 regular season games with various injuries. His 2013 campaign ended in late October due to a torn ACL. Prior to that, he dealt with concussions. It was a no-brainer move for the Seahawks to cut ties with Rice and save $7.3 million versus the cap, as they need money to re-sign far more important players. Rice is said to be "way ahead" of schedule in his rehab but will almost certainly have to settle for a one-year deal in an effort to prove he's healthy. Rice's body is breaking down. He caught just 97 passes in three seasons with Seattle.

Related: Seahawks

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Pending a medical, possible Eric Decker replacement for the Broncos?

Twitter:

Pro Football Focus ‏@PFF

Rice will shoot to near top of FA WR rankings. Played well in '12, showed top end talent with elite '09 & only 27. Likely need prove it deal

I wouldn't mind the Vikings giving him a one year deal. Time to move on from knucklehead Jerome Simpson.

As Ninja commented, this is an odd, random association...

I think Rice had loads of potential. The initial hip injury was a big worry to me. It doesn't take a lot of loss in speed/agility etc. to lose your edge in the NFL.

Disagree here. I think he'll easily make a roster if he can pass a physical. He's always been able to play when he's been healthy -- and Seattle releasing him was probably more about his bloated contract than a statement of "he's just done."
Bolded is truth.

Hooper31 said:
Bolded is truth.
They both are true. If he was capable of producing over the course of a season then at the least, restructuring would be a very likeable option for both sides. As it is, he's often hurt and most likely won't be up to prime form in 2014. He might not be Done-done, but he's definitely very damaged goods.

DropKick said:
As Ninja commented, this is an odd, random association...

I think Rice had loads of potential. The initial hip injury was a big worry to me. It doesn't take a lot of loss in speed/agility etc. to lose your edge in the NFL.
So, for the record you don't think Hopkins + Rice are similar players?

Rotoworld:

The Charlotte Observer considers the Panthers a possible landing spot for free agent Sidney Rice.
Rice played college football at South Carolina and could be a fit at Z-receiver in the Panthers' offense. He's currently rehabbing from ACL surgery and is expected to be ready for training camp. Rice has major injury concerns, but would be a low-cost signing. Carolina is just $8.54 million under the 2014 cap.

Related: Panthers

Source: Charlotte Observer

Billy Ball if you are related to the Rice family I am sorry that I hurt your feelings. However, I consider a WR who has only 141 catches (1.7 catches per game) over the last 5 YEARS to be garbage. He has had a total of 1 good season (2009 thanks to Farve) in his entire career.

Rice could end up being on the following list from the past 25 years: players with a Top 10 fantasy season and no other season in the Top 25: Marcus Robinson, Drew Bennett, Roy Williams, Robert Clark, Willie Davis, Patrick Jeffers, Michael Westbrook, and Germaine Crowell.

I guess it's too soon to tell. Depends where he lands and if he can stay healthy.

Rotoworld:

USA Today's Tom Pelissero reports free agent Sidney Rice (knee) is "on track" to be cleared for the start of OTAs.
Rice tore his ACL on October 29. His new team might not push him much in OTAs, but Rice should be full go for minicamp and training camp this summer. He's been linked to the Panthers. Coach Pete Carroll also didn't rule out a return to the Seahawks. Injury-prone Rice will likely have to settle for a one-year deal.

Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Panthers do not want him. He's garbage
He's garbage? You know that's funny. What is your connection with the Panthers? Your post is garbage as you have no idea what Panthers are thinking.
I agree...we have NO CLUE what the Panthers are thinking...plus they have very little to work with cap-wise and need bodies at the position. They will likely have to take a chance on a retread (especially if they do not sign LaFell) and Rice is as good as any like that.

Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Seahawks are interested in re-signing free agent Sidney Rice.
Rice could take Golden Tate's old spot on the perimeter of Seattle's offense. Rice was released by the Seahawks in a needed cap maneuver, but the club still believes he can help their passing game. When healthy, Rice remains an effective winner of jump-balls and can score touchdowns. He's also only 27.

Related: Seahawks

Rotoworld:

The Jets and Saints are reportedly interested in free agent WR Sidney Rice.
Per NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, the Seahawks would also welcome a return. The Jets are certainly the neediest of the group, even after signing Eric Decker to be their No. 1. Still, Rice would just be a flier because he's coming off an ACL tear, was among the more injury-prone players in the league even before that and has only had one high-quality season (2009 with Brett Favre's Vikings).

Related: Saints, Seahawks, Jets

Rotoworld:

A league source tells Profootballtalk.com free agent Sidney Rice (ACL surgery) has been cleared for football activities.
He got cleared by Dr. James Andrews. PFT's Mike Florio reports the Seahawks, Giants, Saints, and Panthers all have "interest of some degree" in Rice, who has been incredibly injury prone in recent seasons but is still only 27 years old. He played college football at South Carolina and would be an excellent fit with the Panthers. Long-armed Rice has always possessed a large catch radius, which would complement Cam Newton's somewhat erratic ball placement.

Related: Panthers, Giants, Seahawks, Saints

Source: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

Hopefully Seattle can re-sign him. If the Panthers were smart they would sign him. He is still better than what they have on the roster currently.

Rice could end up being on the following list from the past 25 years: players with a Top 10 fantasy season and no other season in the Top 25: Marcus Robinson, Drew Bennett, Roy Williams, Robert Clark, Willie Davis, Patrick Jeffers, Michael Westbrook, and Germaine Crowell.

I guess it's too soon to tell. Depends where he lands and if he can stay healthy.
Ouch, I have had more than one guy on this list on my fantasy teams over the years...

Users who are viewing this thread