What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Sonos Wireless A/V system (1 Viewer)

ConstruxBoy

Kate's Daddy
Surprised I didn't find anything on a search. Or maybe it's a cult. Anyone use the Sonos A/V system? Like? Dislike?

I have a Heos. Buddy has Sonos.

Heos > Sonos IMO. I'd listen to both and try both apps.

Just started down the Sonos path...caught a good deal on the Play5 during the holiday shopping season at B&H and had gift card collecting dust.

The Sonos system is great - aside from not having Xbox Music as an option for wireless from the app, it has practically everything else, including the new Tidal. When I added a 2nd speaker (Play1) for upstairs, it took longer to get the thing out of the box than to connect to my existing Play5.

When I want to play music, I can search across multiple platforms - Spotify, Google Music, iTunes, Amazon music - to create playlists from tracks on each. And when I want a radio broadcast, it has TuneIn which is awesome and allows you save your favorite stations.

Have not tried Heos. Did not get the Spotify speaker offer either.

Bottom line: I use Sonos nearly each day, easy to use and sounds great, and I will be expanding my Sonos footprint over time. Now, I just want them to add Xbox Music and life would be better.

Curious how much is each Sonos speaker and the initial system? We are buying an 80's 2 story and would be awesome to set up a wireless system but know nothing about this.

I've had the Sonos system for about seven years. It's everything you could want. Amazing sound quality, and plays seamlessly, which can't be said for many of the competitors. Yes, it isn't cheap. Classic example of you get what you pay for. All the partners (spotify, pandora, google music) they've teamed up with really helps as well.

Just started down the Sonos path at Xmas. Took down the receiver, speakers and all the wires. It took at least twice as long to take down the old system and pile it up on the floor than it did to remove the Sonos speakers from the box and be listening to music.

Sonos is not cheap but it sounds great, looks great, and is easy to use. Big fan.

Sounds tempting. But what makes this so much better than one of the nice Jambox or Bose portable speakers that you can bring from room to room and send all the same music (spotify, pandora, etc) from your iPhone to it via Bluetooth?

Thanks for the good replies. Looking at the Playbar for a new room and then the Connect for my existing set up.

Sounds tempting. But what makes this so much better than one of the nice Jambox or Bose portable speakers that you can bring from room to room and send all the same music (spotify, pandora, etc) from your iPhone to it via Bluetooth?
I own a Heos 3 and a Bose Soundlink miniHeos: (Sonos shares these traits)

much louder.

Much cleaner sound at moderate to high volumes.

Range is that of full wifi network.

Ability to control multiple speakers independently with different sound sources.

Can only play audio from authorized apps, your music collection, or aux jack

Soundlink mini:

More portable / does not require power cord (has battery)

60-70pct smaller

Will play ANY sound source

Limited to Bluetooth range (~20-30')

Can't control multiple speakers thru house

Can't walk out of range without sound cutting out

In comparing the Heos 3 to a buddy's Sonos Play 3, the Heos was noticeable cleaner/fuller sounding overall. The low end is quite remarkable. It was able to hit louder volumes while still sounding clean.

My biggest issues with investing too much money in these systems is future proofing. Your networking and speaker are locked into the same box. If the speakers were fully wireless it would make sense... But given they are tethered to power outlets I anticipate you can (or will) be able to find a networking device and connect it to a superior speaker for less. Though the connective device WOULD need to recreate the Sonos/Heos ecosystem which is quite user friendly.

Also, one must keep in mind that these are generally mono speakers.... Making them more atmospheric than hi-fi. They will certainly fill most rooms with good sound, but sound staging of better stereo/surround systems is lost.

Overall these speakers are very cool, very easy to use... But I'm hesitant to tie up thousands by networking my whole home with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
It actually sounds good?

It actually sounds good?
You've apparently not listened to the Bose Soundlink mini. Pretty amazing sound out of a speaker the size of a stick of butter... and the small replaceable battery will get you 3 workdays of listening (at low volume) on one charge. Pretty impressive little device.

But yeah, the Sonos/Heos speakers do sound markedly better (especially at louder volumes), but to be fair, they're 4-6x the size (or more).

