What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sneak Peek at the 2024 Footballguys Rookie Draft Guide (1 Viewer)

Love it! Really great job.

Will be interesting to see how the combine and landing spots change things, but I appreciate the info here.

Excellent first product!! Love the format and outline. Great tool to kick off the Dynasty and early rookie draft season!

That looks really nice.

I might color code the Big Board by position instead of college attended, but that's probably says more about the way I process information than anything.

Sam Hartman has as many years of college stats as Patrick Mahomes (who has won 3 SBs) has as a pro :lol:

Hey @Joe Bryant Looks great so far (though of course combine stuff missing)

Few things:

1) Nabers' stats are all wrong... Not sure which player/position those stats are for, but it's definitely not him.
2) Is Odunze's Analytics index really 80%? Less than the #4 WR Franklin (at 84%). He's pretty significantly below Nabers too, which I don't agree with, but I like him more than most
3) Is Franklin's composite really 0.98?. His composite is higher than Harrison, Nabers and Odunze. Likewise, Thomas and Worthy also have higher composites than The big 3. Unless I'm misunderstanding what the composite is, it basically says Franklin, Thomas and Worthy are near perfect prospects (if 1.0 is consensus #1)

Otherwise, this looks like it'll be really handy post-combine. 👍

Very nicely done, great presentation. I agree with the earlier suggestion of considering coloring by position instead of school.

Looks awesome. Love the big board. I'd love it even more if you highlighted the consensus tier breaks within the board.

Few things:

1) Nabers' stats are all wrong... Not sure which player/position those stats are for, but it's definitely not him.
2) Is Odunze's Analytics index really 80%? Less than the #4 WR Franklin (at 84%). He's pretty significantly below Nabers too, which I don't agree with, but I like him more than most
3) Is Franklin's composite really 0.98?. His composite is higher than Harrison, Nabers and Odunze. Likewise, Thomas and Worthy also have higher composites than The big 3. Unless I'm misunderstanding what the composite is, it basically says Franklin, Thomas and Worthy are near perfect prospects (if 1.0 is consensus #1)

Thank you for checking it out and for the feedback!

1) We've corrected Nabers, and new copies will reflect that. That is our bad; a design switch and some placeholder legacy information were not caught. I appreciate the call out there greatly.

2) Odunze and Franklin had very similar numbers per game, but Franklin did it a year earlier in school; the numbers will be like that. They favor earlier breakouts. I would point you to ask our Jay Stein if you have further questions about the analytic profile. He can be found on Twitter @_JasonStein

3) Composite comes from 247's recruiting database. Franklin was the number 3 WR in the class of 2021. Marvin Harrison Jr. was number 21, Malik Nabers was 19.

Thanks for this extremely comprehensive piece of work!

I wonder what goes into the actual rankings, versus the metrics. Jaylen Wright, if I'm being honest ... I'm not sure if I've heard of him. If he's found on other lists that I've looked at, I don't think I've seen him in the top 6 RB's. Likewise, he has lower scores than several of the RB's listed here. Somehow he ends up at #1 RB. Not trying to pick things apart, just wonder where that comes from.

Thanks for this extremely comprehensive piece of work!

I wonder what goes into the actual rankings, versus the metrics. Jaylen Wright, if I'm being honest ... I'm not sure if I've heard of him. If he's found on other lists that I've looked at, I don't think I've seen him in the top 6 RB's. Likewise, he has lower scores than several of the RB's listed here. Somehow he ends up at #1 RB. Not trying to pick things apart, just wonder where that comes from.

I can answer this. For this version 1.0, we all served as area scouts for a position, so they are not our composite rankings. (Composite rankings for position groups will be out with our next two versions)

For all players, we are strictly film-based analysts. We consider All-22 film in our processes, among other things, including translatable traits, etc... We have worked on this guide throughout the season to make sure that we have enough time to scout players and keep running profiles on all draft-eligible players. All three of us also have extensive knowledge of college football and have watched many of these prospects for their entire career. Jay Stein does our metric work, and he does incredible work. But these rankings are meant to give a full profile of positives and negatives with the rankings themselves coming off our film grades.

As for Jaylen Wright and other sites having him outside the top 6, I don't think that says we are wrong or they are. This 2024 class of running backs is one of the weaker years for the class. In my opinion, you could take our top-6, and all have them in the same tier before the combine and before the NFL draft. The Athletics Dane Brugler came out with his top-100 big board after we released version 1.0 and had Wright at 89 overall and essentially in the RB1 discussion with his rankings as well. (For reference he had five running backs ahead but all within 19 spots of each other) This running back class is essentially going to come down to landing spot and draft capital, but we believe in Wright's upside and talent. Based on his current ADP in dynasty startups, he is worth a flyer in any leagues that are currently drafting.

Love it! Really great job.

Will be interesting to see how the combine and landing spots change things, but I appreciate the info here.

Thank you @kutta

I too am interested in how the Combine changes things.

We'll have a big 2.0 Update to this right after the Combine. And it's always fun to see how things move.

Few things:

@4WhomJBellTolls Michael Wiley's stats are also wrong, and his last name is misspelled "Riley" in one place.

Few things:

@4WhomJBellTolls Michael Wiley's stats are also wrong, and his last name is misspelled "Riley" in one place.

Thank you. Updated version is now on the site ready for download.

Wow, I am very impressed. VERY deep at each position, and each player write-up has just enough info for a quick take. I will use this to narrow down to a short list at each position of players I will do a deeper dive on. Thanks!

Few things:

Thank you for checking it out and for the feedback!

1) We've corrected Nabers, and new copies will reflect that. That is our bad; a design switch and some placeholder legacy information were not caught. I appreciate the call out there greatly.

When I put together a similar PDF for something unrelated but similar in design, I stuck all the relevant details into a big Excel sheet, then used Power BI to create the design, then it was really just a case of mass duplicating the page, setting a page level filter, then it's done. I hope you have something vaguely similar that doesn't require a huge bunch of manual data input, but I would have thought you would have a system that wouldn't have required placeholder information in the first place

We pledged to continue to expand our Dynasty Coverage and we're delivering again. The Footballguys Rookie Draft Guide is ready for you here. https://rookieguide.footballguys.com/

150 players with more on the way.

Enjoy.
I'm a paying subscriber. Why do i have to sign up for another thing to access the information? It's a barrier i simply don't want to do. I get my daily emails already. I don't need any additional emails.

We pledged to continue to expand our Dynasty Coverage and we're delivering again. The Footballguys Rookie Draft Guide is ready for you here. https://rookieguide.footballguys.com/

150 players with more on the way.

Enjoy.
I'm a paying subscriber. Why do i have to sign up for another thing to access the information? It's a barrier i simply don't want to do. I get my daily emails already. I don't need any additional emails.

Hi @Tonycarpenter. If you're already a subscriber, you don't have to sign up for anything. You just enter your email and the Guide is instantly delivered to you. You have to enter your email so we can know it's you but there's nothing additional to sign up for. Enjoy!

So version 2.0 is out now, which requires a paid FBG subscription.

After seeing Michael Pratt ranked ahead of Michael Penix Jr. in version 1…yeah no thanks, I’ll pass.

After seeing Michael Pratt ranked ahead of Michael Penix Jr. in version 1…yeah no thanks, I’ll pass.

Thanks for the feedback there. We've long held the opinion that we owe it to our readers to share what our writers actually think. Regurgitating the same ADP everyone else is doing is safe. And won't draw any responses like yours. But if we believe something, we feel we owe it to the readers to share it. We had Pratt and Penix next to each other. That may well change as more information comes out in the time leading up to the draft. We'll see. One thing is certain in that we'll always ask our writers to share what they really think.

Last edited:

Sorry to hear that. Penix has settled into a consensus QB6 among the draft community and there are still questions about how his medical history will be viewed within league circles.

Our Christian Williams did the QB evals and he likes the athleticism Pratt brings to the position.

There is a disconnect among the fantasy football / devy community and the draft community. We do our best to try and bridge that gap. We feel it’s best for our readers to be conservative on Penix.

Thank you for your feedback.

Users who are viewing this thread