What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SpaceX - official thread (1 Viewer)

I tried watching it while on my way home from work, but some thunderclouds were in the way. Oh well, good for everyone involved!

If someone gets a link to the first stage landing on the ship please post.  CNN  never showed it.  They were pretty bad overall.
I was watching the direct launch coverage and they didn't show it either.  The camera on the first stage cut out on decent.  Commentators were taking about other stuff and then, boom, cut to camera showing first stage already perfectly positioned on the ship.

I was watching the direct launch coverage and they didn't show it either.  The camera on the first stage cut out on decent.  Commentators were taking about other stuff and then, boom, cut to camera showing first stage already perfectly positioned on the ship.
:lol:  we were watching the same feed - older daughter immediately said: "Fake Landing!"

ETA - they had been showing the ship, just moments before this, when that camera cut out, then they cut back to the stage 1, standing upright.

Last edited by a moderator:
What a win for Elon Musk, NASA and America.

Awesome coverage. Watched with the family, got chills.
One of my favorite comments and memes right now with all the chaos in cities around America plus Covids...

Congratulations Bob and Doug, wise move leaving the planet at this time.

The interior/seating of the capsule looks clean, plush, and comfy.  Like something we used to see in futuristic movies back in the day.

ETA:  Like the interior of a Tesla.  :D  

ETA2:  Contrast with a space shuttle control panel.

Amazing that they can have that level of precision when docking considering they are flying along at 16,000+ mph.
I hope they were going faster since the ISS is going over 17,000 mph... :P   But, to be honest, it doesn't matter how fast they are going with respect to earth.  It only matters how fast they are going with respect to each other.  They essentially need to be going 0 mph with respect to each other.  In that context, the precision maneuvering is easy peasy!

:lol:  we were watching the same feed - older daughter immediately said: "Fake Landing!"

ETA - they had been showing the ship, just moments before this, when that camera cut out, then they cut back to the stage 1, standing upright.
Yup...kind of like the autonomous driving he's been promising for 5 years.  If Musk can't get a camera to function on a ship on the most important day in SpaceX's history, I'm not banking on his cameras when I'm headed down the road to the local QT.

Yup...kind of like the autonomous driving he's been promising for 5 years.  If Musk can't get a camera to function on a ship on the most important day in SpaceX's history, I'm not banking on his cameras when I'm headed down the road to the local QT.
Can't tell if serious

too bad this happened the same time a bunch of riots broke out.   Was an historic day to be alive and see this happening.   What an achievement by Elon Musk and his company.    

The interior/seating of the capsule looks clean, plush, and comfy.  Like something we used to see in futuristic movies back in the day.

ETA:  Like the interior of a Tesla.  :D  

ETA2:  Contrast with a space shuttle control panel.
Electronics have certainly come a long, long way.  

The whole launch process from start to finish was something to see.  Absolutely nailed it.

Great experience, my brother sent me the NASA Youtube link a few minutes prior, also was watching on Discovery. The link was cool because I sent out to everyone I knew and a lot of folks reached back with a big thumbs up and that was in the middle of a pandemic and riots in full bloom everywhere. It's amazing what we can do when we work together as a team with a common goal. I felt despite the fighting here on Earth it was something to rally around. 

Musk scares me but the overall theme and what they're doing is awesome. I did read they have something in the vicinity of about 250 satellites from Space X orbiting the Earth now, would like to know more about what the purpose of all these are but in general it's all pretty amazing. 

Great experience, my brother sent me the NASA Youtube link a few minutes prior, also was watching on Discovery. The link was cool because I sent out to everyone I knew and a lot of folks reached back with a big thumbs up and that was in the middle of a pandemic and riots in full bloom everywhere. It's amazing what we can do when we work together as a team with a common goal. I felt despite the fighting here on Earth it was something to rally around. 