Man...I'd love to get into this. I've already got a NAS with all my music on it. I guess my ideal would be just to get a bridge/amplifier that connects my wireless library to something with powered speaker outputs. I'd then just install some in-wall or in-ceiling speakers of my own choosing. It looks like the Sonos Amp would do what I want, but $499 per amp! :shock: Heos is the same price. That's nuts. I could see $299...maybe $399...I feel like that's overkill. By the time I added a few decent in-wall speakers, I'd be at over $1,000 for just 1 room. I don't really want just a table-top speaker as I've got a Jambox for that...I wonder if there's a cheaper way to interface in-wall speakers...

Man...I'd love to get into this. I've already got a NAS with all my music on it. I guess my ideal would be just to get a bridge/amplifier that connects my wireless library to something with powered speaker outputs. I'd then just install some in-wall or in-ceiling speakers of my own choosing. It looks like the Sonos Amp would do what I want, but $499 per amp! :shock: Heos is the same price. That's nuts. I could see $299...maybe $399...I feel like that's overkill. By the time I added a few decent in-wall speakers, I'd be at over $1,000 for just 1 room. I don't really want just a table-top speaker as I've got a Jambox for that...I wonder if there's a cheaper way to interface in-wall speakers...
There appear to be lots of wifi audio receivers at $30-40 range. None seem to include built in amplifiers, however. Not to mention the slick app-based interface.

There would seem to be a place in the market for a Small box with wifi and bluetooth connectivity and amps of varying power levels, but has firmware integrated for app-based control. Especially if it was something small enough to mount to the back of an existing speaker.

The biggest issue is AC current required. Most speakers aren't super close to outlets. In wall speakers would require hard wiring AC lines to each location.... that's just something folks aren't willing to do.

WIreless electricity distribution will remedy this within the next 5, maybe 10 years. But for now, it's just not feasible I guess.

There appear to be lots of wifi audio receivers at $30-40 range. None seem to include built in amplifiers, however. Not to mention the slick app-based interface.

There would seem to be a place in the market for a Small box with wifi and bluetooth connectivity and amps of varying power levels, but has firmware integrated for app-based control. Especially if it was something small enough to mount to the back of an existing speaker.

The biggest issue is AC current required. Most speakers aren't super close to outlets. In wall speakers would require hard wiring AC lines to each location.... that's just something folks aren't willing to do.

WIreless electricity distribution will remedy this within the next 5, maybe 10 years. But for now, it's just not feasible I guess.
I hear you re. the wiring issues. I think having speakers with built-in amps would further complicate things. I'd much rather try and run a speaker wire through a wall between an amp and a speaker than try and run 120V AC as per code up to a speaker in the wall/ceiling.

I guess I just don't understand why having an interface board with the Sonos connectivity/functionality merged with what is probably an average-quality 55w dual channel amplifier should cost $499. There's not even a control screen on the unit. It's literally an interface and a small amp. But...I guess if the market will pay it, they can charge it.

If these things were $299, I'd buy 2 of them right now and hook them up to some outdoor speakers for my deck, and then install some in-ceiling speakers in the bedroom/bathroom. I'd love to have the ability to listen to whatever I want in those locations and control them via my phone.

I'm with a lot of you concerned with future compatibility though. I always laugh when we rent a house for a ski trip or something and it has some antiquated whole-house audio system that is so godly complex that nobody can figure it out, or has these huge wall-mounted controls, etc. They were probably awesome (and expensive) when they were first installed, but now they just look old.

I guess I just don't understand why having an interface board with the Sonos connectivity/functionality merged with what is probably an average-quality 55w dual channel amplifier should cost $499. There's not even a control screen on the unit. It's literally an interface and a small amp. But...I guess if the market will pay it, they can charge it.
Totally hear ya... there is a lot of money in these mini bluetooth/wifi speakers right now. Jawbone et-al breached the tech bridge of actually creating solid quality sound out of a tiny speaker.... but we've reached the point that they're $50-75 for solid quality ones. You've GOT to think the margins on Sonos/Heos speakers are massive. Of course... a $500 speaker is probably sold wholesale for $250 to vendors, which may put it's "cost" at $100-125.

