What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

So the Steelers got handed another Superbowl. (3 Viewers)

Bad officiating taints victories, not reviewing that play is absolutely terrible officiating.
In all likeyhood the Steelers would of won the game even with a review........however I am disappointed in the NFL that the play wasn't reviewed......I have seen too many "give me a break" what the heck are you reviewing in the last 2 minutes of a game during this past season that this being the Super Bowl this play wasn't reviewed. I am not ticked at the Steelers just at the NFL in general. I dont' give a rats behind what Al Michaels ( got kissed the behind that feeds me says) the call should of been reviewed.

Do you even know the definition of "paper champs"? They would be "paper champs" if they lost the game........ :bs: . You seriously should quit while you're behind. You may want to even create a new handle after tonight.
No way you can be that dense. No #### Sherlock, hence why I called them that. Because they didn't win it - without help from the refs. Why would I create a new handle? Because some random person on the internet disagrees with me? Only an insecure person would even fathom the idea.

I like how you're taking this as a personal attack and can't actually defend your position without taking shots at me. Insecurity must be a #####, huh?

Back to the actual game, Another BS call, was when Ben was barely hit and they called pass interference. The no-call on what should have been a intentional grounding or a in the grasp rule. Don't get me wrong, the in the grasp rule is nonsense, but so is throwing the ball away during an obvious sack to a part of the field where a Steeler isn't within 15 yards.
They showed the pocket clear as day on national TV and he was outside of it. Do we really have to bring that out for you too?????

The refs had some pretty bad calls, most went in Steelers favor, a BS late hit call on Big Ben, a TERRIBLE call on running over the holder...i think the late hit had a decent effect on the game. I do think the Cards got a good call, the right call, on Ben being down at the one, but they caught a break with the Fitz catch cause the tip of the ball did hit the end zone, surprised it hasnt been braught up...
Is there a precedent to make you think otherwise??? It is clearly a rule and clearly it was blatantly obvious. But keep grasping for nothing. We love it!
What am I grasping for??? Im not on either side of the arguement, i thought they both had calls go their way, IMO Steelers had a couple more. And how can you say it was blatantly obvious???? Hes falling forward in that direction, only saw it earlier but probably had some kind of contact with a Steeler lineman, and in the process of stumbling forward put his hands on the holder. He didnt dive at him, leap, nothing. It was a case of someone falling into the holder. So not worthy of the call. Its sad that you would actually call that a blantantly obvious penalty and worth 15yrds.
You really only call it falling forward and not a roughing penalty? Do I really have to bring up the video to show you??????? For Christ sakes, stop while youre not ahead.
The point is he he didn't lower his shoulder or make a move in any fashion to purposely hit the holder. He came of the edge, stumbled, and fell into he holder. Bring the video "for Christ's sake"

The refs had some pretty bad calls, most went in Steelers favor, a BS late hit call on Big Ben, a TERRIBLE call on running over the holder...i think the late hit had a decent effect on the game. I do think the Cards got a good call, the right call, on Ben being down at the one, but they caught a break with the Fitz catch cause the tip of the ball did hit the end zone, surprised it hasnt been braught up...
Is there a precedent to make you think otherwise??? It is clearly a rule and clearly it was blatantly obvious. But keep grasping for nothing. We love it!
What am I grasping for??? Im not on either side of the arguement, i thought they both had calls go their way, IMO Steelers had a couple more. And how can you say it was blatantly obvious???? Hes falling forward in that direction, only saw it earlier but probably had some kind of contact with a Steeler lineman, and in the process of stumbling forward put his hands on the holder. He didnt dive at him, leap, nothing. It was a case of someone falling into the holder. So not worthy of the call. Its sad that you would actually call that a blantantly obvious penalty and worth 15yrds.
You really only call it falling forward and not a roughing penalty? Do I really have to bring up the video to show you??????? For Christ sakes, stop while youre not ahead.
Post it so i can show you that he in fact was falling forward. Trust me, if he was reaching out for the block youd be able to tell. The kick was already on its way and he was stumbling forward. Id love you to post the video clip....

Do you even know the definition of "paper champs"? They would be "paper champs" if they lost the game........ :bs: . You seriously should quit while you're behind. You may want to even create a new handle after tonight.
No way you can be that dense. No #### Sherlock, hence why I called them that. Because they didn't win it - without help from the refs. Why would I create a new handle? Because some random person on the internet disagrees with me? Only an insecure person would even fathom the idea.

I like how you're taking this as a personal attack and can't actually defend your position without taking shots at me. Insecurity must be a #####, huh?

Back to the actual game, Another BS call, was when Ben was barely hit and they called pass interference. The no-call on what should have been a intentional grounding or a in the grasp rule. Don't get me wrong, the in the grasp rule is nonsense, but so is throwing the ball away during an obvious sack to a part of the field where a Steeler isn't within 15 yards.
They showed the pocket clear as day on national TV and he was outside of it. Do we really have to bring that out for you too?????
Do whatever you have to do so you can sleep at night defending your teams win to a bunch of strangers on the internet. This is high comedy for me.

Do you even know the definition of "paper champs"? They would be "paper champs" if they lost the game........ :lmao: . You seriously should quit while you're behind. You may want to even create a new handle after tonight.

You must of had a few too many pops during the game. There was a play earlier in the drive where he threw it to nobody, was inside the pocket and i think they called a penalty for a late hit instead.

Post it so i can show you that he in fact was falling forward. Trust me, if he was reaching out for the block youd be able to tell. The kick was already on its way and he was stumbling forward. Id love you to post the video clip....
Im looking and i will find it.but i dont care if he pulled up or even did a dance before he got to the holder. he hit the holder which is a 15 yard penalty. its been called a few times this year.

Do you even know the definition of "paper champs"? They would be "paper champs" if they lost the game........ :lmao: . You seriously should quit while you're behind. You may want to even create a new handle after tonight.

You must of had a few too many pops during the game. There was a play earlier in the drive where he threw it to nobody, was inside the pocket and i think they called a penalty for a late hit instead.
You mean the play where they clearly showed the red line where the tackle box was? Keep crying though. I love the taste of tears.......

Im looking and i will find it.but i dont care if he pulled up or even did a dance before he got to the holder. he hit the holder which is a 15 yard penalty. its been called a few times this year.
Roughing or Running Into Kicker or Holder

ARTICLE 3. a. When it is obvious that a scrimmage kick will be made, no opponent shall run into or rough the kicker or the holder of a place kick (A.R. 5-2-2-I and A.R. 9-1-3-I, III and VI).

1. Roughing is a personal foul that endangers the kicker or holder.

2. Running into the kicker or holder is a foul that occurs when the kicker or holder is displaced from his kicking or holding position but is not roughed (A.R. 9-1-3-II).

3. Incidental contact with a kicker or holder is not a foul.

4. The kicker and holder must be protected from injury, but contact that occurs when or after a scrimmage kick has been touched is not roughing or running into the kicker or holder.

5. The kicker of a scrimmage kick loses protection as a kicker when he has had a reasonable time to regain his balance (A.R. 9-1-3-IV).

6. A defensive player legally blocked into the kicker or holder by a member of the kicking team is not exempt from fouls for running into or roughing the kicker or holder. A defensive player illegally blocked into the kicker or holder by a member of the kicking team is exempt from fouls for running into or roughing the kicker or holder.

7. When a player, other than one who blocks a scrimmage kick, runs into or roughs the kicker or holder, it is a foul.

8. When in question whether the foul is “running into’’ or “roughing,’’ the foul is “roughing.’’
:lmao: This is all a moot point to begin with. They ended up scoring 3 points anyway. Still fun to see you squirm defending your team.

You mean the play where they clearly showed the red line where the tackle box was? Keep crying though. I love the taste of tears.......
See the line saying " a play earlier in the drive " ???? that there indicates that Im not talking about the same play, the one where they actually questioned the intentional grounding, but a DIFFERENT play on that drive where he was in the pocket and threw it away that was a very iffy call.

How do you not review that alleged fumble? IMO, Warner didn't fumble. He got hit while his arm was cocked, but he pased through the hit and then the ball popped out. I haven't seen the replay again, but several different peoples account of the play right before the half was that his elbow was down prior to scoring.The bottom line is that play should have been reviewed. Not even an inclining of doubt. What a garbage non-call.
1) The play wouldn't have been overturned on review.2) Even if it were overturned, that would leave the Cardinals at the 45 yard line with time for one play, needing a TD. So on the outside chance that the refs agreed with you, Arizona might have had, what, a 5% chance to win?Get over it.
His arm was moving forward before the fumble, how is that not an incomplete pass?It was. That was a BS call.

How do you not review that alleged fumble? IMO, Warner didn't fumble. He got hit while his arm was cocked, but he pased through the hit and then the ball popped out. I haven't seen the replay again, but several different peoples account of the play right before the half was that his elbow was down prior to scoring.The bottom line is that play should have been reviewed. Not even an inclining of doubt. What a garbage non-call.
1) The play wouldn't have been overturned on review.2) Even if it were overturned, that would leave the Cardinals at the 45 yard line with time for one play, needing a TD. So on the outside chance that the refs agreed with you, Arizona might have had, what, a 5% chance to win?Get over it.
His arm was moving forward before the fumble, how is that not an incomplete pass?It was. That was a BS call.
And they would have had the ball at the 30, not the 45. (Personal foul call)Speaking of personal foul calls, why wasn't Harrison called for one when he murdered the punter?

And they would have had the ball at the 30, not the 45. (Personal foul call)Speaking of personal foul calls, why wasn't Harrison called for one when he murdered the punter?
Because the NFL will not allow the Steelers to lose........Im getting tired of all this BS. You all can suck it!

Because the NFL will not allow the Steelers to lose........Im getting tired of all this BS. You all can suck it!
Don't give up now! We are stranger on the internet! You care what we think!!!!!!

Speaking of personal foul calls, why wasn't Harrison called for one when he murdered the punter?
These are the comments that remove any possible credibility or merit your arguments might otherwise have.You're only wrong on two points.1. Harrison was called for a personal foul.2. It wasn't the punter.Also, weren't you leaving three hours ago?By the way, extremely lame punk move by Harrison. I told my young son that there is never a reason to act like Harrison did on that play in any game. Unbecoming bullying for a defensive player of the year. That's not tough, blue-collar football. Embarrassing for the Steelers and their fans.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was pulling for the Cardinals and I had no money on the line or anything other than a fair game tonight. With that said, if anybody has not said it before, is that the first half officiating was the suck. The refs "helped" the Steelers big time in the first half and "helped" them to their points and field position in that half. The refs get a huge "F-" for the first half.

The second half was more fair and was a great half to watch as the refs did not interject the yellow all that much. In retrospect, I cannot think of a call in the second half that was not a questionable call. Even the play at the end of the game. I also may be getting some of the calls mixed up in my head... first half vs second half, but for the most part the second half was pretty good.

Overall grade though is a "D" because of the effect the first half had on the overall game. Things could have been much better overall.

Speaking of personal foul calls, why wasn't Harrison called for one when he murdered the punter?
These are the comments that remove any possible credibility or merit your arguments might otherwise have.You're only wrong on two points.

1. Harrison was called for a personal foul.

2. It wasn't the punter.

Also, weren't you leaving three hours ago?

By the way, extremely lame punk move by Harrison. I told my young son that there is never a reason to act like Harrison did on that play in any game. Unbecoming bullying for a defensive player of the year. That's not tough, blue-collar football. Embarrassing for the Steelers and their fans.
I'm not embarrassed at all over that, Harrison probably got tired of being held every other play the last couple weeks with no call, looks like Arizona saw the ravens game tape from last week and saw you can hold the guy all day and not get called but maybe once or twice... the guy is a class act and deserves more respect from the refs than what he got the last couple weeks, anybody would crack after being held that much...he can represent my team any day and I'm glad he does right now.

I wouldn't say the refs handed the SB to the steelers but they helped a lot...

I watched the return-TD several times and there is a clear holding (#26 pulls Warner on his shirt, while Warner tries to tackle Harrison) and a block in the back on Hightower.

The Cards lost because of the penalties and bad defensive play in the last two minutes of the game, but Harrison's TD helped a lot I guess...

Roughing or Running Into Kicker or Holder

ARTICLE 3. a. When it is obvious that a scrimmage kick will be made, no opponent shall run into or rough the kicker or the holder of a place kick (A.R. 5-2-2-I and A.R. 9-1-3-I, III and VI).

1. Roughing is a personal foul that endangers the kicker or holder.

2. Running into the kicker or holder is a foul that occurs when the kicker or holder is displaced from his kicking or holding position but is not roughed (A.R. 9-1-3-II).

3. Incidental contact with a kicker or holder is not a foul.

4. The kicker and holder must be protected from injury, but contact that occurs when or after a scrimmage kick has been touched is not roughing or running into the kicker or holder.

5. The kicker of a scrimmage kick loses protection as a kicker when he has had a reasonable time to regain his balance (A.R. 9-1-3-IV).

6. A defensive player legally blocked into the kicker or holder by a member of the kicking team is not exempt from fouls for running into or roughing the kicker or holder. A defensive player illegally blocked into the kicker or holder by a member of the kicking team is exempt from fouls for running into or roughing the kicker or holder.

7. When a player, other than one who blocks a scrimmage kick, runs into or roughs the kicker or holder, it is a foul.

8. When in question whether the foul is “running into’’ or “roughing,’’ the foul is “roughing.’’
:thumbup: This is all a moot point to begin with. They ended up scoring 3 points anyway. Still fun to see you squirm defending your team.
Thank you for posting the rule that shows that it was, in fact, a foul, and correctly called.The bolded is irrelevant in this situation, as the ball was not touched after the kick. This rule is referring to when the ball is touched after the kick, AKA a blocked kick. This concession in the rule is to allow the kicker and holder to be blocked by the defense attempting to return the blocked kick for a score or field position.

Please refer to part 7 of this rule for an accurate reference to the situation.

DISCLAIMER: this is just my interpretation of the rule. Please feel free to refute if I am incorrect.

Stop it. The Steelers won the Super Bowl fair and square. I don't like them either, but you have to respect them. Man up and salute one of the NFL's great franchises.
:thumbup: just think: it could have been the Dallas Cowboys winning a record-setting 6th Superbowl. We'd never hear that end of that..I'm just happy Pitt got there first! and they have great fans!and what's not to like about the Steelers' organization? :DWith or without penalties, Az couldn't/shouldn't have allowed a 100-yard INT for a TD..someone needed to make a play,somewhere..but Ben made some huge plays when it counted most..can't take anything away from the Steelers, they've earned this victory.. :P

Just bouncing in to say hello to the lovely Browns fans that have posted in this thread. Living in Ohio, I have a question: Why do you care about the Steelers more than your own team? Maybe if you pressured your management to not hire lame duck coaches you would compete every year. You should have burned the town down and set the river on fire again when they hired Mangina.

I do not have a dog in this fight but I find it funny that the Steeler fans are out in force wearing their blinders. The refs in this game was atrocious and if I was a Steeler fan I would be embarrassed at this point. As outlined in the above thread there were at least 5 calls at critical times of Steeler drives. The number of no calls on holds on AZ lineman got to be just lol funny. The "late hit" on Ben on one drive in the 2nd qt was pretty suspicious as well. Overall I wouldnt be running my mouth too much today if I was a fan.

ummm, if you actually watched the game al michaels stated right before the final snap that it WAS reviewed quickly upstairs and they didn't give the signal to the refs on the field to stop play...not sure how long you've watched football but the refs get a signal from upstairs IF there is a play in QUESTION.
Oddly enough...I could have sworn the Ref was trying to waive off/stop the Steelers kneel-down to end the game. It looked like he was rushing in shaking his head and waiving a "no" finger as Ben kneeled. But the second that knee was down, confetti was flying, and 1000 people headed onto the field...there was no way to review then.I honestly think that had this been any OTHER game...that would have been reviewed.All of that said....folks whining about officiating are off-base. The zebras did a credible job. The ONLY call of the game that seemed shaky was the Dansby roughing the passer...and that's the kind of call that happens all of the time anyway. Even had this been reviewed, I doubt it would be overturned. Even if it had been overturned, the odds of a TD play on the final play, from 40 yards out, were very very slim.Head high Cards fans...your team proved all of the skeptics wrong...but no whining now...you lost fair and square.

They didn't call pass interference, they called roughing the passer. You're right that it was a very iffy call, if not flat-out wrong. However, you are dead wrong when you say it should have been called intentional grounding or in the grasp.First-Ben moved outside the pocket, then threw the ball away, AS IS ALLOWED BY THE RULES.Second-No Cardinal had Ben "in the grasp." The hit took place a step after he threw the ball.Third-There isn't an "in the grasp" rule any longer. Perhaps you should know what you are talking about, by watching the game and knowing the rules before you start your fishing trips?

1 - It looked to me like the Steelers got the lion's share of the favourable calls in what was certainly a poorly officiated game. By maybe 60/40.

2 - On the other hand, the Cardinals got the benefit of the single biggest, most potentially game changing bad call in the game. The atrocious 4th quarter end zone holding call on the Steeler center, that negated what would likely have been a game-ending first down completion to the 20, and resulted in a quick nine point swing.

3 - Ben and Polamalu both look really fat.

They didn't call pass interference, they called roughing the passer. You're right that it was a very iffy call, if not flat-out wrong. However, you are dead wrong when you say it should have been called intentional grounding or in the grasp.First-Ben moved outside the pocket, then threw the ball away, AS IS ALLOWED BY THE RULES.Second-No Cardinal had Ben "in the grasp." The hit took place a step after he threw the ball.Third-There isn't an "in the grasp" rule any longer. Perhaps you should know what you are talking about, by watching the game and knowing the rules before you start your fishing trips?
The in the grasp rule is still there. Everything else you said is right on.These trips are far more fun then I thought they would be. Just throw out random accusations, half of them aren't even accurate to what transpired in the game. :confused: Let the show continue!

1 - It looked to me like the Steelers got the lion's share of the favourable calls in what was certainly a poorly officiated game. By maybe 60/40.

2 - On the other hand, the Cardinals got the benefit of the single biggest, most potentially game changing bad call in the game. The atrocious 4th quarter end zone holding call on the Steeler center, that negated what would likely have been a game-ending first down completion to the 20, and resulted in a quick nine point swing.

OK, being serious for a few.... how is that not a hold? You can't just grab a defender and pull him on top of you. I'm sure his intention was to make it look like he got rolled by the defender, but it was obvious he pulled him on top of him. Besides, if you watch the replay closely, you see him look at the camera and wink.

Refs key mistakes:

Block in the back on Hightower during the Harrison return.

I thought the hold in the endzone was pretty lame for the safety too but it probably was a hold.

No 15 yard excessive celebration penalty on Holmes for his Lebron imitation. Used the ball as a prop. Puts the ball 15 yards back on the kickoff.

The Warner "fumble" should have been OFFICALLY reviewed. Warner maintained possession until his hand started to move forward. There was no "open hand". McCauley blew this call earlier in the game and it was an easy call. So he blew it twice. Generally speaking the QB gets the benefit of the doubt of unless there is an obvious open hand situation. Tack on the 15 yard penalty and the Cards get one shot at end zone.

So where would the ball have been with both penalties added on?

The NFL is developing a nice history of questionable officiating in these close big games. I just want them to get the right thing and get the calls right. Overall the league has a major consistency issue with officiating.

So the season begins with Hochuli blowing an open hand called in Denver and ends with a misruled fumble in the Tampa.

The Steelers won fair and square but it is a shame about the officiating.

BTW, I don't think the refs decided the game...horrible refereeing, yes...but they didn't cost the Cards the game.Bad offensive playcalling and defensive playcalling cost the Cards the game...mostly the offensive playcalling. That and Warner's pick six.
The inability to stop Pittsburgh at the end of the game caused them to lose, one stop..game overRefs had nothing to do with it

Three years ago, there was no one more shameless in the national media, IMO, than Colin Cowherd. He embarrassed himself by refusing to acknowledge the Steelers as the Superbowl champions, and gave credibility to all the whiny Seattle fans.

But even Cowherd this morning is calling the complainers ridiculous and refusing to question the officials. Good for him...this time around.

:hey: A hold that blatant is always gonna get called. Every single time. And that first down wouldn't have ended the game. There still would have been close to 2 1/2 minutes left and Arizona still had two timeouts left. But don't let the facts get in the way of your distorted thinking. Also, I saw the last play of the game again, and that was definitely a fumble. I didn't see a particular shot of that play until a bit ago, but having seen it now, it was without a doubt a fumble.

OK, being serious for a few.... how is that not a hold? You can't just grab a defender and pull him on top of you. I'm sure his intention was to make it look like he got rolled by the defender, but it was obvious he pulled him on top of him. Besides, if you watch the replay closely, you see him look at the camera and wink.
I thought the opposite was obvious. The defender's line took him straight over the center. The hands didn't even seem to come into play until they were on their way to the turf.I think at best that's a ticky-tack "letter of the law" penalty of the kind you can only call in that position if you've been calling the holds REAL tight all game long. Which they clearly weren't because that AZ left tackle held his guy every play all game long.

It looked to me like it was clearly a case of the refs attempting to make a call that would prolong the drama and make the game "better" for the fans. I wouldn't doubt that they're instructed to do just that, without regard to which team they're helping out.

Yeah, right the refs are instructed to make the game more dramatic. :hey: Going to see Bigfoot on your next vacation?

I thought the opposite was obvious. The defender's line took him straight over the center. The hands didn't even seem to come into play until they were on their way to the turf.I think at best that's a ticky-tack "letter of the law" penalty of the kind you can only call in that position if you've been calling the holds REAL tight all game long. Which they clearly weren't because that AZ left tackle held his guy every play all game long.

It looked to me like it was clearly a case of the refs attempting to make a call that would prolong the drama and make the game "better" for the fans. I wouldn't doubt that they're instructed to do just that, without regard to which team they're helping out.

I do not have a dog in this fight but I find it funny that the Steeler fans are out in force wearing their blinders. The refs in this game was atrocious and if I was a Steeler fan I would be embarrassed at this point. As outlined in the above thread there were at least 5 calls at critical times of Steeler drives. The number of no calls on holds on AZ lineman got to be just lol funny. The "late hit" on Ben on one drive in the 2nd qt was pretty suspicious as well. Overall I wouldnt be running my mouth too much today if I was a fan.
I guess it's fortunate for us that's not the case.

If Tom Bady's infamous incomplete pass was incomplete .... if Cutlers pass this year vs SD was incomplete .... Warner's was incomplete too

Its baffling why they took 5 minutes to review 2-3 other plays, but in 30 second PIT was snapping to end the game. it was almost rush rush to allow PIT to win

PIT very likely would have won, but the right call would have been AZ ball at the spot of the incomplete pass with 6-7 seconds left

I guess it's fortunate for us that's not the case.
I don't "run my mouth" anyway but I do have a big ### smile on my face

If Tom Bady's infamous incomplete pass was incomplete .... if Cutlers pass this year vs SD was incomplete .... Warner's was incomplete tooIts baffling why they took 5 minutes to review 2-3 other plays, but in 30 second PIT was snapping to end the game. it was almost rush rush to allow PIT to winPIT very likely would have won, but the right call would have been AZ ball at the spot of the incomplete pass with 6-7 seconds left
:confused: you should stay "stealthy".

If Tom Bady's infamous incomplete pass was incomplete .... if Cutlers pass this year vs SD was incomplete .... Warner's was incomplete tooIts baffling why they took 5 minutes to review 2-3 other plays, but in 30 second PIT was snapping to end the game. it was almost rush rush to allow PIT to winPIT very likely would have won, but the right call would have been AZ ball at the spot of the incomplete pass with 6-7 seconds left
Actually, the right call was that Warner fumbled the ball. The fact that they didn't review if for 5 minutes doesn't change that.

Users who are viewing this thread