Musk scares me but the overall theme and what they're doing is awesome. I did read they have something in the vicinity of about 250 satellites from Space X orbiting the Earth now, would like to know more about what the purpose of all these are but in general it's all pretty amazing. 
Starlink is basically broadband internet that will cover the world like GPS does.   Pretty crazy to think you can have high speed internet in the middle of no where in just a few years.  

Did the phase 2 rocket come back for re-use as well?
There's no practical way to do this today.  When the 2nd stage lets go it's so high up that they need a way to keep it from being damaged (Think the tiles on the space shuttle).  

The way forward would be to start a series or re-entry burns to slow it down, but to accomplish such a thing would be more expensive to implement than simply letting it burn up in the atmosphere.  

looks shopped, and they got the date wrong.  today is the 3rd.
can't tell if serious, you are replying to a youtube of someone who copied the space x video (poorly) in attempt to grab views for his channel from people that can't tell the difference.

Just saw a previously scrubbed launch has been rescheduled for Oct 18.  I'll have the family at Disney then, but we've always wanted to check out the launch.  I remember seeing a Shuttle launch when I was 8 and I'll never forget it. 

For a guy driving over from Disney, where is the best place to check this out?  I don't have to have the best seat in the house, but if its easy enough I'd love to get a pretty good view.  Says its launching from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station - SLC 40.  

I've obviously googled this, but its turning up "best spots."  I don't want to have to  get there 4 hours early and fight people over spots (if its even like that).  I'm good with a good enough spot.   Thanks for any info.  

jb1020 said:
Just saw a previously scrubbed launch has been rescheduled for Oct 18.  I'll have the family at Disney then, but we've always wanted to check out the launch.  I remember seeing a Shuttle launch when I was 8 and I'll never forget it. 

For a guy driving over from Disney, where is the best place to check this out?  I don't have to have the best seat in the house, but if its easy enough I'd love to get a pretty good view.  Says its launching from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station - SLC 40.  

I've obviously googled this, but its turning up "best spots."  I don't want to have to  get there 4 hours early and fight people over spots (if its even like that).  I'm good with a good enough spot.   Thanks for any info.  
Are non-heavy launches really a big deal anymore?  With all the recent scrubs I doubt anyone is really counting on this going off on time.

I only know a few people that went to the launches and the absolute coolest thing I heard of was getting a  charter fishing boat to put them out in the water and watch it from there, then fish, which sounds pretty epic.

Are non-heavy launches really a big deal anymore?  With all the recent scrubs I doubt anyone is really counting on this going off on time.

I only know a few people that went to the launches and the absolute coolest thing I heard of was getting a  charter fishing boat to put them out in the water and watch it from there, then fish, which sounds pretty epic.
Yeah, I think it might not be that cool.  I was trying to find some info on the launch just a few minutes ago and it sounds like they will land the rocket on the drone ship.  That can't be seen from land can it?  

Might not be worth it at all to go?  

Yeah, I think it might not be that cool.  I was trying to find some info on the launch just a few minutes ago and it sounds like they will land the rocket on the drone ship.  That can't be seen from land can it?  

You can see the trails and feel and hear the launch pretty far up the coast.  I'm about 30 miles north of the Cape and most of the Falcon variants shake our house. Anywhere closer to the Cape on US 1 like by Titusville I bet you can get a really good view.

It depends on how far out they have to put the drone ship, but in general no you won't see it.

It depends on how far out they have to put the drone ship, but in general no you won't see it.
They set up huge buffer zones offshore, from launch and recovery operation.

"Four hours prior to launch, all ocean-going traffic will be restricted from entering an area measured from nine miles north and south of the launch pad and extending 64 miles east into the ocean."

They set up huge buffer zones offshore, from launch and recovery operation.

"Four hours prior to launch, all ocean-going traffic will be restricted from entering an area measured from nine miles north and south of the launch pad and extending 64 miles east into the ocean."
9 miles north or south would be visible I would think. We don't lose sight of the lighthouse or buildings until the 10-12 mile range with the naked eye.

Users who are viewing this thread