There's also a chance they're amortizing the app development and updates into the speaker cost... as well as possible royalty fees paid to the streaming services they incorporate, maybe?

It's certainly a more complex equation an a simple traditional speaker setup.

In any case, it's yet another in a list of many many things that are being converged into the mobile phone ecosystem. eCommerce, Banking, Home automation, Navigation, All forms of communication (talk/text/email), Photo/Video, Gaming Platforms, Medical records/fitness tracking, etc etc... it's pretty remarkable the level of convergence that's occuring into one pocket size device.

I hear you re. the wiring issues. I think having speakers with built-in amps would further complicate things. I'd much rather try and run a speaker wire through a wall between an amp and a speaker than try and run 120V AC as per code up to a speaker in the wall/ceiling.

If these things were $299, I'd buy 2 of them right now and hook them up to some outdoor speakers for my deck, and then install some in-ceiling speakers in the bedroom/bathroom. I'd love to have the ability to listen to whatever I want in those locations and control them via my phone.

I'm with a lot of you concerned with future compatibility though. I always laugh when we rent a house for a ski trip or something and it has some antiquated whole-house audio system that is so godly complex that nobody can figure it out, or has these huge wall-mounted controls, etc. They were probably awesome (and expensive) when they were first installed, but now they just look old.
Just looked at the Heos, the 7 has 5 digital amps, 5 has 4 and the 3 has 2. The wireless amp is 100w x 2. All are class D.

Just looked at the Heos, the 7 has 5 digital amps, 5 has 4 and the 3 has 2. The wireless amp is 100w x 2. All are class D.
Yeah. Comparing Sonos Amp to Heos Amp, they look pretty similar. Within 5w/channel difference, and both Class D Amps. The only real differences I can see are the Sonos appears to have some sort of Ethernet switch built into it, while the Heos appears to have more input options, taking an Aux-in port, as well as a USB-in, as well as optical. I know the Heos can be connected via LAN cable, but not sure if the Sonos can (Unclear if the Ethernet ports are for Sonos connection, or simply for other devices using the Sonos as a wireless bridge). The form factors aren't really much of a differentiator.

I do wonder how compatability would compare going forward. Sonos has no affiliation with other A/V components, while Heos' Denon roots may make them work "optimally" with other Denon components down the road. Not sure if that's good or bad, but it could limit some things in the future.

In any case, it's yet another in a list of many many things that are being converged into the mobile phone ecosystem. eCommerce, Banking, Home automation, Navigation, All forms of communication (talk/text/email), Photo/Video, Gaming Platforms, Medical records/fitness tracking, etc etc... it's pretty remarkable the level of convergence that's occuring into one pocket size device.
Yet somehow there's no killer app for that yet.

The tech should be there for it, so what's the catch?

If you own music you need a HD/iTunes hooked up to the amp, your remote an app on your phone (could automatically update list when new songs added) and speakers. GPS could make your music follow you as you move from room to room (this may sound like Sci-Fi but geo-location in e.g. malls is already possible)....

One last question for Sonos guys: I don't have a true NAS, but if my PC or laptop are on my home network, can the Sonos system see them and play music/video from them? With iTunes, or without?

Santa got me two of the "Sonos 3" for X-Mas. 

These little guys sound pretty great. Set it up really quick this morning before I had to leave the house for some errands.

Bump for later and any expert tips - although every thing seems pretty straight forward.

Ran into an annoying issue where Sonos won't play older music in my iTunes.

Doing research the problem appears to be they are "protected". I didn't steal/borrow any of these they were either purchased in iTunes or were burned from my CD's.

Looks like I have to buy some Apple Match #### if I want to play these, mixed results online with that being 100% successful. With Pandora, spotify, etc I can get all these songs so more annoying than anything.

Speakers work great/sound though. Super easy to set up.

No getting around that protected music BS. I bought all that ####, should be able to play it. Oh well. I'm sure there is some reason as to what the hell thats all about.

These little guys sound pretty good. Was definitely doing myself a disservice using a little Jambox speaker in the kitchen.

Has a nice fadein / fadeout option between songs that licks then together nicely.

Been boozing lightly all day setting this up, setting up other toys. Got a light workout in, wife's making meatballs. Life is so much better when I don't have to spend half of it dealing with work bull#### :lol:

Bump to get some latest and greatest Sonos thoughts and advice.  

Helping my mom update her lakefront condo, and one of the tired things is one of those completely outdated intercom systems with a speaker box in the bedrooms.   It’s only a 2 bedroom, 2.5 bath, 2 story condo (probably 1,500 sf total) so an intercom system is totally unnecessary.   The wall boxes are so ugly and antiquated looking I want to just rip them out and patch up the drywall...but she does like to listen to music throughout the house through it. 

My thought is to set her up with a Sonos system.  Maybe the holes in the walls after removing intercom boxes could be made into recessed shelves for a Sonos speaker to sit on? 

I got an estimate for a more updated/modern looking intercom replacement to retrofit into existing wall locations and it came in at $2,200. Eff that, not happening. 

Any suggestions, tips, advice to look into Sonos setup that won’t break the bank?

Helping my mom update her lakefront condo, and one of the tired things is one of those completely outdated intercom systems with a speaker box in the bedrooms.   It’s only a 2 bedroom, 2.5 bath, 2 story condo (probably 1,500 sf total) so an intercom system is totally unnecessary.   The wall boxes are so ugly and antiquated looking I want to just rip them out and patch up the drywall...but she does like to listen to music throughout the house through it. 

My thought is to set her up with a Sonos system.  Maybe the holes in the walls after removing intercom boxes could be made into recessed shelves for a Sonos speaker to sit on? 

I got an estimate for a more updated/modern looking intercom replacement to retrofit into existing wall locations and it came in at $2,200. Eff that, not happening. 

Any suggestions, tips, advice to look into Sonos setup that won’t break the bank?
If she was listening to music through intercom speakers, then she might not be picky about superior sound quality. I mean SONOS might be overkill. You could probably hook up a squadron of echo dots or google home minis. 

I will say I got a single sonos speaker for a large open room in my house last year. It works great, sounds great. It's the one with Alexa built in, so we just tell it what to play and almost never use the app.

big Sonos fan here...we have them in every room of the house. My wife listens to music 24/7 and with a 13y/o daughter, there is always some music playing. 

One thing you can do with the holes is get regular speakers and wire them into a sonos connect. I know it kinda defeats the purpose of wireless, but we have a few rooms where we want in-wall or in-ceiling speakers and at the time, Sonos did not make them. I just checked their site and they do have in-wall now but the price is silly. Just get inexpensive speakers and some wire and put it into the Connect. You'll have to locate the Connect somewhere there is a power outlet. We put 4 in the attic (power was there) and another in the cabinet above my fridge and ran the cord down to where the fridge plugs in, and another in a closet where we ran an outlet. 

If she has any type of open concept, esp downstairs, one plug-in speaker can do the job. Just position it so it hits all the rooms. We have a few plug ins and they are great b/c I'll take one from a room we dont go in often and take outside when doing work. You can also get a surround sound set and those speakers double as music speakers when not watching TV

If you  dont want to break the bank, just add on over time. Thats basically what we did, added a speaker or 2 each year.  

If not looking to break the bank, I would check out the IKEA Sonos bookshelf speakers. Only $99 a pop and quite comparable to directly sold Sonos products.

It's not a retrofit into the walls but still a much cheaper option.

If not looking to break the bank, I would check out the IKEA Sonos bookshelf speakers. Only $99 a pop and quite comparable to directly sold Sonos products.

damn..thats a nice speaker and price! I like the look of those much better then the regular sonos ones!

Nice, this could be the ticket for the rooms with just speakers.    Look like all that is needed is an outlet/power source?

What would be needed along with it to make it work....basically able to play music throughout the house.   Is there a master system that is needed to pair these speakers to? 

Users who are viewing this thread