What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

So, my house burnt down to the ground today.. (1 Viewer)

SameSongNDance

Footballguy
I live with my parents and their million dollar house burnt down today. We were able to grab our dogs but lost our parakeets. I'm upset but mostly for my parents who worked their butts off to buy their dream home only to be forced to powerlessly stand by and watch is burn to the ground. This is just a friendly reminder that life is a #####.

Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry for you and your parents. Anything we can do please don't hesitate to ask. As I have learned this is a great community and we all stand behind you and are here for any support you may need.

That really sucks. I assume they are insured. Any reason for $100,000 gofundme goal?
My sister is still in shock, kind of crazy and I don't think she had any real goal in mind other than to raise funds. I'll tell her to lower it to something reasonable.

Fairfield, NJ. 

I feel awkward about asking for assistance but my sis started a gofundme. Really, if anything you can visit the link to see the carnage.

What a debacle of a day. I really do appreciate the kind words from everyone though.
That sucks, man.

Was their insurance up to date as far as what value will be covered?

And to be honest, you should feel awkward about asking for assistance via gofundme.  That's lame of your sister....sorry.

That sucks, man.

Was their insurance up to date as far as what value will be covered?

And to be honest, you should feel awkward about asking for assistance via gofundme.  That's lame of your sister....sorry.
Certainly is kind of odd , maybe unsavory. And I understand a million dollar house in NJ just like here in MA is probably 350k in Iowa for example . Tough days ahead but no need for 100k gofundme. Insurance.

Really sorry to hear that and sorry about the birds.  Glad your family and dogs got out

Thank goodness everyone was safe,sorry about the birds.You guys should check with the Red Cross,I hear that they can really help in these situations.

Damn man, that's some scary ####.  Glad everyone made it out unscathed.  Sucks losing your belongings and pets though. 

The house is insured, hopefully my parents will be able to recoup full value.

Lucky for me, all of my equity is tied up outside the house. I lost all of my clothes, gaming consoles, a TV and etc. but nothing of significant value..nothing that cannot be replaced.

Again, my sister is eccentric to put it lightly (living in a hotel room, in close quarters with my entire family may actually drive me crazy even if it's only temporary). I don't like gofundme in general, my first thought was "who the #### is going to give you any money" but she's going to do what she's going to do.

My old house burns down and I get a fist full of insurance money to redesign and rebuild from scratch?  Hell yes!

Went through this about a year and a half ago. Over the next few days, you will likely be contacted by public adjusters, who will claim to be your advocate in maximizing what the insurance company will have to pay. In my experience, your best option will be to tell them to piss off.

Went through this about a year and a half ago. Over the next few days, you will likely be contacted by public adjusters, who will claim to be your advocate in maximizing what the insurance company will have to pay. In my experience, your best option will be to tell them to piss off.
I think this depends on the state, the insurance company, the adjuster, etc. 

About 15 years ago one of our shopping centers burned down, and we were deluged by adjusters as well. It turned out to be good for us because the insurance company we had tried to screw us. I know that a house is a different animal, but I'd be careful about thinking you can do this by yourself. 

I think this depends on the state, the insurance company, the adjuster, etc. 

About 15 years ago one of our shopping centers burned down, and we were deluged by adjusters as well. It turned out to be good for us because the insurance company we had tried to screw us. I know that a house is a different animal, but I'd be careful about thinking you can do this by yourself. 
This is likely true, but be aware that hiring a PA will likely add 6mos to a year to the rebuild time.

This is likely true, but be aware that hiring a PA will likely add 6mos to a year to the rebuild time.
That's true too. But it's also a tactic that the insurance company will use: "Hey, you don't want to use an adjuster, do you? Let's just agree on X amount right now and I'll write you a check..." 

Plus there's a lot to think about- his parents may not want to deal with rebuilding. Often in these cases you can sell the property at a greater rate because there's somebody around (Otis?) excited by being able to build from scratch. 

Adjusters can be sleazy, so is the insurance company. Best to be careful, take your time over the next few weeks, think about all of your options. Best of luck! 

So I suppose it was the public adjusters who paid my burning house a visit to stick pamphlets in my mailbox, interesting. Thank you though, I'll keep this in mind.

Here's an 11 minute video of my house turning into a pile of ####. That room all the way to the left is where all those witty posts about how Trump supporters can't tie their shoes came from. Good times, good times.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did some strangers notify you that the house was on fire?  A quick google search said that they saved you - is that true?

Yeah, if the place was properly insured, the go-fund me shouldn't be necessary. Its a nice gesture for anyone who wants to throw in a few bucks, but any insurance company worth their salt (and with a million dollar house in Fairfield, I seriously hope they didn't go with some dumpy budget carrier) will be on the scene by lunch time tomorrow ready to cut a check for immediate expenses (hotel room, clothing, etc).

A family in my hometown (also in NJ) lost their massive house a few years back and a bunch of well meaning people raised a substantial amount of money for them. It was totally unnecessary (they were fully insured) and IMO, pretty dishonest to keep it.

Just my opinion. Best of luck in the rebuild. Regardless of the financial pain, I can't imagine what the family is going through emotionally.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, that sucks. At least everyone is ok. 

My neighor's house burnt down and he said he wished he would have talked to someone would had been through it. He had a rough time with clean crews and the insurance company iirc. 

AAABatteries said:
Did some strangers notify you that the house was on fire? A quick google search said that they saved you - is that true?
An off duty cop saw the fire from the road and started knocking on the door like a maniac. I'd say he likely saved some lives today, yeah.

So sorry to hear.  I truly can't imagine the stress and pain involved with something like this.  And I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your parakeets. :(   

One of my best friends had his dream home burn to the ground when half of he and his wife's stuff was moved in.  Also took out his Land Rover.   In an epic "could have been worse," his wife realized less that 12 hours prior that they'd lapsed on insurance (agent was suppose to notify them and didn't, but that wouldn't have mattered.). If it happened the day prior they'd have been out $750k cash.  So it sucks, but hoping you and family are insured and can recover.  

Sorry for any personal effects. :(

Last edited:
Same thing happened to my parents' house the end of March.  Insurance is a great thing, but you need to be aware that the contents aspect takes time.  My folks have received payment for the structure already, but the contents is frustrating them.

The insurance adjuster explained to them, and I have done so several times since, that they need to list everything in every room.  They need to try and come up with model numbers, costs of items and how long they've had it.  It's very time consuming, but the effort will payoff.

Hopefully your parents actually had some type of inventory already.  Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread